Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Sat Nov 23 2019 13:55:10

Marketplaces Focus on Fast Shipping but Buyers Can Wait

A new study shows buyers are willing to wait for the kinds of items for which eBay and Etsy are best known - and it also found that buyers are nearly as likely to search Amazon for collectibles as eBay.

Market research firm GlobalWebIndex surveyed 1,900 US digital consumers. It found that 41% of users who said they would like to receive a gift from a resale marketplace are interested in receiving a gift that is personalized, handmade, or reminiscent of their past.

And when purchasing nostalgic items, other factors were more important than delivery speed. According to GlobalWebIndex, the quality of the item (71%), trustworthiness of the seller (60%), authenticity of the item (57%) and price (56%) were more important than a quick shipping time (40%) for respondents when seeking to purchase nostalgic items.

A flexible return policy came in at 33%.

GlobalWebIndex dug further and found 48% respondents were willing to sacrifice shipping speed if it meant getting a better price. According to its findings, 81% of users seeking to purchase nostalgic items were willing to sacrifice certain factors to get a better price, including the following:

- Shipping time - 48%
- Quality of the item - 27%
- A flexible return policy - 26%
- Guaranteed authenticity of the item - 24%
- Trustworthiness of the seller - 23%
- I wouldn't sacrifice any of these - 19%

Interestingly, 9 out of 10 users surveyed were interested in purchasing nostalgic/collector's items, and eBay was the leading platform they would turn to for purchase. What was surprising is that Amazon was a close second, and Etsy was named far less by respondents. In fact, Facebook came in higher than Etsy for collectibles.

Q: If you were looking to purchase a nostalgic or collector's item from your past, where online would you purchase that item?
- eBay - 58%
- Amazon - 55%
- Facebook Marketplace - 22%
- Etsy - 19%
- Craigslist - 17%
- Other - 10%
- I'm not interested in nostalgia/collector's items - 10%

The good news for many EcommerceBytes readers: the market research firm found that 92% of digital consumers say they would welcome a gift purchased from a resale marketplace like eBay, Etsy, or Facebook Marketplace - particularly for nostalgic/collector's items.

Do you find the behavior of shoppers to be consistent with this survey? And what should marketplaces take away from the report?

Perminate Link for Marketplaces Focus on Fast Shipping but Buyers Can Wait   Marketplaces Focus on Fast Shipping but Buyers Can Wait

This user has validated their user name. by: NoMoreEbay

Sat Nov 23 15:29:38 2019

In terms of collectables, especially rare ones, buyers have no choice but to wait or get left behind. In this scenario it's the seller holding cards, the seller doing the buyer a favor, not the other way around.  Negotiators, bottom feeders and inpatient buyers needn't bother in this category.  They are not wanted nor needed in any capacity.

This user has validated their user name. by: NoMoreEbay

Sat Nov 23 15:36:59 2019

Don't  know a lot about Etsy but one thing they could take away from this report is no matter how hard they try to mirror ebay with every new seller killing policy. They are nothing more than an embarrassing 2% ahead of Craigslist of all places.

That's pretty telling and darn funny.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Sat Nov 23 15:40:11 2019

So much for eBay's and Etsy's contention that every buyer wants what they purchased the next day.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Sat Nov 23 16:10:45 2019

I have NEVER searched Amazon for collectibles! EVER

These collectibles must be new items, because I didn't think Amazon had much used stuff. . .Do they?

by: FeelingFroggy This user has validated their user name.

Sat Nov 23 17:03:14 2019

We use 5 day shipping. If buyers don't like that they are free to go elsewhere.

by: purpleiris This user has validated their user name.

Sat Nov 23 18:30:37 2019

I'm not entirely sure I agree with the findings related to collectibles. I would never think to look on Amazon for them and I sell them. I also don't shop on eBay for anything and, while that's just me, I know there are a lot of others out there who don't either.

Some sellers do shop there for the bottom feeders to build their inventory, though. So, anyone looking for garage sale prices are certainly going to look at eBay first. However, true collectors are more selective and are willing to pay the price for all of the above -- quality, trust, care in shipping, etc.

So, like I've always said, it depends on who your target market is. If you don't mind accepting pennies in profit, or simply don't know what you're doing, then you sell on eBay. If you're catering to the collector, then you provide the value for the price on a niche site like Etsy or your own website -- not Amazon.

That's why these demographics really don't mean much to a seller of collectibles who caters to the collector.

by: Snapped This user has validated their user name.

Sat Nov 23 19:59:53 2019

The message carried by those demographics screams a confirmation of the one all the 'noise' has been about for a baker's dozen years now...

Disparate marketplaces demand different 'expectations'. One size does not fit all. Had eBay simply leveraged what they cluelessly trashed in their pursuit of forced commoddity compliance, the whole question would be moot.

