Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Thu June 1 2017 23:28:57

eBay Riddle: Is It a Glitch or Intentional?

It's neither a game show nor a philosophical riddle, but it can be quite puzzling. We're referring to the regular plight sellers find themselves in when they have to decide whether something on eBay is a glitch or an intentional change.

eBay sellers are reporting a couple of glitches of concern. One is that they're unable to accept offers made through the Best Offer feature - according to one report on Ecommerce EKG:

"Cannot accept offers. It shows there is an offer and I can see the amount but there is no box to click to accept or decline the offer. Have tried through email, messages, the item and view offers, and none offers a way to accept. Tough to sell things if I can't accept offers."

Sellers discussed the problem on the eBay boards, where one seller said they were told eBay had made a change in order to "streamline" the offers page:

"In order to streamline the offers page they have removed the buttons (which have always been there) and have included them on a next page which you can access by clicking on the box which contains the buyer's ID. The explanation I was given was that there was too much confusion when there were multiple offers and people accidently responded to the wrong offer."

Other sellers said the customer service reps they had spoken to did not have the answer and nearly missed out on sales as a result, and they questioned why eBay had made the change without notifying sellers. Some were able to accept offers once they understood the new flow, but others said there was also a glitch related to accepting offers.

Another serious problem reported on Ecommerce EKG on Sunday:

"eBay has a major glitch with their Buyer Protection Program. Here's what it says now in the "Coverage" area where the Buyer Protection blurb used to go:

Coverage:
Read item description or contact seller for details. See all details
(Not eligible for eBay purchase protection programs)

"The "See all details" is highlighted in blue, as to have a link to another page. It goes nowhere. There has been 100+ Community posts regarding this, and nothing has been done."

Sellers were quite upset, as it isn't merely that the buyer protection wording was removed, but was replaced by something they feel connotes negativity about the seller.

Sellers asked eBay during the weekly chat yesterday: "Just when will MBG be fixed on listings ? 6 days now.................."

A moderator responded: "We don't have an exact timeframe but we do know it's a priority to be resolved. Be on the lookout for changes!"

That response resulted in more questions about what changes might be coming, as sellers wondered in a new thread about the issue. As one seller said, "So now I wonder if this really wasn't a glitch afterall but just some big change in progress? That would explain why they seemed to be in no big rush trying to get it fixed and it was hard to get a straight answer about what was going on with it."

The moderator responded on the new thread, writing: "I want to apologize if the word "changes" sparked any confusion. By my statement, I simply meant to be on the lookout for when that coverage statement is corrected. We don't want to use the word soon or promise a set time for a fix as occasionally that fix can be delayed. It is something we're working on as a top priority and while we don't have an ETA, it's something we've escalated."

A reader pointed out, "It's wasn't just the "removal". It's what replaced it that's so bizarre."

The moderator returned at noon (today) to say the issue had been resolved. But sellers who participated in the thread may be waiting for the other shoe to drop.

So as for two of this week's eBay Riddles, it would seem that the problem of accepting offers was intentional (we think), while the problem of the missing buyer protection messaging was a glitch (we think).

Perminate Link for eBay Riddle: Is It a Glitch or Intentional?   eBay Riddle: Is It a Glitch or Intentional?

by: Trying-My-Best This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jun 2 01:50:32 2017

Let me add another ''glitch'' to the menu.

EBay Shipping Labels printed out a shipping label with Signature Tracking - when I did not check off Signature Confirmation.  I had to void that label and submit a new shipping label - making sure it was not checked - the 2nd label printed, same as first with Signature Tracking.

I called CS, was put on hold as she made ''adjustments'' and had her stay on the line for the 3rd printing.  Yup, it showed Signature Tracking.  I mentioned my, err, eBay's buyer, would be angry if not at home to sign ...CS told me ''no worries, eBay will contact USPS and have it waived''  - ya, sure they will.  I was instructed to mail it.   I messaged buyer for the heads up ...(she's to receive it tomorrow) and have had no response.

Double check all Priority Mail labels before mailing.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Fri Jun 2 02:03:10 2017

Brian Burke doesn't think it's important to the seller or the "seller experience" to let us know about "changes" because he doesn't care how much inconvenience, time, or money his arrogance causes.

