Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Wed June 22 2016 23:14:55

Some Benefits of the Exclusive eBay Seller Growth Program

eBay sellers, how would you like to get special customer service support? What about access to listing promotions?

Are you tired of running up against selling limits? What if you could get eBay to review them for you?

Those are some of the benefits of the exclusive eBay Seller Growth program, and several sellers reported having received invitations to the program this week.

eBay is clearly reaching out to sellers, but in a controlled manner, something we're seeing more of (in terms of expanding beyond "diamond" sellers) since eBay became a much smaller company after splitting from PayPal and shedding properties such as eBay Enterprise.

Here's a copy of the invitation, which came with the subject line, "You're Invited | Opportunity to GROW your eBay Business!":

Dear (seller name redacted),
We're always finding new ways to support sellers who want to grow their business on eBay and have identified your account as having high potential. We encourage you to take 60 seconds to complete our contact form to potentially qualify to be part of our new Seller Growth program designed to help professional sellers like you!

(ApplyNow!)

If qualified, potential benefits include:

- Customer Service Support
- Listing Promotions
- Selling Limits Review
- Best Practices and Tips
- Webinars

eBay Seller Growth Team

A reader who forwarded us the email wrote, "I am reluctant to respond to this because it is so vague and I have not heard anything about it at EcommerceBytes. I can't even tell if it's actually an eBay program or a partner program that uses eBay's lists to send out their own solicitations." They noted that a third-party vendor advertised on its website:

"As a preferred Third Party Provider (TPP), Arbitrize is able to offer it's user base entry into one of a kind programs that are unaccessible to the public, such as eBay's Seller Growth Program and Free Insertion Fee Program."

We've previously written about the eBay Seller Growth team, but not about this particular program, which is by invitation only.

Clicking on the link to apply leads recipients to a survey, where among the information they must submit are the questions:

- How many unique products/SKUs do you currently have on eBay?

- How many TOTAL unique products/SKUs do you have in your current inventory?

It also asks, "What are your listing barriers on eBay?" and provides the following options:

- Insertion Fees
- Difficulty integrating product feed / integrating with eBay
- Time
- Seller limits
- Other

If you have information or questions about the Seller Growth program, post them here.

And let us know, would you accept this invitation?

Perminate Link for Some Benefits of the Exclusive eBay Seller Growth Program   Some Benefits of the Exclusive eBay Seller Growth Program

by: dpetes This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jun 22 23:39:06 2016

Not a chance in He double toothpicks!!!!!!!!

by: FeelingFroggy This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 23 00:38:05 2016

Just an extention of the carrot hoop jumpers program. Gives seller another reason to whine about something that Ebay doesn't care about.

by: Clothing Seller This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 23 01:25:05 2016

I'm pretty sure I deleted that e-mail the other day.  Why bother?

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Thu Jun 23 06:49:55 2016

I stopped trusting this company years ago. No way in he**.  If they really wanted to help us grow they'd remove any kind of selling limits (we know that they are there, despite the fact that they tells that they are not) AND they's stop hiding our listings. It doesn't take a rocket science to determine that 0 views on very popular items mean that the items are being hidden in search.

My guess is that this is just another gimmick to line their own pockets. The company is beholden to Wall Street, not their customers.

I think most small sellers (outside of a certain drool guy) have never seen their sales lower than they currently are.

by: angryllama This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 23 07:56:41 2016

I would take them up on it.  HOLD THE BRICKBATS !  One of two things would happen.  1.) Some of what they promise MIGHT ACTUALLY HAPPEN, yeah.  or  2.)  NONE of what they promise would happen and I'd have a Free Fire Zone in which to Rake THEM over the coals about how the entire eBay system seems now to be intended to HARM sellers. Win-Win, right?  What would the worst thing be... it's not like they could Tamp Down My Sales by Very Much More at this Sad Date. The way they gouged me the full $300 for another month of Anchor Store membership even when I *IMMEDIATELY* canceled back down to Premium the day I saw that there were NO worthwhile new benefits to offset the 67 PERCENT $120 extra per month fee. This OFFER seems entirely too much like the GOODIES that were promoted as UpGraded Services for Anchor Store members... and I don't see any $120 per month FEE mentioned in that promotion eMail. For those who never cared.. Anchor store fee for 2015 was $180 per month so the JUMP overnight from $180 to $300 was pure D Evil incarnate. Nobody NoCompany would ever even THINK of bumping up the just about ANY service by 67 percent from one day to the next.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Thu Jun 23 09:26:46 2016

angryllama says "Nobody NoCompany would ever even THINK of bumping up the just about ANY service by 67 percent from one day to the next."

