Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Wed Dec 28 2016 21:08:33

eBay Shipping Slip Stresses Sellers

eBay stressed sellers over the holidays by failing to account for this week's Federal holiday, as we reported in yesterday's 411 newsletter. Despite the fact there was no mail on Monday and Post Offices were closed, eBay's shipping label software failed to take that into account.

Some sellers worried the perceived "late" acceptance scans might impact their performance standards (Top Rated Sellers who fail to meet shipping deadlines can lose their TRS discounts for those transactions and can potentially lose TRS status).

"This problem with Monday holidays has been going on for years," an eBay seller wrote.

A reader told us, "When this has happened in the past, sellers were hit with late shipment dings for not getting the acceptance scans yesterday for all the items sold on Friday, Sat and Sun. In the past this has cost many their TRS status and of course the 20% FVF discount."

The eBay error results in a waste of sellers' time and effort - and some sellers said dealing with the issue and with the frustrations of uninformed customer service reps caused their blood pressure to rise. "Sellers should not have to call CS to request that "late shipping" indicators be removed - they should not be logged in the first place," a seller pointed out.

Not helping matters is the fact that eBay customer service reps were giving out misinformation, according to some sellers.

"I just spoke with a US rep who said they are getting bombarded with calls, and that they ARE counting Monday as a normal shipping day because there were a lot of post offices still open to ship from," wrote one seller on this discussion board thread.

Sellers also raised the issue on the eBay weekly chat session today. Moderators assured sellers that they would be protected, though some remained skeptical.

"Would you please let the CS department know that Monday holidays are NOT shipping days? Obviously the reps were not given the correct information and have been telling callers the wrong thing," one seller wrote. They continued:

"And, yes, on 3 boards, I counted at least 8 separate topics on the subject of December 26. So please tell CS that Monday, January 2, is ALSO a federal holiday. (It's probably a holiday outside the U.S., too.) Make sure the bots are programmed to recognize federal holidays BY DATE as published on the USPS website. Then maybe sellers and buyers wouldn't get so upset about "late shipping" and bogus expectations."

Sellers pushed back hard against reassurances from eBay staff. One moderator offered this clarification about the impact on sellers:

"The Tracking Upload requirement wouldn't cause someone to fall Below Standard but it would have an impact on a Top Rated seller status. I haven't seen any mention about an email relating to this. Did you happen to receive one? If so, please forward it to askcommunity@eBay.com with the URL to this thread. I want to make sure you aren't being held accountable due to federal holidays."

Sellers should keep their blood pressure medicine handy - the Postal Service is observing the New Year holiday on Monday, January 2nd. "What, if anything, is being done to avoid a repeat on Monday, January 2," one eBay seller asked.

Perminate Link for eBay Shipping Slip Stresses Sellers   eBay Shipping Slip Stresses Sellers

This user has validated their user name. by: eXtinctBay

Wed Dec 28 21:31:25 2016

If eBay says the late shipment ''dings'' will be fixed, I trust them. As much as most everyone bashes the Bay on these boards, they have to and will do the right thing here.

This (the worry amongst sellers) illustrates how important that TRS discounts are. I will tell you that are of high value to my business!

by: blaumann2 This user has validated their user name.

Wed Dec 28 23:18:04 2016

I realized the TRS symbol meant nothing. I decided the 20% was not worth the problems. 3 day shipping for me. I love it.

by: Vernfern This user has validated their user name.

Wed Dec 28 23:21:05 2016

And further more, FedEx home / ground was closed from evening pickup on Thursday to Tuesday. Depending on where we take our packages, no scan was done a day before and a day after the holiday weekend. I took my packages to a FedEx copy center just to get them scanned - not my normal drop off.

This user has validated their user name. by: cfrphoto

Wed Dec 28 23:21:12 2016

It is time to move eBay customer service call centers back on shore. Then, at least, agents would know what day it is.

by: handmedownheaven This user has validated their user name.

Wed Dec 28 23:54:17 2016

Each time we complete a sale, we send them a message with the return policy, tracking number and a thank you.  On items that sold Friday or Saturday, we added the comment due to the Christmas holiday, the post office is closed and your item will be scanned Tuesday.  Hope it worked lol

by: forrosebud This user has validated their user name.

Thu Dec 29 00:00:41 2016

@Vernfern  dropped a 13 lb pkg off at a (regular) FedEx location last Thurs. afternoon for a 'home delivery' from CA to Oregon.  Delivered on Sat. 12/24. What's up with the FedEx in your location?

