Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Sun Dec 17 2017 19:58:45

Annual Online Marketplace Awards Nominations Now Open

You've heard of the Peoples Choice Awards - ecommerce has the annual Sellers Choice awards now in its 9th year, where sellers have the opportunity to rank and rate the online marketplaces on which they sell.

We're opening up the nominations process today - choose up to 5 marketplaces, and we'll use your answers to determine the finalists. (Write-ins are welcome - let us know where you are selling!)

Here is a link to the survey:

Once we tally the nominations, you'll be able to rate the top-10 nominated marketplaces beginning January 13th, and we'll publish the results of your ratings and reviews in February for all to see.

This is your opportunity to let online marketplaces know how they're doing in a range of areas - ecommerce marketplaces pay strict attention to the awards when they're handed out each year!

Make sure the marketplaces you'd like to review are included in the final voting by nominating them now through the Survey Monkey poll, which will remain open through January 8th.

Perminate Link for Annual Online Marketplace Awards Nominations Now Open   Annual Online Marketplace Awards Nominations Now Open

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Sun Dec 17 20:13:28 2017

I nominate eBay

It's the only online place I sell.

Been an active full time seller on eBay for almost 20 years.

It's not for the meek, weak or kind hearted! ~ It's a tough way to make a living. . .

This user has validated their user name. by: DeathFromAbove

Sun Dec 17 23:39:19 2017

Want to nominate bonanza, but they haven't sent me one order in December.  Like they just disappeared and buyers are still addicted to increasingly tyrannical eBay.  We're all going to be lovin' those automatically accepted returns coming up.  Sigh.

by: vin-ven This user has validated their user name.

Sun Dec 17 23:43:31 2017

Nominating Ruby Lane. Don't agree with some of their policies and strategies, but they are still a good marketplace for items in all price ranges.

by: Floria This user has validated their user name.

Mon Dec 18 00:11:27 2017

Etsy is the best

by: tiastreasures This user has validated their user name.

Mon Dec 18 00:16:06 2017

I nominate ebid.net

I've been with them over eight years

by: BobNJ This user has validated their user name.

Mon Dec 18 00:56:48 2017

I was on eBay from when it started but have since moved to Delcampe for collectibles and have sold more items there in the last year than what I sold in all the years on eBay combined. So I would definitely nominate Delcampe. It is definitely THE place for collectibles even though it doesn't get much press. In my category there are over 11,000 items listed on Delcampe while there are only 400-500 on eBay. Plus I can run my store the way I want, set my own rules, cancel sales at any time, take trades or sales off site, etc., etc. Everything is the way eBay used to be!

by: Jester This user has validated their user name.

Mon Dec 18 01:02:07 2017

I nominate Amazon. In my 5 years selling on Amazon, I have made more money this year on Amazon than any other year if you add eBay, Etsy and Amazon together. Just in the last 30 days on Amazon I have made more than the last 7 months combined on my 4 eBay accounts. I am going to down grade my store or end it entirely and eventually quit eBay unless something changes by May 2018.

As an experiment I put the same items on eBay and Amazon for sale at the same time and started them at the same price. All the Amazon items sold in less than 3 months. 5% of the items sold on eBay. I lowered the prices several times on ebay and ended up selling about 20% of those items at half the price I did on Amazon. I took the rest and sent them into Amazon last month and they all sold in less than 30 days at even higher prices than I had listed them for in the first place. Ebay throttles to much and my sales have had diminishing return percentages the more I listed.

by: Studiolines This user has validated their user name.

Mon Dec 18 02:29:12 2017

ETSY gets my nomination. Fairly new with them but very happy so far. Get to keep a much larger portion of my sales with a whole lot less aggravation. No Fees on shipping. Sold on Ebay for 18 years and the last year nearly drove me over the edge. I can only hope ETSY does not take the road that Ebay took. Etsy does need more categories for vintage and antiques.
Their Pattern stand alone web store allows less than vintage (20 year-old) items for a nominal monthly fee and is integrated with Etsy.
Phone Customer Service is to be added in 2018 , hopefully it will not be CS agents that receive bonuses to torment sellers like Ebay.

by: Momcat55 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Dec 18 06:56:30 2017

Music gear.

