Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Sun Dec 3 2017 14:37:52

eBay Seeks Auctions but Beware of Promo Start Date

eBay threw sellers off guard by the timing of a new promotion designed to entice them to list in the auction format. Invitations went out today, Sunday, but the promotion kicks off tomorrow, Monday, December 4, 2017.

A reader described their experience as follows:

"I'd like to share what was a new one on me: This morning, 12-03-2017, I received an eBay message offering me 500 free auction style listings. I accepted the offer, as it seemed like other offers I had received, and then I was invited by eBay to begin listing right way.

"However, here's the catch: The offer never showed up on my main page as a current promotion. After carefully re-reading the promotion, I discovered that it does not go into effect until TOMORROW, 12-04-2017.

"I'm glad I did not hit the sell button, renewing 200 listings that I falsely expected to be free right away, especially when invited to begin selling immediately, it seems like a trick.

"I think it's just another clever ruse by the architects at eBay, once again not being completely up front in their dealings with sellers, but leaving themselves a loop-hole to avoid prosecution."

Sellers also talked about the promotion on the eBay discussion boards. One seller said recipients of the invitation were lucky to get advance warning so they could prepare listings ahead of time. Another said they wished the promotion applied to fixed-price listings. And another seller wrote, "This is the poorest time of the year to offer auction format" and said it had been the worst holiday season they had ever experienced - "People are not even buying new items that are selling at 75% below retail."

If you received the promotion, be sure to read the fine print, and let us know what you think.

UPDATE 12/3/17: A reader mentioned another eBay promotion in the comments below and sent the following screenshot (thanks!).

Perminate Link for eBay Seeks Auctions but Beware of Promo Start Date   eBay Seeks Auctions but Beware of Promo Start Date

by: FeelingFroggy This user has validated their user name.

Sun Dec 3 15:41:13 2017

And long ago it was said that tricky dicky was tricky. Ebay gives new meaning to tricky.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Sun Dec 3 16:01:09 2017

We as sellers have an obligation to ourselves if no one else to read EVERY WORD in an ebafia promotion email. If the email stated the promotion begins December 4, it doesn't seem like a trick to me.

I have to agree with board poster that this is the wrong time of the year to incentivize auctions. Post Christmas/Channukah/Festivus auctions make much sense to me to take advantage of holiday gift money buyers received and help sellers get rid of long tail or overstocked items.

Common sense is an absent commodity in SJ.

Until The Ho took over, every year was more profitable than the previous year. Since then, every year -- including Q4s -- has been less profitable than the previous one despite the fact that I'm TSR and this year have more listings than ever of quality merchandise.

Devin filled my cart with hot air.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Sun Dec 3 18:13:44 2017

I received the offer.

It states in small print on the 1st page that it starts on Dec 4th

When you activate it, it not only states it starts Dec 4th but does so TWICE on that page! It deceiving but it's as clear as can be when it starts.

If you're unaware of what date it is today you might be in for a surprise!

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Sun Dec 3 18:48:16 2017

eBay is telling my customers I DON'T ship to the UNITED STATES!

When the fact is I ONLY ship items within the United States.

I have a customer who CAN'T pay his invoice for 6 items in his cart. . .

I'M IN SHOCK & AWE RIGHT NOW

This user has validated their user name. by: bitbybit

Sun Dec 3 19:43:10 2017

Ebay has another promotion with 50% off final fees on 10 items sold. The promo shows it is for 3 Days ending Dec 4 BUT in my eBay it shows it starts Dec 2 and ends Dec 3.

Is eBay trying to keep all sellers receiving these offers in a total state of confusion or is it eBay that doesn't know if it is coming or going? Doesn't anyone at eBay proofread?

This user has validated their user name. by: bitbybit

Sun Dec 3 19:45:41 2017

And obviously eBay can't count. THREE DAYS! What idiots!

This user has validated their user name. by: bitbybit

Sun Dec 3 19:48:34 2017

Ina, I took screenshots. Just let me know if you want me to send them to you.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ina

Sun Dec 3 20:03:42 2017

@bitbybit  - sure, please feel free to email screenshots to ina@ecommercebytes.com - thank you.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ina

Sun Dec 3 20:04:55 2017

@toolguy sorry to hear you're experiencing issues, please feel free to report on Ecommerce EKG:

This user has validated their user name. by: Ina

Sun Dec 3 20:42:50 2017

@bitbybit - thanks for the screenshot showing another promotion eBay is running, I've inserted it at the bottom of the post (above). Thanks!

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Sun Dec 3 21:31:17 2017

EBAY > A stark reminder that MONEY is more precious than what you can buy with it.

by: eBay Shill Buster This user has validated their user name.

Sun Dec 3 23:04:54 2017

eBay executives are wasting time, on top of all their blunders of Structured Data, Seller Hub, ruining MyeBay with the new pages they are trying to force on us in that interface, Promoted Listings and that terrible 'New eBay Shopping experience, they do dumb promotions like this, giving away free auctions that no one even wants.

This is like putting a bag of trash on the curb thinking someone is going to pull over and take it home with them.

NO ONE WANTS YOUR AUCTIONS DEVIN, doing stupid things over and over is the reason eBay sales are flat and why sellers are losing interest in eBay and are closing stores they can't pay for any longer.

by: 1st Armored Div. 1971-1973 This user has validated their user name.

Sun Dec 3 23:53:58 2017

Actually I think ebay did a good job. You got the notice early so you could plan on what you were going to do. I normally do not get the notice until the sale has already started.

As always with ebay promo's you have to read the fine-print. Just standard operating procedure.

by: imbloated This user has validated their user name.

Mon Dec 4 00:01:17 2017

The offer says "learn more" that takes one to a new page, when the main points would easily fit onto the same page. "Seems like a trick?" Of course it is a trick!

by: Jester This user has validated their user name.

Mon Dec 4 00:03:54 2017

After years of selling on eBay I am pulling many of my items off eBay. I may completely stop selling as I sell of my remaining stock. Selling with no profits is not a good business model. The traffic stinks. My sales on Amazon are tremendous and growing.

by: debranator This user has validated their user name.

Mon Dec 4 00:17:21 2017

to tool guy.
This glitch happened to me a couple months ago.
Although I am in florida it showed that I shipped out of Canada.
After talking to about 5 dum dums I was finally transferred to someone that understood what I was saying.
When these strange things happen on the bay..and it is one of many that have to me...
It is hard for them to understand what you are saying..
also if you go to try and buy something...it will say that it cannot be shipped to you as you are overseas.
you will have to call them.
it took about 5 hours for me to get it fixed.

by: smallstuff This user has validated their user name.

Mon Dec 4 00:19:22 2017

No such offer in my inbox.  I feel left out.  I agree with the others that this is really the wrong time to launch an auction.  I have converted almost all of my listings to fixed price with best offer.  No shortage of sales as November was an all time record for me.

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Dec 4 03:39:57 2017

I just activated my offer, thanks for the heads up! although, I don't have 500 items to list!!!! LMAO.
I read that 88% of Ebay's sales were fixed price, so I'm guessing since it's the "auction" site, that it's trying to get more people interested in auctions.  Most of my sales are fixed price/best offer.

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Dec 4 03:40:36 2017

@small stuff -- you can tweet your dissatisfaction to @askebay.

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Dec 4 03:42:05 2017

BTW, yesterday I saw my FIRST Ebay National TV ad on ABC.  It was quite short, but caught my attention.  I think it's called "check Ebay."