Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Wed Aug 30 2017 21:07:18

eBay Says Some Sellers Are Stuck with Seller Hub

eBay migrated sellers to the new Seller Hub selling portal last week without warning them the change was imminent. We expected apologies about how the company had rolled out the change along with clarification, given the avalanche of questions, but none came.

eBay did hold its scheduled chat session on Wednesday afternoon to answer questions, however. One of the most frequent comments we heard over the past week was that the new interface was overwhelming and made completing tasks more time-consuming. During the thread, a moderator said eBay was working on making the overview page more intuitive over the upcoming months.

A moderator also pointed to the new benefits of Seller Hub: "It has restocking guidance, pricing guidance, inventory guidance, traffic/conversion data, and more. We've also added new features to the Orders tab."

But eBay also took away certain abilities - for instance, a seller asked during the session, "Do you think we may get back Store Category Totals on sales. I sell in multiple categories and I am not able to get dollar amount of total sales for 90 days."

A moderator thanked the seller for the feedback. and said eBay would "take the feature into consideration for a future release."

The seller's response: "NEXT YEAR?!? You took away a valuable feature, and are thinking of maybe, possibly, unless something seems more important, restoring it next year?"

Sellers had a number of other suggestions, which were met with thanks and a note that eBay would consider adding them in a future release.

One frequent question we saw over the past week was, how do we opt out of Seller Hub?

There was a lot of time devoted to the issue of which sellers were locked in to Seller Hub. An eBay moderator explained, "All new business sellers will be opted in to Seller Hub. It is the tool for business sellers and store owners. Consumer sellers will still use My eBay."

Here's how you can see how eBay classifies you:

"If you hover over your name in the top left corner of an eBay page (above the eBay logo), you can click on "account settings".  From there, click on "personal information" in the left navigation. Then, you'll see "account type" will either say individual or business."

When a seller asked, "How do we get back to the original My eBay? The one with a single screen for ALL SELLING, not separate screens. As I mentioned in my original post, which has been ignored, the "switch to classic view" link does not work!"

An eBay moderator replied: "Seller Hub is now the only tool for business and professional sellers. The other tools will not be actively supported. Only consumer sellers who do not have a store, and do not have a selling manager/selling manager pro subscription can use My eBay."

At one point, a moderator appealed to sellers to give Seller Hub a chance and offered a tip, writing, "Seller Hub is where we'll be investing all of our future product enhancements. It may take a little time to get used to the new UI (User Interface), but it really does have great features that can help you grow your business. Please be sure to check out the "customize" button at the top to rearrange the overview page to see only what you want to see."

Additional information that came out of the chat session:

- eBay has plans to improve the data in Seller Hub next year, beyond just usability improvements. ("We are developing that roadmap now, so I can't give you all the details, but we know there are gaps that we'd like to fill.")

- "Most software companies are moving to the cloud. eBay is also moving that direction as well. It is still undetermined if we'll have the exact functionality that turbolister has today, but I know we're working on ensuring that the key features of turbolister are brought into our new tools."

And some comments from sellers:

- "All the content that I could quickly scan on one page (e.g. pending payments, paid/ready-to-ship, scheduled, active, sold) now requires multiple interactions."

- "Below is a screenshot I took of the Seller Hub message board about an hour ago. Clearly many in the community, including myself, are VERY UNHAPPY with being forced to use this software and most aren't being at all critical with the current software. My question is whether or not you are planning on continuing the rollout of Seller Hub, despite that many in the community view it as inefficient, incomplete, and not as good as the old software? My second question is how you justify this position to those in the community who like the old software and feel the new software will impact their businesses negatively."

eBay moderators passed on addressing those particular comments and questions. You can read the full chat session on this page of the eBay discussion boards.

Perminate Link for eBay Says Some Sellers Are Stuck with Seller Hub   eBay Says Some Sellers Are Stuck with Seller Hub

by: sellerchick This user has validated their user name.

Wed Aug 30 21:31:20 2017

I like Seller Hub because you can customize the heck out of it with your favorite links like reporting buyers, blocking bidders, anything you want. The alerts are great too....I'm a fan (ducks head to dodge arrows, bricks, and stones).....

by: Bob V. This user has validated their user name.

Wed Aug 30 21:44:05 2017

I agree with sellerchick.  I've been using Seller Hub since it was first available in beta and like it a lot.  You can easily customize the screen layout and have your own menu of shortcuts.  There may be a bit of a learning curve as there always is with new interfaces, but overall I like it.  I have some serious issues with eBay, but Seller Hub isn't one of them.

by: eebart This user has validated their user name.

