Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Fri Sept 29 2017 22:31:24

The Real Problem with eBay Seller Hub

eBay's new Seller Hub portal for sellers has some problems, Wall Street firm Mizuho concluded after speaking to toy seller named Toynk. Barrons wrote about Mizuho's report, which called eBay Seller Hub a work in progress and cited the following problems:

"It's pricing dashboard doesn't yet have the lowest pricing on platform, a key factor for merchants to do price matching on the platform.

"Meanwhile they write that its growth dashboard also doesn't have new inventory suggestions, another important data point for merchants."

But when eBay rolled out Seller Hub widely this month, sellers had other issues with the tool that were far more fundamental than the ones cited in the Barrons article.

Sellers discussed the new portal during eBay's weekly chat (right before the eBay Fall Seller Update). We pulled out the problems sellers identified, along with eBay's responses, below. Note that these are excerpts - we've provided Message #s so you can read the full seller comment and full eBay response:

1) Lack of customization on Orders pages:
"Currently there are two versions of the Orders pages in Seller Hub, one referred to as the "old" format and one the "new" format. The new format doesn't' have the Customize button and we can't add or remove columns like we could in the "old" format." (Message #4)

eBay response: "The lack of customize button is actually an error we will have fixed here in the coming weeks with planned updates." (Message #5)

2) No way to opt out:
"In order to send Seller Hub into a Black Hole somewhere and regain My eBay, a truly useful, trusted, worthwhile listing system that gives me exactly what I need and doesn’t shove my face in useless, frustrating graphs and blocks of white space containing information of absolutely no value to me whatsoever, do I need to close my stores?" (Message #6)

eBay response: "Unfortunately, the question you're asking isn't as simple as providing a yes or no answer." (Message #9)

3) New way of displaying sales data that is incompatible with business standards:

- Sales totals are no longer displayed by calendar month (which is also inconsistent with the way eBay presents invoices).

- Sales totals include shipping costs. ("Shipping is an EXPENSE column, not a SALES column.")

(Message #16)

eBay response: "I'm not 100% sure of what's on the Seller Hub team's road map or their priorities at the moment but I do know we've shared this feedback in the past." (Message #23)

4) Growth Tab is not helpful.
"Have you actually looked at what the Growth tab currently recommends? It's worthless. I have multiple items where my price is the lowest including shipping and it states that I'm 100% less likely to sell than others. Other times it either finds no listing or different items to compare to when there are dozens of the same item on the site. The Growth pages are still not ready for prime time, why would anyone use them?"

eBay response: "In using the Growth tab myself, I have found listings that needed updated in comparison to my competitors' listings. The info provided there may not apply to your listings 100% of the time and the suggestions aren't required to be implemented."

5) Problem with the way it displays Unsold listings
"Can I please have my old unsolds page back?" (The seller didn't get specific, but there are numerous reports from sellers who find it difficult to isolate unsold listings that need to be relisted.) (Message #22)

6) Fees are not provided alongside order details. (And no place to enter costs.)
"Is there any chance that seller fees might be added to the sellers side of order details? My biggest dissatisfaction with the seller hub was getting out of it to get my fees. Since eBay doesn't have a simple fee schedule and I sometimes incur other fees - it would be great if I didn't have to keep leaving order details to get my fees.

"I'd also love to be able to have somewhere in a listing to put in my price so I would have something to refer to when pricing or having sales." (Message #34)

eBay response: "I can certainly see where you're coming from and how this would make things easier. I'm not sure what our options would be to add the fees to Order Details since billing is done separately, though."

7a) Usability: can't read the entire listing on Unsold page:
"Hate new Unsold page: each listing way too large, only three fit on the screen at once, and I have to reduce the print size to microscopic to get the whole listing on one line." (Message #37)

7b) Can't download monthly Active/Sold/Unsold pages
"I keep records by downloading the Active, Sold, Unsold pages at the end of each month Can't do that anymore." (Message #37)

8) No way to save customization settings:
"As far as being able to "customise" the Seller Hub pages, you should be aware that eBay has a HISTORY of suddenly defaulting customised pages (by the seller) to what  eBay thinks it should be. For example, this is an ongoing issue with the bulk editor. No matter how many times you customise it to the columns YOU want to see, time after time you go to the page only to be confronted with eBay's "defaults" yet again. Can you assure us that if we put the time and effort into customising the Hub to be what we want, eBay will not suddenly reset it to the defaults again?" (Message #20)

eBay response: "It is not our intention to change any of the customizations you make to Seller Hub - we've heard from many sellers that once they customized their display that Seller Hub became a great asset to them. Barring any unforseen issues, these changes should stay the same." (Message #24)

Seller response: "Is there any way a seller can SAVE the customized page, on their own computers or to cloud storage, so it can be restored if eBay decides to change it back to the default?"

eBay response: "Saving this offline at the moment is not an available option but I think it is a great suggestion to share via the "Comments?" link in Seller Hub. As mentioned in this thread, the Seller Hub team actively reviews these submissions as they develop and enhance the Seller Hub."

