Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Thu Sept 12 2019 17:12:38

eBay Screws Up Notice of Mandatory Payments Enrollment

eBay screwed up an important notice about Managed Payments, giving sellers another reason to be leery of eBay's decision to inject itself into the payment process on its marketplace.

eBay sent an email notice to many sellers this week informing them they are required to register for Managed Payments by October 22nd - otherwise they won't be able to create new listings. But the subject line of the email notification read: "Count on BIG sales with these items," which was also the title of a marketing email some users received, according to sellers.

In addition, many sellers reported receiving the email notice as one long, dense paragraph of text, making it difficult to read (see post #12 on this thread of the eBay boards for a screenshot). And some said this was the first notice they had received.

The transition to Managed Payments is a big deal. Once sellers enroll, their buyers no longer pay them - instead, buyers pay eBay, and eBay then disburses the funds to sellers. For those used to having immediate access to funds in their PayPal account, it can have a serious impact on their finances.

The timing of the email notification is troubling and could be seen as a breach of trust given that eBay has promised it would not spring changes on sellers during the all-important holiday shopping season (the Managed Payments deadline falls exactly 9 weeks before Christmas Eve).

Sellers may find themselves encountering technical and disbursement issues as well as cash-flow issues that could make it difficult for them to acquire fresh inventory during the busy holiday shopping season.

For those looking for confirmation that eBay is forcing more sellers into Managed Payments, here's what eBay manager Brian Burke wrote on the eBay seller boards (Post #43): "As we continue on our path towards managed payments, we will require sellers invited to register. We are being very deliberate in who we invite since we do not yet support Global Shipping Program or eBay Charity Listings yet, yet have been clear that managed payments is coming for all sellers. Sellers who have been invited to managed payments can be required to register. Sellers who haven’t received an email shouldn’t concern themselves with managed payments at this time."

eBay had the opportunity to be forthright with sellers about the mandatory rollout schedule during the recent Fall Seller Update, and sellers may end up taking issue with the fact it chose not to do so.

Perminate Link for eBay Screws Up Notice of Mandatory Payments Enrollment   eBay Screws Up Notice of Mandatory Payments Enrollment

by: b86fiero This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 12 17:45:19 2019

I have been in managed payments for several months.

Yes indeed, sellers in MP need to be cognizant of the fact that they will need a hefty balance in their Paypal account to pay for shipping labels or a credit card alternative as we head into the holiday selling season.  It can take up to 5 days for transfers into Paypal from bank accounts funded by MP payouts.  That lag time may cause depleted Paypal accounts where a backup funding source will be necessary to pay shipping costs. It is hard to judge shipping costs on a daily basis now and as (hopefully) holiday gift sales increase the need to have adequate funds available could put unexpected pressure on sellers.  A percent back credit card might be the smart back up to your Paypal account if you are using it to pay for eBay shipping labels.

Holiday selling season with its high volume of payments passing through eBay / Adyen is uncharted territory.  Will payouts take longer to process?  Will the system falter over charge backs and return refunds?

When will it be safe to spend those profits you earned?

by: Silver Ice King This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 12 19:01:09 2019

I guess Ebay is still having problems achieving the 10% of Sales mark that they are allowed to process outside of Paypal since July of this year.  I am hearing of more and more sellers that are closing their Ebay accounts rather than register for Mangled Payments.  Based on this email, if in fact it was actually supposed to have been sent and is not just another fiasco perpetrated by the outsourced company in charge of Ebay mailings now, it appears that the number of Sellers saying no way is running much higher than Devin and his cronies ever anticipated.

Wenig said that either Sellers will make the change or they will not sell on Ebay and it is starting to look like this was the last straw for many of Ebays sellers who have been getting more and more tired of Ebay trying to run their businesses for them when they cannot even run their own properly.  I also believe that Ebay had planned on using their processing on Stub Hub as part of their 10% and now that they are openly shopping Stub Hub they are making a new sudden push on Ebay Sellers.

