Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Mon May 30 2016 21:43:48

eBay Gives 48-Hour Fair Warning to Some Sellers

It seems some eBay sellers are entitled to special privileges, and while that won't come as a surprise to many people, one of the perks may - a grace period to fix their listings before eBay will take action against them.

An eBay seller forwarded an email they received from a person in eBay Seller Outreach and Coaching, which explained:

"48-hour fair warning means that if we find anything wrong with one of our listings or your account we will contact you and provide you with 48 hours to fix the problem before we would take any action against your account. This feature will be available on your account for the next 70 days."

The letter also offers a direct helpline for dedicated support "that can help you with any questions you have" available to the seller through the middle of August.

The program also provides participating sellers with access to a few coaching appointments designed to help the seller "jump start" their business.

eBay has had the Outreach program for over a decade, though we haven't heard anything about it in the last few years. (Here's some background about the program from 2010.)

The letter the seller received about the program last week raises the issue of whether  all sellers get a chance to fix their listings before eBay takes action.

What do you think of outreach program, and specifically the 48-hour grace period?

Perminate Link for eBay Gives 48-Hour Fair Warning to Some Sellers   eBay Gives 48-Hour Fair Warning to Some Sellers

by: flybuy This user has validated their user name.

Tue May 31 00:08:46 2016

What did the seller do that Ebay wanted changed?  Did the seller omit information Ebay thinks should be on the listing. Does the seller think the outreach was unreasonable?

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Tue May 31 00:34:16 2016

Im the OP on this one.

I sent the info to Ina because I wanted to find out if "it was just me" or are they rolling out direct US based help to all smaller dealers.

If you recall Ina's repost on the SPring Update said that in return for "new lowest/highest fees ever" besides the art supplies, Anchor stores got that kind of direct support.

Odd that they would offer it then to NON anchor stores.

The 48hr warning period is nice. I dont have any issues these days that require it - but back inthe day when VERO and I would go a few rounds - a program like this would have been welcome. Not always does a seller (myself included) know when there's an issue. Sometimes VERO is just at the beck and call of the highest bidder (manufacturer) and you get in trouble ... cause you were breathing!

eBay likes (apparently) my continued growth AND %100 feedback rating - going on for 3 yrs or so now. Between the glowing comments and the new categories Ive dabbled in, I guess ...... as everyone here has said only 100000000x ... if you take care of your SMALLER sellers, then eBay will prosper.

I hope these programs are extended to all my seller friends here on Ecommercebytes - lord knows they all deserve it (well ok not Mr 420) ... (ok fine even him!)

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Tue May 31 01:25:23 2016

eBay spending the effort to program a 48-hour warning notice (for some sellers?) into their clunky system demonstrates just how desperate eBay has become ...

Too bad they won't do anything about Johnny Ho's further anonymizing of bidder IDs for the sole purpose of aiding and abetting auction fraud on buyers ...

The eBay executive suite—where the incompetent mingle with the disingenuous, the unscrupulous, the malevolent, the outright criminal, and the just plain stupid. ...

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Tue May 31 02:38:32 2016

@pace306

I don't think the email you got has anything to do with the dedicated support team that Anchor stores will be getting.  Besides, it doesn't start until July.

But the email you got certainly is interesting.  So you are saying you did NOT have notification of any listing violations, you just got the email with no further info????

by: FeelingFroggy This user has validated their user name.

Tue May 31 06:47:41 2016

Probably just an april fools joke from ebay a few months early.

There isn't any program that ebay has that will help the average seller do anything.

Delete and move on.

by: mindelec This user has validated their user name.

Tue May 31 06:50:38 2016

maybe they suddenly realized that booting sellers for 1 mistake was bad for business...

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Tue May 31 07:21:09 2016

Someone needs to give eBay a 48 hour warning of how fed up sellers are with all of the micro-managing.

Oh, but eBay is just a platform, eBay is just a platform, eBay is just a platform.....repeat it, you just might believe it NEVER!

by: dmg61 This user has validated their user name.

Tue May 31 08:31:06 2016

Sounds to me like this is something they'll give to their mega-Chinese sellers selling fake jewelry junk that floods the channels, then they won't take action against them anyway.

by: Barbbie This user has validated their user name.

Tue May 31 08:56:50 2016

I got an email from them a couple months ago for listings from 2007 that were in the wrong category that they wanted me to fix. I do not think that the category was there in 2007.
But I have heard from them by phone when I had a premium store when they made me change some of my variable listings due to "fee avoidance" (probably 2 years ago).  I eventually went to  an anchor store and have not had that problem since, (nobody at ebay mentioned it to me or I would have just paid the extra money then, no I changed all my "offending" listings!). Of course, the Chinese have completely unrelated items on variable listings and they are still there, doubt they have anchor stores. But, maybe I will start reporting them again next month, can't hurt.
I have not received any 48 hour warning email specifically though.
My anchor subscription ends in Sept so I am going to stick with it until then and see how it works out. So far, my "perks" have been null for anything that is important to me but I am sure something will come up where I can test the "dedicated" people!

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Tue May 31 10:51:58 2016

Marie :)

I havent had a single violation of any kind in 2-3 yrs.

I used to get caught up in VERO with craziness's like "MC999 Unauthorized Item" from time to time.

After a few lawyers letters that came to a halt (since in US trade Law - theres no such things).

The only issue I had after that (2-3 yrs ago) was my go around with VERO/Trust & Saftey and a threat by me to go public on a selling issue where I demanded eBay go to bat for me against a maker - and they declined.

