Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Sat Dec 10 2016 10:22:42

eBay and Etsy Run Promotions in Holiday Homestretch

eBay and Etsy are running promotions to capture last-minute holiday shoppers. Etsy is working to attract first-time buyers - if they spend $50 in an Etsy shop, they can receive a $10 credit toward a future purchase on Etsy (read more here).

eBay is taking a different approach - it will run a major marketing campaign on Green Monday, which it called one of its most lucrative sales days in December. It pointed out that December 12th is less than two weeks before Christmas and the start of Hanukkah.

Here's what eBay has planned:

- It will run what it's calling an on-site "takeover" campaign, "meaning our main imagery and homepage messaging will be Green Monday-themed."

- It is "drumming up business" via email, investing in paid search and social campaigns

- It's running a site-takeover on a well-known news/pop culture site ("you'll see which one soon - it's a surprise," eBay explained).

eBay is urging sellers to take advantage of its Green Monday marketing campaign by running promotions of their own - "Don't close up shop and set your Store on vacation mode just yet," it advised.

That's an acknowledgement that some sellers prefer to put their stores on vacation when it comes close to Christmas, fearing packages might not arrive in time for gift-giving, which might result in negative feedback from disappointed shoppers.

Will you be taking advantage of eBay’s Green Monday promotion?

What do you do to reduce missed deliveries/disappointed customers - do you expedite shipping? Do you pause your selling activity before Christmas?

Perminate Link for eBay and Etsy Run Promotions in Holiday Homestretch   eBay and Etsy Run Promotions in Holiday Homestretch

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Sat Dec 10 14:33:58 2016

I will appreciate any help I can get for sales.  While I am currently getting some sales, it is no where near previous years.  So yes, I will do what I can enhance my chances on Green Monday.

Ebay should have been running all ads more often than they have.  I see their commercial on TV only once in a while.  It should be more often.

by: dans parts This user has validated their user name.

Sat Dec 10 15:48:42 2016

Would have loved to take advantage of Green Monday, but I use auctions exclusively, not Fixed Price, so their offers of 500 free FP on all my accounts will go unused.

Could have listed 3500+ auctions, you dimbulbs.  And how much in FVF's is that, even with the unbelievably bad sell-through ratio?

Make up your mind.  Are you really going to return to roots (an auction-BUILT platform) or continue to copy Amazon (nothing but commodities, all at FP)?

This user has validated their user name. by: IDKwhoIare

Sun Dec 11 11:17:08 2016

I usually close up my online store(s) when there are 10 bus. days before xmas.  I cater to early shoppers with early deals and selection. I want to have time for and enjoy my xmas prep & family too.

When eBay kept screwing up access to listings and the site in October of 2015 (& 2104), I closed down the eBay store. There was no point in having one if I was going to miss out on the early shoppers.  Etsy store stayed open until the last day USPS claimed First Class Packages would arrive in time and did very well.

Sales this year on Etsy have been pretty dismal.  So I will probably shut down on the morning of the 13th this year...for all I know that is USPS last day.  I have not been paying attention with so little to do this holiday season.

Will have lots to think about when I review the big picture and set goals for selling in January.  2017 may be the year I dump supplies and retire or go completely off these useless venues.  If I am going to have no exposure on them, I might as well try new places and not sell there too! :) The local antique malls and consignment stores have been my best investment of time for 2016.  They are open until Christmas Eve day & no shipping :)

Thinking of monetized pins on Pinterest.  I seem to get a lot of attention there.  They are the only reason I have sales on Etsy at all.  Everyone who has bought in the last few months saw my stuff on Pinterest and clicked through to Etsy.  Etsy did absolutely nothing for me. So I will be looking into cutting them out of the loop.  Sigh.

Happy Holidays to all!

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Sun Dec 11 16:41:52 2016

It's HOPELESS. With very few exceptions, both sites are pushing re-re-relisted junk. Only once in a blue moon is there something worth a second look, much less worth purchasing.

by: Volvo351 This user has validated their user name.

