Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Thu July 14 2016 13:53:15

Saved Searches Net Fewer Finds on eBay?

eBay shoppers are known for setting up searches and adding them to their "Followed Searches" (the same thing as "Saved Searches"). It makes it easy to monitor the marketplace automatically for new items as they come up for sale, so shoppers don't miss out on sought-after items.

But did you know your Followed Searches on eBay expire?

Several readers forwarded emails they received from eBay this morning that said, "We are no longer sending email for (number) followed searches. We've noticed that there are emails you are no longer engaging with. If you want to continue receiving, please follow the steps below."

Instructions were included on how to turn back on the feature to continue receiving email alerts.

The emails eBay sent this morning listed the users' saved searches, and next to each one, it wrote in parenthesis, "No email sent in 1 year," indicating there had been no matches for the past 12 months.

It's one thing for eBay to expire Followed Searches despite the fact it is a great way to connect shoppers with the items they are seeking, whether a rare collectible or a part to a discontinued gadget or appliance that's hard to find.

But we wondered why these searches (12 in all between the two readers) came up empty for the past year. We have no way of knowing if it's a drop in the bucket or an indication people are not listings as many hard to find items as they used to - what do you think?

Perminate Link for Saved Searches Net Fewer Finds on eBay?   Saved Searches Net Fewer Finds on eBay?

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Thu Jul 14 15:23:04 2016

By far, this would be the simplest way in the world for eBay to connect buyers with items that they are actually looking for. Most of us have reasoned that eBay want to show ONLY what buyers ARE NOT looking for in an effort to steer them to their favored enterprise sellers.

If there have been "no matches" in 12 months this means that either eBay is incapable of matching the buyer with items that they are actually looking for, or that sellers of unique items have just moved on. We all know that eBay is filled with items that one can find at any local store....cheap Chinese trinkets and commodities.

That "IT" that you could always find on eBay years ago was buried with the golden goose JD slaughtered.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Thu Jul 14 16:02:07 2016

The newest idea to further alienate good buyers and save server space.

by: gizmo This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 14 16:15:25 2016

I can say , 100% , I am afraid to list my hard to find items on the bay. I get great items from time to time. I cannot put them on ebay. I get glitches that ruin the final sale , or a buzz buyer , or a rip off artists. I cannot deal with all 100% buyers. Its tilted to make me lose money. Why bother?

I think there is in excess , less items. And for good reason , people are smarter than that. Anyone would be crazy , to put a expensive item on this lunatic venue . Too many people getting ripped , in all meanings of the word. NO MORE> "You can find it on ebay" Can you say HISTORY!

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Thu Jul 14 16:19:43 2016

Ebay the desert was Ebay the oasis.
Ebay is over.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Thu Jul 14 17:07:39 2016

I agree with Rexford that the sellers of unique items have moved on. Why, when it's so easy nowadays to have your own web site, would anyone want to stay on eBay with all their crazy anti-seller policies? Anyone who lists valuable items on eBay is setting themselves to lose their money and their merchandise.

by: alaska This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 14 19:24:09 2016

There is no question that for antiques and vintage collectibles there is not much to buy on eBay anymore. I don't use Followed Searches. I run hundreds of bookmarked searches every week, as do many of my friends. Back when you could see what other bidders were bidding on I monitored their purchases every week. A few friends were heavy buyers on eBay. They are hardly buying anything these days. They used to have a long list of purchases each week, now they are only buying a few items on eBay each week. Why? They are as passionate as ever about collecting, many of them are very wealthy, but they just can't deal with the huge proportion of relists to wade through, and the lack of quality items. Since 1997 I have faithfully run, every week, my very long lists of bookmarked searches. Every week for 17 years I ran these searches! About 6 months ago I gave up and now I only run about 5% of those searches, just the most important ones. I know I am missing a lot of items but I just don't have the time or the patience. If I could filter out any auction from my search that has been relisted more than 2 or 3 times, I could go back to running all of my searches again, and find a lot more things to buy. If I haven't bought an item after seeing it twice, there is zero chance that I'm ever going to buy it, regardless of price, so why do I have to see it again and again and again in my search results? I'm buying only a tiny fraction of what I was buying when I was running all of my searches, because I don't have the time to wade through the tens of thousands of auctions I have already seen countless times. Some sellers are relisting the same item (unique items) every day. With a way to filter out these multiple relists eBay will bring some sanity back to the site. If I want to go to the supermarket to buy a loaf of bread, the supermarket doesn't make me go up and down every aisle before I can buy that loaf of bread. They let me go right to it. The philosophy at eBay has been to force us to look at as much material as possible, hoping that we might see something and buy it, even if it was something we weren't looking for (think of how eBay changes our search terms). The collectors with the most money, the doctors, dentists, professionals, gave up on eBay long ago. They don't have the time to look for a needle in a haystack. I will never understand why Donahoe believed that the ultra-competitive ''new merchandise'' market was more attractive than the market that eBay was built on, the used and rare items, a.k.a. EVERYTHING THAT WAS EVER MADE!

by: dans parts This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 14 20:42:51 2016

Yeah, I got that email from eBay this morning.  13 searches they're putting "on vacation".

