Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Wed Sept 4 2019 16:21:57

How Will eBay Fall Seller Update Impact Your Business?

eBay announced the Fall Seller Update today. We've already began to analyze how these changes will impact sellers, but we're eager to hear what readers think of the changes.

eBay classified the changes into several buckets. Some of the key changes involve Promoted Listing ads, which eBay has already indicated to Wall Street is an important source of revenue growth at a time of stagnant sales growth.

eBay CEO Devin Wenig had said in July (via Seeking Alpha transcript): "Our revenue growth continues to outpace GMV in part due to acceleration in advertising and payments," adding that Promoted Listings revenue grew 130% in the second quarter (April, May, June) compared to the second quarter of 2018.

Wenig said his goal was to reach $1 billion in ad revenue over time - remember, that comes directly out of sellers' pockets.

It's also important to consider how Promoted Listings impact *buyers* - there's already indication that they're getting frustrated with search results being clogged with ads - this is a MUST READ post about the issue.

Here are two of the key announcements about Promoted Listings from today's Seller Update - tell us, are these changes good for you, neutral, or bad (and why):

Removal of duplicated promoted and non-promoted listings in search
Starting in September 2019, we'll no longer show duplicate promoted and non-promoted listings on the search results page. If you are using Promoted Listings, only one of your listings, either promoted or non-promoted will appear in a given set of search results, giving buyers a cleaner, more relevant search experience. We will select which listing to display, based on factors such as listing quality, relevancy to the buyer's search, and ad rate.

Promoted listings will continue to appear outside search on other pages such as the Home page, product pages, and other prominent locations on eBay.

Increased visibility for Promoted Listings in search results
In our ongoing effort to optimize the visibility of Promoted Listings placements, we're shifting to a mix of promoted and non-promoted listings at the top of search results. Now a mixture of promoted and non-promoted listings will be eligible to appear in the top search rankings.

This is designed to balance visibility for both promoted and organic, non-promoted listings, depending on their relevance to a buyer's search and quality of a seller's listing.

Another area that got the Seller Update treatment was Managed Payments.

However, we didn't see any candid discussion about how sellers will be impacted by Managed Payments at this stage. For example: Previously, signing up for Managed Payments was optional, but we recently wrote about reports that eBay is requiring some sellers to sign up for Managed Payments; however, nothing in the Seller Update addressed those reports.

While eBay did include a FAQ with the question, "If I receive a notification to register for managed payments, what should I do," the answer it supplied didn't answer that question as far as we could determine:

"Managed payments in the US is now live with a select group of participating sellers. They now receive payouts directly to their specified bank accounts and don't need to manually transfer funds. The overall experience enables sellers to streamline their operations by having everything they need (reports, fees, protections, support, and payouts) to sell and get paid in one place on eBay. They can offer buyers more ways to pay, and have a single company to contact for service and support."

Those are just two areas that jumped out at us, but there are many other changes. What things do you see as positives in today's release, are there any negatives, and what questions do you have for eBay about the changes announced?

Perminate Link for How Will eBay Fall Seller Update Impact Your Business?   How Will eBay Fall Seller Update Impact Your Business?

by: FeelingFroggy This user has validated their user name.

Wed Sep 4 17:28:51 2019

We have so few listings that none of their mumbo jumbo split faced hot air updates will even effect us. Its just another " HEY LOOK AT US WE ARE DOING SOMETHING WE THINK " Hot air from the ivory towers mean nothing.

by: HappyOne This user has validated their user name.

Wed Sep 4 18:19:38 2019

When I have purchased an item with a promoted listing followed by the duplicate non promoted listing I always purchased the “non promoted listing”. My thoughts being that this will save a fellow seller promotion fees. Ebay’s change of only showing the promoted listing will insure Ebay gets the maximum fees on the listing/sale. I never use promoted listing. My 10% (really 15%) FVF on item and shipping should be enough    .

by: notfunanymore This user has validated their user name.

Wed Sep 4 19:47:31 2019

your all screwed. They’ll be taking more of your money. That’s what the “updates” are all about... taking more of your money, and they’ll expect you to fall in line. You guys all work for eBay whether you know it or not. They are certainly not your partner

by: chester This user has validated their user name.

Wed Sep 4 21:08:58 2019

The eBay Fall Seller Update won't affect us at all. We have so few listings left there that they can do what ever they want and I just really don't care any longer. They lost my loyalty in 2008, and I just use it for over flow stock now.

Once they force us into their payment system we will leave for good.

by: windycityparrot This user has validated their user name.

Wed Sep 4 21:23:00 2019

I don't trust banks thus 80% of our revenue never flows into a bank.

With PayPal
I get my money in 15 seconds
I  expense it out with my PayPal Debit Master Card (15 seconds later)
I earn 1% cashback on all-expenses-paid with my PayPal Debit Master Card.
If I need funds in my bank I can transfer them using PayPal in 1 business day or instantly (10 minutes).
I have a 6 figure line of credit with PayPal Working Capital

I can not borrow $15,000 from my bank of 15 years.

Fortunately, I don't build large houses on rented land which is why eBay is a small revenue source for us (vs our eCommerce website above)

They hold all the cards so until they sell StubHub and whatever else, eBay CEO Devin Wenig figured he can "borrow" sellers money for at least 3 days (it talks 3 - 4 days to receive managed payments) by "holding" all the seller's money.

One more middle finger to eBay sellers from the big D.

by: thebobman This user has validated their user name.