A desperate company would...and did.  :)

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 23 10:23:48 2016

This is part of what I wrote in the LAST time (see Ina's post on it way back).

If you look through what they offer, none of it is special or even worth bothering about.

Customer Service Support
- Listing Promotions
- Selling Limits Review
- Best Practices and Tips
- Webinars

Listing Promotions - you buying advertising/being involved in paying for promotions. Its NOT an invitation to be in Deal of the Day, nor is it an invitation to be on the front page in any way - so its worthless (unless you liike giving San Jose even more of your money)

Selling Limits - I doubt theres ANYONE here thats limited on eBay due to selling limits. If they are and have a good track record, they wouldnt need this "program" to have someone look at it.

Besides, all of the good sellers here have excellent track records, lots of sales (when eBay lets them) and has great CS records. Why limit them in the first place ??? Bizzaro World!

Best Practices and Tips - experienced sellers DONT need "help" from people with ZERO experience - ones who were HIRED by OTHER PEOPLE with no experience.

Webinars -  who has time to watch yoyos tell you how to list items? Does any experienced sellers here NEED any of the info they have? DOUBTFUL. Its the same reason that no one tunes into UNCLE GRIFTER ..

The CS reach out people have NO AUTHORITY (despite how its written) to change ANY eBay policy, they cant even help you with Returns issues, chargebacks, T&S issues or even VERO. MAYBE they can get Mountain Dew Red into the vending machines near the bathroom on level 2 some time next year ... maybe.

Sheer waste of time to involve yourself with any of it .... I know I didnt!

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Thu Jun 23 10:31:16 2016

At least eBay has confirmed what  has been long suspected: There are seller limits.

I hope someone who completes the contact form and gets a reply will post here. I suspect that there is an additional fee involved to be part of the program. This seems like another way for eBay to squeeze money out of sellers.

by: mcposty This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 23 10:49:37 2016

Will the selling limits include hidden limits as well...lol.

Its real rediculous that there has to be a program by invite only that deals with ebay growth, shouldn't it be ebays desire to want everyone to grow?

Once again, its easy to see past ebays lip service

This user has validated their user name. by: Ric

Thu Jun 23 11:06:46 2016

This program is little more than eBay once again trying to treat the symptoms instead of curing the disease.

The true solution to what is holding sellers back is not another program which eBay will eventually discontinue or, worse, eventually monetize by charging fees for using the program...

If only eBay would realize and admit that it is their defective search engine, then work to resolve that obstacle, sellers would not need a special program to dig themselves out of the hole eBay itself created.

All sellers would benefit from a search engine that functions properly and returns only relevant results instead of returning what eBay's broken algorithms dictate buyers want to see.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Thu Jun 23 11:39:38 2016

Didn't eBay appoint Lyft's CEO to their Board yesterday?  Does he have any e-commerce experience?  I'm guessing a big no on that one.

by: JQ This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 23 12:43:49 2016

@iheart,

eBay has admitted to putting limits on sellers for years. What they have never made public is the full extent of selling limits, and how they are computed.

I spoke with a very knowledgeable eBay employee about six months ago about my account. He told me that my account did have selling limits, but they were not visible to me and  he was not allowed to tell me what they were. He did tell me that over the last year selling limits had not decreased my exposure at any time. He did say that my exposure had dropped quite a bit over the last two years, but due to Cassini manipulations, not selling limits.

He told me if I wanted to estimate my selling limits I should look at the last three months gross sales on eBay and multiply them by 1.5. I think this was his way of telling me what my selling limit was without actually saying it.

He said if selling limits ever became a problem for me I should call and eBay would most likely adjust them, given my inventory and long history of selling.

