Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Mon May 22 2017 23:09:13

eBay CEO Gets Aggressive with Deadbeats

eBay CEO Devin Wenig said eBay is tackling the problem of buyers who don't follow through and pay for items they purchase (or in the case of auctions, win).

However, there's been no announcement from eBay that we can find. Here's exactly what the CEO tweeted this morning:

"We are beginning to roll out a more aggressive solution to minimize unpaid items on behalf of our sellers."

Have you seen any changes that deal with the problem of hit-and-run buyers? What do you think eBay should do to reduce unpaid items and deal with deadbeat buyers?

Perminate Link for eBay CEO Gets Aggressive with Deadbeats   eBay CEO Gets Aggressive with Deadbeats

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Tue May 23 00:43:12 2017

Hey! I've seen this before .... its called "the boy who cried wolf!"

"ALEXA, please teach Devin Wenig something about ecommerce!"

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Tue May 23 01:16:48 2017

Nothing more than more empty lip service to "reconnect with small sellers."

Dealing with NPBs is quite simple. After and ONLY after a seller files a case and doesn't receive payment, ebafia should leave negative feedback for the buyer.

I offer layaways (some of which go for 6 months) with PayPal payments so I do NOT want ebay deciding who a non paying buyer is. Let ME determine this, please.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Tue May 23 01:17:41 2017

After three lifetime non payments, buyer is suspended from site.

This user has validated their user name. by: eXtinctBay

Tue May 23 02:58:03 2017

I wonder if this includes those buyers who purchase, and then are shown other (often less expensive) options from sponsored websites. And change their mind.

Very annoying when someone immediately cancels. I have to pay PayPal their 30 cent transaction fee, and lose all the ''watchers'' that are perhaps waiting to buy my item.

And, if any buyer is suspended, we all know they can start fresh with a new zero feedback User ID. Then eBay can brag to Wall Street about the increase in buyers / new users this quarter.

No way they would permanently kick even the worst problem buyer off the site. As I mentioned recently on the ECB buyer fraud blog, eBay will not change until they procure, warehouse, sell, and pick and pack merchandise like Amazon.

by: Frank Abagnale This user has validated their user name.

Tue May 23 06:12:42 2017

There are no deadbeats on EBay. All buyers have 100% feedback.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Tue May 23 08:46:45 2017

extinctbay says "Very annoying when someone immediately cancels."

I agree. Extremely annoying, but if you ship it and they immediately want to return it for buyers remorse (especially if they file SNAD to get free return shipping) it makes one grateful for the immediate cancellation.

by: FeelingFroggy This user has validated their user name.

Tue May 23 09:47:38 2017

Ebay contributes the most to global warming with their daily spewing of hot air.

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Tue May 23 09:52:18 2017

And yet this isn't enough to get me to sell on Ebay, again. I left in 2008.
Until it returns to the 2001 take rate, and freedom of communications, I'm never coming back.

by: mcposty This user has validated their user name.

Tue May 23 10:35:44 2017

Yea right. EBay and amazon would not even kick off a customer of they admit being fraudsters. It's like a store catching a shoplifter and telling them keep the item and come back as often as you like.

by: leathermermaid8 This user has validated their user name.

Tue May 23 11:07:37 2017

Banning chronic sport bidders and others should be step one.  Two strikes and out.  They should also block any and all known IP addresses of abusive members.

Having said that, there are websites that help banned users get back on the site undetected.  Sad but true.

Banning happens in hobby forums all the time as I've mentioned before, so why can't a mega company do it?  Ebay touts itself as a tech company afterall.  But I'm not holding my breath.

The site was self policing when honest feedback was allowed by buyers AND sellers.  Try again Mr. Dervish Weeny

by: b86fiero This user has validated their user name.

Tue May 23 11:58:18 2017

I stopped running auctions because of non-paying bidders. The eBay community boards receive lots of posts by sellers stating the same thing.
eBay continues to encourage more auction listings. Perhaps if Devin and the "team" can actually do something to stem the rising tide of non-paying buyers auctions might increase.
~
At least with Buy It Now we can demand immediate payment. No wasting time wishing and hoping you get paid.
~
Perhaps Paypal should step up and flex some muscle with regard to immediate cancellations and refunds to buyers who cancel within a few hours of purchase.  Maybe Paypal could charge the transaction fee to the BUYER by deducting it from the refund - instead of the seller.
~

by: comments This user has validated their user name.

Tue May 23 12:39:47 2017

I am torn on the issue. For me unpaid items are not a huge problem, but are annoying when they happen. Return abuse and excuse + please cancel are much worse.

All the time buyers are putting in best offers and winning items. Then coming back two days later telling me to cancel their order because:

their account was hijacked

their "son bought it said ha ha ha ha"

they did not buy the item

they hit the buy it now and confirm link by accident

they thought it was a much different item (example they buy a shirt and claim they thought this was a pair of pants)

So a crack down on the UPI process will not be of any benefit because buyers will either request to cancel or even worse pay then request to cancel or simply return it. The UPI process is super easy to circumvent with no dispute or review process over the buyers actions.

