eBay held an informational chat session about its new requirements around Product Identifiers. You can find a write-up in Friday's Newsflash article
, here are some key things you should know that came out of the session:
- The only GTIN (Global Trade Identification Number) currently recognized on eBay are 14-digit UPC and all ISBN numbers.
- eBay will soon make it possible to search by UPC, though buyers generally don't search on product identifiers directly.
- If you find a mistake in eBay's catalog when you enter a particular UPC, you can send an email to eBay requesting it correct its catalog data:
- If you use Turbo Lister, make sure you have the latest version to fix the UPC field limitation.
- Original categories for new listings went into effect June 29, 2015; Multivariation listings in the original categories went into effect on January 29, 2016; and additional categories and GTC (Good Til Cancelled) listings go into effect on February 29, 2016.
- If a PI is required for the category in which you are listing an item, and the required PI's are missing or unavailable:
a) For a missing or non-existent UPC, ISBN or MPN, type Does Not Apply
b) For unbranded items, select "Unbranded" from the Brand drop down list.
Here's a link to more information about Product Identifiers on the eBay website
What do you think of the Product Identifier requirements? Do you understand why eBay is mandating sellers add Product Identifiers, and are you ready?