Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Mon June 4 2018 13:54:22

eBay Kills a Merchandising Feature for Store Owners

eBay shoppers often wish to view a seller's other listings when they're viewing a listing for a particular item, but eBay has eliminated the "See other items" for Store owners. Instead, there is only a link to "Visit store."

"When I found something I liked from a seller, I always looked to see what else he had I might have missed," one shopper wrote in a thread on the eBay discussion boards about the change.

As with many unannounced changes, the first question eBay Store owners had: was it a glitch, or was it intentional? An eBay moderator confirmed it was intentional, posting the following on Friday afternoon:

"Happy to help confirm that this is an intentional change. We've made some changes to maintain a simplified display on the View Item Page, which includes the removal of the See seller's other items link from listings of those who have subscribed to a store. Those items are still visible through the Visit Store link and this change should ensure that buyer's are clear on where they are going when they select a link."

But a seller wondered what exactly had been unclear about the link, asking, "Where specifically were buyers going after they clicked on "see seller's other items" if not to the seller's other items?"

And added: "So you actually deleted yet another useful seller's tool to "simplify things."

While shoppers can still click on the link to the sellers' Store from listings, it's not the same, as one seller pointed out:

"The seller's other items gave you their Ebay listing page - which I could then use the filters to the right and search for what I wanted.

"The seller's store takes them to all the items the seller's has listed - but now you only have their categories to use as a filter. Often - and I've done it myself while listing - I forget to change the store category that was used for a previous listed item and is now the default - thus putting the item in the wrong category and it may not be seen."

Some posters said with surprising emphasis that they would not click on the link to go to sellers' Stores.

The "See other items" link can help Store owners increase their average order size - sellers often offer combined shipping for purchases of multiple items.

Surprisingly given the general cynicism of eBay sellers, no one theorized the change may have been intended to further incent sellers to pay for Promoted Listing Ads to make up for any decreased exposure to their listings.

Sellers are also discussing today what appears to be a glitch rather than an intentional change: "Starting last night, half of my listings show the view count reset to zero." See this thread "View Count Reset to Zero" on the eBay boards.

Perminate Link for eBay Kills a Merchandising Feature for Store Owners   eBay Kills a Merchandising Feature for Store Owners

by: P.Dorf This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 4 14:35:13 2018

As a reluctant buyer on ebay, it seems every day, another (needless) change.

The item pages are getting as sparse & useless as those shown on soon to be RIP, Maplins & 1 foot in the grave, Homebase.

Probably desperate penny-pinching to save server & bandwidth costs. Ejuts!

by: Silver Ice King This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 4 14:37:34 2018

Anything that Ebay does is done to monetize at some point in the future.  The reason that glitches are not corrected is that there is no money in it for Ebay so therefore no reason to deal with it.  I guarantee you that if Ebay was losing money on something and was aware of it, the problem would be fixed the same day or somebodys head would roll.

This appears to just be another way to clear space on that page for Ebay to place more ads to generate income as they long ago faced the fact they do not know how to grow the core Ebay business.  They obviously know nothing about retail or Ecommerce but evidently somebody has convinced Wenig that they can show growth by making more room on the listing or display pages for click through ads.

Its a shame that they will never hire a person who has the ability to recommend realistic changes that could increase the sites sales and thus the revenues.  But that would mean admitting that they know nothing about Retail and would require they hire someone that is smarter than them.  Wenig is to egotistical to ever make a move like that.

This user has validated their user name. by: FidoMaster

Mon Jun 4 15:28:21 2018

This is a strong “anti-value” to a store subscription. (!)

It’s safe to assume that all intentional friction introduced by eBay, whether adding extra clicks to view a sold listing, or additional clicks to get to a PBSE listing, is designed to “surface” a fresh series of promoted listings, 3rd-party PLAs, new local services ads, and of course 4-6 horizontal bars of 4-6 listings each of, “more chances to get what you want” listings, “people were also interested in” listing and so on and so forth.

