Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Wed Aug 23 2017 14:50:17

eBay Says Google Security Change Will Scare Shoppers

eBay said Google's impending security change would "deter" shoppers, and it warned sellers today of changes it is making (and has been making) that impact their listings.

"Starting in October 2017, Google Chrome - the browser used by almost half of all eBay buyers - will begin displaying the message "Not Secure" in the address window when users visit standard HTTP pages, and HTTPS pages that include nonsecure HTTP content.

"eBay believes that the "Not Secure" message may deter shoppers from buying and impact your conversion rate. eBay is taking steps to make sure that your buyers won't see this message and can access your listings securely."

Some key takeaways from the announcement:

- If you want your listings to show the complete item description, you will need to remove HTTP content from your listings.

- eBay will email sellers who have listings that contain HTTP, starting August 28th

- eBay will begin using the HTTPS communications protocol for all listings starting in October.

- In the future, eBay will move all eBay store pages to HTTPS.

- Do not include contact info and links to off-eBay websites.

eBay had mentioned some changes coming as a result of the new HTTPS protocol as part of the Summer 2017 seller update - you can read the announcement on this page. But it wasn't clear to sellers that eBay would begin hiding item descriptions in seller listings.

Even when eBay began hiding descriptions as early as July, there was no explanation or reminder despite many questions, and eBay customer service reps seemed as confused as sellers about the practice.

There is a lot to confuse sellers; eBay recently banned active content from listings, and sellers may not realize the HTTPS security issue is a another issue with which they must deal.

And while many people think of its search engine when they think of Google, it's the Google Chrome browser that is making the security change that is prompting eBay's response - this is not simply a Search Engine Optimization issue.

Google's decision to roll out the change in October is troubling - it's peak holiday-shopping season, and scaring shoppers by displaying security warnings on sites that have yet to adapt couldn't come at a worse time of year.

The change to Google Chrome affects not just eBay, it applies to all sites on the Internet. Sellers who run their own ecommerce stores also face the prospect of lower sales as a result of the change to Chrome unless they've taken appropriate measures.

You can read more about the issue on the Google Security blog.

Perminate Link for eBay Says Google Security Change Will Scare Shoppers   eBay Says Google Security Change Will Scare Shoppers

by: eBay Shill Buster This user has validated their user name.

Wed Aug 23 15:00:28 2017

So sales on eBay will go from NOTHING to LESS THAN NOTHING...

At this point what do we have to lose ?

Devin has completely shattered the eBay marketplace, he should do the right thing and step down, there is no way a man who has done so much damage to eBay could ever repair or improve the marketplace, Devin has been at it a long time and eBay gets worse by the day.

by: Trying-My-Best This user has validated their user name.

Wed Aug 23 15:20:45 2017

It's time for Wenig to go.  Remember just a few years ago the MAJOR HACK on their site - that they kept quiet about for months?!  It affected millions of their buyers and sellers accounts.  Guess it was no big deal to them

EBay is an UNSECURED SITE.  AND ONCE AGAIN, GOOGLE HAS TO TEACH THEM A LESSON. good grief.

Clearly,  Wenig & his Executive Suite are just too busy counting their multi million $ salaries and could care less about their site, their sellers or buyers.

Shame on you Wenig.

This user has validated their user name. by: RKTOYS

Wed Aug 23 15:25:30 2017

The https push is a scam.  Not everything on the internet needs encrypted.  All this does is create yet another requirement for people hosting sites independently - flush more money on an SSL certificate - with no actual benefit to anybody but the middleman collecting this new fee.

by: FeelingFroggy This user has validated their user name.

Wed Aug 23 15:25:49 2017

Google scares me less than the morons running fleecebay. We no longer shop on Fleecebay as it is just to risky anymore.

by: mcposty This user has validated their user name.

Wed Aug 23 15:29:17 2017

Google is an evil empire. this should cause huge anti trust and lawsuits.

Google collecting mobeyond for ads from websites that get this message? Haha

But it's not nearly as bad as Firefox which will not even show the website.

Stupid.

by: eBay Shill Buster This user has validated their user name.

Wed Aug 23 15:29:53 2017

Trying-My-Best

Hackers are attacking sites like eBay 24/7/365 so when people wonder why eBay can't serve web pages this is why, DDoS flood attacks from China and Russia come in non-stop on large sites like eBay, that is why they were hacked last time and never even knew it until months later.

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Wed Aug 23 16:40:26 2017

Why is this only happening to EB and not Etsy or AMZ?  Maybe EB should sue Google?

by: Vigilant Eye On eBay This user has validated their user name.

Wed Aug 23 18:05:58 2017

Late to the party again?

Reputable sites use secure https: pages.

Google has been bumping up secure sites in search results for some time now.

Although it was a lot of work, my Bigcommerce store was modified to https: when I learned about the various security concerns and Google's initiative to do something about the ever growing problem.

Why would someone bother to sign into their user account, then elect to head to a bunch of unsecured site pages?

Here and elsewhere, there have been numerous discussions about the sheer quantity of unsecured pages on eBay.

Its about time eBay dealt with this well-known and ongoing issue.

by: TomH This user has validated their user name.

Wed Aug 23 21:11:30 2017

Actually RKTOYS  has it right. This nonsense that every page has to be https is a scam and another money grab by the what was once termed ''Do No Evil'' pos Google.

I am seldom on eBay's side in these types of things, but Google has been stepping out of their publicized area of expertise for now going on for years. Google is just as much a part of the evil empire as eBay.

by: thebobman This user has validated their user name.

Thu Aug 24 00:01:31 2017

>The https push is a scam.

