Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Mon Sept 24 2018 21:57:37

eBay Initiates Managed Payments Rollout to Thousands Opted In

Initiate managed payments sequence! eBay CEO Devin Wenig said the company has initiated the rollout of managed customer payments today, a process that will take weeks. He said thousands of sellers had opted in to managed payments.

eBay is taking over payments in stages after splitting with PayPal in 2015 - a company called Adyen will power the payments, but it will be seamless just as payments are on Amazon and Etsy.

Some major caveats for buyers and sellers:

- When shoppers encounter listings that offer managed payments, they won't be able to pay using PayPal. eBay expects to offer PayPal on eBay managed payments listings in the summer of 2019.

- Sellers can't use eBay's Global Shipping program (and many other internal and external tools that rely on APIs) for listings when opted in to Managed Payments.

eBay describes the program on this page, and you can read more in this article from EcommerceBytes Update.

Please send us your stories as the new system rolls out.

Perminate Link for eBay Initiates Managed Payments Rollout to Thousands Opted In   eBay Initiates Managed Payments Rollout to Thousands Opted In

by: thriftyone This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 24 22:14:56 2018

this is going to get real interesting....I wonder how many sellers are going to regret opting into this come 4th quarter??

This user has validated their user name. by: Ina

Mon Sep 24 22:28:01 2018

Just got an email from a BUYER who said, "Recently noticed that sometimes eBay is assigning their own uniquely-generated order numbers to purchases, presumably now as Merchant of Record." Has anyone else noticed this?

by: comments This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 24 23:12:50 2018

Ebay is throwing out a great opportunity to get ahead of the competition.
If they scrapped managed payments and left payment processing third party then buyers and sellers could benefit from legislation designed to protect small businesses from having to collect sales tax, ultimately giving ebay a chance to reclaim some dominance in the competitive ecommerce space.

If ebay makes sales tax collection easy then the community can not benefit from the small business exemptions that are in the works.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Mon Sep 24 23:40:43 2018

I hope sellers who opted in early will let us know how long it takes for money to be deposited into their bank account, and also if they are expected to ship the item prior to receiving any money. I would also like to hear about how the returns process works, if eBay holds onto their money until the buyer leaves positive feedback, or if eBay goes back into the seller's bank account to refund the buyer. Also, if the seller's name is visible in their listing, or if eBay is shown as the seller of the item.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Tue Sep 25 02:52:03 2018

If I encounter a seller in this program I will have to inform them that I only use Paypal for on line purchases and will have to give them the I"M SORRY I CANNOT BUY YOUR ITEM AS I INTENDED TO. . .

by: angryllama This user has validated their user name.

Tue Sep 25 03:34:36 2018

Addressed to those LUCKY FEW THOUSAND who opted IN for another eBay Flogging.
May God have mercy on your soul. ...... 'cause eBay Corporate surely won't.

by: angryllama This user has validated their user name.

Tue Sep 25 03:46:39 2018

A Few THOUSAND?

A, that is GOOD NEWS if that it how FEW eBay sellers were sufficiently lacking in intelligence to sniff out THIS PARTICULAR Bear-Trap.

B. Sadly there are more likely TENS of Thousands who offered themselves up to the coming Trainwreck.  (sigh) ....  I do hope all reading this share my expectation that the VAST majority of those who are in this are NOT experienced, jaded, cringing Active Sellers with YEARS of selling and THOUSANDS of sales.

No, it is far more likely that they are Naifs who have NOT YET been thrown under the Bus by eBay and their Arbitrary and Capricious rules, quirks and outright DAMMFOOL policies and policy changes.

Schadenfreude    Just might become the new Watch-Word for the coming Christmas Season.  Joy to the World...... eBay now has their fingers WRIST DEEP into YOUR bank account.

by: shut1968 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Sep 25 04:14:00 2018

I'm confused.

What does any of it matter if PayPal is being brought back into it (for them) in 2019?
If they are going to keep PayPal past 2021 the buyers are going to choose PayPal over anything else Ebay offers.

by: wilburnet This user has validated their user name.

Tue Sep 25 04:41:18 2018

No, Managed Payments on Ebay have started. Is there any sellers opted in who post here? I bought something off Ebay last week and probably would have cancelled if i was unable to pay with Paypal.

by: angryllama This user has validated their user name.

Tue Sep 25 05:47:49 2018

@Wilburnet ...  DITTO.  Ebay as a Payment Processor is a RED LINE not to be crossed.  The SOONER we as EBAY sellers/buyers QUASH this nonsense, the better. First Time and EVERY TIME that I have occasion to buy anything thru eBay and come to HIT UPON this New B.S. of NEEDING to use EBAY payment system I will MESSAGE the seller that I wanted to buy from him/her, but that I flat out REFUSE to buy thru eBay's Wrong-Headed "We Beeze Ersatz Pay-Pal" system.

The mere THOUGHT of having to use my own CREDIT CARD when I have $-hundreds on account at PayPal makes this a Non-Starter.

