Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Fri June 23 2017 11:51:04

eBay Active Content Deadline Looms for Sellers

eBay announced the date of its pending ban on active content. Sellers have until June 26, 2017, to strip their listings of JavaScript, Flash, plug-ins, and form actions.

According to the eBay announcement, active content such as JavaScript and Flash hinders mobile purchases, creates longer load times, and may be prone to security vulnerabilities. The latter point is the biggest motivator - we've run many stories about the vulnerabilities, as have other publications, including the BBC. The fact it has taken eBay this long to make the move shows the prevalence of active content on eBay.

eBay already disabled active content in listings for all European sites as of June 7th, and it set up a discussion board in the US staffed by the active content team.

How confident are you that you're listings are prepared for the June 26th deadline?

Perminate Link for eBay Active Content Deadline Looms for Sellers   eBay Active Content Deadline Looms for Sellers

This user has validated their user name. by: Bob

Fri Jun 23 12:32:41 2017

I'm not confident at all, and here is why:
In the Seller Hub under ''Selling Announcements'' There is a June 16th  Announcement that reads ''Get your Listings compliant with Active Content updates by June 26th, 2017''.

After I click on that announcement, I go to a page that shows ''Step 1 Identify'' Click ''Here'' it reads, and log into your account to see which of your listings contain active content''.

When I click on the ''here'' link, I get a page that reads ''You currently do not have any listings with active content''.

Then it shows Step 2 Remove.  ''Our help me fix it tool shows exactly what elements of your listing need to be revised''  To use it go to your active listings view in Seller Hub.

If I individually click to revise any of my listings, (except a few that I ran this process on) my listings show a message that says in effect, your listing has active content click here to fix it.   I look it over, I don't see any active content, I click on fix it, and it says in effect, your list is good and ready to go.

Now I'm confused.  Do I or do I not have any active content?  One part of eBay says I don't, another part says that I do.

Is this why sales are slow? Are they hiding listing that have ''active content'' I put that in quotes because now I wonder does eBay know what THEY mean by active content.

This user has validated their user name. by: Bob

Fri Jun 23 12:41:36 2017

I'd like to ask other eBay Sellers to go to their Active Listings on the Seller Hub, and click on revise on one or more of their items and see if they get the message that their item has Active Content.  It would be very interesting to see how many of us are having this situation.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Fri Jun 23 13:31:16 2017

Bob, I cleaned up all mine using their tool and I still have listings  that according to eBay, have active content. I got very little (or effective) assistance from the 3rd party template company we use.

I have had to literally go through every single listing, hit revise, and check to see if there is still active content.  Even though their tool stated I had cleaned it all up, apparently I had not according to their bots.  I tried using the bulk edit tool with the search and replace feature to no avail.

After over a week of very painstaking clean up I figure that I should be finished cleaning it up by the middle of next week.

by: FeelingFroggy This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jun 23 18:20:49 2017

Hey Ebay

Feel free to delete any of our auctions that might or might not have active content in them.

We will just move them to our web site. YOUR LOST NOT OURS.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Sat Jun 24 09:02:13 2017

Good for you FeelingFroggy. Good move. After the latest May update, we have seen another drastic reduction of visibility. We continue to build elsewhere.

eBay is all about big enterprise.  What is unethical though is that they still take small sellers' fees and give them no or limited visibility.  I really don't know how the Attorney General of the state of California isn't all over them.  User agreement or not, what they are doing is just wrong.

by: OnlyPollyPocket This user has validated their user name.

Sat Jun 24 18:32:33 2017

Bob, I am getting the same process that you are getting.  I have no idea if I do or do not have active content...guess we'll find out on Monday :(

by: Paul W This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 26 00:09:48 2017

Thanks to eBay user shipscript's active content removal tools all of my listings are free of active content.  Forget eBay's directions, use the tools provided by shipscript.

by: smallstuff This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 26 00:21:56 2017

I experienced the active content check when relisting a few auctions.  When I let eBay fix the listings it focused on images that would not display optimally on a mobile device.  This had nothing to do with active content (as I have none).  The listings were created in TurboLister, so I  just ignored the suggested changes.  Time will tell if it makes a difference.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Mon Jun 26 06:58:57 2017

Oh, for an update on my clean-up:  this weekend, I noticed that when I now click on the message that states that I have active content on my listing, and then move to  "click to fix", I am getting a message that states that there is no active content in the listing after I click to fix.  :(

BUFFOONS!

by: frustrated This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 26 07:45:56 2017

http://pages.ebay.com/sell/itemdescription/bestpractices.html CLICK here where it says click here. GO to the HTML part of the descirption MAKE SURE you remove the last part wheree it says inside of brackets. <>--END DESCRIPTION or your description WILL END -whatever is after that is gone

by: fifilapew This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 26 09:04:43 2017

I too used the ebay help link to remove active content.

What I found was that even if active content could not be seen on listing, it was still 'there'.

I literally deleted white space between my paragraphs and the last letter of each. I then retyped those last letters and added spacing again. Ran a test, and active content was finally removed.

I'm on a Mac using Chrome

This user has validated their user name. by: Don Wagner

Mon Jun 26 12:22:20 2017

Can't remove active content from some of my book listings as the error condition for listing books pops up - this error has been going on for like a year now and still not fixed. I could delete and re-add those particular books, but still taking a chance that even then, I will get an error.

by: Barbbie This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 26 13:10:34 2017

Mine all say I have active content same as day 1 when I went in and changed as many as I could and more since then. I may still have some but I have no idea. Last email they sent me included the same ones as before. When I go into individual listings they all say they need fixing.
Who knows?