Thats what I keep saying. My local newspaper website is fine as http, so is my personal website that hosts ebay images. Anything financial, sure, https away, but before I actually buy something on ebay, I don't care that it is only http.

Try going to Forbes.com on an older version of firefox - the whole site is just unaccessible

Secure Connection Failed

An error occurred during a connection to www.forbes.com.

Cannot communicate securely with peer: no common encryption algorithm(s).

(Error code: ssl_error_no_cypher_overlap)

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.
 Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem. Alternatively, use the command found in the help menu to report this broken site.

by: Tiffee Jasso This user has validated their user name.

Thu Aug 24 00:18:30 2017

I have said it before and I will say it again. Google has hurt ecommerce more than any other entity on the net. No one is watching and no one is listening. It killed 90% of book sales on Ebay in 2014 when it changed it SEO protocols and began charging for clicks. Anyone paying for clicks encourages this kind of flim flamming by all big ecommerce and search engine sites. Insist on paying per sale and not per click. Also insist Legislators make search engine honest and for everyone and not those who are paying them. Amazon is about the only one Google does not affect, and that is because it has its own search engine. Ebay only puts about half or less of its items into its search engine at any given time. I say that because half the time I have to go to Google to find what I want on Ebay. I imagine that is due to the fact they do not have enough servers to handle the traffic. Especially when half their search engine is focused on Chinese sellers.

by: Transferware Odds and Ends This user has validated their user name.

Thu Aug 24 05:02:54 2017

Seems the world is going to Hell in a hand basket, as my Grandmother used to say........Everything is getting worse by the day. Greed is taking over, has been for awhile and it continues on every venue. Etsy is no better, Greed and screw the little guy who is just trying to make ends meet and stay afloat.........To many companies all trying to have selling sites and Google is clearing trying to profit from it, not like they dont make enough money now...Sickening......

On another note......I dont shop to much on Ebay anymore, mainly because of the rude people, the slow shipping and careless packing, I get more items broken, then I get in whole........But the slow shipping is more of an issue with me. I use to buy everything and anything on Ebay, for the simple reason, I didnt have to go out of my house, waste gas and time. However when an Ebay seller takes your money, thru a sale and most of the time they hold onto your item until their good and ready to ship, making excuse all along, "Oh sorry, I only ship on Mon, Wed and Fri.," OR "Oh I was sick, my husband was sick", OR "Oh sorry time got away with me," It was always something....and I sit here and wait and wait and wait for my items, meanwhile they already got my money days ago, sometimes almost up to 10+ days ago, before I even see my item or tracking number. Ebay in my opinion, stinks and I only feel sorry for the 10% of the sellers that dont deserve all the BS that Ebay dishes out.....And to sell on there, HA....You couldn't pay me to ssell on Ebay, been there, done that.......There ridiculous with their fees....the fees to list are so complex and frustrating to understand, who would even bother.....Expensive isnt the word., they charge the seller more fees than any other site out their and they keep tacking on new fees...I know this, because I used to sell on Ebay until they got out of hand with their fees.....wasnt worth my time or energy to pay a company that amount of money. Fees to List, Fees to Renew, Fees based on the item and price your selling it for, and the worst, they actually charged you, fees for shipping, that takes the cake....How is it Right to charge the seller "fees to ship" an item to someone, that some is paying for the shipping, so Why in gods name would Ebay charge the seller to??? I make more money, Double dipping.....Sickening!!!!

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Thu Aug 24 05:48:48 2017

It's already happening to my eCommerce website.
Since I went Responsive AKA Gizmo Friendly.
I'm livid.
Sales are down over 80%. for the month.
Takes the wind right out of your Sales.
Good thing I have a HUGE talent pool to pull from.
I believe the online purchase thing will fade into the sunset.
If you open a Brick and Mortar store and call it "The Online Store", you'll rake it in.
Stock it with the things you currently can't get in stores locally.
Cover the spectrum : Powdered vitamins, autobody materials, drain unclogging things, Excellent Curtains and curtain rods of all dimensions, etc...
I know I prefer actually going to a real store....

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Thu Aug 24 05:51:00 2017

And don't forget the Excellent Lawn Sculptures and Ornaments  :o)

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Aug 24 07:55:33 2017

OT:  I just listed a coat in ebay.ca and it was so simple to do compared to ebay.us.  And get this -- you know that "mobile friendly test" we get in the Ebay.us description?  It doesn't exist in the ebay.ca site, which means it's automatically setup for mobile shopping.  I say - let's hire the Canadian technicians.  They seem to know how things should work.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Thu Aug 24 08:36:33 2017

I've "cleaned up" my last listing on eBay.  We just finished with the active content "busy work" cleanup.  No more.    No other site requires the maintenance that eBay does.  Remember when we all had to increase the size of our photos?  It NEVER stops.

Something tells me that if eBay was security compliant none of this would be pushed onto the sellers.

by: Barbbie This user has validated their user name.

Thu Aug 24 08:51:09 2017

@Transferware Odds and Ends
Read the feedback, it is there, use it. Do not buy from sellers who are new or sellers who are well known brands themselves. If the comments are about slow shipping or non delivery do not buy.
Most of the sellers I have purchased from on ebay are great.

by: epuise This user has validated their user name.

Thu Aug 24 10:32:10 2017

Read a seller's Feedback... it will tell you the kind of SERVICE you'll GET... stop shopping CHEAPEST ONLY...

by: funkygrrl This user has validated their user name.

Thu Aug 24 11:24:25 2017

Totally agree with vigilant eye.
Personally, if I go on a shopping site and I see that it is not HTTPS, I leave.

by: Whatever This user has validated their user name.

Thu Aug 24 11:51:05 2017

Ya'all missed it:
"eBay customer service reps seemed as confused as sellers"