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Thu Dec 29 00:11:45 2016

I called ebafia customer service on Christmas and asked about this very issue. I was assured THREE times that ebafia wouldn't assess late shipment defects.

We'll see.

by: comments This user has validated their user name.

Thu Dec 29 01:50:55 2016

Ebay is wrong about being any shipping. USPS.com clearly states that Monday was Christmas (observed) and as such there was no facility opened nor were scheduled pick ups offered. Monday had the same value as Thanksgiving or New Years Day according to the postoffice and to say otherwise is just wrong.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Thu Dec 29 03:35:55 2016

With that said, there is no need to panic or over react right now.  We certainly need to keep a close eye on it.

It is very important to remember that Ebay changed how On Time Shipping is verified back in February of this year.  Instead of being dependent on the acceptance scan, we now have 3 different ways that Ebay is now allowing on time shipping to be verified.  Any one of the 3 ways is enough.  So if the acceptance scan doesn't happen correctly there are two other ways in which it can be verified.

It is any ONE of these ways that your on time matrix is evaluated on.

1.  The acceptance scan from the carrier that they pick up your package.

OR

2.  It is scanned as delivered within the ETA on the Ebay transaction record.

OR

3.  When they buyer leaves FB they can check a box that says the item was delivered within the ETA window stated on the transaction.

So if your item does not show a scan within your stated handling time but it does show a scan as being delivered within your ETA window on the transaction, all is good and you will not have a ding on your on time shipping matrix.

So while counting Monday as a shipping day [if that is what Ebay is doing] is absolutely a problem, we do still have some hope left that these shipments will still be counted as on time.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Thu Dec 29 07:52:37 2016

Since sellers don't actually do the delivering, I have never understood why this is a metric that sellers are measured by. If the seller prints the label within 24 hours that should be enough.  Sellers are dependent on their delivery service to get the package there.  They have no control over this once they have printed the label and given the package to their carrier.

Since such a system punishes small offenses with heavy penalties, sellers need to be given a few passes. Weather and logistics problems are going to affect a percentage of package delivery and this should be accounted for.

Of course we all know that eBay makes more money when they don't have to dole out TSR discounts so there isn't a whole lot of incentive for them to change this.  I for one don't expect eBay to continue to give those discounts for very  much longer.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Dec 29 08:42:26 2016

"This is a problem and hopefully Ebay will pull it together soon and correct the incorrect info flowing freely from CSRs."

Me thinks people doth protest too much ......

eBay is a shipping partner with USPS and Fed Ex. They have the calendar and the list of what services are available when.

SO, why does this issue even have to arise? Why doesnt eBay "know" whats what and program its punishment machine properly?

Why is it that SELLERS always get beat up on by "their partner"?

Bottom line - and Ill swear to this to my grave - its ALWAYS EBAY that causes the problems. This issue should NEVER have existed, and wouldnt have if eBay would JUST DO THE RIGHT THING - which always seems to much for eBay.

Punished sellers = more money (saving that %20 TRS discount) for mob boss John Donohue aka "Little Johny D" mafia kingpin. I guess the capos told the street people (cs agents) to make sure the take is EXTRA heavy over the holiday weekend.

So goes it when you deal with criminals.

by: ebay refugee camp This user has validated their user name.

Thu Dec 29 10:11:40 2016

Last year this happened and ebay did not count it right either and we were dinged Christmas was on a Friday. Saturday and Sunday are not business days and ebay dinged us. We had to call ebay and fight with them to get it removed. Those of you stating ebay will fix this and that users are complaining too much are wrong.
My family has had a online business for 18 years and ebay has been less that honest and resistant to cooperation for all of that time.
We sell on many channels and ebay is the worst by far. I retired last year but I still consult and try to give advice and the problems they have ARE ALWAYS WITH EBAY.
The business is cutting back on ebay because ebay is under performing a lot. The items are selling elsewhere 5 to 1 and the stress ebay creates with its greed policies is not worth it.
Why pay ebay a huge store fee when they refuse to get our items to the search engines. I have seen other company's fall and ebay is falling their greed, their courting of and giving help to chinese sellers is completely wrong and have put US sellers in a bind.
Those of you who think ebay is trustworthy clearly are not in the loop or are being paid to cheerlead for ebay. Facts are facts and ebay's track record is deplorable.
If it were not for ebay's deep political ties and legal system ties, that have enabled them to escape litigation and trade laws they would be gone.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Thu Dec 29 11:14:45 2016

@ pace306

you ASSUME that this is an eBay problem. Did it ever occur to you that maybe the US Postal Service programming allowed eBay to buy labels with the wrong date?

