Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Sat Jan 6 2018 22:50:54

eBay Marketing Email Features Recommended Sellers

Most of the marketing emails I get from eBay feature commodity goods that generally don't pique my interest, but today, eBay sent an email that caught my attention. After listing 8 "popular items," eBay included four "Recommended Sellers."

How did eBay come to pick four sellers to recommend? Did those sellers have to pay eBay for the extra exposure? And with artificial intelligence and personalization being the flavors of the day, did all recipients see the same four sellers?

eBay also included three trending products - and one was "2017 Hallmark Ornaments" - bingo, finally something I could sink my teeth into.

How well does eBay match marketing emails with your interests, and how does that compare with other retailers and marketplaces? And have you ever been featured in an eBay marketing email?

Perminate Link for eBay Marketing Email Features Recommended Sellers   eBay Marketing Email Features Recommended Sellers

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Sun Jan 7 00:42:48 2018

Top Rated Plus Seller, 100% feedback, perfect DSRs, 100% across the Dashboard, Anchor Store, and an ASP of more than $107.00 and have never been featured in any ebafia email or on their home page.

The marketing emails I receive feature items that are derivatives of or related to previous purchases. I think over the years I've purchased no more than five items from their Daily Deal and Mystery Mondays waste of time.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jan 7 10:01:00 2018

ahhhhh the beloveds and the deals of the day people, the asian sellers et al - how could a crooked crime syndicate wanna be survive with out them ????????

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Sun Jan 7 12:42:07 2018

I don't think I've ever gotten a "marketing email" from ebay!

Do you have to be opted into such a thing?

by: FeelingFroggy This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jan 7 12:53:36 2018

We don't participate in any ebay survey, questioneer or what ever else they might send. All messages are deleted not to be read. We don't shop on Ebay and we don't compare prices using Ebay. So we don't really care what they do as its their playground and we just sell there. We prefer that they just forget we exist as we do fine without all their best deals and sales.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Sun Jan 7 16:20:11 2018

@froggy

If you don't want to get Ebay emails, you just need to go into your account and set your site preferences so that you won't receive anymore.  Safe yourself time by just not receiving them at all.

Site Preferences
  Communication Preferences [left side of screen]
     Promotions & Surveys [all the way at the bottom]

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jan 7 17:44:44 2018

"If you don't want to get Ebay emails, you just need to go into your account and set your site preferences so that you won't receive anymore"

That may be HIS point (post), but its not THE point, is it?

Dont you feel left out as a hard working seller? Dont YOU feel left out that eBay refuses to notice your accomplishments? Dont YOU feel left out that eBay has its thumb on the scale (yet again) and make selling on the platform (with your "partner") unfair?

I know I do.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Sun Jan 7 18:20:07 2018

@pace

I wasn't trying to change what the subject of this blog is.  I simply offered some information that froggy may not have had, NOTHING more.

"As for getting the emails - sure its choice - but getting them, lets people know what crooked things eBay is up to .... unless no one cares????"  Froggy had stated that he does not ready any of the emails from Ebay anymore, so I offered some information, in case he wasn't aware, so that he could turn them off.  This would save him time an annoyance from having to delete them.  If someone isn't reading them then they are NOT aware of what they contain unless they get their info elsewhere, which may or may not be accurate.

As to your other questions, my original post said NOTHING about any of that.  You are trying to make what I said VERY different from what I actually said.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jan 7 20:41:51 2018

No Im not.

You simply changed the topic from what was IN the email, into whether or not he wanted to GET the email.

On that point - how to avoid getting BS emails from eBay - you are right - you told him how to avoid getting them - but that WASNT the point here was it?

The topic was/is "eBay Marketing Email Features Recommended Sellers", NOT - how to avoid seeing them.

Point #2 ..... "If someone isn't reading them then they are NOT aware of what they contain " ... ok and if a tree falls in the forest does it still make noise? Is THAT the topic we are discussing? Or has it become an esoteric psychological game ... where merely LOOKING/OBSERVING an object changes what it is ???

In any case - my replies are NOT to point out any wrong that you may or may NOT have "done/said/thought" etc - you werent WRONG - just that IGNORING said emails wont change the evil, rotten ,nasty, despicable things that eBay is doing - can we at least agree on THAT ?

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Sun Jan 7 23:29:40 2018

Now that ebafia has discovered a new way to further disadvantage most of us, just don't buy anything from their "recommended sellers."

While I'm not going to waste time looking up the feedback and DSRs of these "recommended sellers," it would be interesting to keep track of the number of negatives and other complaints about them.

by: Moonwishes This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jan 8 01:14:36 2018

Years ago when I still had a store on ebay, they had a contest for 3-4 types of sellers. You had to enter the contest as they were actually giving out a prize worth having. I entered as a small store seller. When the winners were announced, I felt bad to not have won, but didn't figure I had much of a chance anyhow. Well I must have read something wrong in the rules and for what they were looking for as the 'winner' in my category, had a store without even a logo, hardly any stock, most of it being yard sale rejects, etc. It was pitiful. I had seen many, many stores much more quailified than his to win. The last thing he needed or deserved was a prize for 'best small store'!!! Even then ebay was lying to folks. That must have been during Meg's tenure which was the beginning of the end for ebay as far as I was concerned.

I wouldn't be at all concerned about who their 'best sellers' are this year. For all you know next week they will toss them out on their collective ears.

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jan 8 05:08:27 2018

I doubt if any buyers are going to the stores of recommended sellers.  But I am impressed that they have 9,000+ followers.  They must be on social media pushing those social media buttons!  I know some sellers ARE working social media 24/7, they're on Youtube and Instagram, etc. so that must be how they get the followers.
I've got a different beef with Ebay.  Two auctions sold and I will have to wait for the money to hit PP.  I've said it over and over that EB must figure out a way to freeze the accounts of the bidders for the amount bid; freeze their accts for 3 days and deposit the funds on the 4th day.  Sometimes I'm waiting 7 days for the buyer to pay.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Mon Jan 8 08:07:18 2018

Pace 306 says "Dont you feel left out as a hard working seller?"

