Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Sun June 11 2017 15:41:46

Welcome to the New eBay Shopping Experience

On March 20th, eBay CEO Devin Wenig described changes that the marketplace was rolling out in a blog post called, "We're on the Edge of Something New." In it, he said:

"As we continue to evolve eBay's platform, we're also activating a sharper, more clearly differentiated brand, and more.

"A brand new, reimagined and highly personalized shopping experience; a fresh approach to our iconic brand; fast and guaranteed shipping time; buying with a "shopping concierge" right within your social networks - these are the hallmarks of the changes you will now begin to see on eBay.

"For the past 18 months, we've been working on an ambitious replatforming of eBay by leveraging new technology to redefine what online shopping means today."

Now that eBay has been rolling out these changes - including a new TV commercial, new home page, and newly designed pages, we'd like to know what you think.

One reader described to us her experience with the "eBay New Shopping Experience" over the weekend (something she said she hadn't previously encountered):

"When I did a search for an item I was looking for, the top of the search results pages reads, "Welcome to the new eBay Shopping Experience," and right under that in smaller letters, "If you prefer, just view search results" (the last bit being clickable). Then under that are three rows, Shop by Brand, Best Selling, and Hot This Week. Then under that is Results in (item name)."

In threads about the new shopping experience last month, a few sellers were skeptical, believing that eBay was using regular sellers' listings as bait to draw in shoppers, but then redirecting that traffic to brands and merchants favored by eBay.

Some may chalk it up to seller paranoia - but it's a fact that eBay does promote some sellers over others, as eBay's Canadian executive Andrea Stairs acknowledged last year: "Stairs said the company has gained traction from a deals hub it launched three years ago to group deals from highly trusted sellers in a single place on the site." And eBay spends much of the messaging its website and in its marketing emails driving traffic to the eBay deals hub.

eBay began launching new shopping experiences last year, as it described in this post, and continues to roll them out to new categories.

Have you seen the new eBay shopping experience pages? Let us know what you think and if they are helping all sellers.

Perminate Link for Welcome to the New eBay Shopping Experience   Welcome to the New eBay Shopping Experience

by: FeelingFroggy This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jun 11 15:58:00 2017

Same confusing mess just a different color of lipstick....

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jun 11 16:16:20 2017

I didnt know it was April Fools Day already. My calendar says June.

by: Donkey This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jun 11 16:51:11 2017

Yes, I especially like this new feature on my listing. Ebay cannot even get basic picture hosting correct.

''We're having trouble showing buyers the gallery photo you added when you listed this item. We need you to revise your listing to fix this problem.''

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Sun Jun 11 16:55:36 2017

Now ....if they said, "Welcome to the Old Ebay Shopping Experience"......GAME ON....We're not interested in anymore "New Ebay"        garbage.

by: GrumpyHam This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jun 11 19:03:47 2017

Same old nonsense. In certain categories, nothing has changed in 20 years (besides for the fees, PayPal, returns and other assorted trash) Basically it is the same. I have no foreign competition. Never will. 10 years ago was better, but if you know how to play the game, money can still be made.
Improvise, adapt and overcome!

by: comments This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jun 11 23:34:40 2017

You can change the user interface and search all you want but it doesn't change the fact every item I buy is a dropship from walmart/amazon/samsclub. I am not interested in paying a steep premium to buy though ebay when I can go to the source.

It is also extremely frustrating that no most sellers are using clickbait best offers that waste 12-48hrs only to get a counter offer for a literal few cents less then buy it now.

This combined with each fee increase driving prices up to there point where there is no value in trying to buy on the ebay platform.

These are very real issues that really do  prevent me from making purchases on ebay. It is not just me venting or "boycotting", I just have no brand loyalty. I go where the deals are and they aren't on ebay anymore.

by: alaska This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jun 11 23:58:07 2017

My new eBay shopping experience is the fact that most of my bookmarked searches no longer work. So I'm not buying much on eBay anymore.

by: Jim Y This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 12 00:32:17 2017

I didn't really read the whole thing.  My eyes just kind of glazed over.

by: rachel This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 12 01:15:13 2017

I receive emails on a daily basis for an item that says "We found this for you" I just put them into spam and delete them because it is nothing I would want and something I could find anywhere on the internet usually very inexpensive mass produced clothes with no shape, just two seams. Sure they are cheap and they should be! Amazon does a better job on clothing plus I get 5% back on my Amazon Chase card and also get credits no the Amazon Prime card but that just give you credits so sticking with the original one .

by: Paul W This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 12 01:35:10 2017

New search results are frustrating.  I search for cheap unused US postage, of which there are, SOMEWHERE, many such lots, and I get ''Whats hot'' (not what I need) and a fountain pen with a stamp pictured on it (which I REALLY don't need).  No wonder my sales are off.  Nobody can find anything relevant to their search.

by: handmedownheaven This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 12 01:59:45 2017

Pure crap.  eBay is doing nothing more than shafting the little sellers.  That is why I have ZERO items listed and probably will not buy much either.

by: Postthoughts This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 12 02:21:16 2017

I found it confusing and aggravating.  Things came up that were not even close to what I put in search. I ended up buying on Amazon.

