Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Sun May 1 2016 22:27:24

eBay Sends Mixed Messages Regarding New Store Fees

eBay is making a major change to its Store program with new fees and benefits for each level. But readers are telling EcommerceBytes they're getting mixed messages in the run-up to the changes, which went into effect today (May 1, 2016).

There are two types of complications. One is whether sellers without a Store who sign up now will be able to lock in at the current (lower) price for the next 12 months, as is indicated on the eBay website.

The second is whether current Store owners can change their subscription level now without paying an early termination fee.

eBay announced the changes to Stores as part of the 2016 Spring Seller update announced on April 5th. Basic and Premium Store subscriptions are increasing by 25%, and Anchor Stores are increasing by 75%. eBay is adding some perks, including offering dedicated customer service for Anchor Stores beginning in July.

One reader said he checked with eBay customer service and was told his annual subscription was automatically renewed each December, but that his rates would go up on May 6. When he said he was considering downgrading, the eBay rep told him he would have to cancel at the standard buyout penalty rate.

"My question is this; how can a company automatically renew my annual service/subscription for an agreed upon rate, then increase that rate just a few months into the service, yet not allow me to terminate the agreement if I deem it appropriate due to the changes in the terms of the agreement?"

However, it appears the eBay rep provided incorrect information. Here's the text of an eBay FAQ about the new Store fees:

I'm an eBay Stores subscriber with an annual subscription. Due to these changes, can I change my subscription level without paying an early termination fee?

Yes. Sellers with an annual subscription have 60 days after this Seller Update (until June 4th) to change their Store level without a penalty. You may also cancel your Store subscription until June 4th without incurring early termination fees (if they apply). To make changes, please go to My eBay.

Another reader said they received an offer from eBay for locking in at the current price of a Store 15.95 per mo on annual sign up. "But the confusing part is when I go to look at the offer, it brings me to the current store fees page - then there is a "link" for the Spring Update with pricing at 19.95."

"So what gives," the seller asked. "If I sign up for a year, is the 15.95 going to hold for the next 12 months or will the Spring update increase the 15.95 to 19.95???" She wondered if it was deliberately made to be confusing for would-be sellers considering a Store subscription.

Perminate Link for eBay Sends Mixed Messages Regarding New Store Fees   eBay Sends Mixed Messages Regarding New Store Fees

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Sun May 1 23:40:54 2016

Regardless, you can bet that the increased store fees will still be far outweighing any supposed benefits store holders may obtain ...

Anyway, why worry about such matters; your partnership with eBay is making you so rich you should have no need to be concerned about a few extra millions of your dollars going into the eBay executive "golden parachute fund" ...

The eBay executive suite—where the incompetent mingle with the disingenuous, the unscrupulous, the malevolent, the outright criminal, and the just plain stupid. ...

This user has validated their user name. by: WOODJUNGLE! ON EBAY

Sun May 1 23:45:24 2016

I don't know. I'm sort of digging the new structure.  I have a net savings of about $25 and I get $75 in shipping supplies every q? I like it. Another benefit is  I have 6100 items so plan to take 1000 plus of my items that I want more exposure and change them to weekly instead of monthly. This should actually work out well for a lot of people.  It really depends on the size of your store.

by: handmedownheaven This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 2 00:19:45 2016

What's another nail in the feebay coffin?  They just got done releasing information that listings were down 20%, so let raise fees, give scammers a full 30 days to rip you off.  That will help those listing out

This user has validated their user name. by: WOODJUNGLE! ON EBAY

Mon May 2 00:22:38 2016

Oh, on the not so bright side, this is my worst year in 14 years thus far.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Mon May 2 03:00:05 2016

The confusion for members has to do with a few things.  Which is not helped by the untrained CSRs that Ebay continues to have trying to help members.

Part of the confusion comes from people ASSUMING that Ebay defines a "subscription" like everyone else in the world does.  When in fact they do not.  In Ebayland "subscription" does NOT lock in a price for any length of time beyond 30 days.

We just need to remember to read everything that Ebay sends out or states on the site when you are considering something.  In this case whether to subscribe to a store level or just do a month to month.

If you spend the time to read about a store subscription, you'd know that they will auto renew the subscription on your anniversary date unless you tell them differently.  It also states they can make changes to the fees charges with a 30 day notice.  So this kind of stuff only comes as a surprise to those that haven't really read what it is all about.

