Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Sat Sept 24 2016 21:18:48

Check Your PayPal Settings on eBay - Right Now

It's practically mandatory for sellers to accept PayPal payments on eBay, but some sellers are discovering that their settings have been changed not to accept PayPal payments.

A video began making the rounds today describing the problem and showing how sellers can check their settings - you can find it on YouTube under the name ThriftSchool.

Some sellers commenting on the YouTube video and on industry boards say that when they check, they discover their settings are also set to no, meaning they don't accept PayPal on eBay. But others sellers say their settings are fine.

On Wednesday, a seller described an issue that sounds like the identical problem:

"A purchaser placed an offer on an item I had, which I accepted. They then said they were unable to pay via PayPal. It looks like my settings in Account -> Site Preferences were not marked to allow PayPal, which I switched to offer as a payment method on my listings. They are still unable to pay via PayPal."

A buyer posted a message today that said they were unable to pay a seller - and that problem sounds similar to one of two problems covered in this blog post from July.

Check your settings and let us know what you find and if you believe your sales may have been affected. We'll be sending this blog post to our contacts at eBay and PayPal to see if we can get answers.

Perminate Link for Check Your PayPal Settings on eBay - Right Now   Check Your PayPal Settings on eBay - Right Now

by: phantom This user has validated their user name.

Sat Sep 24 23:01:58 2016

A week ago, ebay changed by settings for Require immediate payments on buy now auctions from on to off.  One cannot trust ebay system any more, you have to double check everything all the time.  The death spiral  continues at ebay.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Sun Sep 25 09:31:03 2016

It just never stops. I want to laugh but it just isn't funny.

A multi-billion dollar company should not have these on-going issues.  The buck stops with the C-level management.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Sun Sep 25 10:33:53 2016

I checked my eBay settings and all is well as usual. . .

Thanks for the heads up, it would be a problem if Paypal wasn't being accepted.

by: queenfloraday This user has validated their user name.

Sun Sep 25 10:59:37 2016

My account was affected and went in to change it. Thanks!

Also pages of eBay as well as this site are showing that the site or page is not secure. My eBay  is secure but if I go to search or to my store, those pages are not secure. Bonanza site not secure. I ran Malware removal, didn't help. I have Windows 7 on laptop. I use Chrome but showed up on other browsers the same.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Sun Sep 25 11:52:50 2016

Another day, another eBay glitch.

I guess the Bulgarian hackers on ebays used DEC pdp11's went outfit a smoke break!

Money that went to the Devin Memorial San Jose Rest/Welcome area should have gone to better equipment and personnel ...... But hey, if you can use seller money to brag about yourself, what good is it?

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Sun Sep 25 16:15:12 2016

My settings are fine.  I can't imagine this would be a glitch Ebay would ignore as it would cost them a lot of money to do because of lost sales.

by: Nuts2U This user has validated their user name.

Sun Sep 25 18:36:35 2016

eBay's DEC PDP 11s! lolololol! Are you sure they're not PDP 8s?

Thanks for making my day, pace306!

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Sun Sep 25 21:59:00 2016

Nuts - knowing eBay, all our urser data is still being stored on 8" floppies .....

by: SoniaD This user has validated their user name.

Sun Sep 25 23:21:22 2016

Thank You!  I checked and my Paypal was "Off".

I simply cannot believe how absolutely awful the tech side of eBay is.  Whenever I list new items, everything that should be "sticky" isn't and everything that shouldn't be (such as BIN) always is.  And they keep on sending me surveys asking what would induce me to list more.  I keep on telling them but nothing ever improves.

by: Bidderboy This user has validated their user name.

Sun Sep 25 23:28:49 2016

My Paypal was switched to "off" on one of my two accounts. THANK YOU ecommercebytes for helping to keep us in the know. How in God's name could something like this occur? ebay owes us an answer.

by: JohnGermaine This user has validated their user name.

Sun Sep 25 23:35:15 2016

You'd think beta testing would be REQUIRED after they hire a bunch of new nerds. Happens every late summer after the latest crop graduates.

by: DVDsandMore This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 26 00:10:59 2016

Thanks.  Mine was set to off, but all my individual listings show it as accepted, and I've been selling, but sales have been slower.  Maybe this was part of it.  (Hey, I can hope.  Leave me alone.)

by: Jester This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 26 00:54:37 2016

My account was fine no problems. But I have noticed when listing on the mobile app that every now and then it changes to no settings to allow PayPal payment. I don't know what would happen if I listed the item like that. If it would auto change my settings on my whole account or just not allow that item to be paid by PayPal. I am wondering if this my be the glitch.

by: unknown This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 26 09:11:27 2016

My head is exploding with this one. If paypal was not checked off, what WAS checked off? Most sellers don't have merchant accounts and without one of them, we're only allowed to accept paypal. Been too many years since I've had database analysis but there 'should be' restrictions on that field requiring it on all  listings so this should just plain ol' never happen. How can this be?

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Mon Sep 26 10:13:10 2016

@unknown

NO it should not be on all listings.

There may be many reasons for not accepting a Paypal payment, like selling a car and having pick up only. You wouldn't want to take a Paypal payment for that kind of transaction.

by: unknown This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 26 10:44:27 2016

@toolguy

Well, yes and no. I forgot about the option to pay on pickup. If you have that checked off, you don't have to have another payment option checked.

But if you don't have pay on pickup and don't have a merchant account, you have to have paypal.

This user has validated their user name. by: RKTOYS

Mon Sep 26 11:39:05 2016

Call these people nerds is an insult to nerds.  Like most websites that are complete basket cases, what they're hiring is UX developers.  Those people know a JavaScript framework or two and spend their time making stuff slide around or fiddling with fonts/borders.  Meanwhile, the functional parts break and stay broken because groupthink declares that programming is too scary.

This user has validated their user name. by: Don Wagner

Mon Sep 26 12:28:10 2016

Just checked my account settings and Offer PayPal was turned off - but I just processed a dozen orders so something at the individual listing level must override it.

by: mushroomcathy This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 26 12:44:07 2016

I have three accounts and I just checked all three--two were changed, one wasn't.  I had two sales this morning and the buyer paid with paypal on the account that had it marked NO.  What's up?

by: Tiffee Jasso This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 26 17:25:24 2016

This might explain how I got a direct sale on Paypal and Ebay was left out of the deal. When I called Ebay I could not get the REP to understand that Ebay did not show the item had sold. I ended the listing myself.