Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Mon Mar 4 2019 20:27:49

BUG ALERT Use Caution When Revising eBay Listings

eBay has a known technical bug in which it is lowering the prices of sellers' items when they revise their listings. An eBay moderator acknowledged the issue on the discussion boards.

A seller reported, "Anyone having issues where you list an item, then go to revise say the picture for a better one...  When i submit and review my listing, eBay changes my auction starting price from what i had originally.  Anyone have this issue?"

To which an eBay moderator responded at 5:28 pm:

"Hi everyone, I can confirm that this is a known issue we are working on currently. As long as there are no bids on the auction, you should be able to revise it and raise the price to resolve this for now. We will get a fix in place as soon as possible."

If you revised any eBay listings today, be sure to check the prices in case they were impacted.

A reader who tipped us off to the problem said he could not believe eBay didn't announce the problem and questioned the motivation behind eBay's response, or lack thereof.

eBay is also displaying a problem with Checkout on its Systems Board, and Down Detector is showing a spike in reports and states, "eBay is having issues since 7:40 PM EST."

Perminate Link for BUG ALERT Use Caution When Revising eBay Listings   BUG ALERT Use Caution When Revising eBay Listings

by: Silver Ice King This user has validated their user name.

Mon Mar 4 22:21:10 2019

Another money grab by Ebay?  Have they become so desperate that they now will lower prices and when an item sells for the lower price that Ebay accidentally changed it to they get their money either way as I remember.  I may be wrong because I have not had to do this in ages, but if you cancel a sold item doesn't Ebay get to keep their FVF that was charged, plus the Seller risks getting a OOS defect since Ebay is looking for any reason to get sellers to a below standard rating so they can collect the additional 4% FVF.

Another known glitch that once again works in Ebays favor and naturally Ebay does not notify sellers about it because as a person in "The Layoffs" stated previously, Lets make this happen and get the extra fees and if anybody catches it we will claim its an IT glitch.  Just Wenig doing all he can to pull more money into Ebays coffers any way possible trying to save his job.

I can't wait to see how the BOD justifies ANY Y/E Bonus for Wenig for 2018 as he should have to return the salary he got for the performance he has given Ebay.  Maybe he will even storm out and quit if they give him a zero bonus for last year and save everybody the hassle of having to try and fire him.  Heaven knows he does not deserve to get any bonus at all based on his 2018 performance and the way 2019 has started off.

How does it feel Devin to be caught with your hand in the cookie jar once again?  Care to try and explain this one with all of your fancy spin words that mean nothing other than We have no clue what we are doing here at Ebay??

by: mcposty This user has validated their user name.

Tue Mar 5 00:40:12 2019

Thats a gnarly one..what a nightmare

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Tue Mar 5 07:40:42 2019

How are they not getting sued in every way possible?

by: notfunanymore This user has validated their user name.

Tue Mar 5 09:32:19 2019

Yeah, and you sellers are going to be dealing with ebay controlling your money. (managed payments) HA HA HA! Wait for that mess, will make the etsy glitch look like a dropped penny. GOOD LUCK!

by: geoffreymason This user has validated their user name.

Tue Mar 5 10:49:28 2019

Notfunanymore: And best of luck to you. You need it.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Tue Mar 5 10:51:41 2019

@Rexford

"How are they not getting sued in every way possible?"

When you use eBay you agree to the TOS which states you will not sue them but instead use arbitration. . . .

by: RL15 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Mar 5 11:09:33 2019

the self proclaimed greatest tech company in the universe once again shows how great they really are.

by: Whatever This user has validated their user name.

Tue Mar 5 20:11:55 2019

So I'll tell you about another glitch that of course benefits ebay

I was listing some identical items - same item - different colors.  I remember I sold one 2 months ago so I went into orders and found the listing and simply relisted it.  The listing start date reverted back to the original listing.  It also applies to items that other sellers have listed - DON'T use the Sell one like this option.  Only reason I caught this glitch is because I was listing the 4 listing at the same time.  I kept working and noticed that only 3 of the 4 showed up in the gallery - I thought I'd skipped one - search my store for that item and found it in last months start time - I did call ebay and oh yeah they knew. They were working on it. Sure

by: quirkyantiques This user has validated their user name.

Tue Mar 5 20:49:29 2019

@Rexford-not if you sent in your opt out of arbitration forms to both Ebay and Paypal when these clauses came in. I personally CAN sue Ebay-not so much 98% of people who were afraid if they sent those in that Ebay would 86 them on a pretext. HOWEVER-the point I was going to make is I noticed any listing I have a watcher on-I have a huge "Send them an offer" button above each one. I'll pass thanks. I can't think of anything more annoying than getting a desperate email from a seller whose item I'm "watching".

by: quirkyantiques This user has validated their user name.

Tue Mar 5 20:50:28 2019

Sorry! Meant the above as @toolguy..not Rexford

by: Disgusted This user has validated their user name.

Thu Mar 7 05:32:10 2019

Typical ebay move.  Glitch capital of the world.

by: eastwestphoto This user has validated their user name.

Thu Mar 7 07:26:48 2019

I use BIN and GTC features , BUT I do notice glitches increasing geometrically since  eBay evolved to the App model appearance. Then again the  tech department was out-sourced to an Indian low bidder. So what do you expect, you get what you pay for eBay, TROUBLE! Glitches looses eBay millions/day in sales. Penny wise; "POUND FOOLISH" Time for the ebay board to wake Up!

by: Windkissed This user has validated their user name.

Thu Mar 7 07:41:58 2019

I watch all of my pricing closely, ebay sometimes is sneaky about dropping YOUR price without authorization from sellers.  I have gotten really strong about holding my pricing because ebay cares nothing about whether I make a profit or not as long as they do.   I had a colleague tell me that Ina Steiner's newsletter was always twisted to the negative about ebay.  Of which I disagreed.  I don;t think being honest and truthful is twisting anything.  We all should have an outlet to voice our opinions and experiences in a positive way.

This user has validated their user name. by: Don Wagner

Thu Mar 7 09:52:18 2019

I plan to discount most of my eBay listings into quick sales and send much of my unlisted inventory to a local estate liquidator for sale to the flea market dealers. eBay is so buggy it is just insane to hitch your wagon to such a falling star. In my opinion things will not improve - eBay just doesn't have what it takes to pull it off. I have an ecommerce seller website and belong to 185 Facebook Groups focusing on various buy/sell/trade collecting interests where I sell my better antiques and that has been really headache-free for me.

by: Sherie This user has validated their user name.

Sun Mar 10 21:05:01 2019

There are definitely problems with price when going to revise. My problem is that when I relist and it shows off for offers, once I relist it, then it shows OBO and with a low best offer being set by eBay.

Thankfully, I have caught each one before someone bought. Of course I would have been contacting eBay about this and would have had to refund the buyer pointing the blame on eBay.....and eBay would have better protected me from a neutral or a negative. It's been a pain.