Naturally this has to be happening just before or during the 4th quarter as Ebay has historically made major changes just before the busiest time of the year for their Sellers in hopes of raking in more money into their coffers while never giving a moments consideration as to what it is costing their Sellers.  I guess this year they may just find out not only what it is costing Sellers but this year may very well wind up costing Ebay even more and cause the 4th quarter to be another earnings nightmare to explain to Wall Street and their Shareholders.

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Thu Sep 12 19:07:45 2019

Etsy has been doing this for a few years now.
SALES TAXES Paid by our customers are NOT disclosed or accounted for in our "finances" section. Absolutely no mention whatsoever.
Instead there's just "missing money" in the FUZZY MATH they do on our accounting page.
VERY SUSPECT.
We suggest the IRS gets involved QUICKLY.

by: Jairib This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 12 20:23:58 2019

Ebay is having a very hard time convincing sellers to trust them with their money.  There is absolutely no reason it should take them 5 days to disburse our funds.  None.  Etsy uses Adyen and sends MY money the very next day.  Etsy also lets you purchase your shipping labels right from the funds of your sale, they don't make you pay up front through PP which they are not using any more. And etsy takes out the money you owe them right away.  Then you at least know the money that comes through is yours.This entire process was poorly thought out & poorly implemented.  No GSP??  That is dumb too.  My ebay account has been hacked several times over the years & they expect me to trust them with my bank account information?  Nope. I am sorry.  Now, if I was still making the sales I used to on there site I might consider it. However, I am not.  The changes they have implemented have severely impacted my sales.  I am down 50% from last year. I am TRS with 100% feedback, I sell things people want at good prices. My sales are up on every other platform. And I am not the only one losing sales.  And now?  Now there are plenty of other options.  I have diversified. Etsy, PM, Mercari, Bonanza, ecrater, Ruby Lane, Chairish, Amazon, FB Marketplace, Instagram, etc. Not to mention you can open your own website very easily on Shopify or Go Daddy or Ecommerce.  Ebay may live to regret this, they are losing sellers & sales. You can only charge the sellers that are left so much more before they are gone too.  Get it working correctly with the options & perks & protections (arguably)PP offers, maybe sellers would be more interested in your payments. But as I see it right now they stand to lose more than they gain with this mess.

by: seb This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 12 20:45:07 2019

I've had an eBay account since 1998, top seller and 100% feedback. The day Managed Payments become mandatory is the day I close my eBay store and other eBay account. I'll be done with eBay after that.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 12 23:15:36 2019

Sadly, I am one of those people that was "invited" (via a shotgun in my back) to the nightmare known as The Norsemans Payment Plan.

Like with any good mafia company - Im being FORCED into it and I dont like it one bit. EIther I comply or out come the baseball bats, the metal crowbars and the broken windows/fire/theft from my store.

Right out of the Sopranos or Goodfellas or The Godfather - the "boys" come down and TELL YOU - "either you do it LIKE THIS GOING FURTHER" OR ELSE.

Burn down you business = kick you off the platform.

But why? Well we all know the reasons why but MINE isnt because of the 2-3 day delay in getting payments, its not the loss of GSP sales (of which I almost never get because eBays take is so damn high - no one wants to use GSP), and not because I love Paypal so much - but because Id rather face Leatherface with a 3 foot chainsaw - then give that idiot in San Jose control over my business.

What happens when any of the 1000 things that go wrong on eBay happen. IDIOT BURKE (my pet goldfish is smarter then he is) says "oh just deal with eBay CS as normal - THEY will help".

Help what? Like the do with returns? like they do with listings? like they do with VERO ?

Do I get a coupon for a free drink @ Walkers each time I fight to fight with some over seas nitwit?

Can I trust eBay, after knowing them for 20+ years ? NO, but what choice do I have????

No, I wont be leaving eBay - just using their platform to make as many off eBay sales as possible. I will be getting someone to do Instagram and Facebook to show off my items - using eBay as a free website. ANY possible way to hurt eBay is my new task - once Idiotpay begins.

I still say and it continues on - eBay - come and TRY to sue me for slander. I do my UTMOST to email as many financial companies about you as possible. Its my goal to get YOUR STOCK to $15 a share - even if it takes me the next 20 years.

I dont like you and I dont trust you - and I want as little to do with you as possible - just host my listings and get out of the way.