Absolutely the BEST in every way

by: Momcat55 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Dec 18 06:57:53 2017

Sorry.....

by: dsrothpan This user has validated their user name.

Mon Dec 18 07:36:57 2017

I nominate Ruby Lane.  I've been on Ruby Lane for over 5 years with increasing sales per year.  Fabulous customer service!

This user has validated their user name. by: blueribbon1844

Mon Dec 18 07:46:26 2017

ecrater

by: lil_nitelite This user has validated their user name.

Mon Dec 18 08:02:02 2017

I nominate Toucandeal. New site trying to combat the Ebay/Amz monopoly!!

This user has validated their user name. by: eXtinctBay

Mon Dec 18 09:54:34 2017

Notice how only ONE poster here is nominating eBay (of course- it's the GUY!).

As in past years, though, they will likely win with less than 7 on a 10 scale. Unless Bonanza (are they still in business?) bribes its few users to ''stuff the ballot box''.

The survey proves every time that there is much room for improvement for any and all online sales sites.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Mon Dec 18 10:10:27 2017

The problem with a lot of the other sites you are limited to what you can list!

Ruby Lane is for art only

Delcampe is for for coins, stamps & paper products

Reverb is for musical instruments

Etsy is for arts & crafts (but I do see empty cartridges, something eBay doesn't allow)

eBay is for (almost) EVERYTHING!

by: vintageartisan This user has validated their user name.

Mon Dec 18 11:54:23 2017

toolguy stated above that Ruby Lane is for "art only" This is not the case, in fact, Fine Art is one of their smaller categories. The largest is Jewelry. You can sell pretty much anything that is antique or vintage. In jewelry you can sell antique, vintage and artisan jewelry but the artisan jewelry must be made by the shop owner, not wholesale items or mass produced handcrafted jewelry. . Recently they made a change to the guidelines for Vintage Collectibles and shop owners can now list true collectibles that are at least a year old. Prior to the change vintage collectibles items had to be 20 years or older. They have guidelines for the site and each lane but they are primarily to keep fakes and items that are restricted from being sold in the US or by state, for example, ivory, off the site.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Mon Dec 18 12:15:30 2017

@vintageartisan

Jewelry is a form of art.

Can I sell my piston for a Briggs and Stratton motor or a deep sump pump on Ruby Lane?

How about my Remington 870 wood stock or new blades for my Norelco shaver?

Ruby Lane is VERY limited when it comes to items in the world in which we live in. . .

This user has validated their user name. by: BuildingMyOwnSite

Mon Dec 18 12:22:48 2017

@toolguy said: Ruby Lane is for art only.

These Are Basic, Broad Ranging Ruby Lane Searches This Morning:
● Jewelry: 244,818 listings — Highest is $198,000.00
● Furniture: 19,270 Listings — Highest is $500,000.00
● Stickley: 201 Listings — Highest Is $16,987.00
● Piano: 501 Listings — Highest Is $140,000,000.00
● Doll: 45,608 Lisings — Highest Is $42,000.00
● Coin: 5,616 Listings — Highest Is $892,500.00
● Stained Glass: 470 — Highest is $250,000.00

@toolguy said: Etsy is for arts and crafts.

All of the above can alsy be found on Exsy, but I won't bother with similar searches, because apparently you have never gone to etsy.

This user has validated their user name. by: BuildingMyOwnSite

Mon Dec 18 12:44:26 2017

I said above: ''Broad Ranging..... Searches''

Meaning searches returned, that have a broad ranging keyword in the title, or title tags.  (if you in fact trust the Exsy search engine at all).    But Exsy has lousy taxonomy, and not all sellers will use those keywords in their listings.  ALL THOSE SEARCHES have FAR, FAR MORE listings, than are returned in just a Broad Keyword Search.

This user has validated their user name. by: BuildingMyOwnSite

Mon Dec 18 12:48:55 2017

OOPs!!!
Piano on Ruby Lane should have been $140,000.00
(Not $140,000,000.00)  Sorry, Sorry, Sorry.....