Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Thu Aug 24 2017 17:19:37

Welcome to eBay Seller Hub - or Seller Hell?

On August 17, eBay posted a notice in a sub-category of its community boards informing participants that it had begun moving all business and professional sellers to the eBay Seller Hub. "With this change, you'll still have access to the selling benefits you did before, but the interface will be different."

But eBay never posted the announcement on the Seller Announcement Board.

Yesterday, the eBay boards exploded with complaints when sellers logged in to their My eBay page only to find themselves in unfamiliar territory.

This is no mild change - the complaints from sellers are as bitter as they get. It's confusing, it takes longer to accomplish tasks, it's mandatory, and came as a surprise, were among the complaints.

One seller's reaction:

"eBay keeps changing things that really do not matter. Seller Hub offers no improvements over Selling Manager Pro. Not a single one. It is way overcrowded and takes more work to navigate and use and I spend more time doing my work now than before. I've been an eBay seller since 1998 (there are probably no eBay employees left from then) and I've put up with a bunch of screwed up eBay changes. This one is one of the worst."

Readers weighed in on the change on the Ecommerce EKG board - one seller said they tried calling eBay customer service to try to opt-out: "Tried calling multiple times. Phone rings endlessly and disconnects - absolutely stunning. It appears Hal Lawton took the keys to eBay customer support with him - now we will try calling Macy's tech support for assistance!"

The reference was to the departure of the head of eBay Marketplaces Hal Lawton who left abruptly this month after serving two years at the company, having been recruited by eBay CEO Devin Wenig.

Presumably people trying to contact eBay over other concerns are equally frustrated by the inability to reach customer service.

During the eBay Open seller conference in July, eBay executives brought up a seller to the stage who raved about the insight he was able to get from using Seller Hub. We republished a 411 article about the presentation today on Newsflash, which you can read here.

The benefits of Seller Hub may be there, but eBay hasn't done a good job of explaining them, nor does it appear that it made the interface user-friendly to start.

As experienced eBay sellers, what do you think?

Perminate Link for Welcome to eBay Seller Hub - or Seller Hell?   Welcome to eBay Seller Hub - or Seller Hell?

This user has validated their user name. by: RKTOYS

Thu Aug 24 17:35:26 2017

It's just typical of software these days.  Brainless executives plus incompetent Indian developers equals clusterfuck every single time.  The real WTF is that anything at all still works.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Thu Aug 24 17:38:08 2017

Is this Hal Lawton's last middle finger to sellers?

There are no words do describe how much I HATE this company.

Forced, no warning.  This company is THE MOST POORLY RUN COMPANY IN THE WORLD!!!!!

by: eBay Shill Buster This user has validated their user name.

Thu Aug 24 17:42:32 2017

Sellers Hub is going to ruin eBay turning it into the next Yahoo just like when Yahoo revamped their email which was just fine in the first place, when Yahoo started making changes to their email that was the beginning of the end of the company because users quit using it when they added ads to the interface.

Sort of like eBay is dying because of their promoted listing ads and the banner ads they are running for insurance companies on the home page, Devin is not the man to lead this company, he is the CEO who is destroying eBay putting the finishing touches on the job Donahoe started and the dude just can't see it because he is highly delusional with all his AI and new technology ideas.

Hell they can't even master the current technology they have running.

by: DingDong This user has validated their user name.

Thu Aug 24 17:45:43 2017

I used it and it takes so much time and more clicks to get to day to day functions. Bonanza did the same thing with all the layers and extra clicking.

I did use it and couldn't "Opt Out" until another sale.
When I went to the selling page, top right showed the "Opt Out" button.

I guess they wouldn't let people to "Opt Out" until you have another sale just to try the format. ? ? ?

by: TrickyMick This user has validated their user name.

Thu Aug 24 17:45:50 2017

I was switched over this AM to the "S*&% Hub" as I like to call it, it is better than it was when they rolled it out a year ago... it still sucks, takes me longer to make my listings, lots of extra clicks, lots of extra white space, lots of scrolling. The listing performance table is a joke as well as the skewed charts. I jacked up my mouse scroll wheel speed so high to speed it up listing on the hub...  when I switch back to any other site but Ebay It's a pain.  Maybe that's why Hal jumped ship.... maybe someone was pushing for this mandatory implementation of S@#^ hub.

Or maybe Hal left... because they wanted to talk about things on the golf coarse... and he didn't want to mix work and pleasure. One day the truth will rise to the top.

by: eBay Shill Buster This user has validated their user name.

Thu Aug 24 17:48:19 2017

Hal left because Devin is a joke of a manager, so is Hal Lawton though, put both of them together and you have the flop that is today's eBay with a Sellers Hub that was designed to sell PROMOTED LISTINGS to sellers.

Devin is officially a moron and needs to be fired by the Board of Directors !!!!!

by: munson68 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Aug 24 17:50:00 2017

2 days trying to navigate and make user friendly for me to no avail. I have spent at least 8 hours working on this and not working on selling anything. I have been there on Ebay for 18 years and my opinion is this is the biggest F-Up I have seen. I don't see this change with ANY benefit to the way I do things and sounds like also with many others. Between the phase put of Turbo lister and having to use Seller Hub I am sitting down with my wife tonight to determine our next move. May stay and sell a little here but she is excited about trying our own site to sell on. As a seller with over 13,000 items to manage it just doesn't help us at all. Not being on Ebay selling as much will also mean not as much browsing and buying either. I really don't get,who made this program?Not from someone who sells alot on the site I assume.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Thu Aug 24 17:52:37 2017

eBay Customer Service just got me my old page back.....we shall see how long this lasts.   I will give the CSR credit (after a very long waiting queue) for resolving this issue once I actually got her on the telephone.

by: eBay Shill Buster This user has validated their user name.