Saddam Huessain was more trustworthy then you, Pol Pot was more reliable, and Goering told less lies.

Life on eBay will go on - just crappier aka eBay 2.0

by: maxmad This user has validated their user name.

Fri Sep 13 05:28:42 2019

Mandatory Payments Enrollment processed at a foreign company (Adyen) for everyone except for,,,,,,,,China sellers

Not sure you can get any more Anti-American then that

by: angryllama This user has validated their user name.

Fri Sep 13 06:43:49 2019

Yesterday, 9/12/2019 I too received this GAWDAWFUL Threatening Missive from eBay's BrainTrust.  Yes, it was the DENSE all-one mishMash of words as described.  Yes, it was the FIRST threatening such letter from eBay even though it falsely stated that I had previously been told to sign up.

My current plan is to IGNORE this B.S. to the max.  Moreso, I look forward to seeing MORE articles here describing who, how and how often attempts to tell eBay Bozos to P*ss up a Rope has come out in the end.

WHO in their right mind thinks it SANE and GOOD BUSINESS to threaten Active, Customers (we who SELL are eBay's REAL customers) with Death and Destruction while their MIRACLE CURE MANAGED PAYMENTS is still in BETA?
For those BAFFLED by the term BETA.  it is programmer shorthand for "We proposed this MONTHS ago, tried to make it work and NOW months later it STILL does not work..... Maybe this time next year?

by: thievesBay This user has validated their user name.

Fri Sep 13 13:05:23 2019

@angryllama Just about everything eBay does seems to be a Beta release. No testing, no quality control, just total incompetence. That's Devin Wenig's legacy, a culture of total incompetence at the helm of the sinking ship....

This user has validated their user name. by: NoMoreEbay

Fri Sep 13 13:16:01 2019

Each despicable thing (attack) ebay has done to sellers for over a decade has resulted in a group of seller's leaving. Each seller having their own line of enough-is-enough.

Looks like Mauled Payments is the next line for many.

by: notfunanymore This user has validated their user name.

Fri Sep 13 13:26:24 2019

So they hold your money for 5 days. Multiply that by the amount of transactions each day on eBay. I have to think they’ll ALWAYS have a running balance of a few hundred million in their banks from sellers. So they get interest on the money along with RE-investing YOUR MONEY!!  It’s another quiet money grab. Investors will love it because they’ll do nothing and make more money on the backs of the people taking ALL the risk. So the fall seller update is a cloaked money grab..

by: angryllama This user has validated their user name.

Fri Sep 13 13:30:46 2019

Update.   EBAY actually sent me a   MEA CULPA  eMail thru messaging that I was one of the UNLUCKY ones who received this previously referenced JOIN OR DIE message in error.

Apparently, NOBODY was supposed to receive that message.

OOPSIE ....

Will Wonders Never Cease?

by: thievesBay This user has validated their user name.

Fri Sep 13 13:37:38 2019

@notfunanymore Correct. The longer they hold everyone's money, the more they will make on it. Everything they do is a scheme for money. Deserved, undeserved, by theft or fraud, they don't care as long as they get their cut.

by: thievesBay This user has validated their user name.

Fri Sep 13 13:43:13 2019

@angryllama They've probably had 10 retractions this year for message errors, eBay Bucks errors, promotion errors. They literally can't do ANYTHING correctly. Complete joke of a company. And they think everyone should trust them in control of our money and access to our bank accounts? Hell no!

This user has validated their user name. by: CanBrit

Fri Sep 13 13:47:39 2019

@pace306

I was terrified one of those awful messages would end up in my inbox, but thankfully I was spared. For whatever reason, I am so thankful and lucky to not be included.

Pace, do you save all the email contacts you get when you make a sale? I certainly do. Email id's telephone numbers, anything I can get my hands on.

When I purchase these days, more than have of the sellers are a personal contact for me. Screw you eBay!!!!

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Fri Sep 13 13:52:17 2019

hmmm reminds me of the case against Paypal for illegal holds - I wonder if some intrepid lawyer can apply some pressure to eBay to get them to have funds released ASAP (within 24 hrs)

There really shouldnt be a 3-5 day hold - theres no legal reason to have it.

s/824807-paypal-account-hold-class-action-settlement-checks-mailed/

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Fri Sep 13 14:35:35 2019

Can :)

I have all the paperwork from all previous sales ... but I dont really need them.

