Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Thu Apr 14 2016 13:04:25

eBay Guides Shoppers with New Modules

Maybe you've noticed new features on eBay when you're shopping - today, eBay officially unveiled some of them in a post on the corporate blog. New modules displayed to shoppers in include "Shop by Brand," "Best Selling," and "Shop by Category."

A spokesperson told EcommerceBytes the modules will help shoppers navigate the eBay site and category pages without having to use keyword searches.

"The new algorithm can now instantly and intelligently surface listings to shoppers without relying on keywords, which could otherwise potentially miss the opportunity of an interesting item," she said.

"Another goal of the new modules is to help shoppers that land on eBay from a Google search, so they will have better context and guidance going through eBay's inventory."

The new approach to "guiding" shoppers is made possible by the structured data that sellers are now including as part of the Product Identifiers mandate.

Take a look at the blog post and let us know what you think - and we'll dive more into this in Friday's Newsflash (available now here).

Perminate Link for eBay Guides Shoppers with New Modules   eBay Guides Shoppers with New Modules

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Thu Apr 14 13:09:38 2016

Guiding shoppers right to the front door of eBay's favored sellers, and away from what the buyer is actually looking for.

by: rhawk This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 14 13:18:45 2016

Dumb. stupid. sales killers.

by: Beth This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 14 14:01:45 2016

yeah but try finding an Oldsmobile Ciera on the automotive section.  I don't want headlights or tires. I want a dang car

by: mcposty This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 14 14:41:49 2016

This whole trend of shiwing buyers what etsy ebay anazon think they want, is stupid and manipulative. Actuallt, its more what ebay wants buyers to want.

Why anyone would shop on a site that makes decisions for them is beyond me

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Thu Apr 14 18:42:19 2016

Fortunately, it’s always been easy to tell when an eBay/PayPal spokesperson is being disingenuous—their lips are moving ...

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 14 23:26:09 2016

These things MAY be nice (or not) ...but in essence they are simply just distractions from eBay fixing the vast number of problems that ail them.

Doing these things will NOT make either sellers or buyers (not to mention the "man on the street") change their minds on eBay itself.

Tell anyone that "taking returns means its ok for eBay to help rip you off" and see how they recoil in horror. "You mean eBay says its ok for people to steal from you? who would trust THEM?"

Go tell people about the many stupid rules - from picture sizes to demands on shipping times and responsibilities and see what they say! "you mean eBay takes money from (FVF) on SHIPPING, but takes no responsibility when an issue arises"?

The list goes on and on .... fixing these things wont solve any of the real issues - the eBay emperor has no clothes!

This user has validated their user name. by: Ric

Fri Apr 15 08:40:11 2016

" The new approach to "guiding" shoppers ...."

Since the early days of the John Donahoe reign of terror, eBay has been making assumption in the belief they know more about what buyers are looking for than the actual buyer does.  Current sales trends on eBay compared to other marketplaces prove that eBay's assumptions are wrong.

If it were not for price increases driven by sellers who include shipping costs in the sale price of their items, eBay's GMV growth would be zero or even negative.

Given eBay's assumptions have proven over a decade to be wrong, it looks like this effort is destined to produce more of the same lackluster results.

This feature is nothing more than puffery driven by corporate executives who are more vested in growing share prices and cashing out than they are helping sellers actually increase their conversion rates.

Once again, eBay executives will bamboozle Wall Street analysts while buyers get frustrated and abandon eBay's floundering marketplace.

by: gizmo This user has validated their user name.

Fri Apr 15 11:55:40 2016

I no longer shop on this dead site. I want what I want , not what they want. Big JOKE deadbay! I took my money to the real parts store , & get it for less. I know what I want , I want, what I cannot see on their stupid site. IDIOTS !! Fricken loser lunatics.

by: gutspiller This user has validated their user name.

Fri Apr 15 13:34:28 2016

As if Ebay has reinvented the wheel... Shop by genre, best sellers,... It's just the options you find on any e-commerce site.

You really don't need any product identifiers to be able to do this.

I run my website on an open source shopping cart. The last couple of years sales grew with at least 50% year on year.

Not bad for a seller whose Ebay business went down the toilet.

Big difference is that ALL my items are visible ALL of the time.

Quit Ebay a couple of years ago. Was considering going back since most of my competitors are gone. Just use Ebay to drive as much traffic as possible to my website.