So, bottom line, eBay has secret selling limits, that they regularly adjust for people in the know, and none of this information is made public. Selling limits are not reason most sellers have seen huge declines in sales on eBay. Cassini traffic manipulation has been the primary cause of that problem. No small seller can do anything about Cassini and their traffic levels. The man told me that there was no reason to expect eBay to back away from current Cassini traffic manipulation policies in the foreseeable future.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Thu Jun 23 13:19:59 2016

JQ says "No small seller can do anything about Cassini and their traffic levels."

Oh but there is someone you can do. There are other platforms to sell (and buy) on. And that is just what we have done. We've built elsewhere.  We don't really need them any more.

I want a selling partner, not someone who  uses an inept search engine to play games with my business.

by: ignatz This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 23 13:42:32 2016

If qualified, potential benefits include:

- Customer Service Support
- Listing Promotions
- Selling Limits Review
- Best Practices and Tips
- Webinars

Please, please correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't ALL sellers supposed to be receiving these things, by virtue of the FEES we pay to ebay?

This user has validated their user name. by: bitbybit

Thu Jun 23 13:55:09 2016

The way I see it eBay's search engine has cost them to lose millions upon millions of dollars. The longer eBay continues to use Cassini, eBay's monetary losses will become insurmountable. With Cassini, eBay needs to cut their losses.  What eBay doesn't seem to get is by continuing to recover loss by fleecing sellers actually backfires with eBay sustaining even more of a loss. If eBay's plan is to seek bankruptcy then they are well on their way.

No matter how advanced technology becomes, keeping things simple has always worked best in the long run. Who wouldn't choose easy & beneficial over complicated & destructive?

By the way, there are no benefits to a pseudo seller growth program. It is pretty much moot or neutral (which we all know is a negative).

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Thu Jun 23 15:06:51 2016

@JQ - Thank you for your very informative post. I wasn't aware that seller limits were common knowledge, except for maybe the newest of sellers. I've read so many posts here where a seller will state that each month sales start off very robust, and then when they reach some dollar amount, like $1,500.00, their sales come to a screeching halt and don't begin again until the next month starts. Obviously, the seller knows there's been a limit attached to his/her account.

by: gutspiller This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 23 15:42:49 2016

Can only agree that the only thing holding back sellers on Ebay is Ebay itself. I quit Ebay 2 years ago. I now easily sell twice what I used to sell on Ebay.

There's gonna come a day where Ebay will start contacting their old good sellers that quit Ebay not just to ask but to BEG them to come back. Watch my words....

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 23 16:35:54 2016

=) I love you guys BUT...

EVERYONE makes the same errors. Cassini ISNT a "search engine". Yes it DOES perform searches, but its main goal is the PAY FOR PLAY that eBay takes from Platinums, Chinese Sellers and beloveds.

That is why it cant be replaced - eBay has no reason to as its NOT broken (to eBay).

It functions "as it should" by funneling traffic to those eBay wants, plain and simple.

As for limits - ONLY in eBay Bizzaro land are there limits.

Imagine eBay rana school - they'de put invisible limits on kids grades, instructing the teachers to give out C'd and D's to kids deserving A's and not tell them why.

Imagine eBay designing cars - the speedometer was be blank after 50mph and your mechanic would be instructed to NOT tell you how fast your car goes (you just get tickets since you were speeding).

On every item produced theres consumer information. Calorie, safety, general instructions ... eBay is the ONLY service that you pay for that limits you - but wont tell you how much or why. Wheres that big mouth Elizabeth Warren when you need her?

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Thu Jun 23 18:18:02 2016

“There are a lot of questions out there and I don’t have any of the answers,”—eBay CEO Devin Wenig, Goldman Sachs Technology And Internet Conference, 10 Feb. 2016.

Little has changed at eBay in the past eight years, not even since Johnny Ho donned his golden parachute and moved on ...

Fortunately, it’s otherwise always been easy to tell when an eBay spokesperson is being disingenuous—their lips are moving ...

This user has validated their user name. by: RKTOYS

Thu Jun 23 19:30:36 2016

I'd like to see eBay go back to 100 free listings per month.  With their performance, I'm not about to pay listing fees or reopen my store subscription.

1 2 3  [Next Page]