Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Sat Feb 20 2016 14:06:32

eBay Rolls Out Radical Changes to Seller Standards Today

Ding-dong, the DSRs are dead (sort of) - are sellers happy about eBay's new seller standards it rolled out today? As eBay announced as part of the Fall Seller Update:

Starting February 20, 2016, the following will no longer impact your defect rate:
- Buyer feedback
- Detailed seller ratings (DSRs)
- Returns requests that are successfully resolved with your buyer
- Items not received requests that are successfully resolved with your buyer

To be clear, DSRs and negative feedback still exist - here's how eBay explained it in September when it announced the new performance standards: "Negative and neutral buyer feedback and all detailed seller ratings (including those for ship time and items not as described) will not count toward your defect rate. They will continue to be displayed to buyers on the feedback profile page but will not impact seller performance evaluation."

You can find more information about what is changing and why on eBay's Fall Update landing page.

On Friday, eBay reminded sellers about the new standards and announced it will hold some sessions next week to discuss them.

- Facebook chat: Monday, February 22, 2016, 9:30-10:30 am PT
- eBay Radio: Tuesday, February 23, 2016, 12:15 pm PT
- Live community discussion board: Wednesday, February 24, 2016, 1-2 pm PT

Did you get any surprises today? How are the changes impacting your eBay account?

Perminate Link for eBay Rolls Out Radical Changes to Seller Standards Today   eBay Rolls Out Radical Changes to Seller Standards Today

by: This a joke, right? This user has validated their user name.

Sat Feb 20 14:42:12 2016

My sales have been so slow so long on eBay I have given up on any "improvement"

This user has validated their user name. by: FamFash

Sat Feb 20 14:50:19 2016

This is a huge step in the right direction; I am sure most sellers will agree. Although we still face the challenge of making sure we get that first scan at our local post, but for the most part a good move.

The huge problem we still face is the ''BEST MATCH'' which eBay describes as in the best interest for buyer experience, which is a catch all phrase really meaning ''best for eBay's profit as a company experience''.

I think I may have found the way they control part of this. Every 5-7 days eBay changes its third party authorizations in '' MY PREFERENCE SECTION'' in the accounts Tab.

Everyone go check. I have Data and have been tracking this for some time. Each time I go in and the 3rd party authorization that says (eBay Marketplace (created Feb-18-16 ) ), your date may be different and watch out for the ( EABY GLOBAL SELLER NEW ENVIRNMENT TEST), but each time my sales tank once I get a new creation date. A couple times in the past they helped sales were booming, then like clockwork they added me to another marketplace and literally over night sales stopped, then next eBay marketplace creation sales picked up and then after the next creation sales tank. So I have assumed with the data I have each ''Marketplace creation meaning you are either visible or invisible.

I Challenge people to start collecting data on this and see if you can see a trend.
In the past you could revoke this now they make you stay where they want you. Truth be told most of us are on the invisible marketplace!

Just food for thought, buyers are out there eBay just wants to share them with who they want that's all (i.e. china and diamond sellers). Exactly what Cassini was made for!

by: FeelingFroggy This user has validated their user name.

Sat Feb 20 15:14:11 2016

Why bother even displaying feedback. We all know those 100% people just rub it in. They aren't smart enough to know that the scammers, liars, thieves and slugs all have 100% and sellers could care less about if you do or don't.

If one doesn't like the feedback a seller has then just do the seller a favor and hit the back button. Or are you more interested in the price. HA HA

by: yesmikan This user has validated their user name.

Sat Feb 20 16:03:54 2016

I'm pretty pleased with the new standards. Shipping on time, not canceling orders, and resolving customer problems -- these are all things that I have direct control over as a seller.

One of the reasons I stopped chasing TRS in the past was that I had no control over factors like DSRs. One bidder gets a package a day late, leaves you 2 stars, and BOOM, there goes your TRS.

This is kind of shocking to even me, but I think I'm going to actually aim for TRS again now that I have more control over the variables.

This user has validated their user name. by: White Rabbit

Sat Feb 20 16:59:04 2016

well this has to be good news for most.I still do not understand why it took so long to implement these changes since it was announced in September? but regardless , glad to see them in place. Now if they would fix search that everyone wants fixed :-)

by: RCL This user has validated their user name.

Sat Feb 20 19:48:20 2016

I've split my business between eBay and Etsy. I thought I was a pretty good seller but see I am now below average. I send tracking numbers when asked, don't enter them. That seems like a small thing to me as a buyer since my items ship on time. My so-called DSRs are are all 5s. My feedback's 100% plus. Why bother?? I have many return customers--of years. Go figure. All eBay EVER does is disappoint me.

by: dans parts This user has validated their user name.

Sat Feb 20 21:34:07 2016

@FamFash -

I haven't checked my 3rd Party authorizations in a while, and had never seen these eBay Marketplace authorizations.