Wed Sep 4 21:38:19 2019

Trying to figure out if the fvf is changing for those of us with a basic store or better. I sell a lot of electronics that fall in the 4% fvf rather than 10%. All it takes is $465 of sales a month to pay for the store subscription with the savings in fvf.

by: ebayout This user has validated their user name.

Wed Sep 4 21:50:10 2019

A sale on ebay is dependent on 5 things, assuming your account is not restricted:
1) what day is it
2) who's looking
3) what medium a buyer is using
4) proper description
5) total price
A seller controls 2 of those...ebay controls none of it.
I can't control ebay updates...just like I can't control a card hand being dealt.
You pays yer money and takes yer chances.

by: nothingnew This user has validated their user name.

Wed Sep 4 21:54:12 2019

The more I see about managed payments the more I move my listings to ecrater. I'm finding my items in Google shopping. So I'm a happy camper getting off of eBay. I will leave a skeleton shop at eBay of 50 items Or less that cost less than $10.00 to ship an item. I only sold 100.00 in the last 3 weeks on eBay so I don't feel like I will be missing anything not having my better stuff elsewhere.

by: JohnGermaine This user has validated their user name.

Wed Sep 4 22:10:36 2019

Somehow, to me, giving someone who isn't doing the job they should be doing in the first place and rewarding them with MORE MONEY is just wrong. I won't participate in their scam.  And I am sick of them advertising to me in my listings and in my email! Enough already.

by: 1st Armored Division 1971-1973 This user has validated their user name.

Wed Sep 4 22:17:46 2019

Like all eBay updates I either bend with the wind or fade away.

by: donald This user has validated their user name.

Wed Sep 4 22:33:16 2019

We can not be left behind. Time to increase our prices, again

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Thu Sep 5 02:15:39 2019

@notfunanymore

What specifically in the Seller Update is going to raise fees for you?

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Thu Sep 5 02:17:03 2019

@thebobman

Stores were not even addressed in the Seller Update.  Your store fee nor anyone else's store fees are increasing due to something in the update.  And there are no FVF changes announced either.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Thu Sep 5 02:19:06 2019

@donald

What in the update leads you to believe you are going to be paying more so you need to charge more?

by: mjr55 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 5 04:01:01 2019

Typical Ebay double-talk.

They basically say they will remove service metric defects for only those sellers who aren't even affected by them in the first place.

Thus, if a seller is rating is "very high" in service metrics (and thus they are paying the 5% penalty) due to the false INAD's that Ebay says they will now remove.....you are NOT ALLOWED to have these removed. In other words, you have no way of getting of getting out of this penalty spiral.

Are you rated "good" in service metrics (meaning you have been lucky enough not to get these false INADS)? Great, then, um.....we will remove these defects for you so it "looks" like we are giving sellers protection.

That's like saying we are going to cut taxes for those who make no money and don't pay tax in the first place.....but the people who actually pay taxes are not going to have any tax cut. Wow.....what a carrot.

by: mjr55 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 5 04:04:11 2019

By the way, hope you people who cried about 2 identical listings showing on one page of search results (one promoted and one non promoted) are happy now.

Now they just will remove one of those 2 but fill in half of the first page with promoted listings instead of only like 6-8 spots. Now your listings really won't be seen (that is, unless you add another 10% on to your FVF in promoted listings).

Be careful what you wish for.

by: maxmad This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 5 06:54:41 2019

With adding the "Partial Refund" Sellers need to raise prices, this new update will make it more costly to sell on ebay,

Just wait and see when you have to negotiate with some buyer from hell, the "Partial Refund" will become their weapon of choice,,

This update will again take more from sellers, and again offer even less protection

by: hawk This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 5 07:05:54 2019

ebay is no longer a selling venue , but only a fee collection venue. you don't hear a lot about helping their sellers make money so ebay can make money also , but you hear tons about them collecting more and more fees for doing nothing.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 5 09:31:26 2019

Nothing major here at all - nothing that would "move the needle and get sales moving" at all.

"Removal of duplicated promoted and non-promoted listings in search" - well at least this is something .... alot of times when I search for something there are 2 or 3 listings one on top of the other - for the same guy/item New, new sponsored/refurbished. Clogs up the whole listing screen - and I never buy from any of those people - I wont contribute to eBays pocket, Im against sponsored listings in general (I pay enough with my fvf's). Of course, eBay will just fill that spot with some advertising - but thats what eBay does since its never about making sales..

"Increased visibility for Promoted Listings in search results" - Im against the entire idea - the pigs make enough money - so it what happens doesnt effect me, nor do I care.

There was some mention of returns. Returns are "fake news" since anything eBay says is some kind of lie. The absurdity of 60 days for returns (and anyone that even thinks theres a reason for them) either doesnt understand how "business works", is selling crap from Goodwill that costs a dollar to own, has the common sense of a mentally challenged german cockroach. Manufacturers dont do 60 days, distributors dont - why should some small seller? why is it even a thing?

This user has validated their user name. by: RKTOYS

Thu Sep 5 09:40:20 2019

eBay is doing its best to hurt sellers and it appears to be working.  I've started watching items on my old buying account and discounts have been rolling in.

I don't expect the fall screwup to make much difference for me.  They've already taken away 85% of the sales I had 6 years ago.  I just leave ~40 listings up and cycle them out as they sell elsewhere.  It's no joke that I sell more in a weekend at a show than 3-6 months on eBay.

When Mangled Payments comes for me, I'll just pull the plug and not miss a beat.

1 2 3  [Next Page]