Why should I waste that much time trying to get to the items I actually want to see only to get a bunch of things I'm not interested in? If ebay thinks I will impulse buy doing this, they are sadly mistaken. It makes me want to search anywhere but ebay.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Mon Jun 12 02:47:16 2017

I get it that Ebay needs to stay on top of technology and change with the needs of the time.  But at some point it is too much too fast and I think we have long ago reached that point.

It seems to me that a vaca from changes is in order.  IMHO Ebay needs to take a break and concentrate on stabilizing the current platform and programming.

There are so many issues on Ebay that need immediate attention yet Ebay continues to roll out change after change after change.  It appears they think that the more frequently they make changes the better they are and that simply is not true.

All these changes don't do anyone any good if they don't function properly.  The do the opposite of what they are intended to do.  The do NOT enhance the buying experience, but it sure does increase the amount of time sellers have to spend trying to manage their listings to correct all the problems created by programs that are not functioning correctly.

We would all be so much better off if we had a site that was running a whole lot more smoothly that it is.  Not to mention a search engine that was not as freaked out as the one we have now.  It is beyond horrible!

This user has validated their user name. by: Jono

Mon Jun 12 06:22:40 2017

Pic click searches eBay better than eBay's own search https://picclick.co.uk which speaks volumes!

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 12 06:45:52 2017

give Ebay credit for trying.  I appreciate every bit of help I can get.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Mon Jun 12 06:54:54 2017

Just another means of directing eBay buyers to their favored enterprise and Asian sellers.

eBay management ALWAYS feel like they are on the edge of something new. Wowsy Wowsy Wall Street.

They won't stop "reimaginging" until every small seller has "left the building".

"We're reconnecting with small sellers." "We're reconnecting with small sellers." "We're reconnecting with small sellers."  Encore Wenig!

by: Snapped This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 12 07:16:51 2017

Haven't yet seen a new eBay ad interrupting a perfectly good TV show, but I saw a commercial for QVC today.  More pertaintantly, QVC.com. Don't see them mentioned much here. Perhaps because they're more likely percieved as more relevant to air, vice net?

Anyway, what was significant, was that it seemed to be also a campaign aimed to provide a 'new' eC shopping experience.  It splash-portrayed a brand loyalty mention - not hammer - using an implied one click interface to snatch up brand based 'stuff' chosen from a scrolling page layout of items thematically related.  It did so in a much more intuitively arranged way than eBay's new 'experience' pages do.

It also implies acknowledging 'uniqueness' of the buyer, but without having to over declare that as a focus.

The items exampled, were of course the same department store retail, and mostly foriegn produced items one finds in any mall, presumably also including the unique QVC flavor of the newly invented/marketed.

Point being, that is the item/demographic eBay courts now.  And eBay wants to do so, as if they were the masters of the inventory made visibly available (while internally shedding as much fiscal responsibility for it as possible).

Consider all that, in tangent with unarguable comments by others above, and one can clearly see eBay has a quantum leap to overcome in eCommerce viability as what's relevant does indeed 'change' to reflect new generations of consumers.

Compare too eBay's most recent gag tag-line dujour with the one from the QVC commercial, a whole grade above:

''Find what you love.  Love what you find.''

Thats how to do it.

This user has validated their user name. by: blueribbon1844

Mon Jun 12 08:52:02 2017

I had 2 buyer fraud cases this weekend, so "new experience" for scammers is going great.

by: JohnGermaine This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 12 09:22:16 2017

I never see the home page so have no idea what they are talking about. I have never seen their new ad so don't have an opinion there either. BUT I can tall you that whatever it is they did, they tanked my sales, BADLY and for the last 2 months.  Excuse my French, but it outright SUCKS!

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Mon Jun 12 09:22:19 2017

@Paul W

I just searched for: Forever Postage Stamps

Got 349 results

I see plenty of stamps to buy

1 2 3  [Next Page]