As for the cancellation fees if you want to downgrade or cancel your store.  Ebay did announce a grace period for this until June 4th.  So if you are calling in and your CSR doesn't know anything about it, ask for someone that does as it is in the Spring Seller Update, or hang up and call back in the hopes of getting a trained CSR.

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Mon May 2 05:44:36 2016

Devin Wenig is unworthy of heading any American corporation. His disrespect for / of people in general is alarming.
He must be replaced ASAP with someone or a group with a realistic handle on the business of business.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Mon May 2 06:44:39 2016

Wenig was reorged out of his job at Thomson-Reuters. Perhaps history will repeat.

by: GotToGetOut This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 2 08:24:54 2016

I am loving it because I was able to downgrade my store without any penalty which I really wanted to do but didn't want to pay the high early termination fees.

I agree with Woodjungle. When I had over 8500 items for sale and was paying $.05 for every listing over 2500 I would have paid more then than now for the anchor store. However, my sales don't warrant having that many listings any more and I've wiped them all out. There might be some big sellers out there who could do it but I think Ebay will have more downgrades than upgrades and lots of unhappy people who will be blindsided because they don't read about what's going on and by the time they figure it out it will be too late to make a "subscription" change.

by: Volvo351 This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 2 08:41:02 2016

This from the piece: "She wondered if it was deliberately made to be confusing for would-be sellers considering a Store subscription."

Whenever a seller is confused about the treatment to be expected from feeBay, it's always safe to assume the WORST! Then, up that estimate by 20%!

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Mon May 2 10:40:22 2016

I didn't have a single sale for most of yesterday.

About 9 pm I decided to edit all my listings for 30 day returns instead of 14 days.

I had a sale 30 minutes later.

I have found to get high in search results you need to add fresh listings DAILY.

No mixed feelings about my store.

The 1% discount FVF & 250 free listings pay for the ebay store many times over.

It's still a great deal for small sellers like myself.

The more I list the more I sell. . .

by: papergoy This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 2 12:26:44 2016

Can't speak for others but this fee restructuring is actually going to save me substantially.  It all depends on the number of items you have, but I've run the numbers multiple times just to be sure I wasn't dreaming and yes, I'll be better off.  Obviously your situation may differ.

This user has validated their user name. by: White Rabbit

Mon May 2 13:13:32 2016

I just assume that all the fees will go into effect this month for everyone? and as Marie said you can get out of the contract this month.

Does anyone know how and when we can order these free supplies? :-) it says quarterly... every 3 months?

This user has validated their user name. by: White Rabbit

Mon May 2 13:17:22 2016

I have a huge roll of paper registered tape that will cover the Ebay Branding nicely as i use the smallest boxes. I bought the paper tape on Ebay for a really great price.

by: Mark4 This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 2 13:36:43 2016

Bonanza.com folks, it is the new ebay with only 1/4 the fees of ebay. We are getting as many and on some days more sales on Bonanza than ebay. Ebay is not the only game in town anymore, few more years and ebay will be gone.

This user has validated their user name. by: White Rabbit

Mon May 2 14:20:49 2016

Bonanza must have changed a lot in the past few years.. if that is so.

LOL

by: donald This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 2 14:21:11 2016

I agree with  Philip Cohen

Why worry about such matters; your partnership with eBay is making you so rich you should have no need to be concerned about a few extra millions of your dollars going into the eBay executive ''golden parachute fund''

LMAO ..

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 2 14:27:44 2016

"SEND ME MY FREE SUPPLIES HAL"

This user has validated their user name. by: White Rabbit

Mon May 2 19:08:00 2016

yep, i wanT my FREE Boxes too!

by: DingDong This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 2 19:37:56 2016

@Mark4 You got to be kidding about Bonanza. So many complaints that new sellers thought they had free listings and they are snookered into a store meaning $$ for Management. The seller then has to fight because Bonanza charges for a free trial store. Fees might be low, but no views unless you pay for them through all the different offerings. Then you pay for the different memberships that really don't do much when there are no views. Then the searches are so bad. Then when there are new adjustments, there always problems that the experience sellers find and have to let the Boyz know.

Let me quote from their Craigslist Job listing: •Fast-growing (tripled revenue in past year), and already-profitable company.
AND yet, nobody knows Bonanza.

Just love paying for membership, advertising and such for the Boyz to have the month of February a vacation in tropical places or the messages and such.

Give eCrater a try. You have you URL that you can submit to all different search engines. You are in control of your store.

by: DingDong This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 2 19:39:09 2016

@White Rabbit  Be careful, Mark4 is pulling your tail. :-)

1 2 3  [Next Page]