As I've been saying for many years here, "glitches" that favor ebay and harm sellers break about 99.99%.

True glitches would break even given a sufficiently large sample.

The Corleones at work.

This user has validated their user name. by: eXtinctBay

Fri Jun 2 04:13:40 2017

What is a ''glitch''??

I thought it was the sound which comes from stepping into something that your dog just did on your back lawn. While barefoot. And it goes between your toes.

The daily problems that are not addressed quickly (especially serious ones like the six day removal of eBay Buyer Protection) seem like they may be in place to break the spirit of sellers.

Reminds me of the movie ''Major League''. The owner cared nothing about the well-being of the Cleveland Indians, and wanted them to finish in last place.

If no one would show up to see a losing team, attendance would wane enough so she could move the team to Florida.

The roster was filled with no talent players, and there was no money invested  in the product on the field. She also took away their Jacuzzi machines, towels, and team jet plane.

So there are a few parallels here.

Not to worry. When eBay shuts the doors, Wal-Mart will be hiring. They will need us to deliver packages on our way home from work!!

by: Snapped This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jun 2 04:24:43 2017

Thay are not a glitches.  They are simply 'unannounced' process changes.

Unfortunately, and all too typically, not even eBay knows if such are 'intentional', much less, what might result.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Fri Jun 2 07:13:32 2017

Are they still using the online shopping system that Michael Aldrich introduced in 1979?

And eXtinctBay, love your new avatar.

by: bpm This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jun 2 11:08:55 2017

I had the best offer glitch yesterday - could not figure out how to accept an offer, and yes it did lead me to another page which also had no means of acceptance; I eventually accepted the offer through the mobile app, which is the first time that has been of any use.

by: Bidderboy This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jun 2 12:06:55 2017

Shameful...disgraceful...demoralizing...business as usual for eBay. It's like having the stupidest boss in the world and I, along with many others, came to eBay to get out of the work force and flex our entrepreneurial muscles. I made a big success for myself at eBay, but that's now a thing of the past thanks to eBay - my most hapless, out of touch boss EVER! One might conclude, as many have, that the destruction from within of the once mighty site is deliberate for reasons that fair-playing, hard working sellers can't imagine or understand.

This user has validated their user name. by: RKTOYS

Fri Jun 2 13:06:54 2017

They had some outages last night when I was trying to use up my 500 listing promotion.  Just ye olde "oops, something happened, try later" for about 20 minutes.  Pretty convenient to happen as I was racing against the clock.  It took longer than I expected to relist normally and relist again $10 higher with "free" shipping.  Really doubt it'll make a difference but who knows.

by: 27tcle This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jun 2 13:20:39 2017

This is just bad. It honestly appears at this point they want to commit corporate suicide. My best guess why is they got caught doing something they should have not done and need to burn the records or cook the books. Nothing else makes any real sense about their behavior toward their sellers

by: Volvo351 This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jun 4 09:23:03 2017

Seriously, I doubt if eBay's [mis-]management knows what their 'crack' IT team is doing, or if they even give a carp! As long as the six- and seven- figure checks clear, why bother?

by: Volvo351 This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jun 4 09:27:49 2017

BTW, don't even bother with 'Best Offer!" It's another hassle at best and a disaster waiting to happen at worst. What if you decline the buyer's 'offer' and he later pays full price? You think he's gonna be happy, or he's gonna badmouth you on feedback? You already know the answer to that one!

by: FLIPPER This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 5 01:28:55 2017

My sales stopped as though a switch had been thrown 3 weeks ago.  Wednesday of last week, while I was "relisting" an item manually that normally selld very well, I noticed the "not eligible for eBay buyer protection..." WTH! Now I know why, in all liklihood sales "dried up". Thanks eBay /s

by: Lois This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 5 06:37:51 2017

By late last night, it had still not been fixed. Drove me nutty trying to find a way to over ride the fact that there was no box to accept or refuse. The listing was due to expire and I wanted to accept. Finally - finally, I found a way to do so, but I find this the stupidest thing EBay has done recently. What are they thinking of?

by: Snapped This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 5 07:46:22 2017

Seriously.

This was a simple replacement of text in a templated html web page display table.  It takes one person less than 5 MINUTES to insert it back into the master page(s) code.  It's a status toggle state.  Kindergarten IT/cs.

