Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Sun May 8 2016 11:49:09

eBay Includes Wrong Sales Pitch on Branded Boxes

eBay sellers who purchase the new eBay-branded boxes to ship their items to customers are objecting to the sales pitch that urge recipients to start selling on eBay.

eBay debuted the shipping-supplies store on its marketplace last month as part of the Spring Seller Update. eBay is selling boxes and envelopes that display the eBay logo prominently, similar to the way Amazon prints its logo on its shipping boxes.

But sellers who ordered eBay branded boxes without reading the fine print on the product pictures discovered that next to the recycle symbol, appears an advertising pitch for eBay:

"Put this box to good use: Start selling on eBay"

One seller who received the boxes last week said the eBay branding was a very good thing, but said she didn't like the additional sales pitch to her buyers.

"If they were truly free, then pitch away, but I'm paying for em. I want to encourage more buying - not trying create other sellers," she said.

She used a Priority Mail sticker to cover the words "Start selling on eBay."

Another seller wrote, "If they want me to advertise for them, they'll have to pay me for the privilege."

eBay is giving eBay Store owners coupons that are good toward the new boxes and shipping supplies - as one seller explained, eBay increased the store fee "but offset it by providing a coupon for boxes that include free advertising for eBay." You can find the shipping supplies listed on its eBay Store.

The original seller estimated the eBay branded boxes cost about 70 cents on average per box compared to the equivalent boxes from Staples, which she said would cost about 55 cents on average per box. She purchased the boxes on eBay "because we're paying for the coupon with our subscription," and said not to use the coupon would be leaving money on the table.

Could eBay come up with an alternative tagline that would encourage buyers to keep buying on eBay? Suggestions are welcome.

Perminate Link for eBay Includes Wrong Sales Pitch on Branded Boxes   eBay Includes Wrong Sales Pitch on Branded Boxes

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Sun May 8 12:37:21 2016

How about:

"Whatever is in this box, you should have bought used airplane tools instead."

(Obviously, I'm joking.)

This user has validated their user name. by: bitbybit

Sun May 8 13:14:32 2016

Well not exactly true but ''IT can be found on eBay''. Maybe scratch off the ''can'' and put ''might''.

What I would like it to say ''Support USA Sellers - Shop eBay''

How about ''Shop the new ebay - where the past & future come together NOW''

This user has validated their user name. by: eXtinctBay

Sun May 8 13:44:48 2016

Here's what it should say to benefit their valued buyers:

''Return To Sender With A Brick Or Rocks Inside For A Full Refund Of Your Purchase Price. And Be Sure & Claim The Contents Are Not As Described So You Do Not Have To Pay Return Shipping Costs. We At eBay Have Your Back!!''

(TOO WORDY, PERHAPS??)

by: exdwh This user has validated their user name.

Sun May 8 14:35:02 2016

I think the pitch is just dumb.  I ordered bubble mailers instead of boxes because it's less of a premium. They have 2 sets of adhesive strips. However, since we heatseal all mailers and trim the top, they won't be reusing ours. That's our standard procedure-- not something I'm doing in spite.

We get 125 6x4x4 boxes for $24.39. eBay wants $14.97 for 25. That's more than 3x the cost. Maybe eBay needs to offer in larger quantity.

--David

This user has validated their user name. by: White Rabbit

Sun May 8 15:15:10 2016

where are the free coupons at?

This user has validated their user name. by: White Rabbit

Sun May 8 15:24:15 2016

I think i found it! LOL!

yep get some paper tape to cover the ads on the boxes.

This user has validated their user name. by: White Rabbit

Sun May 8 15:41:05 2016

looks like you only get one coupon to use even if you have a few stores. and.. if you purchase something for less than the coupon you can not get to use the balance.

by: NukaCola This user has validated their user name.

Sun May 8 16:57:33 2016

Ebay's practices just get shadier and more exploitive every year. I think most sellers already see the writing on the wall and have been transitioning onto other platforms.

by: val2525 This user has validated their user name.