We eventually agreed to have all violations removed, I was sent 1/2 of an appology, got credit for all the listings the rule effected and I promised that "until such time as it happens again with another maker" I wouldnt take it public.

(It basically was that a specific maker told me that I couldnt list their products from eBay.com and make them available for sale in the EU due to some kind of EU trade law (which wasnt applicable to the US in any case)). They claimed I was IMPORTING (I was actually EXPORTING - the law stated you must have a physical location IN THE EU for the law to apply) and the maker said that eBays offices and the listings created in the US itself were "enough" to accomplish that".

They are/were wrong and we settled on the above terms with the caveat that I COULD list them for sale in the EU but ONLY with GSP not direct ship from me.

LMAO - thats they same thing - just eBay doesnt/wouldnt get a cut of the shipping from PB.

Since I also didnt have the cash to take them to court - the agreement worked for me - but I did loose customers.

In any case - that was YEARS ago - my accuont is SQUEEKY clean - I have no need or use for the 48hr warning program.

This user has validated their user name. by: FEEbay

Tue May 31 11:21:58 2016

I believe that Ebay has walked so many sellers away from the site, that they are desperate. There is no other reason for this whatsoever..
Does anyone really think that Ebay will EVER do right by sellers, just out of the goodness of their hearts...?? Not a chance.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Tue May 31 13:00:19 2016

@pace306

Thank you for the background.  Certainly your receipt of that email makes no sense at all.  Without a potential problem identified, I see no useful purpose for the email.  If there was a potential problem they identified, I can see it being very useful.

For example, I had a friend recently that got into a bit of trouble with Ebay.  They closed a couple of her listings for a variation violation, then put them on a 3 day restriction.  No new listings and they couldn't revise any listings they had posted at that time.  For them, that email you got would have been very handy and useful, again if they explained what the problem was.

Sometimes Ebay just makes you scratch your head in wonder!!

As for Vero.  I feel your pain.  I've been a few rounds with Ebay/Vero myself over the years.  The hits I took were wrong as well, but I got nowhere with my complaints.  I'm glad you at least got some attention.

by: Toledo Maude This user has validated their user name.

Tue May 31 14:02:27 2016

Today is the close of another slumping eBay sales month.  The good news is that May is only down 50% over last year's May.  April was 80%.  Etsy has picked up some of the short fall fortunately.

I like so many long time eBay sellers that follow the eBay rule book wonder the significance of improved eBay seller support when there appears to be little future in selling on eBay.

by: mcposty This user has validated their user name.

Tue May 31 14:08:14 2016

Raising store fees they better something, id rather they get items sold to warrant the fee increase

by: ebay refugee camp This user has validated their user name.

Tue May 31 14:23:25 2016

Ebay should heed their own warnings. Pictures still missing, bad buyers are NOT BEING MONITORED,
the trs system is full of errors and the USPS is still not scanning all of the packages. Ebay's management and attitude towards sellers is plain childish and plain ignorant. It is get the fees and who cares after that in ebay's corporate office. Enough is enough...

by: go-figure This user has validated their user name.

Tue May 31 16:50:06 2016

Judging by the comments (or lack thereof), it appears that Pace was the only one to receive the letter. Well, good for him.

What gets me is why is this only be offered for 70 days? Are they planning on ''dinging'' one or more of your listings over the next couple of months but don't want to pis* you off? What the heck's wrong with just making this part of ebay's (or any other marketplace for that matter) SOP for any established seller? Instead of waiting in the shadows to stomp on someone's business, why not give them a chance to fix an issue before taking more draconian measures? Or is damaging and assaulting someone's livelihood just too much fun?

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Tue May 31 18:08:19 2016

Habitually issuing such warning notice emails would take processing power; eBay does not want to risk their old Commodore 64 computer becoming overloaded ...

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Tue May 31 18:45:06 2016

I'm not special (as an account) on eBay by ANY means.

I'm not the biggest, the oldest, the most profitable - in fact - I bad mouth them 24/7 on their boards (never mind here).

Why I'd be singled out for any kind of attention beyond whats normal for everyone is a mystery.

I just sent it to Ina to see what everyone ELSE was doing or not doing.

I think that ALL established business type accounts should have a 24hr grace period for infractions - unless they were done on purpose (ie listing something after being told not to).

Its the school yard bully BS attitude that eBay has its always to "show you a lesson". Please - its so childish.

I doubt there's ANYONE here who's violating copyright, trademark or any other major issue on purpose and all the time.

Why not treat professional business sellers like grownups? "Marie" deserves to be treated with respect and dignity for her account (just using her SN as an example, as she asked me a question here) as much as I do.

As for the better support - isnt it time eBay took some of the $5 billion offshore dollars and used it to bring CS up to the 21rst century?

by: gizmo This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jun 1 12:56:45 2016

Ebay is a joke , will always be a joke , so help me g--.

This user has validated their user name. by: BuildingMyOwnSite

Thu Jun 2 15:09:19 2016

I too, don't get the statement:

''This feature will be available on your account for the next 70 days.''

Why 70 days?
Who wants it anyway?
Is this some sort of threat?
Or a carrot?

What's Up with that new ''feature'' anyway?
If YOU needed it, why would they take it back away?

I KNOW!!!  It's the trial period, after 70 days, you'll get to purchase this Premium Service, for only $19.99 per month.

This is so weird on so many levels.  These guys are whackos.