Given that, eBay's insistence they were working on it as a ''priority'' for the time period they had, renders the 'change (' dujour) deliberate and purposeful.  Data collection for impact analysis?  Perhaps inventory and supply manipulation experimentation?  The only other alternative is gross incompetence, part of which seems to have been admitted regarding poor 'communication'.

Regardless, the response itself, no less than insulting and deliberately deceitful.   As it is EVERY time we hear a gremlin wakes.  Before eBay futzed with something.  Or backed into a toggle switch.  Whatever.

''Be on the lookout for changes'' (complete with standard ubiquitous exclaimation point) indeed.  Seems that's a daily necessity now, since no announcements seem forthcoming for the machine-gun pace of changes being 'tried'.

Morons in control everywhere now.  Like some kind of bizarro world; everything defying common sense and reason.

''!''

by: Windkissed This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 5 08:01:26 2017

I got one of those offer emails yesterday but it was from an offer I had previously made a counter offer on.  It looked like an offer with a respond button but It was not an offer.  I did contact the person who made the original offer with a photo of the item and ask them if they were still interested.  How can we rely on an offer and the legal ramifications behind it if we cannot count on it being a legit offer?  I think ebay has some serious problems to deal with.

by: sickandtired This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 5 08:59:40 2017

Ran into this problem for the first time on Thursday night and spent 1 hour waiting for a c/s call back then called again and after 1/2 more on hold I finally got through.

Agent I spoke to knew exactly what I was calling about and did tell me it was a "glitch" - naturally in ebay speak and that they were working to resolve it.  Work around was explained as others have described, but when I have to do it, (have accepted about 20 offers since then) it only works for me when I click on the item price in the box on the left. That will bring up the normal screen with the  "accept/counter/decline" boxes.

I would never defend the indefensible but I can't see that this is anything but typical shoddy coding.....some change was being made somewhere and this is an unintended consequence. My feeling is that it probably has something to do with the tinkering with the number of offers ebay is going to allow. I understand that since I list on .ca we are going to be hung with 10 offers available to buyers now. ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS!

I know some sellers prefer not to use the feature, but it is great for me.  That being said, I have no intention of nattering back and forth with any buyer more than I do now.  OFFER RECEIVED - COUNTER MADE - buyer either accepts or walks. I only dicker further if the person is negotiating on more than one item.  Works for me so I will continue the same way.

I think I will be hitting the decline button rather frequently from now on. If every seller who uses best offer draws a reasonable line of way less than 10 offers, maybe a wave of whining, PO'ed buyers flooding ebay's help line will make them realize what an asinine idea they are shoving down our throats.

This user has validated their user name. by: RKTOYS

Mon Jun 5 10:56:56 2017

So for the non-IT folks, the difference between a bug and a glitch is that a bug is constant/repeatable and a glitch is intermittent.

by: bb6 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 5 11:34:13 2017

Its very simple ebay, just tell us what is changing. From there we can adapt or move on. Ever changing things is a pain in the ass but at least we know what has changed. I too had the best offer experience. I was mad, but didn't complain. Like others I ended up just accepting on the mobile app, but on the app you can't send invoices. So I had to jump back over to the computer to send an invoice. Later that day I just kept clicking on things on the desktop page until the offer button appeared. Lots of time wasted and finally got it after offer 8 on the day. It would have been so much easier if they would have told us the new process. This not telling us is happening a lot lately. News flash ebay, I'm running a business that pays peoples salaries and puts food on the table for their families. You cant just say oh we didn't think it was important. Just be responsible and let us know. This is a billion dollar company. When will they start acting like it?

by: Toledo Maude This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 5 12:25:52 2017

Have not had a sale on eBay in two weeks.  I would not know if there is a ''glitch'' or not.

Watching last nights big game, I was pleased and surprised to see eBay throwing big bucks around to advertise on this national event.

Then the ''rub'', there was no hint that one could new stuff and old stuff on eBay.  Only new stuff.

by: JWsax This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 5 15:15:21 2017

I just got an offer I want to counter and clicking on the sellers name does not bring me to a page I can take action on , just the usual info page for the buyer. As always when ebay drops the ball I will offer him the means to contact me directly.