I would venture to guess that the root of this problem came from the US Postal Service not eBay!

by: simerivergun This user has validated their user name.

Thu Dec 29 11:16:06 2016

USPS have failed to scan packages that were put in the bins at the Post Office in December.  Ebay has dinged my account for 62 late shipment packages which puts me out of Top Rated Plus Seller.  When I called Ebay they told me they had a contract with USPS and that all packages must be scanned.
The Post Office said they were under-staffed and just sent the packages forward with no tracking scan.  Now I am standing in line everyday to be assured that I get my packages scanned.  Ebay would not make adjustments even if the packages were delivered on time or even ahead of time.  They just didn't have the acceptance scan put up until way down the chain.  I learned my lesson.  STAND IN LINE AND GET A TICKET RECEIPT EVEN WITH HUNDREDS OF PACKAGES.  USPS cannot refuse you a scan since you have paid for it.  This lesson cost me my 20% discount for TRSPlus

This user has validated their user name. by: FEEbay

Thu Dec 29 11:49:42 2016

We switched 1 of our 3 selling accounts to 5 day handling time, 7 day returns, 20% restock fee as an experiment over the Holidays, and guess what?? Less stress, no carrot jumping,almost ZERO Returns, and sales were just fine.... Ebay can take their 20% discount and CRAM IT!!

by: BigMama This user has validated their user name.

Thu Dec 29 12:01:55 2016

I am a computer programmer for a mid sized company and we've had 'holiday' shipping logic in place for years.   This is very important in dealing with EDI (Electronic Data Interchagne), performance score cards from trading partners, and a whole host of other logic.  We have a file that contains the holidays in them and those do not count as valid shipping days.  Of course, the logic is much more complicated for the various applications, but my point is that if a mid sized company can get this correct why can't eBay?  Probably because they outsource everything to India.  I've made a ton of money correcting off-shore programming mistakes.  CEO's and CIO's miss the picture.  They might save a few dollars on an hourly contract programming/IT rate, but then what do they spend on the cleanup?  Don't get me started.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Thu Dec 29 12:06:00 2016

@ Bigmama

eBay outsources shipping labels from Pitney Bowes.

I would venture to guess the problem is with them or the USPS.

Everyone's jumping to conclusions that this is eBay's fault. . .

by: Toledo Maude This user has validated their user name.

Thu Dec 29 12:26:03 2016

Ebay sellers with packages/orders to ship?  I am envious!

For whatever reason, the reprecussions from the first negative feedback in several years, eBay hatred of small sellers, or eBay search engine that does not search, this eBay Christmas sales have been the worst on record.  17 years the worst.

Listing the same collectable items on Etsy, my Etsy Christmas sales are three times what they were in 2015 matching eBay 2015 sales.

I feel sorry for all the eBay sellers that must to divert time from their business to correct eBay's mean spirited foolishness.

by: I Must be Crazy This user has validated their user name.

Thu Dec 29 12:51:39 2016

@toolguy....

You can't be serious? The problem is not with Pitney Bowes, USPS or any other entity other than Ebay. If it were anyone else's mistake, a letter from the Ebay ''yes man'' PR department would already be out addressing the issue and pointing fault. Ebay is conspicuously mum which points to known guilt.

Ebay is LAZY. They are too busy trying to read buyers' minds and entrap innocent sellers into offsite sales violations to take the time to worry about the basics of running their business. Ebay makes the rules and has a duty to make sure they are enforced.

I did my part. Printed all the labels and dropped packages off on time. Every one of them was scanned on time as expected by the USPS. Yet I have 25 shipments without tracking acceptance. I don't care about my TRS discount as much as I worry about how Cassini is calculating my placement in search. To a computer algorithm I appear to have not shipped 25 of my most recent orders. That is a huge problem. Cassini monitors EVERYTHING. You can bet my lack of any sales since yesterday afternoon has everything to do with Cassini intervening because it thinks that I am not keeping up my end.

Ebay is not doing their job. If any of us operated the way Ebay does business we would be guard railed off the site. I am half inclined to empty my Paypal and bank accounts so they can't get their fees. But that would be stupid since they will dip into every credit card and bank account I have until they find their money.

by: BigMama This user has validated their user name.

Thu Dec 29 17:27:16 2016

@Toolguy...the software that determines if you are late on packages that fits in with their 20% discount and Top Rated Seller status has nothing to do with Pitney Bowes or USPS shipping labels.  It has everything to do with their own internal custom software.