Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Sun June 4 2017 20:09:41

Sellers: Be Aware of New Security Protocols at Amazon

A company that work closely with Amazon sellers has reported a disturbing trend. Cynthia Stine of eGrowth Partners says Amazon is suspending sellers who change their bank account numbers.

"We have seen numerous clients flagged for fraud simply because they are changing their bank accounts. When you are flagged, you are blocked from logging into your account and it can take some time to get access to your account again."

Amazon is also requiring sellers to adopt Two-Step Verification (2-SV) as of June 30, as we reported in the May 29th issue of 411 - here's an excerpt, see more on the Amazon seller boards:

"We know there are bad actors out there, and while I can't speculate on their motives, we believe the use of 2-SV is a critical security measure that sellers should enable and keep in their toolbox without waiting until June 30th when it becomes a requirement."

Sellers are caught in the middle between the so-called "bad actors" who are trying to hijack their accounts, and Amazon, which is trying to keep its site safe.

UPDATE 6/17/17: See this thread on the Amazon boards, it appears there may be a reprieve.

Perminate Link for Sellers: Be Aware of New Security Protocols at Amazon   Sellers: Be Aware of New Security Protocols at Amazon

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 5 00:39:37 2017

Amazon is going to lose a lot of sellers by "mandatory" requiring us to do this.  Surely, there's another way to keep the bad players out of the site.  Maybe when you get new sellers, have them upload & send their business papers or driver's license....some form of ID.  But it's not just AMZ, it seems all these sites are coming up with restrictions that hurt sellers & ecommerce.

by: victorypending This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 5 03:07:02 2017

Amazon suspended my account, as I questioned why I should send them a Copy bank account ( We will never ask you for your bank account details)well they did so I sent it back as possible fraud. Now they want details of proof who I am, with copies of Utility bills, I sent my driving Licence a legal item so we will see what happens. My account is still suspended, when or if it opens up again who knows.

by: victorypending This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 5 03:17:28 2017

Amazon suspended my sellers account; I disagree with sending my Bank account details, Amazon  plus other sites state  that ( WE will never ask you for your bank account details) well they did so I sent it back as possible Fraud request.
They are now asking for Utility bills with my name and address etc, all on line so I sent them a shot of a legal document my drivers licence this has all the relevant up to date information. This was yesterday 4th June so who knows what's going to happen. I cannot understand why they should ask for a personal and private document, which in some ceases you wouldn't show the wife !!

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Mon Jun 5 07:14:35 2017

As I read through the nightmare comments on Amazon I thought....oh know, eBay will want to do the same.

Monkey see, monkey do.

by: Coolstraps This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 5 08:51:14 2017

I'm not sure what people who only have cell phones will do. I am a little old-school in that I have a cell and a land line.  I just set up the 2-step verification this morning and it requires a second back-up number. There are more and more people who only use cell phones. Unless I'm missing something, this could be problematic for a number of sellers.

by: Sierra This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 5 09:59:30 2017

@Rexford, I've been watching eBay, Amazon, and Etsy play ''monkey see, monkey do'' for at least 5 years now. What works (or what one site *thinks* works) may not work on another site, but that doesn't seem to stop them from trying it!

How many sellers did eBay lose when they required sellers to ONLY accept PayPal, for example? Etsy lost an estimated 40,000 shops last week when the deadline passed for requiring sellers to accept Etsy Payments if they live in a country where it's available.

@Coolstraps, I only have a cell phone and I managed to get 2-SV set up on Amazon. The first time I looked at the 2-SV page, I didn't see an option for me ... but after I posted in a FB group, someone said LOOK ... because it IS there ... and it was the second time. Also, there's a setting where you can have your computer/phone/whatever remember the 2-SV so you don't have to do it EVERY time you log in (HUGE sigh of relief!).

by: G-and-A This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 5 10:16:25 2017

I am in the opposite situation, only having a land line, with no cell phone connected to the internet.  I don't sell on Amazon, but use Amazon Pay through Bonanza.  Am I interpreting it correctly that I will not be able to use Amazon Pay?
I read the info on Amazon's site, but did not completely understand it.

by: mcposty This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 5 11:40:51 2017

Yet they let scammers post 25,000 items on seconds and rarely remove them. Lol amazon you stupid

by: topdog This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 5 18:25:44 2017

I'm also a no-cell person. I do not want one, and really don't need one, so I have no intention of getting one just for Amazon. We have 2-step verification for a number of different accounts (usually a bank or CC), and every one either will send a code to the email account on file, or will send it to you by voice. Why Amazon will not do the same is beyond me - not everyone has a cell.