9) No way to see total global sales:
"I don't have America or Canada in Seller Hub country drop down list. Also I need a global option so I can review my total sales 24 hours, 7 days, 30 days... for my total global sales. I need to know exactly what my total is not per country." (Message #32 in the Sept. 27th weekly chat session)

eBay response: "Thanks for the feedback, we'll share this with the Seller Hub team. You can also share feedback like this through the 'Comments?' link on the Seller Hub pages as well. As for your country drop downs, it should only be specific to the site you're registered on, i.e. UK in your case." (Message #65)

You can visit the Seller Hub discussion board on eBay to read additional seller feedback - let us know what you think after a few weeks of using Seller Hub.

Perminate Link for The Real Problem with eBay Seller Hub   The Real Problem with eBay Seller Hub

by: eBay Shill Buster This user has validated their user name.

Sat Sep 30 00:29:06 2017

Sellers Hub is the biggest disgrace and folly that Devin is responsible for, it is an interface designed to sell value added products like Promoted Listings, eBay stores and has ZERO value to eBay sellers.

Devin is even ruining MyeBay by redesigning pages and trying to get sellers to opt in to that trash, Devin should have followed Hal Lawton out the door because it is just a matter of time now that he will be removed from the building, he has done enough damage to eBay and does not have the support in the building he thinks he has, we know sellers don't have his back.

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Sat Sep 30 06:32:11 2017

Ebay :
Where one of my all time favorite categories has plummeted  from a high of over 8,000, to EIGHT this week.....
Ebay ? NO THANKS.

by: FeelingFroggy This user has validated their user name.

Sat Sep 30 06:43:59 2017

Gesh not sure why anyone can't get out of seller hell. Fleecebay put us in and we just took ourselves out. If you need to know how to do it just google opt out of seller hub.

It doesn't take a brain surgeon to get out of it. Whining won't do it.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Sat Sep 30 06:47:54 2017

I've OPTED out of seller hub on both of my accounts.

It was unworkable for me and the way I list items on eBay.

by: maxmad This user has validated their user name.

Sat Sep 30 07:20:22 2017

We opted out too, by cancelling our store subscription,
Problem solved

This user has validated their user name. by: blueribbon1844

Sat Sep 30 08:10:29 2017

I opted out. I also do not like the unsold items page. Ebay has always required extra clicks and pages that other sites make one page and simple.

by: Volvo351 This user has validated their user name.

Sat Sep 30 08:49:49 2017

Oh, and this choice nugget from the Ivory Tower: "eBay response: "I can certainly see where you're coming from [they probably don't!] and how this would make things easier...." IOW, another damning admission that the whole PoS was pooped out [fittingly, in India, of course!] with ZERO consideration for sellers' real-world business requirements. So, they'll keep 'fixing' it, inevitably breaking a few things that actually DO work along the way! - while the overpaid ex-member of their [mis-]management team proceeds to torpedo some OTHER organization. It's what these Bozo's do, and they get away with it b/c the BoD is asleep at the wheel.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Sat Sep 30 09:40:26 2017

@Volvo351

If you look at eBay from the BoD view you would see rising revenues, rising profits & a rising stock price over the last 20 years.

It's full steam ahead from where they sit. . .

by: eBay Shill Buster This user has validated their user name.

Sat Sep 30 10:46:13 2017

Forcing customers into what they don't want will not work, but that is the entire business plan of eBay which will lead to eBay becoming the next Yahoo, I think sellers already see it happening.

Sellers do not want Sellers Hub, they do not want to buy Promoted Listings, they are closing their stores thinking that is one way to get out of Sellers Hub, yet Devin is still forcing Sellers Hub the interface he designed to sell Promoted Listings, Store Subscriptions and other value added products to eBay sellers.

Devin has even ruined the old line My eBay interface taking away features to try to induce sellers to opt in to his albatross Sellers Hub,  now eBay is even working to ruin My eBay further by changing the lay out  with new Beta pages.

It appears the only way to end this cycle is for Devin to be fired before he completely bankrupts the eBay marketplace.

by: maxmad This user has validated their user name.

Sat Sep 30 11:01:06 2017

Yes the foreign coders may be good and cheap at programming, but they sure know how to re-arrange stuff to absolutely piss off the customer , the savings in cheap labor is not worth it, when compared to the loss in business for the corporation

And it's not just ebay it's many other companies doing the same.

by: eBay Shill Buster This user has validated their user name.

Sat Sep 30 11:19:12 2017

Devin said there would be 'a lot of pain' for sellers while he navigates us into the 'new eBay', but I think it is just a matter of time now when he feels the pain of shooting himself in the foot with his kooky Sellers Hub and Promoted Listings scams that are a lingering cancer upon the entire marketplace.

by: dander This user has validated their user name.

