Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Wed May 3 2017 14:52:24

eBay Delays the Demise of Turbo Lister

eBay notified sellers today that it is delaying the planned end of its popular Turbo Lister selling tool. Here's the letter eBay sent sellers today:

"As we continue to build out the listing capabilities in Seller Hub, we would appreciate you taking a few minutes to provide your feedback by completing a short survey."

eBay had told sellers last year that it would stop supporting the tool in June.

Let us know what you think of Turbo Lister and the new Seller Hub, and if you have recommendations for sellers who don't want to give up using a desktop tool like Turbo Lister.

Perminate Link for eBay Delays the Demise of Turbo Lister   eBay Delays the Demise of Turbo Lister

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Wed May 3 15:33:28 2017

One of those rare occasions that Ebay actually listened to all the complaints about retiring this program.  It has always been my opinion that Ebay would come to this conclusion and I'm certainly happy to hear this.

While they aren't planning any improvements to TL, they are willing to support it.  That too is good news.

While I do believe this change of plans is due to all the complaints they were given, I also think it is also because they are nowhere near having the ability in Seller Hub to take TL's place.

This is really good news for lots and lots of Sellers on Ebay.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Wed May 3 15:35:03 2017

I forgot, this email also came with a survey on TL.  It was short and to the point.  It hit the most important parts of TL and it is worthwhile taking the time to fill it out in the hopes Ebay will better understand why so many sellers use TL and what they would have to program into the Seller Hub if they really want to retire TL.

by: FeelingFroggy This user has validated their user name.

Wed May 3 16:20:54 2017

Dare I say. I TOLD YA ALL SO.

This user has validated their user name. by: eXtinctBay

Wed May 3 17:00:26 2017

The reason they need to retire TL is because many of the ''legacy'' listings are not compatible because of active content.

Maybe the active content ban will also be delayed, because most sellers expect eBay to fix the listings themselves.

If the code is not removed, the listings that include it will have so much gobbledygook in the descriptions that it will place a HUGE drain on eBay's servers. And God knows they will not purchase more equipment to handle the load.

I have not opted into Seller Hub- experience tells me that it is probably not of any benefit for me to change things (as with the Global Shipping Program, Promoted Listings, etc.). These ''enhancements'' usually only benefit eBay, not my business.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Wed May 3 17:40:05 2017

According to an Ebay board employee there is no Java Script associated with the TL process.

This user has validated their user name. by: eXtinctBay

Wed May 3 19:24:35 2017

@Marie

JavaScript is just one of the add-ons or plug in tools that are affected by the ban.

This user has validated their user name. by: Groucho

Wed May 3 22:30:34 2017

A better idea would be to keep Turbo Lister and get rid of the rest of the eBay site. At least Turbo Lister actually works!

by: justsaying This user has validated their user name.

Thu May 4 10:18:44 2017

I love TurboLister and have used it since at least 2009 to manage my inventory.  I have thousands of unique listings in it, both past and present.  (Unfortunately, recently I deleted all of my TL early database backups, and am now screwed for my older listings.  I am bummed.  I am trying to find a program to recover them on my old computer, if possible.)

by: justsaying This user has validated their user name.

Thu May 4 10:19:36 2017

I did not get the email, nor the survey.  I wonder why not?

by: Frank F This user has validated their user name.

Thu May 4 12:43:43 2017

Yep, its about time that they put out a statement on this. I asked some questions in a nice way on the ebay for business facebook page and kept getting the 'talking points' response. And then they blocked me for no reason other than being a customer and asking good questions.. Crummy company and employees follow the lead of the ones on top.

Really sucks but at least we got our voices heard on Turbolister...

And lets see if they provide the mechanism to move listings between accounts, and a turnkey migration tool to get stuff stored in TL into the new repository..

AND REALLY NOW, you would think that they would have upped the 90 day retention a LONG TIME AGO... The fact that its still 90 days is pathetic and shows they are no where near where they need to be to support TL like functionality.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Thu May 4 16:41:15 2017

@frank

It is only temporary.  They don't have what they deem the replacement in the Seller's Hub ready yet.

by: thebobman This user has validated their user name.

Fri May 5 00:37:27 2017

> many of the ''legacy'' listings are not compatible because of active content.

I've been selling on ebay for so long I never got the memo when they started allowing active content. 10 years ago or so, there was a big  thing that basically said "no javascript".