As buyer growth has stalled, expect to see eBay continue to slice, dice, segment buyers, sellers, advertisers, etc. and attempt to monetize virtually every interaction and touchpoint they believe they can milk for more profit.

Nothing is off limits.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ric

Mon Jun 4 15:29:06 2018

Yet another unannounced change that negatively impacts eBay store subscribers.

More 'nothing for something' from a company that is turning selling on eBay into a zero sum game.

eBay always claims they have their sellers backs, but it would appear the only reason they look out for the backs of their sellers is so they know where to plunge the knife.

by: RL15 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 4 15:56:26 2018

another brilliant piece of nonsense from the delusional ceo.

when all the smoke and mirrors go away, the only ones on fleecebay will be the chinese and the grifter

by: gramophone-georg This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 4 16:38:47 2018

As a buyer only for the last eight years it seems that lately EVERY... SINGLE... DAY... there is a change or multiple changes to the seeking and buying process... EVERY ONE OF WHICH is adding clicks to an already impossibly outmoded and clunkily complicated process.

Trying to buy on eBay makes buying on Amazon more pleasurable every day. Problem is, a lot of what I buy isn't on Amazon or I would have flipped eBay off long ago.

It's as if eBay is gleefully throwing one roadblock after another in the way of buyers.

It's mind- bogglingly unbelievable.

by: comments This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 4 16:39:43 2018

Another ebay change that helps no one. If they wanted to simplify things then they should have removed the "view store" like to give everyone the same features.

I know lots of the sellers aren't enjoying this but it sucks alot more for us buyers too. If you type something into the search bar it does give you the search filers back so I don't even get the point for the store thing at all.

I buy LOTS of auction items and when I see a seller with something I want I ALWAYS go straight to the view sellers other items button to find more. This just complicates things for no reason and no gain for anyong.

by: amazedndazed This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 4 17:37:45 2018

What they should do is use SEE OTHER ITEMS IN STORE at least. When viewing with regular CHROME or MICROSOFT browser on laptop computer, the see other items is GONE. However, when viewing eBay on the Internet on my Ipad, (NOT the eBay AP which is horrid & unreliable) I can still see OTHER ITEMS. It is tedious to peruse lengthy categories from the Ipad, so I use my laptop. Many of my buyers are older & use the laptop computers. I notice that I have had more views lately, because they are probably clicking on my store name, & have picked up a few more watchers. However, sales have declined. I myself am a seller, & a heavy buyer, but I have skipped viewing other items from store owners.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Mon Jun 4 19:08:18 2018

RIC's post hit the nail on the head.

There must be no one left at ebafia corporate with any common sense or understanding of actual customer behavior.

They have never understood that the more they antagonize sellers and buyers, the further into the Wall Street muck they sink.

Instead they pursue a course of heavy handed coercion laced with lies and outright theft and then wonder why fewer and fewer people want to sell or buy.

They are brilliant in their utter stupidity.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Mon Jun 4 19:57:43 2018

I HATE that this link has been removed.  It makes no sense whatsoever.  Ebay is trying to get more people to go to the Store view.  Well personally I don't like that view because some sellers take up way too much room with their store headers.  I've even seen those that it presents as a full page or more on my screen.

And OMG for mobile users.  What a pain for them.

There IS A WORKAROUND.  It takes an extra click, but IMHO it is worth it.  Click on the seller's FB number.  That takes you to their FB page.  On the right is a link that says " View Items For Sale".  That will get you to the page we are missing the link for inside the listing.

We should NOT have to do this.  Ebay needs to put that link back.  This is going to HURT sales.  If Ebay wants are stores seen more, then they need to come up with something far better than this disaster.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Mon Jun 4 20:46:26 2018

amazon+ecrater+poshmark+etsy+mercari = none of these shenanigans

by: Snapped This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 4 22:48:01 2018

Bad enough they do what they do, and don't what they should.  Their premise being that it is not chaos if it's purposeful, and that their users are just inflexble or resistant to 'progress'.

