Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Mon Feb 13 2017 20:21:00

eBay Overcharges Sellers Due to Glitch

eBay sellers are encountering a costly glitch this week - costly to sellers, that is. As one reader explained, "When relisting items, can't turn off the Gallery Plus feature for store items ($1.00 fee) and auctions (.35 fee), regardless of whether listing in bulk or individually. I experienced this today, but caught it. Never used to happen. Can't work around it."

Sellers are discussing the issue on this thread and others on the eBay discussion board.

eBay's System Status Board has a "Listing" warning and links to this page where it states:

Today at 04:45PM PST We are actively working to resolve the issues related to service disruption on Listing. Please continue to visit this page for updates.

Today at 04:00PM PST We are aware of a service disruption related to Listing, and are looking into the situation. This page will be updated as we know more.

It's not clear if that problem is related to the Gallery Plus glitch or is something else entirely.

Sellers should be sure to check if this problem is happening to their listings and report it to eBay - otherwise this glitch has the potential to be quite costly.

Perminate Link for eBay Overcharges Sellers Due to Glitch   eBay Overcharges Sellers Due to Glitch

This user has validated their user name. by: Bill

Mon Feb 13 23:53:30 2017

It was a glitch in the loading of items from 3rd party hosts. I was loading my usual daily dozen that were going automatically from Auctiva. The first listing posted at 1:00 PM CST fine but the next listing at 1:30 did not load the gallery image and only one photo in the listing and it happened on the next 11 the same way. I had eBay call me this evening after I noticed that 11 gallery images were not showing. The caller admitted there was a glitch and had the tech people fix it, which they did, but the other pictures were not showing. I then started to add the other pictures to the listings. As I got through with the first one I noticed my balance was $11.00 higher then it should be (I always keep track of my balance since I have had ghost charges in the past) and sure enough the gallery plus box was checked (Auctiva does not even have the option for gallery plus).
I went to my account and saw that the fee was charged for each of the 11 listings and it happened at the time the "tech" people fixed the listings (nice fix!).
I then had eBay call me again and fortunately that person knew what was going on and had the charges reversed.
After 2 hours had passed I finally finished adding the pictures and unchecking the galley plus boxes. I checked another listing from the day before and found there was no galley plus box checked.

Just another glitch for the day at eBay but everyone should check their accounts to make sure they were not charged.

by: Frank F This user has validated their user name.

Tue Feb 14 10:35:01 2017

When listing on Sunday, the Bolded Title was mysteriously checked and charged me $4 for 2 listings till I noticed it! Ridiculous, called ebay and got a foreign rep that told me they would call me back (yeah right!).. I asked for a supervisor and they understood what I was asking and they credited the $8 to my account.

Just wonder how many people are duped and unknowingly are paying these egregious fees..

Geez, your items are not even seen why in the world would you pay these high charges for worthless listing upgrades. Ebay needs a setting to deactivate them entirely for the account!

by: RL15 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Feb 14 11:21:02 2017

another fleabay glitch!! what a surprise said no one!!

funny that all the glitch's always negatively impact sellers and not fleabay.

glitch by design?

by: papergoy This user has validated their user name.

Tue Feb 14 12:45:26 2017

I noticed it yesterday on magazines- I could not get it turned off on a magazine listing, and had to try to list a couple of times until it finally was off (had to restart the entire process each time).  But once it was off, if I listed a second magazine, it stayed off.  Just listed other stuff- problem solved.

by: 27tcle This user has validated their user name.

Tue Feb 14 15:18:09 2017

Anyone notice these glitches always seem to favor ebay finacially? WTH?

by: mushroomcathy This user has validated their user name.

Tue Feb 14 15:19:44 2017

Happened to me today. Just got off the phone with eBay.  I couldn't uncheck the Gallery Plus feature for pictures when listing items.  It kept charging me the $.35 for the Gallery Plus features even though I had it unchecked.  The CSR said it is a "known glitch" and I have to start using the "old format" to list with.  She changed it while I was on the phone.  Someone else told me there is a way around it, you save it as a DRAFT, and pull it back up and it takes care of it.  I am using the old system to list now so I don't have to go through all of those hoops.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Tue Feb 14 15:37:21 2017

@27tcle

No they don't.  There have been glitches that lean in other directions, they just don't get as much air time as those that favor Ebay.

There was a glitch just a month or two ago that listing fees were not being charged to some sellers.

There are some glitches that don't have any financial impact on sellers or Ebay.

But of course most of the glitches that do affect someone financially are in Ebay's favor in the beginning.  However once resolved the seller is typically reimbursed for whatever happened.  So it isn't like Ebay keeps the windfall.

by: mindelec This user has validated their user name.

Wed Feb 15 01:46:17 2017

@Bill

it's not just a 3rd party problem.  today i listed with the SYI form in collectibles comics which gives gallery plus for free, when i did a sell similar and switched categories to the books fiction category, even though i unchecked it, it was still showing the fee.  i was able to fix it by just starting a fresh listing in books fiction.

by: Windkissed This user has validated their user name.

Wed Feb 15 08:52:01 2017

Are we sure its a glitch?

by: uppercutknives This user has validated their user name.

Wed Feb 15 09:37:45 2017

They claim a glitch. When actually it's probably more poor programming. Or possibly a way for ebay to temporary boost its bank account and pad numbers for shareholders. And keep the money of those unknowing sellers who won't ever notice they have been overcharged. Just another nail in the coffin as ebay alienates its sellers who bring its buyers.

by: minnie This user has validated their user name.

Wed Feb 15 10:36:54 2017

mindelecis correct.  Gallery Plus if FREE in 4 categories: Art, Antiques, Collectibles and Glass & Pottery.  If you list in one of those categories, and then you use SELL SIMILAR, but change to a category that does NOT have free Gallery Plus, you will be charged the Gallery Plus feature.

This little glitch has been in place for years.  Have no idea why ebay has not fixed it yet.

I sell in Collectibles, so my listings always get free Gallery Plus.  The one time I used another category, I was charged $1.00 (because I have a store and list for 30 days).  Duh!  I forgot about that little glitch!

by: BigMama This user has validated their user name.

Wed Feb 15 11:38:10 2017

This happened to me last year.  They started charging me some kind of fee for listing on foreign sites. Had to go thru 3 people before finally getting a refund.  I wondered then if it wasn't a 'planned' fee...to where if you didn't notice it was just extra revenue for ebay.  Peggy

by: userfish This user has validated their user name.

Wed Feb 15 12:33:59 2017

Not everyone has the time to call eBay over this ripoff so I am hoing they will credit my account for the extras they have been charging

by: mindelec This user has validated their user name.

Thu Feb 16 00:14:29 2017

@minnie

this is a different glitch, i unchecked the box, yet it still showed the fee at the bottom.

by: sellerchick This user has validated their user name.

Thu Feb 16 16:39:30 2017

Noticed this while trying to bulk re-list items that failed relisting with my automation rules.

Went to bulk edit, edit fields, listing upgrades, then selected on all three choices "remove for all"

I had to do it MULTIPLE times before the little blue FEE amount at the corner of the page returned to 0.00 from $35!