Sun Dec 11 18:21:54 2016

Sell-thru on feeBay has hit rock bottom. Even unique and price-leading items aren't moving. Nothing but crickets. But, look on the bright side: all the stuff I have LISTED juices that ridiculous GMV metric!

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Sun Dec 11 23:47:50 2016

geez ... spending so much energy and time for commercials no one cares about ..... NOT ONE person will become a convert to the cult of eBay from them ....

When the solution is SO SIMPLE - stop raping your sellers - just STOP.

Do you know how many new buyers would flock to eBay if every angry ripped off seller all of a sudden liked eBay and promoted it? 10000s!

stupid people take the long way round just because ... just to prove some inane point.

the easiest answer is always the simplest and most direct .....

unless you come from San Jose... (do you know the way to San Jose?)(I wish I didnt!)

they must have known - even back then ...

"Dreams turn into dust and blow away
And there you are without a friend
You pack your car and ride away"

by: Sierra This user has validated their user name.

Mon Dec 12 00:12:54 2016

I'll be continuing to list holiday items on Etsy ... Christmas stockings & ornaments, in particular.

by: Art-in-part This user has validated their user name.

Mon Dec 12 04:12:04 2016

We use the Campaigngo software to increase sales...

by: Flying Childers This user has validated their user name.

Mon Dec 12 08:09:58 2016

IDK- very astute comments about Etsy.  Same for everyone else.  It's been a rotten year for sellers all around for so many reasons.

As long as E&E continue to screw around with our visibility, as they have admitted, all the advertising in the world is not going to  help us.

Etsy techs have written articles detailing how they manipulate search.  So no matter how good your photos, SEO, price, etc.  you will never be found.

If buyers can't find you, how can they buy your products?
Welcome to the Crooked Casino, where the house always wins.

by: Whatever This user has validated their user name.

Mon Dec 12 09:56:36 2016

Closing up shop on Friday but not for the reasons you think. My grandson is home for 13 days from the army - whatever sales I lose will be worth it to spend quality time with him.

This user has validated their user name. by: baconsdozen

Tue Dec 13 13:00:21 2016

I thought some while back that ebay just couldn't get any worse.Boy was I wrong,sales are pretty much non existant and unless you like buying cheap Chinese junk there is not much point looking.Happily my own site provides many more sales and makes flogging ebays dead horse an even more pointless exercise.My,how the mighty have fallen.

by: strife This user has validated their user name.

Wed Dec 14 13:17:54 2016

@baconsdozen...I hear you...Not only are sales non-existent but eBay is now over-billing and refusing to refund. I wonder how many sellers they have stolen from in the last several months. I can clearly show my billing is $21 less thatn what I have paid them yet the Filipino retards (the only people you can ever get through to any more) basically just lie and refuse to refund. And they have you, what are you going to do, sue them? I planned on being out of there by now and am working toward it albeit more slowly than I would like. I will feel so good when I kill my acount and tell eBay to KISS MY A$$!

This user has validated their user name. by: NiciArt

Wed Dec 14 16:49:51 2016

Based on my observations, the captains were somewhat asleep at the helm and simply expected holiday shopping to proceed as it has every other year without massive advertising campaigns. We could probably debate the cause of the recent sales slump and speculate about the elections, Brexit, healthcare costs, general economic uncertainty, or just spending time with family will take priority over shopping this year.

I noticed Etsy was really promoting my shop in Google Shopping on Monday and business was great, however at this point in the game, there's only so much time to make up for the slow start. As grateful as I am to see Etsy better late than never, I wish they had acted a lot sooner with their promotion blitz

Looking ahead to 2017, the question will become is what is my ROI on venues vs self marketing? Am I better off investing more into venues and let them do my marketing or should I use that same budget towards live shows and events?

Etsy and Amazon Handmade both delivered some very solid business for the 2016 holiday season, but there are too many successful sellers seeing slower sales this year which has me incredibly concerned in the year ahead.