Ebay simply needs to enact an internal seller dispute process that allows a seller to show ebay a buyers actions though the message system that offers some protections when a buyer is being unreasonable or circumventing policy.

For example when a buyer tells me to cancel a sale or they will return it, then I should be able to report it to ebay for actual action. Even if there is no consequence to the buyer, the seller shouldn't face consequences for an unreasonable buyer.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Tue May 23 14:24:55 2017

I have little faith that Ebay will tackle this growing problem in any meaningful way.

Ebay could create a program similar to a Seller's Dashboard but with Buyer's stats.  Track returns, refund requests etc.  On their FB page it shows how many Bid retractions a buyer has done.  I think there should be other numbers visible to sellers

Number of Cancellations and Number of Return Requests.  Each number should have an enforceable numerical threshold percentage and have real ramifications to them.  This would help Ebay zero in on problematic buyers.

Further it would help if Ebay would update the settings sellers can choose from to block certain buyers.  We should be able to block due to X number of Cancellations and X number of return requests in certain periods of time.

We have the right to refuse service to certain customers, yet Ebay currently impedes our ability to so.  Not only with a lack of settings but also with a BBL that Ebay allows a buyer to easily circumvent.

by: mcposty This user has validated their user name.

Tue May 23 14:43:22 2017

this whole idea that EVERY customer needs to be saved is ridiculous. Amazon will straight up refund some bull crap claims, when they should be telling these scammy annoying buyers to take their business elsewhere.

not all customers should be welcome

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Tue May 23 15:28:32 2017

Policies that dont BULLY sellers arent enforced.

"Alexa, please explain ECOMMERCE to Devin Wenig"

by: Scotty This user has validated their user name.

Tue May 23 15:31:55 2017

What have I seen in this regard....no sales for 4 days now (a first for this duration in 18 years of selling).  This is the solution, no sales = no deadbeats.  Joking aside, something is REALLY wrong this time...

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Tue May 23 15:48:43 2017

It used to be that if a person got three unpaid strikes they were out. Then eBay, in it desperation to keep buyers, changed it to a policy of reviewing the buyer and then taking action if warranted (this was told to me by a CSR after a buyer who failed to pay me for an auction win already had ten negatives for non-payment).

I agree with "leathermermaid8" above: a person fails to pay twice, and they are permanently gone. I realize there are unexpected events that can occur in a person's life, so I can forgive one unpaid strike. But over one should not be allowed.

by: papergoy This user has validated their user name.

Tue May 23 15:59:39 2017

Realistically, what can eBay do?  They ban someone from the site...the person signs up again.  They make the person pay somehow and what- the person then complains the item wasn't as described and gets their money back anyway.  Short of taking the person to small claims court on behalf of the buyer, what exactly can eBay do?  I have no problem with someone buying it and changing his mind (it is amazing how many "autistic kids" buy things as that's the new excuse I get regularly)- JUST LET ME KNOW. What burns me is when I go through the trouble of putting in a UPI and THEN you suddenly tell me "oh I didn't want it..."  How about manning up in the first place and saying "sorry..." rather than waiting until I have to chase you down (and then if I close the case I'm out the fees).  But there's really nothing eBay can do in this case.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Tue May 23 19:20:18 2017

@papergoy

There are many things that Ebay can do, they just don't.

Jack described what they use to do, years ago with those buyer that get 3 unpaid strikes within a 30 or 60 day period from 3 different sellers.  Ebay use to auto NARU them.  Then before they changed the policy, they stopped enforcing it.  After some time, they finally updated the written policy on Ebay WITHOUT notification to the members.  Now it says Ebay "MAY" do something or they may not.  It is mostly NOT!

So as not to repeat myself, I made a couple suggestions a few posts back that would help sellers with this matter as well.  But even if they didn't do any of that, there still are things Ebay CAN do to help the situation.

My policy is that if I file a UID, that means my customer has not paid and is not communicating with me, if that buyer contacts me after the UID is opened, I do NOT change it to a cancellation.  I just get a little slow in my response time to them until I can actually close the UID for non payment.  If they can't bother themselves to communicate with me before the UID is filed, then why should I go out of my way to assist them?  For those that contact be before hand, I always work with those buyers.  I may not like it, but I will work with them.

by: Sinnombre This user has validated their user name.

Tue May 23 20:29:07 2017

I like the idea of giving negative feedback for non paying bidders and people who abuse the return system by lying that it is not as described just to avoid paying return shipping .

However , it will never happen because ebay could care less if sellers get harmed or make a profit .
 The current system favors buyers and allows abuse at the expense of sellers.

I guess they figure its easy to burn through sellers and have them replaced with another person selling the same items .

1 2 3  [Next Page]