Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Fri June 10 2016 22:11:20

Were You Impacted By eBay's Outage on Thursday?

eBay experienced what amounts to an outage yesterday that prevented users from completing tasks, including bidding on auctions. Reports came in on Thursday afternoon around 2 pm ET, with users reporting that the site was slow, would not load, and/or displayed the following error message:

"Gateway Timeout: The proxy server did not receive a timely response from the upstream server."

Users began reporting the site was becoming accessible again after 6 pm ET.

One user said eBay posted a message on the Systems Announcement board at 5:10, apologizing for "intermittent slow site speed while using certain eBay marketplace features, particularly when accessing "My eBay,"" and following up with a post at 6:43 pm that said, "The issues some users were experiencing is now resolved."

We asked eBay this evening for details and asked if it extended auction listings scheduled to end during the outage. eBay spokesperson Ryan Moore replied:

"On Thursday, a subset of customers had experienced intermittent slow site speed while using certain eBay marketplace features, particularly when accessing ‘My eBay.’ Our teams worked quickly to resolve the issue and we apologize for any inconvenience this interruption cause. This was communicated on our eBay Systems Board, as well as on various social platforms in real-time."

Twitter was the only place we could find eBay responding to users - in this post, for example, eBay acknowledged the problem and linked to the Systems Announcement board. It's unclear why the post was removed so fast from eBay's website.

Readers reported problems on Ecommerce EKG, and the eBay Technical Issues discussion board was full of complaints about the technical issues. DownDetector.com was absolutely swamped with reports.

Did you experience problems accessing eBay yesterday, and did the problems have an impact on your sales?

Perminate Link for Were You Impacted By eBay's Outage on Thursday?   Were You Impacted By eBay's Outage on Thursday?

by: comments This user has validated their user name.

Sat Jun 11 00:38:42 2016

The ebay outage yesterday was very nice. They reverted back to a lot of the old pages. It was a great reminder of how great ebay was before they started changing the page layouts. My won item list in "my ebay" went back to the small thumbnails and list of won items instead of the new large thumbnail "we've made some changes" crap they came out with last year. Also the completely idiotic change to the saved searches a few days ag reverted back. For a second I thought ebay listened to their users....but alas today that new garbage saved searches page was back today. In all my life I have never seen a company try so incredibly hard to cause bad experiences for its user base.   They must beta test every change to cause maximum outrage.......... If that is the case then it truly was a job well done this week.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Sat Jun 11 08:49:55 2016

How would one know?  eBay is a ghost town. I'm surprised anyone noticed an outage.  We are doing much better on other sites.

by: gizmo This user has validated their user name.

Sat Jun 11 09:12:07 2016

It was great for research, then back to screwin as usual. Ebay is for tools .I dont look on there much. I actually pass on ebay , & rather enjoy craigs. I can purchase from there without incident so far.
Ebay has become inert , due to their own bull. They sure enouph had a meltdown of thought & reality. Hey , I sell items on craigs , pack a glock for those to see. I sell high $ items on craigs. I dont dare, on " screw you bay." They have become the joke at every turn. I hear people all the time saying "Ebay? oh god no! , or , are you kidding me? You may as well go burn your money." I hear nothing good , with the exception of cheerleaders , its all negative everywhere I go. They steal shipping , they make you lose money. They are nothing short of crooks. They are selling your personal info. The outcome of auctions is tampered with. They are the poster child for big business gone bad. Anyone thinking of using this site , or "VENUE" , RUN BABY   RUN !!

This user has validated their user name. by: Ric

Sat Jun 11 09:45:27 2016

Ina observes..." It's unclear why the post was removed so fast from eBay's website."

Two words explain why eBay down plays the number of users effected as well as minimizing admission of he duration and severity of  such issues.... WALL STREET.

The corporate culture at eBay is such that executives bury details related to system outages in order to protect their personal wealth building mission.

This is just one of many processes eBay executives utilize in order to keep Wall Street and analysts distracted from the many internal system defects which negatively impact GMV growth.

by: RL15 This user has validated their user name.

Sat Jun 11 12:51:06 2016

Maybe the Grifter will chime in and say that was just a test and you can not opt out.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Sat Jun 11 13:05:40 2016

The site was slow and I couldn't see my sold items. It lasted a few hours and was resolved.

eBay's losing it's luster for sure, I'm seeing fellow sellers have fewer and fewer sales, myself included.

by: Bidderboy This user has validated their user name.

Sat Jun 11 15:37:41 2016

I was affected in that I could not access my Watch List and missed bidding on a number of items. I feel sorry for those sellers.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Sat Jun 11 15:58:50 2016

But I have come to expect these daily glitches created by inexperienced, incompetent, foreign based ebafia "programmers."

If I were on the C level management 'team,' I'd be demanding shares of free Amazon stock rather than ebafia's plunging stock as supplementary compensation.

This user has validated their user name. by: gettingby

Sun Jun 12 02:00:06 2016

Yes. Unable to access Selling Manager or my store, and unable to search. The pages came up as a narrow row along the left of the screen, just nonsense letters and x'd squares. It was frustrating!

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Mon Jun 13 06:21:00 2016

Ebay has abandoned itself. Grass will be growing in the parking lot soon.
ALL the sellers with great merchandise have gone. The supply of great stuff by remaining sellers has been exhausted. I haven't bought anything since 2014. There's nothing there. This is a great opportunity for a programmer to create a site that doesn't overcharge for everything. Keep fees down around 2%.
Say what you will, 2% is the magic number.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Mon Jun 13 09:36:22 2016

@ The End

Do you sell your merchandise for 2% profit?

by: HarmonyGroveAntiques This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 13 14:24:28 2016

No we were not impacted. Ebay was Dead as usual.

This user has validated their user name. by: Shop and Ship

Mon Jun 13 14:29:34 2016

As a Buyer I watched a vintage $150 value item languish on eBay auction with no bids. On a nearly identical item the only bid was from 3 days prior; no sniping. Item 2 sold for $20 plus shipping. Then a 3rd nearly identical item came up for bid on Saturday, had 17 bidders, and sold for $92 plus shipping. Too bad so sad for Seller #2; bet she wishes she was No. 1 or No. 3?

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Mon Jun 13 16:10:34 2016

@Ta Ta ToolBoy:
Say what you will, 2% is the magic number.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Mon Jun 13 16:21:44 2016

@ The End

Does Amazon charge 2%?

How about Etsy?

Maybe Bonanza?

Vangoe?

OK, I'll give you eCrater, but as far as I know they are the only free game in town.

This user has validated their user name. by: Bill

Tue Jun 14 00:23:28 2016

eBid charges 2% has 3 to 10 times more viewers then eBay for similar items and gets listed on google.

by: texarestoriedclothing This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jun 14 01:03:56 2016

I didn't know there was an outage, but that may explain why the batch of items that I scheduled via garagesale didn't end up being listed. I was able to list them all individually later in the day, thankfully.

by: wallflower This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jun 14 11:30:58 2016

I was researching items and had a frustrating time with search giving that gateway error. I almost gave up, which is saying a lot!!

by: wallflower This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jun 14 11:33:12 2016

Oh, and I couldn't see my watch list to see what I was buying that day.

by: ebay refugee camp This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jun 15 08:30:36 2016

It is a crime how ebay has constant problems but expects sellers to be perfect. Ebay is NOT A TOP RATED SELLING SITE AND WE SHOULD PUT THEM ON PROBATION!!