But hey, at last these pollsters finagled a gig out of the madness.

by: grumpwell This user has validated their user name.

Sat Nov 23 20:13:21 2019

I believe this is a generational thing. Most of the nostalgic item I sell are from the 1950's-70's. The folks who buy these items tend to be adults. Adults are more patient and don't mind slightly slower shipping. They also are not likely as concerned with return policies because they don't buy things with the intent to return them. The younger generation is another matter all together...

This user has validated their user name. by: Life During Wartime

Sun Nov 24 01:45:52 2019

I opened my first shop on Etsy, selling vintage collectibles, in 2010.

A few years later, the number, variety, and quality of vintage collectibles in many areas on Etsy exceeded what was listed on eBay.  What did Etsy do?  Etsy proceeded to slowly but surely drive vintage shops off of the site by making NUMBER OF UNITS SOLD of an item a primary factor in determining relevancy.  And by making adjustments to the listing process that enabled sellers of handmade crafts to list their brand new items as both "handmade" (designed and/or crafted by them) AND "vintage from some date", as far back as the 1700s.  So a listing would claiming that the item was designed and crafted in the 18th Century by someone alive in the 21st Century.

Circa 2012, vintage listings on Etsy were about 24 percent of the total items for sale on the site.  Currently, the percentage is 17.2 (down from 17.4 two years ago).  Actually, the percentage is below 17 percent if you subtract out the listings for "vintage" digital downloads, Chinese manufactured fakes, and thrift style listings for products and brands that didn't exist until more recently than 1999-2000.  For example, the iPhone is about 12 years old, but has always been acceptable as "vintage" on Etsy.

It's not any surprise to me that collectors and nostalgia seekers don't rate Etsy more highly as a shopping destination for these items.  I closed my Etsy shops a couple of years ago because I didn't want to be associated with a venue that specialized in fakes and deceptive selling practices.

I am guessing that Etsy's management will be quite pleased with the data from this report.  Earlier this year CEO Josh Silverman stated that Etsy will be involved in promoting "personalized and customized" vintage -- a contradiction in terms because altered vintage, isn't.

This user has validated their user name. by: RKTOYS

Sun Nov 24 08:18:09 2019

Not all collectibles are used; for instance, MISB toys.  What I've noticed is that some people won't buy toys when they're current (waiting for Ollies I suppose) but won't accept used when they're not.  So what I suspect alot of toy sellers end up doing is just sitting on new stock until it's marketable.  That's where some of the bottom feeder frustration kicks in.  On the one hand, no, the stuff isn't worth much of a markup, but on the other hand, there were storage and opportunity costs incurred by having to sit on it for so long.  If collectors would just be more motivated, I wouldn't have to charge higher prices and they wouldn't have to pay them.  But here we are.  Operators like me that feel bad about the situation are backing out and leaving the market to less scrupulous players that will gouge without a second thought.

by: Whatever This user has validated their user name.

Sun Nov 24 10:08:21 2019

GlobalWebIndex ??

Dear Global

Can I please buyer your list of consumers that are still buying antiques and collectibles?

Sincerely
Antique seller

by: mydogti This user has validated their user name.

Sun Nov 24 10:39:46 2019

I have a problem with the:
"A flexible return policy came in at 33%"

What this says to me is that 66% of buyers dont even look at the return police, because 100% of buyers expect they can get a refund(partial) or return an item for what ever reason they may have.

be it collectibles or new stock items

by: purpleiris This user has validated their user name.

Sun Nov 24 11:04:27 2019

@mydogti, believe me when I say that many consumers do read return policies these days. My policies don't leave any room for serial returners, so I don't have a problem with them. Of course, I also don't sell on a site that encourages such consumer behavior, but I would probably have less of an issue on such a site than other sellers there do.

This user has validated their user name. by: Lightning

Sun Nov 24 15:08:11 2019

@mydogti
You are misinterpreting the data.  It is saying that 33% of the people ranked the Return Policy as the most important factor in making the purchase.  The Return Policy came in 6th place, while speed of delivery came in 5th place on the list.  There is no indication of what percentage of people read the return policy,

It's likely almost EVERYONE looks at the return policy, but rank it according to their own tolerance.  Maybe even by product or price.  If it's a $5 item, you're probably planning on eating it if it doesn't work out, so the return policy is not a consideration.  If it's an expensive iPhone, you're looking for a strong return policy, making sure you can send it back if it doesn't work properly.

So for a third of the people, the integrity of the Return Policy outweighed all other factors in their purchase.  That's pretty strong.  Even THAT doesn't mean that 67% don't read the Return Policy.  They just might have picked something different that was more important to them as the primary consideration.

by: Moonwishes This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 25 01:50:59 2019

@Life at Wartime - enjoyed your post. I mainly sell sewing patterns and many of them can get to be vintage and collectible and yet I have seen sellers on Amazon listing patterns from 2019 and 2018 as collectible! How in the world is a sewing pattern collectible when it is not even out of print and you can purchase pretty much as many as you want. I figure that is someone that has no clue whatsoever about sewing patterns and to them it is only a 'unit' or 'item' to make some money.