I dont get repeat customers - unless they are buying from me to resell.

I opine the total lack of control I will have. Its just not nice to force people in the manner they did.

Personally, I dont care what company process the CC - doesnt matter which idiot it is.

But when you have "multi billion dollar company" and you role out a major program - one your company hinges on - and it cant do most company functions - GSP etc - what does that say 1) about your company 2) the programmers you hire 3) the stability and functionality of the program and much more...... its like a kindergarten.

My issue as always is control visa via returns.

eBay says 3-5 days - should be one - Paypal manages to get my money into my bank next day - whats broken with eBays bank? (yes they are keeping the float for 3 days and lieing that its international banking).

The whole program should be shelved until its complete OR pay sellers to beta test it for them.

Hence the reason that eBay is lower then the worst criminal, gangster, shyster group ever. At least the "mob", the yakuza and triads have a code of honor - eBay doesnt.

by: lancecorp This user has validated their user name.

Fri Sep 13 14:35:50 2019

At the beginning of the day - those calling in about the email got conflicting stories - some CS said it was a mistake - others said you're in managed payments periord. Although it wasn't suppose to go out to those that use GSP - it went out to many. Later last night - they did confirm that the email went out by accident - not that a similar email may not appear in our future - but this one was a mistake. Reading the discussion s on the Ebay Payments board - sellers in PM are having a lot of problems. Some do love it and say their sales have increased - others say they haven't seen a difference in sales. This is going to come and bite them in the behind. There are too many other alternatives out there for selling - and I know many small sellers that are getting regular jobs now and making as much working part time as they have been the last year busting their butt on Ebay. When it is no longer fun and profitable - time to look elsewhere.

by: Chalk This user has validated their user name.

Fri Sep 13 16:28:08 2019

"We are being very deliberate in who we invite since we do not yet support Global Shipping Program or eBay Charity Listings yet..."  does this mean that if I sell using the GSP or Charity Listings, I won't be required to join Managed Payments until later?
If so, I will add GSP to all of my listings.

by: Silver Ice King This user has validated their user name.

Fri Sep 13 17:14:44 2019

Just to clarify one thing that many seem to be missing about how long it takes you to get your money in Mabgled Payments.  I am not jumping onto Ebays bandwagon by a long shot, but in this case my understanding of how it is working and works the same for most companies when they process.

Ebay will process the purchase through Adyen on the night that the purchase was made.  The next morning Ebay will receive the funds into their bank account directly from Adyen.  Ebay will then send ACH payments out to each of those Sellers who has money coming that same day.  Where the delay happens is in the ACH processing of the money due to you.  The time for that money to arrive in your bank can be anywhere from 1-4 days depending on weekends, holidays as well as how fast your bank records and releases the funds to its customers.  As far as Ebay is concerned that money is no longer in its possession or control once the ACH has been sent but is in control of the ACH Banking system and/or your banks recording of the receipt of the funds.

My credit union usually has any ACH funds available to me the next business day after the ACH was sent.  So if the sale was made on Monday, Monday night sale submitted to Adyen,  Tuesday Ebay receives the money into their account and begins setting up the outgoing ACH payments to its Sellers.  Normally i would receive those funds into my credit union account on Wednesday at the beginning of business because that is just how they have their policies set up.  Other banks may not show those funds until Thursday or Friday and some may not even show them until the Following Monday which is one of the main reasons i have been banking with the same credit union for almost 30 years.

Now this does not mean that Ebay may not start holding the funds longer once they have all Sellers under their thumbs, but as of this point in time the delays are not Ebays fault.  As long as Ebay uses Adyen as their processor money will never be available instantly like it is with Paypal because they only submit one batch a day and then have to wait for Adyen to process the batch.

I hope this helped explain things a little better for everybody.  As I said i am not jumping on Ebays bandwagon but thought I would explain that the 5 day delay is not Ebays fault, at least not at this point in time.

1 2 3  [Next Page]