Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Mon July 16 2018 20:39:51

eBay Unveils Payments Beta on Anniversary of PayPal Split

We noted in our editorial this morning (available to email subscribers) that this is the 3-year anniversary of eBay's split with PayPal, meaning eBay would be able to start testing its own payments system on a small scale.

Hours later, eBay sent an email to sellers inviting them to participate in a beta trial that begins in September. And while it didn't provide information about the cost of using eBay Payments, it said there would be special pricing for those who opted in early. (Eventually it will become mandatory for all users.)

eBay had previously announced it would become a "payments intermediary," meaning that while buyers will continue to use various payment methods - including PayPal - they will pay eBay rather than paying sellers. eBay will then disburse payments to sellers. Read more in this January blog post.

Today, eBay positioned it as a "simpler" way to get paid: "Consolidated pricing: all your fees in one place on one bill, plus special pricing for early opt-in."

Sellers have expressed many concerns about eBay's forthcoming approach to payments. A key concern is how long it will take to receive their funds. eBay said there would be daily payouts, but it said "All cleared funds will generally be paid in a daily batch and directly to your bank account, regardless of how your buyer chooses to pay."

The words "cleared" and "generally" may give rise to concern.

One seller said they worried about what would happen to micro payments, which PayPal offers and makes it affordable to sell items at extremely low prices.

In its email today, eBay provided sellers with FAQs and invited them to take a survey to provide feedback. Here's what eBay sent to sellers:

Tell us what you want to learn about managing payments on eBay.
This will be a multi-year journey, and you've been invited to participate in the initial launch this fall. We want to keep you informed of our plans to manage payments. Before you sign up for managed payments, you may have questions. Here are answers to questions that may be on your mind

1) What are the key benefits?

- One place to sell and get paid: manage all your selling and payments needs from within your eBay account.

- Simpler bills: all your fees in one place on your eBay bill.

- Consolidated pricing: all your fees in one place on one bill, plus special pricing for early opt-in*.

- Daily payouts: direct to your bank account. No need to transfer funds between accounts.

- New ways for buyers to pay: such as mobile payments with Apple Pay.

- Better protection: claim and chargeback seller protections provided by eBay, with one place to manage disputes.

- More control: accept your exclusive invitation now to get a head start on adapting your business to selling and getting paid on eBay.

2) What will eBay's fees be?
In September 2018, you will receive an invitation to participate in our limited initial launch. To access the offer, you'll be prompted to sign in to your account for more information and specifics like fees and additional frequently asked questions.

3) How will I access my funds?
All cleared funds will generally be paid in a daily batch and directly to your bank account, regardless of how your buyer chooses to pay. From your bank account, you can access your funds directly, with no need to transfer funds between accounts. In addition, we're working with our financial partners to enable even more options for speedy access to your earnings.

4) What will I have to do to sign-up?
Your invitation in September will take you to a sign up page for a quick and easy enrollment process. After you enter a few personal details like preferred bank account for payouts and your social security number to verify your identity, we'll manage the rest. We will automatically update your existing account and listings and transfer your existing listings to the new payments model. For new listings, we'll ask you to use Seller Hub's listing page and any existing listings APIs you use.

We're still continuing to work on additional details. If you have other questions, please let us know what you'd like to know about managing payments.

What's most important to you as eBay begins managing payments? Select all that apply.

- How quickly I can access my funds.

- New forms of payment for my buyers.

- How returns and refunds will be managed.

- What protections eBay will extend to me.

- What the discounted pricing will be.

- Other

Please let us know if you have any other feedback. (Text box)

Please don't include any personal information, such as your name, address, phone or user ID in the fields above.

By using this feature and submitting feedback, suggestions or enhancements, you assign to eBay all right, title and interest to all associated proprietary rights worldwide, including without limitation, all patent, copyright, trade secret, trademark, moral right, rights of publicity, or other intellectual property rights.