Ten said because of no email in a year.  Seven were for OOAK's that I've never seen on eBay in 15 years, but thought I'd see if one ever showed up.  Three were for searches that they ruined by eliminating the wild-card, and I just never had the gumption to go in and revise them - they weren't producing much anyway.

Three others were marked because I hadn't "opened the search in 90 days".  Just because I hadn't actually run the search itself doesn't mean I wasn't looking at the items from that search that they were sending in emails.

Madness...sheer madness.

by: comments This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jul 15 01:34:23 2016

This is clearly another instance where ebay is showing us they are hard at work improving upon and expanding their anti-customer stance.

Just about every change made to ebay in the last few years was geared towards pushing away both buyer and seller members. These changes are not carelessness but rater a calculated self destructive move to devalue their product and alienate customers while trying to be coy to prevent an investor uproar. The only positive changes undo failed changes when no other choice is presented, in order to set themselves up to bring an even more devastating changes later.

Only good change I can possibly think of was the addition of "send and offer" added to the email. This was profitable, innovative, and EVERYONE walked away a winner.

However, One sided feedback, dispute resolution, defect policy, the removal of the defect policy to institute on time shipping and the redundant hoops that go with it, removing sellers obligation to answer email or be held accountable to buyers, 30 day returns, removal of the feedback removal policy, removal of paypal seller protection, inability for paypal and ebay to communicate, a struck one sided deal with paypal that allowed them to massively raise rates for their highest grossing ebay sellers (when they took away volume discounts) and allows 180 day disputes when most tracking does not stay valid that long, best match, A new fee schedule from ebay that also punishes sellers for selling big ticket items, and the list keeps going.

Now all the changes to saved searches and removal of the ability to search by number of bids is just one more to add to the list. This is ebay this will be ebay's future and amazon will continue to dominate. JD was the greatest employee amazon never had.

by: RL15 This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jul 15 09:41:54 2016

ebay thinks they know what buyers want.

ebay thinks buyers are stupid and do not know what they want.

by: rhawk This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jul 15 12:52:55 2016

When a business gets arrogant enough to feel they can steer and tell buyers what they want to find, see, and buy, its over.

Obvoiusly ebay is dumb as a box of rocks.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ric

Fri Jul 15 16:33:06 2016

Being unwilling to trust eBay in matters, we have never saved searches on eBay.

Instead, we have saved our regular run searches in a browser folder so that eBay does not take it upon themselves to take actions like this.

by: Bloggo This user has validated their user name.

Sat Jul 16 03:32:07 2016

Remember, eBay knows what you want, you don't.

This user has validated their user name. by: bitbybit

Sat Jul 16 16:44:57 2016

Oh where, oh where have my little searches gone?

Oh where, oh where could they be?

With my time running short
and unable to report

Oh where, oh where could they be?

With my money running less and less,
And eBay thinking it knows what I want best

Oh where, oh where have my searches gone?

by: wasteland-mechanic This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jul 17 12:04:15 2016

What I find even more disturbing is that the number of search results for my saved searches varies very very very little month after month after month. This is statistically impossible unless they are blatantly manipulating what I am able to see.

What is wrong with these people running Ebay?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

by: mindelec This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 18 02:31:43 2016

i can't even find my saved searchs in my ebay anymore...  there is something called "followed searches" but it has nothing.

by: mindelec This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 18 03:05:46 2016

just tried clicking on followed searcha gain and all my searches magically came up.  what is disconcerting is that every search that they deactivated gives me over 50 results.

by: Bidonmine This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 18 23:17:17 2016

I received that notice on 12 of my searches.
The problem is, I went and searched for the items that ebay said it could not find...and... I found them.... But not on Ebay!
I guess ebay is going down faster than I thought.

by: dans parts This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jul 20 09:31:19 2016

One of my searches is for a door striker.  My old wildcard search used stri* but that doesn't work any more.

Found, just by accident, one of what I was looking for this morning, with the title using strike - no r at the end of the word.  My search never found it.

My wildcard search would have found it, also would have found ones that misspelled as stricker, too.  And plurals - strikers.

Don't see how eBay can LEGALLY claim Can'tSeeMe is better, when it can demonstrably be proved that it is not.  Except for them, of course...