Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Wed Mar 29 2017 16:30:48

Lost Bids Are Opportunities eBay Shouldn't Ignore

What bothers buyers is obviously not good for sellers. Case in point - eBay moved the "Didn't Win" feature that shoppers use to keep track of items they want to purchase. This month, we came across several threads on the eBay discussion boards from shoppers who had difficulty finding items they had bid on but lost.

"I use this feature a lot so I know what I did not get, so I can bid on a new piece," a shopper wrote. " Mine is gone also. Very annoying. Used it to go find another similar item. How are we to remember everything we have bid on," wrote another.

eBay hadn't eliminated the feature - it moved it, and buyers had various luck finding the new location: Summary, Buy, Bids/Offers, then start scrolling down, Bidding, then Offers, then Didn't Win. "I think we need to make a petition to put it back where it was," wrote one annoyed shopper once they found the new location.

The discussion also had me thinking about the features eBay, Amazon, and Etsy have for shoppers to create wish lists, save searches, save favorite sellers, and other shopping functions. For instance, eBay has a wish list feature - you can even search people's public wish lists by user id - but I'm not sure whether shoppers use it as frequently as Amazon's wish list feature, for example.

Etsy shoppers had a major adjustment this month thanks to the new shopping cart. In the past, buyers could place tons of items in their shopping cart and return any time to purchase only those items they wished to buy. But the introduction of the new multi-item shopping cart meant it no longer acted as a good "shopping list."

How well do you think each marketplace does when it comes to helping shoppers save items for future purchases? Can anyone beat Amazon's robust list and registry features?

Perminate Link for Lost Bids Are Opportunities eBay Shouldn't Ignore   Lost Bids Are Opportunities eBay Shouldn't Ignore

by: FeelingFroggy This user has validated their user name.

Wed Mar 29 17:56:14 2017

Amazon is and always has been a cut above the rest....

While the others are trying to play catch up with short sighted leaders Amazon is merrily pulling further away.

If one was to use only Amazon for a few months for their buying they would never return to Ebay, Etsy or the rest of the losers.

by: 27tcle This user has validated their user name.

Wed Mar 29 20:20:41 2017

It does not help that a lot of AUCTIONS actually end up to 30 seconds before the timer has counted down to zero. I know they do this because i have won several listings at minimum bid and watched the timer keep going when the item has ended. If you aren't winning that's why, not fair to the sellers to be sure. Mostly newer, lower FB, ebay sellers are targeted by the way. Blame the net or whatever you want, but we know the REAL reason why. Shareholders want solid numbers of gross merchandise value, not minimum bid amounts to speculate with.

FWIW, Can we please have the good old ebay back where we could list at 10 bucks and have the item sell reasonably? Would not be too hard to do, just take away the anonymising of bidders so we can KNOW whi is shilling, make separate buyer and seller feedback so NO MORE BS , and for the love of god, stop screwing with the clock and hiding stuff from view!

by: Transferware Odds and Ends This user has validated their user name.

Thu Mar 30 06:55:45 2017

Im a Ebay buyer as well and they sure are making it difficult for me to buy and not so pleasant to return. I also sell on Etsy and their constant changes and the new Rotation of shops to be seen on Goggle is the worst decision they made. Hundreds of sellers worked hard to build their shops over the years for Etsy to make that decision, has now made seller loose sale. Their approach "to give all sellers a fair chance to make sale", bull! its so they dont have to spend tons of our fees on advertising with goggle, cut the advertising fees back, o Etsy has more money in their pockets! These 2 Ebay and Etsy are Greedy and it will., mark my words, come back to bite them in the ass. Their both doing poorly and need to take a lession from better places, like Amazon, if they want to continue to stay open.

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Mar 30 08:05:04 2017

Amazon is and always has been a cut above the rest....

^^
Not so anymore.  Read for the forums in AMZ and you will see a lot of disappointed & disgruntled sellers.  AMZ is closing down "legit" stores and sellers wonder why.  AMZ has a lot of Chinese sellers who are scammers or knock-offs.

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Mar 30 08:06:13 2017

I really like selling on the dedicated stores like Tradesy....no Chinese....no knockoffs....all brand names and they wait until the item is delivered to pay the seller.

by: Moonwishes This user has validated their user name.

Thu Mar 30 09:27:19 2017

Yet again another indication that those that make the decisions on eBay have never bought or sold on eBay and it should be a necessary part of the hiring process -- “Show us proof that you have sold at least 24 items using auctions, BIN, and BO and have bought at least 25 items in those same categories. Considering how much they are paying the bigwigs, it shouldn't be too costly for the new guys. The lower echelon employees should be able to prove at least 10 purchases and 5 sales.

As too Amazon, Lots and Lots of complaints on the forum about the 'chinese' sellers, scam sellers and Amazon in their 'wisdom' is instituting procedures that don't really seem to take care of that problem but cause legitimate sellers problems. When I first started selling there many years ago, for the most part small, individual sellers was the base of their 3P merchants, and an individual could literally work their way up to a decent business. Now they seem to want all new items and their definition of new seems to be perfect and as ordered from the brand owner themselves. Many categories regular Joe blows can't list or sell on at all without being granted permission and paying a huge fee ahead of time.

I am working on getting as many sales as possible and making sure my eCRATER store is in near perfect compliance with Google's rules so that my inventory will be displayed in Google Shopping, etc. I do think that eBay has pretty much imploded for small sellers and Amazon is also on their way to do so. The only thing different is their closer ties to big name brands. I haven't tried Etsy except for one purchase which I thought was difficult to make and resulted in scads of emails from them.

