Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Mon Aug 26 2019 20:58:07

Your Chance to Ask eBay about Seller Protection

eBay is devoting Wednesday's chat session to the topic of seller protection. It's a topic near and dear to sellers' hearts, especially in the years since eBay removed the ability for sellers to leave negative or neutral feedback for buyers, leaving them more vulnerable to bad buyers.

eBay has made two announcements about changes to its seller-protection policies this year.

1) "New measures to protect you from buyers who violate eBay policy" - April 30, 2019

2) eBay "Significantly Strengthens Seller Protections" (for Top Rated Sellers) - July 24, 2019

If you have questions, now is your chance to prepare (note that you can't post your questions on the board until the chat begins).

eBay explained: "The Seller Protection team will be here to answer questions submitted between 1-2 pm PT. During the chat hour, eBay staff will answer your questions in real-time. At 2 pm, the thread will close. We'll work through any unanswered questions after 2 pm."

The weekly chat will take place on Wednesday (August 28) at 1 pm PT on the Community Chat section of the eBay discussion boards.

Perminate Link for Your Chance to Ask eBay about Seller Protection   Your Chance to Ask eBay about Seller Protection

by: Silver Ice King This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 26 23:00:45 2019

So I guess we should waste another hour of our time to hear the same non answers that we hear not only on every Weakly Chat, but from those that Ebay designates to answer our Seller Update questions.  So once again those that should know the most about how things operate will give their normal Weasel Speak answers that really answer nothing but decide how they want to do things on a case by case basis.

So a mega seller will have things ruled in their favor while the rest of us will continue to get thrown under the bus one way or another.  I used to waste my time in those chats and actually think that maybe, just maybe someone who had the answers would finally share the information with us, only to get the same old Weasel Speak that we have gotten from Ebay since the Donohoe era, but which has been finely tuned and sharpened under Wenigs greedy watch over Ebay and its Sellers.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Mon Aug 26 23:57:27 2019

I would ask a question but I've been banned by Lithium. . . . .

My love for eBay is waning

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Tue Aug 27 00:33:38 2019

I would ask: I want to know, with specificity, what exactly eBay will be doing to protect their sellers. No generalizations, point by point detailed information.

by: industrystones This user has validated their user name.

Tue Aug 27 01:39:11 2019

Hilarious.
1) "New measures to protect you from buyers who violate eBay policy" - April 30, 2019

Yes. The need to protect the "sellers" from the evil bad bad nasty buyers... who try and offer you a side deal off of Ebay for your item!  haaaa
They're so transparent it's laughable. They are going to ram paranoia and fear down your throats in hopes that you are scared of such a scenario thus resulting in THEM LOSING THEIR 10% from an offline deal.

by: FeelingFroggy This user has validated their user name.

Tue Aug 27 03:41:13 2019

Not interested. Answers are always. "The buyer is always right, chalk it up to the cost of doing business"

by: mcposty This user has validated their user name.

Tue Aug 27 04:01:11 2019

Can they wipe all our negatives like they do adidas and levis

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Aug 27 06:54:46 2019

My calendar says August yet people think it’s April.

There’s no such thing as seller protection anymore then there’s a big foot, the Loch Ness monster, the Jersey devil, the Yeti or any other such creature.

by: ebayout This user has validated their user name.

Tue Aug 27 10:49:18 2019

Why have a conference call? We all know the possible scenarios...so do they.
List each scenario, then the old consequence and the new consequence.
Put it in WRITING. A memory has no standing in an argument.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Aug 27 11:05:30 2019

Seller Protection on eBay is "The Emperor's New Clothes"

From Wikipedia "The Emperor's New Clothes" (Danish: Kejserens nye klæder) is a short tale written by Danish author Hans Christian Andersen, about two weavers who promise an emperor a new suit of clothes that they say is invisible to those who are unfit for their positions, stupid, or incompetent – while in reality, they make no clothes at all, making everyone believe the clothes are invisible to them. When the emperor parades before his subjects in his new "clothes", no one dares to say that they do not see any suit of clothes on him for fear that they will be seen as stupid. Finally a child cries out, "But he isn't wearing anything at all!"

In our case "Devin Wenig's New Clothes" is a short tale written by eBays GREEDY Board of Directors, which is about Old Man Giff who promises eBay sellers a new suit of protections that they say is invisible to those who are unfit for their positions, stupid, or incompetent – while in reality, they make no protections at all. When Wenig and Temkin parade these "invisible protections" on a conference call to their sellers, no one dares to say that they do not see any new protections for fear that they will be seen as stupid. Finally sellers on Ecommercebytes cry out, "But there arent any protections at all!"

by: notfunanymore This user has validated their user name.

Tue Aug 27 11:05:53 2019

What a waste of time for sellers to engage. They want to see how much they’ve pissed off sellers, and what sellers are thinking so they can react to it. Bottom line is, total waste of time.
Someone should ask how do sellers protect themselves from corporate? That’s the real problem..

This user has validated their user name. by: NoMoreEbay

Tue Aug 27 11:11:25 2019

Good Morning, What specifically are the upcoming protections for sellers?

"Great question. We are baking into our work the velocity of our protections plan, but I know bandwidth is a challenge. We need more bench strength to allocate resources to build a straw man for a new approach and create a dead on burning platform that our change agents can drive across the change network.