Won't happen. Don't use any ean codes or other on my website. Not gonna add those to a few 1000 products for the sake of Ebay. Also read Ebay will no longer allow YouTube videos in your listings. Something I've been using from day one and will continue to use.

by: ignatz This user has validated their user name.

Fri Apr 15 20:25:33 2016

They can do any crazy stuff they want, who cares?  But they should at least provide a search option called "Show me what I ***ASKED*** to see."

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Fri Apr 15 21:02:59 2016

@gutspiller

You may not be doing yourself any favors by not adding an ISBN, UPC or MPN when available on your products whether you sell them on Ebay or your own website.

The trend towards having these numbers in listings was NOT Ebay's design.  I realize it is popular to blame them for it, it just isn't factual.

Google is driving this.  They have had recent announcements about the subject.  You may want to look into this so that you don't harm yourself without realizing it.

I don't like these numbers either.  And while many shoppers don't use them, some actually do, depending on what they are looking for.

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Sat Apr 16 00:46:33 2016

"Shop by Brand," "Best Selling," and "Shop by Category."

As others have said, these modules will all be featuring eBay-preferred brands/items/merchants.

The headless turkeys supposedly running eBay think that everyone else is more stupid than even they so obviously are ...

by: mcposty This user has validated their user name.

Sat Apr 16 04:19:42 2016

Google is another stupid entity trying to steer how people shop. Screw them

by: Tiffee Jasso This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 18 02:11:25 2016

I will wait and see, but today when I searched for Fostoria glass goblet, I was told Ebay had 1 item. For Garbage Pail Kids cards they had zero. But I went out to Google and came back in on the cards and there were several pages. I don't think this is going to bode well for secondary market items. Probably works real well for imports.

by: frustrated This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 18 08:24:06 2016

by: rhawk This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 14 13:18:45 2016
"Eaby is on drugs. Spaced out, holed up in moms basement, dreamers and programmers must run the place."

California is a POT SMOKING state. Apparently they pass it out for breakfast in San Jose.

They call me to re-activate my old ID offering me free listings.

FOR WHAT??   Because I have so much free time I can afford to spend it doing nothing??  None of it will sell, why bother??

DUMA**es

by: FREDDY This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 18 08:54:39 2016

People stop shopping on ebay because they cannot find what THEY want.
I can do a search for the same item multiple times and get different results each time.  Why???

by: Randy This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 18 09:30:18 2016

People, generally, do NOT like change. When I go to a website I,ve purchased from in the past and find things have been changed (layout is way different, buttons have been moved, etc.), I don't want to have to learn something all over again, so I go on to a different site I am more familiar with.

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 18 15:21:33 2016

ALL of these are valid points-I most hate when I am trying to FIND something and ebay THINKS they know what i WANT--and they never ever actually DO.  Trying as some one mentioned to find a car---you get thousands of listings for not-a-car stuff.  There used to be some ways to drill down and avoid the millions of Chinese headlights and just find the PART you NEED--nowadays this is very hard and time consuming and often I wander off to some  other site that is interested in SELLING me what I NEED instead of forcing me to look at other items I DON'T WANT.

I try and sell on ebay so I try and support other sellers but---not if it takes me 30 minutes to find (maybe!)  what I came for when I can find it on Amazon or some other site in 2 minutes.

I have noticed this in other areas too--a local large supermarket chain (Price Chopper)  "rebranded"  themselves and re-did their stores'  they are now so confusing I avoid them and when I HAVE been in them I noticed that they dropped many many brands I USED to buy for walls of the SAME brand/item from floor to ceiling making it LOOK like they have a variety when what they DO have is a lot of ONE ITEM in an area--so you have a fancy shiny store with very little CHOICE.  And their store layout is now based on the IKEA "Racetrack"  model---so needless to say---I am not shopping there if I can avoid it!  And other shoppers are saying the same thing.  A HUGE costly mistake for a brand that had a good model to start with til the MBA's got their mitts on it.

This user has validated their user name. by: baconsdozen

Wed Apr 20 04:20:57 2016

I can imagine the conversation  in ebay towers. "People are still selling stuff on here,lets change something".

by: Mark4 This user has validated their user name.

Wed May 25 08:36:24 2016

Still trying to find the UPC for a 1931 Ford Shifter knob........