Wed Aug 30 23:36:11 2017

Been selling on ebay for 20 years, and having 3 eBay accounts, I find the ability to customize the Hub for each account a great feature. Almost everything I need to know or act upon is in one place. It took a few weeks to adjust to it, but now I think it has saved me a lot of time, and time is money, especially when you are selling on consignment. This is one change eBay has made that makes selling a bit easier. Too bad so many other changes have done the reverse.

by: Jester This user has validated their user name.

Wed Aug 30 23:58:15 2017

People want to make a big deal out of small changes. While somethings are nice to have they are not essential to your business of selling on eBay. If your going to whine make it over something major. There are still some of those around.

This user has validated their user name. by: LasVagueness

Thu Aug 31 00:11:50 2017

Odd man out here but I wouldn't mind reformatting eBay back to Windows XP days.

by: eBay Shill Buster This user has validated their user name.

Thu Aug 31 00:15:47 2017

Only morons refuse to listen to their customers, eBay is not a world class marketing organization, we all know this to be the case already since they are too stupid to spend on Google to produce traffic for the marketplace.

Now they want to force the NEW COKE on people who will simply buy Pepsi.

Top management needs to be fired by the Board of Directors.

by: rosachs This user has validated their user name.

Thu Aug 31 01:28:13 2017

If you don't like Seller Hub, do what I did years ago -- move your business off the eBay pages and onto your own computer with a desktop app like SixBit eCommerce Solution.  I manage all my selling IDs - my inventory & pictures, post, monitor sales, handle shipping, and even leave feedback and answer questions... all from one desktop app.  I didn't even realize eBay had migrated one of my sellingIDs for several weeks... I just don't use the site that way very often.

True, it's not free.  But if free means hard to use, not helpful, and slow, what are you spending in time?  So make a true statement -- find a third party app (I recommend SixBit, but I've been using it and it's predecessors for a very long time) that can manage your eBay-facing activities in a manner that works for you, not the other way around.  Don't be Millennialed by eBay -- do things your way!

This user has validated their user name. by: cfrphoto

Thu Aug 31 01:37:49 2017

After several sudden changes and filling out feedback forms, the My eBay All Selling page came back. Navigation on the replacement page seems to maximize the number of mouse clicks and different windows that must be opened. Unfortunately, eBay does not seem to have any concept of orders containing multiple sold listings. The orders page should collapse multiple listings into orders with a pop up overlay or folding list to expand order details and avoid opening additional windows to process orders.

Because the SixBit eCommerce solution is so much better than eBay web pages for processing orders, I don't frequent the sold eBay listings page very often. Opening or refreshing the My eBay or some variant page in the old format is still the fastest way to track active auctions. I wish that eBay would stop hijacking page names effectively requiring new browser favorites settings once the old page is found again.

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Aug 31 06:40:23 2017

I have no problem with seller hub. Again, I think the old timers are having "change" issues.

by: Barbbie This user has validated their user name.

Thu Aug 31 08:20:13 2017

Strangely one of my accounts which had seller hub since opening no longer has it and is regular seller manager now. It worked fine for me there on the little account where I never had more than 2 sales a day and under 50 items listed.
However, it does not work for an account with thousands of listings and tens of sales a day. It is far tooooo slow and it brings you back to a different screen after each interaction does not hold search info and cannot print inventory as seller pro did.  It is not all bad, but the bells and whistles I need are not there, functionality is needed when you have a real business.  If you look closely at the supposed sales stats, they are only on the category that you have the most items listed so there really is no true picture there.
I paid for seller pro and do not appreciate having an actual benefit I had taken away. Since I pay for an anchor store this is very expensive and I do not want to have to purchase anything else.

by: JohnGermaine This user has validated their user name.

Thu Aug 31 10:06:37 2017

"Fixing" things that are not broken is STUPID!  A waste of the money we fork over to them!!  Instead of fixing things that need fixed - they created a new platform for NO GOOD REASON!  A waste of money in the long run. I use none of the junk on the landing page they created, none!!!  I want to sell and get money, this ridiculous "growth" crap that they push in school and "branding" is absurd. I am not a brand, I am a small seller who uses a platform that has stupid people as leaders. Pepsi is a brand, Levi's is a brand, but my little store will NEVER be a brand and I know that.

