Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Tue Sept 27 2016 17:06:53

Is eBay Planning to Reduce TRS Discount?

A reader sent us the following email with a screenshot showing eBay advertising a reduced TRS discount. We sent an inquiry to eBay and have yet to hear back.

"I just received my weekly activity report from eBay and while I'm already a top rated seller, I couldn't help but notice it reads: "TIP Once you're an eBay Top-rated Seller, you'll increase your visibility in Best Search results and get a 10% discount on your final value fees.""

The seller wondered the report indicated eBay could be planning to reduce the discount Top Rated Sellers receive on eligible listings. "Could it be the previous 20% TRS FVF discount is being reduced? The eBay web site still says 20%," he noted.

Have you checked your weekly activity report from eBay? Let us know what you see.

If it does reduce the discount, it would be the equivalent of a big fee increase for some eBay sellers - but don't panic yet - we'll update this post once we hear back from eBay.

Update 9/28/16: eBay spokesperson Ryan Moore has pinpointed the source of the confusion. "The 10% TRS reference was specific to those customers in UK and Germany, where that is the current discount rate. We'll make that more clear in subsequent emails sent to this group."

Perminate Link for Is eBay Planning to Reduce TRS Discount?   Is eBay Planning to Reduce TRS Discount?

by: I Must be Crazy This user has validated their user name.

Tue Sep 27 17:26:27 2016

It wouldn't surprise me in the least. I think it's inevitable and have expected a reduction in the discount since the requirements to become top rated were changed. I think TRS is much easier to attain now making the designation more widely available and less meaningful. On a more cynical note, the increased revenue is an easy target for a company that can only grow sales by 1 percent a year.

by: ebay refugee camp This user has validated their user name.

Tue Sep 27 17:38:44 2016

Welcome to increase the execs bonus checks. They have no soul and our truly nothing but criminals who are protected by the congressman, senators and judges they have bribed

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Tue Sep 27 17:44:58 2016

Not in my weekly activity report.

However, this will likely be The Devil's latest scheme to "re connect" with small sellers.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Sep 27 18:02:03 2016

I dont get it anyway since Im a No Returns seller .......

Nothing surprises me though - its always something to cheat the Seller

BUT.. lets see what happens (ie when Ina gets a response from eBay)

This user has validated their user name. by: Ina

Tue Sep 27 19:35:08 2016

Someone points out that it's strange it says "Best Search" results and not "Best Match" search results.

Still no word from eBay.

by: Volvo351 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Sep 27 19:35:25 2016

What? Make trained seals jump through hoops, then toss 'em just HALF a sardine? Sure sounds like S.O.P. for feeBay!

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Tue Sep 27 21:30:52 2016

Sellers have been predicting for years that eBay would do away with the TRS discount since they've exhausted all the other ways to increase revenue. If eBay raised listing fees again the sellers would be incensed.

This user has validated their user name. by: LasVagueness

Tue Sep 27 23:46:54 2016

As any ‘millionaire next door’ will tell you, economic dribbles and drabs can have a powerful cumulative effect over time. Whether jumping through hurdles for the TRS is worth it for some, for others the cumulative rewards are worth the bother. Who else understands dribbles and drabs? The pencil pushers at eBay.

by: hzATL This user has validated their user name.

Wed Sep 28 00:09:20 2016

I was a bit sad to lose the original Top Rated Seller 20% FVF discount some time back but I was only sad for a minute or two. When eBay changed the requirements for the discount to mandatory same business day shipping and offering returns so I could be called a Top Rated Seller Plus I immediately said goodby to the ''discount'' and am quite happy I did. I sell John Hardy, David Yurman and other well known designer jewelry on eBay. I have no desire to be in the ''rent a jewel'' business where a buyer can wear an item and have 6 months to return it. For me there is no discount worth the hassle of having to hold money in escrow for 6 months on the off chance a buyer wants to return an item. I might be all wet but it just seems to me no eBay FVF discount is worth the hassles tied to it.

by: blaumann2 This user has validated their user name.

Wed Sep 28 02:24:09 2016

This would give me a reason to give up the TRS game

by: FeelingFroggy This user has validated their user name.