Currently, I have three of them.  One January 17, one February 15 and one February 16.

I see check boxes that will checkmark to revoke them, but haven't tried it.

What happens if you are able to revoke one?  Or all?

I know I was having a problem several months ago with something and revoking the Business Policies authorizations helped with it (this was just after they introduced them, and they apparently weren't working correctly - at least on my account), but almost as soon as I'd revoke one, it would re-appear (like within hours).

Sure is nice they continue to sneak things in on us, and never bother to inform us of what/why/when/where, etc.  That's apparently beyond their capabilities.

by: DingDong This user has validated their user name.

Sun Feb 21 09:09:39 2016

Hey!

Was this addressed to me ? ? ?

LOL

by: akik This user has validated their user name.

Sun Feb 21 11:10:27 2016

Did anyone else see the ''return rate'' option? I wonder if this will be used against us sellers... (of course it will)

er-Dashboard/td-p/25206910

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Sun Feb 21 11:24:05 2016

I suppose any positive news out of San Jose is good, but theres no way on planet earth that I "think that eBay is my friend, has my back or even cares if I live or die". LOL

Most eBay issues come from the bone headed idea that a "One sixe fits all policy" is the best way to run eBay aka "cohesion".

Like a good communist country - everybody needs to fall in line and do the same thing ..... great if its YOUR marketplace, but NOT GOOD if the marketplace is composed of thousands of sellers.

I dont sell the same things as RIC or Annie or Sparrow, Im sure my suppliers are vastly different then Maries (all names used as examples, not as specifics).

If all of us are different, how can we be the same?

Getting us to ship in 2 days (48 hrs like Amazon) is important - to buyers - and its understandable.

Returns, customer communication, customer service - by default and definition are all - will all be - different.

These updates are too little too late - but still welcome.

Nothing says "I dont care about you, just give me your money" more, like unfair standards and practices.

eBay has a LONG way to go, this is a baby step though in the right direction.

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Sun Feb 21 18:08:25 2016

AGAIN : Just visited one of my formerly favorite Ebay categories only to find less than 1500 items where there were over 125,000 at it's peak.
There is nothing good anymore.

by: cayenna This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 22 00:24:37 2016

I could care less anymore. I just do what I do and if I am I am. The day I am happy is when they stop feeing me to DEATH.

by: Alexb This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 22 00:27:43 2016

What good does this do me I was a good seller for many years in 2014 ebay restricted my seller account for no reason hey ebay you wanna do right reinstate my seller account.

by: JustTheFacts This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 22 00:57:03 2016

Just curious, has anyone that got  purged from ebay has been asked back?

You would think ebay would want to wipe the slate clean for anyone who was purged for only thinks like DSRS and feedback, especially when they clearly see it is such a FLAWED system and way too many people got punished from a very broken and flawed system.

Those that got booted for fraud and things like that is totally different.

by: BlueHoundAuctions This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 22 00:58:51 2016

Well, I have been out of eBay for 10 years because of the wire fraud that ebay has perpetrated with this DSR ratings and the inability to root out bad sellers.

It got to the point where I was losing $4,000 a month in transactions that were bad users who were scamming the site, and I was paying both ways.

Sorry eBay, but I am not coming back as a seller.  You have burned that bridge and now I can only think that your site is wrought with fraudulent activity.

by: handmedownheaven This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 22 01:19:34 2016

And what about all of us sellers with 100% feed back they kicked off feebay because their last brilliant idea was so great?  Guess we'll just stick to our website as many people we see talk about slow sales.

by: BargainzBabylon This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 22 01:55:05 2016

This is a very good start!

There still doesn't seem to be a very cohesive vision for the site, but at least this is a move in the right direction.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Mon Feb 22 02:50:43 2016

Does anyone know anything about this new Return Rate Percentage?  It is on the new dashboard about 2/3rds down the page.

I certainly could have missed it, but I don't remember seeing anything about this in the Fall Seller update or the recent Ebay announcement about the dashboard.

I'm just curious and it certainly could be an indicator of something to come?!?!?

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Mon Feb 22 07:17:56 2016

We won't be making a trip to the post office for a scan. We will continue to ship within 24 hours and upload tracking but this is the year 2016 and thanks to technology we don't stand in line at the post office.  If eBay expects this they are living in the past.

Postal workers often do not do their jobs, as in scanning packages. eBay continues to hold sellers accountable for things that are out of their control.

by: Beth This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 22 08:05:12 2016

To everyone who thinks this new setup is great? take off your rose-colored glasses.  Ebay's still out to get us and rid themselves of the noise.

Watch what happens to you when your packages don't get scanned or are delivered 30 seconds later than the buyer expects.

There is a new question UNDER the feedback scoring place, that asks Was Your Widget Delivered on Time?  And all the customer has to do is click  "no"  and you're screwed again

1 2 3  [Next Page]