The glitch that has thrown us onto the last page IS something that is worth them spending time and money on and the other glitch that has existed since I started selling of our items NOT moving to the Unsold file STILL exists.  Sometimes I find months later that something has disappeared because it did not move to that list.  This is like changing the letterhead every time a new manager comes on board - it fixes NOTHING that is wrong, it fixes NOTHING.

by: spooky This user has validated their user name.

Thu Aug 31 10:20:32 2017

I can use SH but I do not prefer it over the past incarnations. Main reason is simply too much non-needed info. This plays to what I have been saying for years - eBay lumps all sellers in one big basket. SH might be great for the seller who is churning out cell phone charges or new sunglasses but it does not really work for the classic seller of vintage, antique and out of production items. I wish eBay would split into 2 parts - new widgets type sellers and vintage antique collectible sellers.

by: Barbbie This user has validated their user name.

Thu Aug 31 10:30:27 2017

That growth / product price improvements thing is stupid.
Several things I sell out of almost as soon as they come in say they are 100% not going to sell and others that I almost never sell have the #1 item as a dropshipper with under 90% feedback that I am 7 cents more than. Ok, so for kicks I change the price 8 cents lower, let's see if it sells.
On the other hand, in my "free 50 item account" I got a 30 dollar promoted listings coupon, 2 days ago I put everything on the promo except the only 2 things that sell as I have not had a sale there in weeks. yesterday I got a sale...not on the promo listings but on the one thing I always sell. So that did absolutely zero.

by: cillianred This user has validated their user name.

Thu Aug 31 11:42:16 2017

After reading over the last few days all of the negative comments about Seller Hub, I dreaded it.  I truly expected it to be a total disaster and felt lucky that I hadn't been migrated over yet.

Woke up this morning and there it was. To my surprise (again, based on all the negative comments), it really wasn't that bad at all!!  I found everything I needed in 2 minutes or less and was able to quickly navigate around. So I have to do a couple more clicks. Inconvenient? Maybe, but certainly not the end of the world as we know it.

Here's one eBay ''old-timer'' who really doesn't understand what all the fuss is about.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Thu Aug 31 12:15:19 2017

From out of the woodwork...

by: val2525 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Aug 31 12:42:35 2017

I have no problem overall with the new seller hub.

What I do have a problem with is not being able to set it to show sales this month.  I don't want the "last 30 days", I want the current month.  I'd also like to see sales by store category.

by: mamie14425 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Aug 31 12:43:51 2017

I called ebay and told them that I did not like Seller Hub.....and as a longtime (14yr) seller I wanted to revert back to Selling Manager Pro. ...and they did.....

by: maxmad This user has validated their user name.

Thu Aug 31 12:45:15 2017

Ming the Merciless,,,

too funny, and in some way very disturbing,  but a very true statement

by: eBay Shill Buster This user has validated their user name.

Thu Aug 31 13:31:04 2017

eBay's top management is moronic for sure, read this post on their forums, it is obvious that as always top management has their heads in the sand and utter embarrassment means nothing anymore to them, just another day for the dysfunctional losers running eBay.

-HUB-Will-Never-Use-The-HUB/m-p/27424262#M1033817

Don't
Need the HUB, Don't Want The HUB, Will Never Use The HUB, Never Asked For The HUB

Will never understand this OBSESSION with eBay to force help on us we never asked for or needed.  Actually, in many cases KILLS sales.

I believe the HUB'S only purpose is to CONTROL sellers and to SPY on sellers.

To know what we are listing, and how often, the same item.  Even though, with the limited time that an item is visible to the world, it often takes many relisting before that ONE buyer sees it, that wants it.  Especially with collectibles.

I am headed for my 20th anniversary on eBay and have watched Manager after Manager make unasked for, unwanted, and unnecessarily change after change, only to see sales go down down down as a result.

They seem to see this Universal Seller and all can be put in the same box.

If FORCED to use the HUB, it's Bye Bye eBay.  Already listing on other sites, most of which have no listing fee and don't care how many times you list the same thing.  Are as helpful as eBay was at the beginning (without all the crashes).

In trying to be another Amazon, eBay will drive all the sellers to Amazon.

Then what will all those BELOVED buyers do?  Will they stay with eBay, or do what they have always done, follow the SELLERS?

by: eBay Shill Buster This user has validated their user name.

Thu Aug 31 13:51:03 2017

Sellers are not stuck with Sellers Hub, check out another marketplace that eBay sellers can list on right now !!!