Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Thu Sept 8 2016 12:03:51

Big Glitches Hit PayPal and eBay

PayPal has a major problem that began yesterday - transactions are disappearing, and not only are sellers unable to see payments made by buyers in their accounts, some are actually seeing a decrease in their balance.

"I received three payments in pretty large amounts today, and my PayPal balance has decreased rather than increased," wrote one seller.

"PayPal has a glitch. $32.XX from a transaction disappeared. No withdrawal. No hold. Just gone," wrote another.

Reports began coming in to Ecommerce EKG yesterday.

Adding to sellers' concerns - they're getting different answers from customer service reps about the estimated time of a fix to the problem, according to the reports on DownDetector

We are waiting to hear back from PayPal.

eBay sellers are also reporting a problem related to the PayPal security key. "Can not log into eBay. I use the security key, will not recognize the key, says internal error. Got the eBay temporary code. Still can't log in," according to this Ecommerce EKG report.

A reader told us this morning they've been unable to log in to eBay for 2 days and was told today that it was related to the PayPal security key they purchased years ago:

"The situation is that I had a security key which was bought 10-15 years ago that was through PayPal and connected also to my eBay account. You put in password and then used the key. PayPal deactivated that several months to a year ago but eBay didn't. Now I can't get into my account because my key no longer works! I put in password only and says I have to have code, put in code and says does not work.

"Called eBay this AM and now there is a possibility I can't get into my account for 7 days. I asked if an email could be sent when fixed was told to watch my account announcements! Can't get into account so how am I going to watch for announcements!"

These are major issues, and not surprisingly, we're seeing reports of long holds to get in touch with PayPal customer support.

UPDATE 9/8/16: A PayPal spokesperson provided us with the following information:

"PayPal experienced a brief technical issue last evening during a planned system update which resulted in some consumers being unable to see a transaction in their account history after it had processed. Some merchants may not have received a notification even though the transaction was processed.

"The technical issue has been fixed and PayPal is working to have these transactions reflected accurately for both consumers and merchants.

"We apologize for any inconvenience. Customers can contact PayPal customer support for additional assistance."

Perminate Link for Big Glitches Hit PayPal and eBay   Big Glitches Hit PayPal and eBay

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Thu Sep 8 12:10:49 2016

Apparently The Ho needs more money to finish his lavish northern Cali vacation home.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Thu Sep 8 12:24:09 2016

Ming, you may be correct. It does seem that PayPal started having all of these "glitches" shortly after the Ho arrived.  That magic touch of his is a death blow to business.

This user has validated their user name. by: Indian eBot

Thu Sep 8 12:42:20 2016

My paypal account shows $0 balance after a sale yesterday, so I emailed PP and got this:

''When will I have access to my funds?
If there aren't any issues with your transaction, such as a customer filing a dispute, the payment will move to your available balance with 21 days of receipt. ''

I've had this PP account for 15 years and processed about $2 million with one $300 chargeback two years ago.  No issues.  I was on next day deposit too for years, and now this?

I quit eGay years ago, and now I'm ready to quit PP completely.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Thu Sep 8 12:54:11 2016

Thanks for the tip

Checked our Paypal account and all looks good

Sold 5 items yesterday and got paid for 5 items yesterday.

To those with problems I hope you get them resolved quickly. . .

by: FeelingFroggy This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 8 13:00:54 2016

Oh No Tell me it ain't so????

Its just a typical glitch that one should expect from Sleezebag and paypig. Nothing new.

by: FeelingFroggy This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 8 13:01:49 2016

Of course then again they could be practicing for the big holidays coming up.

by: free2bme This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 8 14:26:20 2016

screen cap transactions. our disappeared completely at one point.

by: free2bme This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 8 14:27:26 2016

2 transactions came up missing. some payments were deducted instead of added in. tallying how much they owe me so far that isn't added to my balance. what a mess...

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Thu Sep 8 15:36:00 2016

There have been a lot of "glitches" at PayPal since JD moved there from eBay.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ina

Thu Sep 8 16:01:49 2016

I provided an update to the post with the statement I received from PayPal.

by: epuise This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 8 19:39:07 2016

Payments rec'd @ 3pm, 4:30pm & 5:30 pm on 09/07 Wed. still show only as 'orders' in PayPal, (w/ fee deducted), & as 'pd' in eBay, but money not avail for use or withdraw. Over 24 hours. Same issue occurred weeks ago. Time to spend some $ on infrastructure.

by: Mongoose This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 8 21:54:48 2016

The 4 items I sold on ebay had issues on PP, th 2 items I sold on Bonanza went right through.  So its an ebay problem.

This user has validated their user name. by: Mercy the Mingless

Thu Sep 8 23:42:22 2016

The PayPal spokesperson lied to Ina.  The ''technical issue'' has not been fixed as of September 8, 8:30 PM PST.

Money is still showing as ''Received'' but remains unavailable more than 24 hours after transaction.

PayPal's customer service has no solution, only saying that PayPal is aware of problem and that it will be fixed.  They do not know when.

Donahoe's cockamamie ''Disruptive Innovation'' at work - time for another golden parachute?

by: I Must be Crazy This user has validated their user name.

Fri Sep 9 13:18:35 2016

Ming is absolutely correct. It seems Paypal was almost glitch free before Dodohoe arrived. What I find fascinating is there is NEVER EVER a problem when it comes time for Ebay to collect their fees every month. On time, every time.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Sat Sep 10 16:28:34 2016

I wouldn't go so far as to say that PreyPal was nearly glitch-free prior to the Coming of The Ho. At least once a year, the email payment notifications would go down.

But since The Ho's ascension to PreyPal Chairman of the Board, PreyPal's glitches have increased.

I couldn't access PreyPal last night (September 9) for more than an hour.

by: dasw This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 12 00:57:28 2016

"...we're seeing reports of long holds to get in touch with PayPal customer support."

When I call I get an answering machine telling me they are not available and to leave my name and number!

by: dasw This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 12 01:08:54 2016

On Friday I had erroneous details on a PayPal transaction and packing slip. Buyer bought 3 $20 items for a total of $60 (one payment). Only one $20 item is listed in the transaction and on the packing slip but the total is correct at $60.
This is starting to worry me....

by: Beth This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 12 07:29:17 2016

To Indian eBot, You've exceeded your release amount.

I've been with Paypal since it was X.com but in June 2016, they informed me my release level is $4500 a month because my selling history is too short. (Ina please see if you can find out the definition "too short from them. )

No amount of talking, cajoling or threatening to quit convinced them.  So?  so not one cent has gone in that account since. I have access to other accounts, NEWER accounts, with higher limits and so my few and far between ebay payments are going there.  And will continue to do so.

AND you can appeal that level but it won't do any good. I was told not to ask again until Sept 25 as the appeals are only reviewed every 90 days.

See ya PP (and yes, I notice more stupidity there is JD took over. )

by: Bidonmine This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 12 09:31:27 2016

I am so glad that my ebay account now only sells an item a couple of times a week (I have long since switched everything to Amazon)

by: Bidonmine This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 12 09:34:37 2016

I have shut down my ebay account TODAY by removing all items from sale (I do not use paypal with any other service). Ebay is no longer a significant part of my sales strategy.
Once this glitch is fixed, I will restart my ebay items.