Of all the venues, I have ever tried eCRATER is the only one that seems to be in seller's corner. On Amazon after over ten thousand orders, I'm up to 374 feedbacks. This weekend with not quite 5000 orders on eCRATER, I just hit 1000 positive feedbacks. I am selling their and I am working hard to have the things buyers want and need, and at prices they are willing to buy at, AND I can list things that don't have UPCs so very rare patterns I can have in my store while I can't at Amazon where things like that have people listing those types of patterns as books - an incorrect category. The big boys have gotten too big for their britches.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Thu Mar 30 12:05:05 2017

eBay's missing the boat on this one!

I've been here full time since 2000

In all that time I searched eBay high and low for items I wanted.

Until recently I never used "saved search" and why I have no clue! I'm sure I missed hundreds if not thousands of great deals.

My saved search now is for a: st120400av

It's the site window on my air compressor.

I saved this search after seeing I missed on of these in Feb. of this year.

MY BAD

If eBay promoted saved searches I think people would be happier eBayers with more successful buys.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Fri Mar 31 07:23:09 2017

They've gotten so far from what made them successful that they will likely never have the momentum that they once had.

Besides, what seller wants to waste time trying to grow a business on a site where it is impossible to do so?

We pretty much know that selling limits were put in place to keep a certain group of sellers down in favor of large enterprise sellers.  The same goes for their "can't see me" search.

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Fri Mar 31 13:10:44 2017

Since DAY ONE, there is a MAJOR FLAW in the bidding routine.
If a bidder's high bid is $100 and he beats out a bidder who's high bid was 66.99, the winning bid will be $67.00. The winning bid SHOULD BE $100. That's how REAL auctions work.
In the REAL WORLD,  a bidder holds up his paddle and says "$66.99". I hold up My Paddle and say, "$100.00". SOLD for $100.
FIX IT !

by: 27tcle This user has validated their user name.

Fri Mar 31 14:37:40 2017

@the end.. AMEN!

This user has validated their user name. by: RKTOYS

Fri Mar 31 15:36:09 2017

We'll see.  I just relisted 100 auctions that had 100 watchers between them but 0 sales.  Meanwhile, Amazon, which I'd practically abandoned, sold an item almost every day this week.

by: Snapped This user has validated their user name.

Fri Mar 31 20:40:43 2017

''It probably seemed like a small thing for whoever it was who decided to move the feature, but it's a lesson to all of us to be mindful that making even the smallest of changes can have negative consequences.''

There it is.  THE root of what is essentially a systemic fault across the board for all of eBay's 'improvements'.  Someone (anyone, from the HMFOC on down) grows a wild hair from their justify my job follicle, then tosses it into the pot without so much as a taste test.  And serves it cold.

Renderng a clear message to their members: Eat me.  Like it or not.

by: Ebay Seller-Ebay Buyer This user has validated their user name.

Fri Mar 31 21:48:10 2017

An annoying change by ebay.  I liked the didn't win page as a reminder of what I lost to search for the item again.  The people running ebay obviously do not buy much on ebay.  On a sidenote, the seller hub is a nightmare

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Sat Apr 1 13:33:55 2017

The core problem is management arrogance.

They are so convinced that THEIR methods and policies will achieve their goals that they are blind to the abject failures they produce.

They also live in a universe of "alternative facts" and dissociated realities.

by: mcposty This user has validated their user name.

Sun Apr 2 21:36:11 2017

Ebay doesn't care about bids or sales. It's obvious. When a company can make a million a week on something like way fair but struggle to make a million on ebay you know they could care less about sales. Unless yer Chinese then they bow to you.

EBay needs to go NOW

This user has validated their user name. by: bitbybit

Mon Apr 3 00:51:26 2017

If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

Sure eBay makes tons of money from advertising for way fair and all the other big retailers but if buyers aren't around to see the ads, then what's the point?
Sure, right now,this minute,day, week, quarter..These corporate goons have the attention span of a gnat. Their short term greed-based thinking holds a bleak outlook unless they start focusing on the future growth of eBay. Too late and fat chance.

by: a_c_green This user has validated their user name.

Wed Apr 5 11:20:00 2017

@The End:
> Since DAY ONE, there is a MAJOR FLAW in the bidding routine.
> If a bidder's high bid is $100 and he beats out a bidder whose
> high bid was 66.99, the winning bid will be $67.00.

Actually the winning bid will be $67.99. The sniper's bid was more than one full increment above the current price, so the price will rise to the previous high bid, plus one increment.

> The winning bid SHOULD BE $100. That's how REAL auctions work.
> In the REAL WORLD,  a bidder holds up his paddle and says
> ''$66.99''. I hold up My Paddle and say, ''$100.00''. SOLD for $100.

That type of bidding is called Open Outcry, but that's not how eBay auctions run.

by: a_c_green This user has validated their user name.

Wed Apr 5 16:09:25 2017

@27tcle:
> It does not help that a lot of AUCTIONS actually end up to
> 30 seconds before the timer has counted down to zero. I know they
> do this because i have won several listings at minimum bid
> and watched the timer keep going when the item has ended.

Where exactly are you seeing a timer ''keep going when the item has ended''? As the timer counts down to zero, what does it do to ''keep going'' after that? Go negative and start counting up? I'd be curious to see what you're seeing.

There is one place I know of where a timing mismatch can occur: the Bell icon in the upper right corner of your eBay page, where alerts get posted. That one appears to do its time calculations off the user's machine clock, not eBay's time source, and so if your machine is running fast, it can tell you that a given auction has ended already when in fact it is still active. Does that resemble what you're seeing?