Thu Aug 24 17:53:14 2017

Sellers Hub was the brainchild of Hal Lawton and was a way for the corrupt clowns to round up sellers into one interface where they could sell everyone on their promoted listings criminal enterprise.

Devin has to be fired, this guy is Captain Smith sailing into the cold Atlantic.

by: munson68 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Aug 24 17:58:35 2017

ALSO..... I starting watching the how to use video for Sell Hub  and the narrator kept saying they made changes based on recommendations from sellers like you?! I ask which ones of yous gave them the advice for this marvelous product?

by: mamie14425 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Aug 24 17:59:48 2017

We awoke to Seller Hub yesterday and we hate everything about it.  We called eBay today and asked that they switch us back to Selling Manager Pro.....AND THEY DID!!  eBay rep said they have been inundated with complaints.  Now we wait and see if eBay will sneak a switch-a-roo and put us back to Seller Hub.....

by: eBay Shill Buster This user has validated their user name.

Thu Aug 24 18:00:34 2017

Just imagine the language that would be posted here if Ina allowed extreme cussing on this forum, out of respect for her we should try to control ourselves.

by: Sierra This user has validated their user name.

Thu Aug 24 18:52:43 2017

I just went thru something similar with Etsy, when they changed their FUNCTIONAL and easy to use Stats page to some f'd up version of Stats On Steroids. Reportedly, there are some sellers who like the new Stats, but I'd be willing to bet a $5 coffee that MOST Etsy sellers would prefer having the OLD Stats back ... yesterday!

On eBay, I've been switching back and forth between Seller Hub and its predecessor for more than a year. I decided to list something yesterday and couldn't find any way to switch back. It DEFINITELY takes more clicks to find things, and they're not where they should be, IMHO. For the record, I've sold on eBay since 1998.

I've watched in pain for several years as Etsy, eBay, and Amazon try the same things each other has tried and, in some cases, have realized didn't work (but the other site seems to think it'll work for them?!).

How does that saying go .. if it ain't broke ... (meanwhile there's stuff on all 3 of these sites that IS broke and SHOULD be fixed!).

by: sellerchick This user has validated their user name.

Thu Aug 24 20:07:24 2017

Wasn't this supposed to be a "benefit" of an anchor store subscription? So much for my feeling of exclusivity, haha. I feel like I've been using it a long time, and I actually have been able to tweak it to work just fine. I like the customization and I have created custom links to frequently used features like blocking buyers. So I like it.  I do agree that trying to list a single item is hard, but I have been using File Exchange for over 2 years to create listings anyway.

by: eBay Shill Buster This user has validated their user name.

Thu Aug 24 20:08:57 2017

LOL, eBay is being embarrassed by all the Anti Seller Hub threads on the seller forum so Alan is moving them to the doomed Sellers Hub forums so the public will never see them as no one even reads that dead forum.

Devin, you are an embarrassment to all eBay sellers worldwide, how you got through law school is the miracle of the ages, all this time I thought you had to be brilliant to get a law degree.

If you are in fact intelligent, maybe you should start demonstrating that to eBay sellers instead of trying to jam ill advised and conceived ideas down our throats causing more hate to flow toward eBay than you already have.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ina

Thu Aug 24 21:03:57 2017

SellerChick, any advice you can share on how sellers could make Seller Hub more user-friendly? How long did it take you to get it to your liking?

by: eBay Shill Buster This user has validated their user name.

Thu Aug 24 21:09:33 2017

There is no use for Sellers Hub for the average eBay seller when everything a seller needs is on one page in MyeBay.

eBay improvements are meant to benefit eBay, Seller Hub is Hal Lawton and Devin's criminal enterprise to round up sellers into an interface where they can sell the ignorant casino ads commonly called promoted listings.

Sellers Hub is nothing more than a scam to make eBay more money and one to waste sellers time and money.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Thu Aug 24 21:45:06 2017

I don't like it one bit for all the reasons everyone has already mentioned. I've "opted" back to Selling Manager Pro twice.

Seller Hub is a poorly disguised forum to induce sellers into paying a second layer of listing fees.

I've started messaging sellers with Promoted listings and telling them I would have bought their item had it not been a Promoted listing.

by: eBay Shill Buster This user has validated their user name.

Thu Aug 24 22:28:33 2017

What a criminal enterprise eBay has become under Devin.........

-seller/seller-hub.html#m22_tb_a1__4http://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/new-business-seller/seller-hub.html#m22_tb_a1__4Can
I opt out of Seller Hub?

Seller Hub is becoming the way for all business sellers to manage their selling on eBay. As of August 2017, sellers will no longer be able to opt out.

Can I opt out of Seller Hub?

by: eBay Shill Buster This user has validated their user name.

Thu Aug 24 23:34:56 2017

/27393521/page/2

Notice
the two main eBay shills chiming in at the end of the thread telling everyone how much they like Sellers Hub.

1 2 3 4 5  [Next Page]