I have been sewing, using sewing patterns for over 50 years now. I think I understand the sewing mentality and one thing I know or at least I hold it to be true is that when I want to make a project, I want to get started NOW not in a week or two when some other project has caught my eye, so I ship within 24 hours and most of the people get their patterns within 2-4 days. I rarely get refund requests on what I sell, but what I do it is the people that claim they didn't know they were buying a sewing pattern even though the category and the title and at least one bullet point usually says it is a sewing pattern. Most sewers know what they have to look for when buying a pattern and pretty much everything they would see in a B&M store they see in my listings. But my buyers I think want patterns fast, they generally want them uncut, and for the most part as long as the innards are still in factory folds most don't care about the envelope. I cracked up one day seeing an in detail description of the envelope as if it were a dust jacket, and then not a word was said about the pattern itself as to whether it was cut or what size it was. I find humor in some odd things.

I do get leery of surveys especially ones that just their way of stating something can change the answer. Or if said a certain way it can be confusing so no correct answer is given. I got shanghaied into a market research conversation at the mall once. Turns out it was on an air freshener. Right off the bat I told them I hate them, don't use them as they flare up my allergies. At that point they should have ended the interview, as they continued to ask stupid questions about my opinion on them with minor changes in syntax. None of my answers were worth a thing to their survey as no matter what they asked, I didn't use air fresheners and no matter what smell they came up with I wasn't going to try it, etc. So if this survey didn't at first establish that these people already shopped on line or were about to, then their answers were worthless. If someone doesn't shop online, then any question you ask them other than why not? is not an answer to be trusted or counted.

by: rover This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 25 04:47:54 2019

I both buy and sell niche collectables on several international platforms. My experience has been that (except during the holiday period when people may have purchased for gifts) shipping speed is less important than authenticity, condition, seller reputation and overall rarity of the item. The speed and cost of international shipping is what it is and most collectors accept that. To those of us from an older demographic anticipation is part of the pleasure of the process of acquiring a very desirable item. I have the occasional buyer complain about expensive shipping.  Then, when I point out its coming from Europe they apologize or go silent. If a buyer continues to whinge about shipping cost AFTER they realize it is crossing 2000 miles of ocean they are likely to end up with a cancelled transaction and being blocked from my shops. Buyers who start out by whining about reasonably priced shipping will almost inevitably find something else to moan about when they finally get the item, so better to cut them loose and let they annoy some other seller who is more desperate for their money than I.

by: hawk This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 25 05:28:27 2019

the only thing these marketplaces care about is getting their profit , like yesterday !  so they brainwash and train people that everyone wants this , and that  , and more , blah ,blah , blah. they go beyond reality on all things , and the generations just suck it all up as truth. it will never stop with all the immediate greed of all the marketplaces going on.

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 25 07:42:53 2019

Surprisingly, I have sold quite a lot of collectibles, like Rockwell figurines on AMZ.  It's a good Mkplace for collectibles and I'm always on the lookout for it at estate sales, etc.

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 25 07:43:51 2019

the only thing these marketplaces care about is getting their profit , like yesterday ^^ Why are you complaining about profit making businesses?  I don't get your rant.  You're in business to make money too aren't you?  And the quicker you can sell the better, right?

This user has validated their user name. by: Life During Wartime

Mon Nov 25 09:54:21 2019

Amazon could host antiques and vintage sellers.  But the problem with Etsy (and all of its smaller alternatives like Zibbet) has shown that in order for a venue to inspire trust in authenticity, the venue must have employees willing and able to know real from fake.   The management of most venues, like Etsy, don't realize that staff can be taught to spot fakes without being expert in older things.  Really what you need to know are trends, and what is currently being manufactured and sold wholesale.

If you are selling contemporary collectibles that are well documented with numbers and names for each piece, it's not too difficult for online shoppers to find just the item they were seeking and be confident that it is what the seller says it is (although there might be an issue with condition).

But if you are selling nearly antique (80+ years old) glass or art pottery that has all-too-often been copied in some form in China, you can't trust an online seller to be honest about their items.  You need your own expertise, and a willingness to comparison shop to see if the item you looked at is, in fact, brand new.

Amazon has lots of listings for Chinese fauxtiques, some sold by major Americana and nostalgia brands.  That type of product fits Amazon's business model better.  And these items are also listed on Etsy, marked up to 3 - 5 times the Amazon price, and dated as if they were genuinely old.  Etsy shoppers love them, including the outrageous prices.  Etsy is the online venue for ''antiques'' shoppers who love to be cheated