Perminate Link for eBay Unveils Payments Beta on Anniversary of PayPal Split   eBay Unveils Payments Beta on Anniversary of PayPal Split

by: MCSeller This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 16 21:47:26 2018

I will NOT be providing eBay with my SSN. If they need it for 200/20K tax purposes then ok they should be fine with an EIN. I don’t trust eBay enough for them to store that information. Nor do they need to do an ID check when most of us have been with them for many years. This is all too much.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Mon Jul 16 21:55:19 2018

I opted in, if they're going to make it mandatory why not be the 1st doing it at a discounted rate.

by: Just Plain Irritated This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 16 22:12:54 2018

30 Deposits into my checking account rather than the normal 2 will make for quite a bit of extra account validation.

And I don't want them taking money OUT of my account or charging my card for returns. They had best retain some money in our eBay account to cover that, like we left it in our PayPal account.

This whole idea is scary, knowing about all their endless glitches.

by: Just Plain Irritated This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 16 22:14:47 2018

Why couldn't they let us ask for the amount of money we want deposited into our accounts like we did on PayPal. That should meet everyone's needs.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Mon Jul 16 22:22:18 2018

At least eBay is offering to give you your money daily.

How does Amazon pay it's sellers? Once a week or once every 2 weeks?

by: RT This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 17 00:03:21 2018

There is no reason ebay should REQUIRE your SSN.
If they can not accept a EIN for tax reasons then they need to double think their business model.

by: buffalochick This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 17 07:51:03 2018

Every single thing about this should scare the pants off of you.  Lower fees?  So they are raising them AGAIN?  Higher than paypal's processing fees?  September?  Yup, right during the busiest time of the year. What could possibly go wrong...Special invitation?  So some sellers are more special than others?  OMG so glad I'll be gone by the end of the year.  SSN to ebay?  Again, what could possibly go wrong.. This is a huge recipe for disaster. Ebay can't get a 15% off coupon right... Seller protection?  You mean vaseline of course.. free from ebay.  Because that is all you will need when ebay controls your money.

by: FIREWENIG This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 17 09:10:49 2018

What about PayPal working capital?  Thousands of EBay sellers are in this program including myself, what happens with those?  Has EBay made an agreement with PayPal to continue to disburse funds to them going forward?  I have seen no mention of this and it's a very big deal for a lot of sellers.

by: FIREWENIG This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 17 09:15:16 2018

@Tool

They say DAILY once Cleared?  Pay attention to the language here, cleared could also mean once delivered.  I really think they are going to try an put delivery matrix in to funds release especially for newer sellers without a doubt. Don't forget who this is EBay!

by: Rockstarflipper This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 17 09:18:48 2018

So I'm up in the air about this.  If the fees are less great. I don't care if Ebay sends money to my bank, or PayPal sends it to my bank its all the same.   Giving Ebay my SSN is fine, they have my business EIN, and all my info, having my SSN is standard for every site I get paid from (amazon selling, youtube ad revenue, etc) its SOP tax purposes for online sites.  I would like a PayPal debit card alternative if possible.  BUT if the money is hitting everyday I really shouldn't need it...I don't necessarily need the debit card I have from PayPal, but its nice to have if I wake up and sold $100 worth of items and I take the card out to buy new items to sell.    Also the working capital loans I used years ago when I was growing.. now I don't need them but I'm sure a lot of people would still like something similar

by: DingDong This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 17 09:40:12 2018

Am I understanding that all payments will go through EBay?
1. So a buyer pays via Paypal but it's Ebay Paypal and then disbursed.
OR
2. It's Ebay Payment - Ebay pays you
It's Paypal Payment - It's into my account

I was thinking if it was the second, that I may only have a few listings with 7 days handling, to wait for Ebay payment *
And in the listing, if they use PAYPAL that the shipment would be shipped the next day.
BUT * if Cleared means shipped and received.
NO WAY! am I sending out my products without that money in hand.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Tue Jul 17 10:33:32 2018

"Better protection: claim and chargeback seller protections provided by eBay, with one place to manage disputes."