We need to create a parking lot solution and build the critical mass needed to make this change happen while cross-pollinating across seller advisories. We will organize a large scale data dump, orchestrate a deep dive and create deliverables that solve this issue in real time.

If you have any further questions, please contact our expert seller advocate, Griff."

by: Whatever This user has validated their user name.

Tue Aug 27 11:13:04 2019

Yes yes yes - very nice ebay - your going to save us all - here's the thing - and are you fixing the Service Metrics problem? You know the one that allows you to grab more money from the sellers?  We are all well aware of your smoke and mirrors policy's - I wear my gas mask every time a new one comes out. Here's the deal - instead of all the sneaking around using deceptive business practices which only infuriate your sellers when you steal more dough ray me from them.  Make selling FVF's a simple 15%. Let the seller decide if they want to continue selling on ebay.
Quit all the service metrics.

Any seller who hasn't figured out how to make a profit by now is not a business person - and that's really all you want on ebay now right?  Then take that moula your raking in and spend some on advertising.  Hell make it 20% I'd still be there.

Spin off a companion site for those small sellers - those people with only 1 of's - the unique things that made ebay.

I know what my alternatives are - go back to B&M selling? No thanks - lets see - the lease (which btw ain't cheap anymore) the up front cost to lease that building. Electricity - water - sewer - trash - business insurance - licensing fees (ALOT) city - county - state. Alarm company. Labor to help you - gotta have that or they steal you  really blind (sometimes even the help) pretty sure there's more expenses I forgot.  Then you actually have to get up every single day - get dressed and go down there - open up and sit there till 5 or 6 - put up with an ever demanding public who like ebay buyers want everything for free. After all that you get to go home.

Trust me I'd gladly pay eBay 20% FVF if they were actually driving business my way. I know the overhead involved in havng your own space - 50% is normal. So when your thinking about leaving eBay for greener pastures - it's a tough road out there. Think twice. I'm sticking with PJ's.

by: b86fiero This user has validated their user name.

Tue Aug 27 11:19:00 2019

"The transaction was ambiguous"

Define exactly what that means as a reason for a chargeback being filed.  Numerous sellers have now seen those words as the reason given why the buyer filed it.

Is this an eBay managed payments in-house designation for when a buyer does not recognize a payment to eBay on their credit card statement because the payment went to eBay not the seller they purchased from?

Why are sellers forced to refund because eBay has not educated buyers adequately about how managed payments works and how purchases from sellers in managed payments will appear on their credit card statements?

Why is eBay Seller Protection not covering sellers in this scenario?

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Tue Aug 27 11:24:02 2019

You have to sell something before you need any protection!

I'm having a 25% off sale on my already rock bottom prices and I'm still selling nothing.

I currently have a 10% off coupon banner on the top of my page for any purchase until 9/1. . . .I can't use it because I have no money.

I'm anxious to see eBay's 3rd Q numbers. . . .

by: Whatever This user has validated their user name.

Tue Aug 27 11:47:26 2019

B - "The transaction was ambiguous"

good point - hadn't thought of that

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Aug 27 14:05:34 2019

Mr. Norseman (Devin Wenig): If you dont fix eBays seller protection and start providing REAL protection from "YOUR BUYERS", can we petition Elliot Management to get it done for us?

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Tue Aug 27 14:37:30 2019

I don't have any problems with "buyers"

There are none!

by: industrystones This user has validated their user name.

Tue Aug 27 15:28:55 2019

My inventory is at a dead stop as well. Listings are just NOT being shown in search. Sales were flourishing about 4-5 years ago. Ebay is a crypt at this point.

This user has validated their user name. by: CanBrit

Tue Aug 27 15:38:24 2019

@toolguy

I'm afraid I'm in the same boat as you. Somehow I managed to scare the bejeebers out of Alan (ala the Irish Dweasel) and Brian (the Feral Ferret) and was banned for life. Jeepers, it didn't take much either. Got one of their buddies banned for three days because he blew the rules. Well I had a hand in making it happen...and it was wonderful when he realized he was, well screwed by me. I knew once he returned I'd be gone for good.

Just the same, does any of it matter. It is the same mindless drivel they insult us with day after day. If I felt the need, I can go onto the boards and read the stupid crap that's on there if I don't sign in. I'd rather stick a hot fork down my throat.

In all honesty, this has been my best year yet. They consider me a power seller. Hopefully I'm one of those that are on the bottom financially, because I am NOT going to Managed Flayments. One thing that certainly helped turn things around is that I now send every customer 10 business cards with a 10% off coupon to give to their friends. New customers and repeat business has been fantastic. So, there is a way around the devil himself. Just keep your head down and run your business quietly and the way you see fit.

by: thievesBay This user has validated their user name.

Tue Aug 27 15:55:11 2019

The only time there was any hint of seller protection was before Donahoe, when eBay wasn't sticking their noses and greedy fingers into every aspect. Back when you could leave Negative feedback for bad buyers and you were dealing more with the buyers themselves. Not like today where you're battling against eBay AND the buyer, and losing. There is no seller protection, never will be again, no matter how eBay spins it or how many times they keep claiming it.

1 2 3  [Next Page]