Even worse is that they do it with no notice, no explanation, and with glaringly arrogant incompetence.  Sellers (AND buyers) have to 'discover' these complicated 'simplifications' to their dismay and confusion.  And THEN they have to spend otherwise completely unnecessary time (theirs AND eBay's) trying to clarify if it's yet another glitch, or yet another purposeful obfuscation.  Only to, in most cases, be connected with a cluless CS rep.  Clueless, because eBay doesn't even internally communicate their machinations.

Although lately they have seemed to convince one of their drones to ''happily clarify'' everything by wrapping it in a propaganda fog.

The result of all this incessant and schizophrenic 'innovation'?   A fine eBay example of a ''consistent buyer experience'' that encompasses no two buyers seeing the same results in the same way - and no ONE buyer able to count on two different returns - from the SAME SOURCE - looking or behaving the same either.

And then they leave, purses full, Inventory stale, covered in spaghetti.

Yep.  eBay's 'killing it', one self inflicted shot in the foot at a time.

by: dans parts This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 4 23:06:53 2018

I noticed this yesterday (or day before), and HATE IT!!!

When presented with looking at the Store View or View Seller's other items, I always skipped the Store View, as I hated the arrangement.  I either want to look at someone's items by PRICE or ENDING SOONEST.

There are other changes.

If you have ended items on a Watch List, see if you can click one of the ended items and get to the original auction, or get defaulted to someone else's live auction for a similar item.

Also, Seller Hub accounts have a new format for their Watch List.  Ugly.

by: justchangecarriers This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jun 5 00:42:42 2018

yeah there is a way around this right now. Click on their name and then click on items for sale. But if they get rid of that its going to be terrible.

I noticed this quarter ebay never sent me a message about my supplies coupon. I almost forgot about it but I am on my last box of mailers and checked my account. I had the anchor coupon in there. Thanks ebay. I went to my purchase history to find the name of the item I bought so I can get the same thing. I went to their supply items with start shopping. There is no way to search. Its just categories. What the heck? I cant search a persons store for an item specifically? This is ridiculously stupid. Thank god I found a work around to find the mailers I neeeded.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Tue Jun 5 01:39:08 2018

@justchangecarriers

Your just anxious.  The new quarter doesn't start until July.

This user has validated their user name. by: Unicorns and Rainbows

Tue Jun 5 02:26:29 2018

Even better, users are reporting the Store link has sometimes been returning a "This Store does not exist" screen. Also, eBay is putting banner ads on Store pages that redirect users to listings that are not in the Store.  Those are probably the Promoted Listings eBay wants people to buy.

I don't see how this does anything but reduce buying on eBay.  The idea that the two links were redundant or confusing to buyers just has no basis in reality, they apparently won't tell anyone the real reason.

by: wilburnet This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jun 5 03:26:50 2018

It was always great and practical to click view sellers items and then you could search by " newly listed " which i always preferred.
I have the outdated Ebay app and things still seem to work fine there.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Tue Jun 5 09:14:34 2018

Looks like a good excuse to get out of my yearly agreement on my eBay store.

It's getting harder and harder to shake these pom poms. . .

by: captainzombie This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jun 5 09:31:30 2018

I just do not understand this company anymore. They keep removing feature after feature that is sinking their sales even more. I was talking to their support last night, low and behold their feature to download your sales reports isn’t working properly. Due to the amount of transaction I have a report has to be emailed to me, yet I ran this report several days ago and I still haven’t received my csv file. Now their billing Dept has to take a look at my invoice since it appears I might be getting overcharged.

I brought up to the csr about eBay stepping back and doing one seller update for the year and then spend the rest of the year fixing dead pages, the issues with file exchanges, and updating old eBay pages to the new templates. My response was that these things don’t make the company money so it’s in the back burner plus there is a lack of staff to work on this stuff. I am baffled each day by this so called “tech” company that is screwing up the buyer and seller experience.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Tue Jun 5 09:34:43 2018

I've started buying on Amazon!

I was very anti Amazon over the past 20 years

That is changing!

I see myself buying more from Amazon & less on eBay!

eBay is hell bent on self destruction!

1 2 3  [Next Page]