I think we all know that on eBay, there is no such thing as seller protections, so this should be of concern to everyone. Since they will have access to your bank account, if a buyer makes a SNAD claim, you can bet eBay will be dipping into the seller's bank accounts to refund the buyer.

by: Carol Is Here This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 17 11:09:40 2018

Fisher, their tech top executive who made a lot of money mangling Ebay technologically, got a PROMOTION to head new payments

New job, more money, he had zero experience when hired by Wenig. Just a lawyer with no cred and no success at anything.

by: papergoy This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 17 11:12:08 2018

Um, I suspect they HAVE to get your social security number.  I suspect it's some form of the Patriot Act or some such nonsense- with the know your customer portion of the law- if you remember it was passed to make it difficult for terrorists to launder money (and if you don't provide it to them, then the terrorists have won).  EBay could technically be falling within the banking laws if they process payments in this manner, and may be REQUIRED by law to have a SSN on file.  We can debate the merits of them making this move all day long, but again I don't think they're asking for the information as they think it would be pretty cool to have on file but rather because they HAVE to have it.

by: sasikat9 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 17 11:43:43 2018

As usual everyone is against anything Ebay does. I for one will welcome September to sign up. You people will also be joining me in the future whether or not you want to. You want to sell on Ebay you will join me.

by: wilburnet This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 17 12:07:41 2018

Its pretty obvious they will raise the final value fees later this year - i predict minimum 15-17.5% minimum FVF for all categories.

@toolguy -  Oh you believe Ebay when they say you will receive daily withdrawls ?
Nope because they lie

by: wilburnet This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 17 12:10:12 2018

@sasikat9   typical cheerleader - did someone send you ?

by: hopeforthebest This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 17 12:12:16 2018

So naive, Toolguy. It's not a promise of 'lower fees forever'. It's 'lower fees' - for now. And they won't tell you what those fees are - sounds honest to me!

''From your bank account, you can access your funds directly'' - how kind to give me what I already have!

''claim and chargeback seller protections provided by eBay, with one place to manage disputes'' - nothing new here. And, as somebody already said, not all that great a protection for us.

''We're still continuing to work on additional details.'' - So, they're not even ready to roll it out. Great time to 'opt-in'.

''All cleared funds will generally be paid in a daily batch'' - define 'cleared funds' and that special catchphrase 'generally' which really could mean anything or nothing.

''enter a few personal details like preferred bank account for payouts and your social security number to verify your identity'' - no big deal. Just your bank info and SSN. All your financial data will be ours. We'll keep it safe and secure, just like we did your login details in that infamous breach a few years back...

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Tue Jul 17 13:13:23 2018

@sasikat9

Sorry that some felt compelled to call you a name just because your view may be different than theirs.  As if somehow their opinion is better or more important than yours.

I agree with your observation.  While this whole thing makes me quite nervous since Ebay seems to have self inflicted problems implementing most anything.  But the good thing is Ayden isn't new at this, so they may be able to help guide Ebay a bit to make it an easier transition than it otherwise might be.

So I'd go in with my eyes wide open and with an abundance of caution.  But I too would do the Beta program.  And I like the perk of lower fees.

by: OnlyPollyPocket This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 17 13:42:48 2018

Egads!  And the fubar continues.  I sell on ebay and it does have its merits but even the cheerleaders have to admit that ebay rarely touches anything that doesn't go south and even when they get it right, they mess it up down the road.

At least with Paypal there was a cushion, another avenue in a dispute, but I am downright nervous about ebay having full control of our $$$

As for "Seller Protections", here is just one fine example: https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Victim-of-buyer-fraud/m-p/284717
13#M1204541
so I give that as much credence as the guy trying to sell me a bridge.

1 2 3 4 5 6  [Next Page]