I'll be sure to (GENTLY) let them know that THEY THEMSELVES are not responsible for this SNAFU/FUBAR/TrainWreck, but that the ONLY reason I clicked over and BOUGHT same or similar item from some other eBay seller is THIS FOOL Policy change.

Psssst.   When it comes to eBay changes ....  "NEVER VOLUNTEER"

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Tue Sep 25 06:16:37 2018

"I bought something off Ebay last week and probably would have cancelled if i was unable to pay with Paypal."

I would guess that hundreds of thousands (or more?) will abandon eBay once they realize that they can no longer pay by PayPal.  Most people are creatures of habit and are resistant to change, especially eBay, the "technology" company change.  I see a lot of shopping cart abandonment.  Of course eBay will point the finger at the sellers for that. (price too high, shipping too high, , no free returns, etc.)

Mark my word, if eBay Payments fails it will be the sellers' fault, as always.

by: maxmad This user has validated their user name.

Tue Sep 25 07:35:01 2018

once ebay payments take full effect most sellers will just close down their PayPal account since no money will ever get deposited there, and ebay knows this

I think ebay must of had some disagreement with paypal, with pricing, this whole thing sounds very fishy, ebay is most likely sending a message to paypal, give us what we want or else,

Adyene only makes deposits to a bank account, millions of ebay sellers will not have any use for paypal, if they go this route.

by: angryllama This user has validated their user name.

Tue Sep 25 07:35:23 2018

@Rexford  From your lips (keystrokes) to God's Ears.   I will not support eBay in this FUBAR change and DEARLY HOPE to witness the prompt and total FAILURE of this Wrong-Headed change.
RESISTANCE is not measured solely in OHMS.
If eBay wants to MonkeyWrench their very own business and "profits" . . . should WE stand in their way?

This user has validated their user name. by: Ina

Tue Sep 25 08:45:27 2018

@shut1968
1) When eBay begins allowing PayPal through Managed Payments, the payment will go into eBay's PayPal account, not the seller's PayPal account. (This is how Etsy now does it.)

2) PayPal currently powers the payments process for eBay, but eBay is now transitioning to using a different company (Adyen) to power the process.

eBay doesn't want to exclude PayPal as a "payment method," rather, it appears eBay is unable to integrate PayPal into Managed Payments at this point.

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Tue Sep 25 09:52:12 2018

I wanted to buy an item Yesterday and the page showed Pay Pal ONLY and yet displayed ALL of the popular credit cards.
I told the seller I don't use Pay Pal anymore. Would he be able to take my credit card ?.....He answered NO.
So, another sale missed by Ebay.

by: Mark4 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Sep 25 10:11:59 2018

If I go to buy something on ebay and can not pay using paypal I will simply go to Amazon and buy there. We only trust paypal and so do millions of other buyers, another nail in ebay's coffin. Yesterday we saw on a major cable news financial channel a story that Square is looking at buying ebay??? Anyone else heard about this?

by: sasikat9 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Sep 25 10:16:36 2018

I tried to purchase something a few minutes ago. NO PAYPAL ALLOWED. I emailed the seller and asked him why. He said he didn't realize that he couldn't use paypal anymore and was trying to get ebay to let him out of this mess. Said he couldn't afford to not use paypal as all the buyer use it. I told him LOTS OF LUCK but I think your screwed.

by: angryllama This user has validated their user name.

Tue Sep 25 10:44:11 2018

@The End.   Seeing all of those Credit Card Symbols is not New NEW.  Why are they there even though the SELLER specifies PayPal Only?  Because the way it has been working for months ( years?) anyone (With or Without an active PayPal account) can SELECT to pay thru PayPal using their own CREDIT CARDS.

Actually pretty convenient even though as YET, I've never needed to do so.

I did come AWFULLY CLOSE a couple of months back when my "mental note to self" informed me I had $200-ish in PayPal.  I too casually bought a $110 gizmo only to find that between THAT $110 and about $40 of LOCAL in-store purchases not yet posted,  my PayPal balance had dipped UNDER $30.  That might seem enough of a pad, but I get on average 0 to 2 International Sales per week and that put me in a spot where AFTER paying for TWO that same afternoon, I almost had to POSTPONE shipping some other outbound USA destination packages until the following day.  In the event, another couple of DOMESTIC sales came in so it was a potential, but not an actual problem.
PS:  Look at your own sale listings and even if YOU likewise have PAYPAL ONLY you'll see charge card emblems, too.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Tue Sep 25 10:49:43 2018

@Mark4 - Apparently that (Square buying eBay) came up on a site called The Motley Fool a few days ago. I hadn't heard, but apparently Square and eBay have partnered to provide loans to eBay sellers. The consensus of the article appears to be that they think Square should buy Etsy.

by: Mark4 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Sep 25 11:07:52 2018

Comments section not flattering. Interesting seeing this from the buyers side.

s-in-first-step-of-move-away-from-paypal-2018-09-25