Only on eBay. The other sites that I sell on (one in particular) want me as a seller and I am allowed to grow my business there. My sales doubled in December on that site. They don't hide me, they don't have invisible seller limits, and they aren't constantly slapping my hand due to their imagined slights.  I've been selling there for two years and have never had a return.  I now sell on 5 sites.  eBay is losing ground to all five.  They will continue to do so until they start valuing their customers and treating them like they did in the early days of eBay, i.e. pre- Meg Whitman.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jan 8 09:17:33 2018

REX :) nice to have you "back".

eBay DOESNT get it .... every sale I make on Amazon, COULD have been theirs - but wasnt because of something they did. Everytime they steal from me - it just pushes me to do MORE on Amazon and Walmart.

I have no issues being "loyal" to eBay, I just cant be "partners" with people wo seem to go out of their way to hurt me time after time.

by: a_c_green This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jan 8 10:48:49 2018

I don't give a ding-dong about their ''recommended sellers,'' as they're never selling something unique that can't be found from a zillion other sellers as well. I just carry on as best I can with my own stuff and my own niche market, and I don't worry about all their other Marketing hype; they're off in their own world someplace.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Mon Jan 8 14:41:42 2018

@Rexford

"i.e. pre- Meg Whitman."

eBay was barely a website before Meg Whitman came on board.

Only 1 in 100,000 people had heard of ebay before meg became CEO.

I give Meg Whitman all the credit she deserves for making ebay the household name it is today! Of the 3 CEO's she was the best. . .

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Mon Jan 8 14:48:12 2018

I had a chance to bring a $500 sale off eBay today but I did not.

A friend who buys from me on a regular basis that used to live in California asked me why I wasn't responding to his questions and offers????

I asked which of my ID's he was sending these questions to.

He responded and said he used the "Big Box" at the bottom of the page!

I had to explain that ebay was sending his questions to "The Community" and not me.

I called him up and asked what he wanted, he wanted 13 items at a reduced cost. I could've taken the sale off eBay right then and there,

But instead being the loyal ebay seller I am I added best offer to the 13 items.

eBay reaped $40+ off the transaction! I hope they remember this when I ask for a credit from the thief they allowed to keep my item and do a charge back on.

Paypal now says I have to wait 75 days for a final answer :-(

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Mon Jan 8 16:44:52 2018

This post is off topic, so for those that take issue with that, please just ignore my post.

@toolguy

You are still mad at Ebay for something they didn't do.  Ebay had nothing to do with that Chargeback that your buyer filed in PP.  Your frustration and anger about the issue should be directed at PP.

You are getting really bad information / help out of PP.  In all my years and all the chargebacks I've ever gotten, I've never had to wait for my money for more than a handful of days.  Since we can't or shouldn't converse about everything that has transpired with this issue for you, it is hard to say why this is happening to you, but you should know that it is not normal or at least it has never been normal in my experience.

This user has validated their user name. by: 2Tired4This

Mon Jan 8 17:05:49 2018

@Rexford ''i.e. pre- Meg Whitman.''

We have been selling on eBay since the start of the site. We are a long term Top Rated Plus seller with 100% Positive feedback. We have three stores with the largest one dealing with new and used automotive parts.

We had very, very good sales when Meg was in charge.
But our sales have gone DOWN, DOWN, DOWN, DOWN under the last two CEOs. In fact almost everything has just continued to get worse and worse for sellers with those two in
charge.

AS a long term seller, We are so VERY UNHAPPY with what eBay has become. We may not fight it much longer. It's just not much worth it!  I can only hope things will get better, but it just seems like that will not happen with the current management staff. I'm not going to list all the problems we see with the site. Everyone here has already done that.

I am NOT one of those wishing for eBay to die. We need the site to be back to a source of income worth the effort. We need the income and will be happy to make the effort, if it is worth it.
We can only hope for a change!!!

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Mon Jan 8 18:09:37 2018

@marie

Paypal is the processor of the payment.

The BUYER is ebay's customer!

eBay forced me to take Paypal, Paypal's hands are tied when it comes to Credit Card Companies. They just can't refuse a chargeback!

I'm holding ebay responsible not Paypal.

The least ebay could do is force THEIR customer to return my item!

I'm NOT wrong in blaming ebay over Paypal. . .

by: Snapped This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jan 9 01:13:33 2018

"I am NOT one of those wishing for eBay to die. We need the site to be back to a source of income worth the effort."

The cry (aka "noise") from sellers who have been continuously kicked in the nethers by each eBay 'enhancement' began about the same time eBay's disruptor-in-chief announced that for the kind of 'technology' they envisioned employing, perhaps the 'customer' didn't know what they wanted.  So eBay would decide what is best, was implied.

And with every decision they made, when it became clear such was more disadvantaging to a given seller than otherwise 'advertised' (and administered), or indeed to whole classes of sellers, the specific concerns were dismissed as no less than hate, unworthy of consideration, or even acknowledgement.

Clearly, nobody who seeks to be able to 'partner' with eBay seeks their demise.  This latest we-know-best manifestation from their well intended but myopically focused marketing minions - the results of which defy eCommon sense, shouldn't surprise though.  It's now endemic to their corporate culture.  Peasant sellers (and buyers) must be led by the nose rings their investments in an eBay partnership (or purchase) actually entails.

And neither should any 'dismissal' or accusation of mere hate and ill wishes that will be assessed against any opinions