Sun May 8 17:27:41 2016

I agree that it needs to be a buying pitch.

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Sun May 8 20:21:29 2016

"Put this box to good use: Start selling on eBay"

Read between the lines. Not only are the buyers leaving but the sellers too are abandoning the rusting old scow.

When eBay becomes so utterly desperate that they start fishing for the casual/small sellers, that the cretinous Johnny Ho spent the eight years of his realm ignoring, you know the old scow is not long for the above-water, air-breathing world ...

The eBay executive suite—where the incompetent mingle with the disingenuous, the unscrupulous, the malevolent, the outright criminal, and the just plain stupid. ...

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Sun May 8 22:33:48 2016

I've found a REAL WORLD JOB that actually pays the bills. And I NEVER have to go near a computer for the duration. It's a dream come true.
I LOVE my work  :o)

This user has validated their user name. by: White Rabbit

Mon May 9 06:58:48 2016

I agree with Cohen and The End.. the sellers are leaving the venues in droves. Ebay and Etsy... not sure on Amazon but I bet yes. The summer is here and sales will slow down for most. and then we have the prospects of an impending doom of a global recession of sorts :-). This must be very scary times at Venue HQs regardless of which one.

Wallstreet is concerned and savvy to this also. Might not be a good time to hold stock in venues.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Mon May 9 07:18:33 2016

How about "It is normally hidden on eBay, how did you find it".

It's likely a matter of time before they start taking paid advertising on the boxes.

This user has validated their user name. by: White Rabbit

Mon May 9 09:09:27 2016

I purchased some boxes yesterday using the coupon code- I discovered i was charged on my paypal account for the boxes. Of course i was upset and called billing ay Ebay to see how they could do this as i Never authorised a paypal charge.

I actually got a decent nice support person. They are going to refund the fees taken from my account within 2 days she said. we will see.

Also the second store had a code and would not work.. lucky me or i would have been charged again... That code should be working and We should get supplies for additional stores.

A complete mess at Ebay on these supplies. check your accounts at paypal if you offered "FREE" supplies as you may have been charged as I was.

This user has validated their user name. by: White Rabbit

Mon May 9 09:12:22 2016

offered= ordered :-)

Yes, they charged my PP account without telling me in any manner.. no PP window saying I was to be charged.

This user has validated their user name. by: White Rabbit

Mon May 9 09:30:39 2016

looks like what they did was charge the paypal and credited the paypal without making a note of it. so it was all ok after all but a very strange accounting method at Paypal as the credit does not show anywhere. so all is good in the end. a waste of time on my part trying to figure out why Paypal could not post a simple credit and the source.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 9 09:43:14 2016

I got my padded envelopes on Friday.

The biggest sized padded envelopes were $30 or so for 100pcs.

I used my $25 credit (damn sure that when eBay is giving out money - Im taking it - even if I throw the stuff away ...lol

I just use a black wide sharpie to "correct" eBays tag line.

Of course this whole racket is 1) to make even MORE money off sellers and 2) get into ecommerce at some level 3) ape Amazon

When you hire and continue to employee people with no experience in the jobs they hold - this is the kind of mess you get (and should expect).

So in the end I spent $5 for 100 padded envelopes - not too shabby and IM sure Ill find a use for them .... but is this REALLY what eBay should be focusing on in the era of "no sales" ????

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Mon May 9 10:54:52 2016

@pace306

Maybe you have "no sales" but many of us are doing just fine on eBay.

Canseeme has brought me the buyers I'm L👀King for!

This user has validated their user name. by: Ric

Mon May 9 11:02:18 2016

Maybe, just maybe, eBay's tag line encouraging buyers to list on eBay is a good thing for existing sellers...

We all know that new sellers are pushed to the bottom of search and relegated to virtual invisibility, so an influx of new buyers who eBay will push to the bottom of search might possibly increase visibility for existing sellers.

Then again, it is eBay where nothing is consistent or works as intended so it may all be the latest eBay exercise in futility for all concerned.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 9 13:02:51 2016