Does anyone know when they started allowing active content?

by: moonmyst This user has validated their user name.

Fri May 5 00:52:34 2017

I did not get the email or the survey either. What a joke!

by: Aahz This user has validated their user name.

Fri May 5 00:59:17 2017

eBay didn't listen to anybody.  Nothing has changed. This is exactly what they planned (and announced) all along. They never set a specific date for TL to stop working and they still haven't.  From Wednesday's Weekly Chat at http://community.ebay.com/t5/Weekly-Chat-with-eBay-Staff/Weekly-Commun
ity-Chat-May-3rd-1pm-PT-General-Topics/m-p/26924549#M11686

"
   itswickedfun wrote:

Received an email today titled "Upcoming Changes for Turbo Lister" which reads, in part:

"Beginning in June 2017, TurboLister will see a few changes as we move to our easy-to-use Seller Hub platform. Though Turbolister will no longer be available to new sellers, and no new features will be added, existing sellers can still use it and will continue to have technical support for the tool."

Q1: Does "existing sellers can still use it" mean for the forseeable future or is the plan still to cut off current users sometime this summer?

Q2: Any further clarification on "no longer be available to new sellers"?

- Q2A: The download link was removed months ago, but some of us still have the installer sitting on our hard drives. So, should I need to reinstall TL will I be able to do so?

- Q2B: There's a difference between "seller" and "account". If I open a new eBay account in July or later will I be able to use TL with it since I am an existing seller or will that account be unable to use TL since it will be a "new account".

Here is some clarification on your specific questions:

Q1: We won't be "cutting off" current users, there will simply be a point where the tool no longer works properly as our developers will not be supporting it and keeping it current. If you have TurboLister, you will still be able to use it until it is no longer compatible with the eBay site.

Q2: The download link is no longer on the site, so this is what we mean when we say it is no longer available. This ties into Q2A that as long as you have the installer, you will be able to use that version of TurboLister. This may not be the most up to date version depending on when you originally got the installer and you can still reach out to turbodata@eBay.com for help getting the latest version possible.

Q2A: See above.

Q2B: You can just add a new user to your TurboLister account to use it on another eBay account.

If you have any additional TurboLister specific questions, you can reach the team for this product directly by emailing turbodata@eBay.com. They are still available to field your questions and help in any way they can."

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Fri May 5 02:53:09 2017

@Aahz

Originally they told us that TL would be retired in June 2017.  While you are correct, they never announced a specific date, they did tell us it would be June so we could prepare for the change.

This user has validated their user name. by: FEEbay

Fri May 5 11:26:38 2017

Folks- Turbolister is long in the tooth, and WILL go away inevitably. I find it to be clunky anyway.... SixBit Software was created my the turbolister team, and you can easily import your turbolister data into the program, and it is fairly cheap---I am not shilling for this  company at all, just trying to give a heads up

by: DVDsandMore This user has validated their user name.

Fri May 5 12:44:08 2017

Does anyone have a link for the survey?  I'd love to let them know I'm going to miss TL.

by: Aahz This user has validated their user name.

Fri May 5 17:03:18 2017

@Marie
Right.  And this hasn't changed at all.  There has been no delay.
TL is still being retired in June.  They never said "it will stop working in June".

@FEEbay
SixBit was created by the Blackthorne team, they had nothing to do with Turbo Lister.  Personally I don't consider $70/month more than I'm paying now to be "fairly cheap".

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Fri May 5 17:12:12 2017

@Aahz
The Spring Seller Update said that Ebay would stop supporting TL and retire it in June 2017.  The newest email regarding this matter said that while there will be NO new features to the program we can still use it if we already have it and Ebay will continue to support the program as needed.

Are you suggesting that even when they retire TL, those that have the program will still be able to use it to post to Ebay and export info from Ebay to TL???

For those interested is Sixbit's pricing, here is a link.  Personally I haven't used it, but it is in my top two for consideration once I move off TL.

by: jeanne*gene This user has validated their user name.

Fri May 5 23:55:30 2017

In anticipation of the demise of TL, I installed Sixbit this week.  I imported a few TL listings and tried to list them.  Sixbit says that they will not load because they need something updated - nothing points to what needs to be updated.  I have no idea what to change, and Sixbit messages do not tell me.  The TL listings loaded fine from TL to eBay.  So far Sixbit is not transparent to this TL user at all.