Wed Sep 28 05:24:38 2016

Gee the carrot is starting to wilt. Whatever will those carrot jumpers do.

This user has validated their user name. by: mcfiver

Wed Sep 28 05:46:20 2016

10%? Ha! They've already taken our hard-earned 20%. Because we don't offer returns with their 30-day return window, we lost our FF fee discount years ago, even though we continue to maintain a Top Rated seller status. They did this by adding tier qualifications to the TRS status, essentially ending the incentive. We maintain the highest seller standards in spite of their disrespect and maltreatment.

by: angryllama This user has validated their user name.

Wed Sep 28 07:02:21 2016

Here is THE TEXT from yesterday's eBay to my eMail account : TIP Once you're an eBay Top-rated Seller, you’ll increase your visibility in Best Search results and get a 10% discount on your final value fees. :  This is interesting for 3 reasons, 2 of which have been discussed. Best SEARCH rather than Best MATCH... and the 10 percent discount reference.  The THIRD interesting thing is that this message / report was TAILORED and SPECIFICALLY for me..... yet it says " Once you're an eBay Top-rated Seller, "   Ummmm I've been a Top Rated Seller for YEARS and YEARS... BECOME?  I think this whole kerfluffle might just be because they assigned the Least Experience NEW KID to write this one.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Wed Sep 28 07:09:35 2016

Take more, give less.......that's the eBay we all know.

eBay hasn't felt like a business partner for many years.

10% now, 0% later. They are masters at mission creep.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Wed Sep 28 07:38:52 2016

I'm curious about the "best search" reference.  I hope more news will come out about this.  Sellers (and buyers) have been complaining about "Best Match" for a long time.

What I want to know is, if they change the term "Best Match" to "Best Search", are they simply changing the name or are they actually changing the way search works.  If they change the name solely based on the fact that sellers (and many buyers) view it negatively but don't change the search function, it's the same old search with a different name.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Wed Sep 28 09:06:06 2016

For only a 10% discount I would have to rethink my position on the TRS program.

If they implement this I'm not sure if shipping in 1 day and taking 30 day returns is worth a measly 10%.

It won't be Fast & Free anymore and handling time just went from 1 day to 3 days and back to 14 day return window.

I myself think the letter was a FAKE. . .

by: geministuff28 This user has validated their user name.

Wed Sep 28 09:09:32 2016

OK maybe I am totally missing something here & have reread this 3 times now...

OP's original post quoting the message from EBAY..

I was a TOP RATED "PLUS" seller for 4 years & received the 20% discount on my FVF totals...

Fast forward to the "changing" of the rules to needing to accept the 30 day returns to maintain the TRS discounts.
I hung in even with this until I received 2 back to back returns, both because "it didn't fit" (I sell clothing)

Even though the buyer in both cases had to return the item on their own dime (they had to pay return postage because it was not a SNAD return) I still had to refund them for the full amount including the shipping..
They get a full refund but I'm still out the original postage..

It was then that I decided to throw in the towel on the whole TRS & not accept returns...

When I lost the "badge" & ultimately the 20% discount, I still remained a TOP RATED SELLER..

So, again, unless I'm missing something in the OP, it only says...

An EBAY TOP RATED SELLER not an EBAY TOP RATED "PLUS" SELLER...

Just an observation...

by: Bethofvt This user has validated their user name.

Wed Sep 28 09:28:03 2016

This is not referring to the TRS discount that has to be earned on qualifying sales.  This is referring to the immediate 10% discount on ALL TRS get when the FVF goes from 10% to 9%. the 20% discount is on top of this, but only if earned by meeting defect standards, shipping standards, and offering 30 day returns.

by: gizmo This user has validated their user name.

Wed Sep 28 10:19:46 2016

TRS is a joke. Ebay is a pig latin joke. Originally EB & flo. TRS has no place in my world. If I want to flush my money , Ill use the john.

by: DVDsandMore This user has validated their user name.

Wed Sep 28 11:00:23 2016

Bethofvt, I can't find any reference to fees going from 10% to 9% for TRS.  Fees go from 10% to 9% or less if you have a store, but that's no related to TRS.