Sat Sep 30 12:36:29 2017

I don't like the changes on ebay anymore than I do on other platforms like google, and Yahoo. Its time to face the music that these pages are going to be the 21st century version of a car. They will get updated and freshened and its going to be a learning curve for all of us. Its frustrating and takes time away from my business. But lame questions and low ball offers are just as bad. Its the cost of doing business.

by: eBay Shill Buster This user has validated their user name.

Sat Sep 30 14:08:28 2017

Go back to Devin's impersonation of Steve Jobs in his speech at eBay Open where he was telling us all 'how important Sellers Hub is to the future of eBay and the new experience he is creating.

Important to who is the question?

Devin thinks Seller Hub is important because he had the lame brain idea of rounding up sellers into that interface so he could sell Promoted Listings. Store Subscriptions, value added marketing tools and so on.

Devin wants you to see your underperforming listings in Sellers Hub so you can click on Promoted Listings to 'improve the performance' of your underperforming listings that are underperforming in the first place because he has ruined the marketplace.

Great closed loop lunacy system Devin has developed, this new eBay experience is going to drive sellers straight to Walmart, Amazon, Pricefalls.com, Shopify and Bigcommerce.

What a flop the last two CEO's are, no wonder the marketplace is dead.

by: eBay Shill Buster This user has validated their user name.

Sat Sep 30 14:21:31 2017

The real problem with Sellers Hub is sellers hate it, and it increases their bad will toward the bumbling CEO, eBay needs change at the very top of the company, eBay does not need Seller Hub.

just-ONE-product-a-PROCESS-an-it-s/m-p/27554595#M14960

This user has validated their user name. by: BuildingMyOwnSite

Sat Sep 30 15:43:13 2017

After reading this, I can't tell you how HAPPY & WONDERFUL I feel..... (  being GONE!  )

There's only two possible reasons for this kind of EXTENSIVELY screwed up crap.
1) Low level employees/coders have responsibility they should NOT HAVE.
2) Management is insane.  Among all the rest of the garbage, no sales by calendar month?  Adding shipping costs into sales?  Only possible reason for that is to drive all of us crazy, that have to report income & expenses on a tax return here in the U.S.
And uh.... Duh, 3) Guess I  forgot about the Etsy style shift from small U.S. sellers, to giant Asian sellers, and Mega Stores.   Say Ebay, how's that workin' out for you & Toys R Us anyway?  Now it all makes sense.

I don't believe that Ebay actively tries to get the average small seller to quit.  I do believe they don't care squat about us, and that we are NOT part of the Lions Share of Devin's New Ebay.  We're really just a pain in the ass to be discussed in meetings while they build a house of cards from Asian Sellers, Poorly run American corporations, and unjustified salaries and bonuses.  Shows ya how dumb Wall Street really is.

by: ebayout This user has validated their user name.

Sat Sep 30 16:26:13 2017

I've labored through every ebay change since 1998...it's not coincidental that it officially quit being fun concurrently with the logo change from whimsical to flat line. I've got a marketing degree that's older than most posters on here, but there's one business axiom which I'm sure is unique to ebay..."if we raise fees, our profits will increase." That attitude, and the now unveiling of Seller Hub, will drive me off the boards after I liquidate my current inventory. I await the September revenue figures...post Seller Hub...almost as much as I do Christmas...maybe a tad more.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Sat Sep 30 16:45:59 2017

As fundamentally and irrevocably flawed as Seller Flub is, what alarms me even more is Wall Street's total lack of comprehension and insight not only into the totality of ebafia itself but these nearly irrelevant observations of what they regard as Flub's principal problems.

So what we have is a tone deaf group of third rate executives with little to no ecommerce experience being evaluated by 'analysts' of questionable analytical ability who are obviously unfamiliar with the actual ebafia selling experience.

All while ebafia stock continues to languish in the 30s bolstered by clueless mutual fund managers pushing a stock that's never paid a penny in dividends and produces little ROI.

Unless and until Wall Street targets and exposes ebafia's REAL problems, there is little incentive for ebafia to shape up.

by: eBay Shill Buster This user has validated their user name.

Sat Sep 30 16:51:28 2017

Ming, Sellers Hub is going to show you that your items are underperforming the market and show you ways to 'improve perfromance'........

Click Here to Subscribe to an eBay Store

Click Here to add Promoted Listings

Click Here to by this marketing intelligence

Devin is looking to help you Ming, you just are not playing along.....

by: ebayout This user has validated their user name.

Sat Sep 30 17:10:18 2017

I've labored through every ebay change since 1998...it's not coincidental that it officially quit being fun concurrently with the logo change from whimsical to flat line. I've got a marketing degree that's older than most posters on here, but there's one business axiom which I'm sure is unique to ebay and we were never taught..."if we raise fees, our profits will increase." That attitude had me on the brink...Seller Hub was the final push. I'll be elsewhere after Christmas.

by: ebayout This user has validated their user name.

Sat Sep 30 17:11:41 2017