Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Sat Nov 5 2016 20:36:40

eBay Chokes Buyer-Seller Communication

eBay sellers are unable to respond to questions from would-be buyers, and some are concerned they will lose sales as a result (imagine shoppers' reaction to being ignored). Compounding matters is eBay's failure to communicate the problem despite the launch of a new status dashboard.

Sellers reported the problem on the eBay discussion boards over the last couple of days, such as this thread ("Message Center not working") where a seller said they were unable to reply to a question from a potential buyer, and were also unable to use the "contact member" feature as a potential workaround.

Another seller responded and said the problem occurred on certain browsers and wrote, "I have been using Mozilla & Firefox for 2 days now just to answer questions. It's a pain for me and Ebay says 48hrs for fix."

There were several other threads on the eBay Technical Issues board where users reported the problem. On this thread ("NOV 4th 2016 I am unable to reply to messages. there appears to be an wide spread issues"), a moderator wrote on Friday:

"Our tech teams are investigating this issue right now; if you could email askcommunity @eBay.com from the address on file with a short description of the error you are running into, I'll be happy to add your account to the list of affected users. The more examples we have the faster we can get to the bottom of this for a fix!"

The problem may also be impacting buyers, though we've only see one such report where a user wrote on the same thread, "unable to contact seller also! has been doing this since 11/1/16."

Another seller posted to the thread, "Also can't respond. Have 4 customers looking for answers. Hope not to lose the sale."

The following report came in on Ecommerce EKG on Saturday morning:

"Past couple days cannot respond to messages on eBay. No place to type my message, cannot attach photos. Also tried to send a message through contact a member; same issue. Just shows my signature, blocked from writing any message/attaching any photos."

eBay recently launched a new dashboard for communicating technical issues to users, replacing its old Systems Announcement Board that it closed last month after years of disuse. Launched last week, an eBay executive referred to the new page as a "redesigned system status board that provides real-time, automated updates on issues related to eBay services."

And, eBay Vice President Bob Kupbens wrote:

Despite an eBay moderator having acknowledged the technical issue on the discussion boards, the brand new dashboard has been displaying green for "All services in Good Health."

Perminate Link for eBay Chokes Buyer-Seller Communication   eBay Chokes Buyer-Seller Communication

This user has validated their user name. by: bitbybit

Sat Nov 5 21:34:03 2016

Only on eBay...where the technical issues dashboard would experience technical issues with one of the issues being the dashboard displaying incorrectly "all services in good health". Where would I report this? lol...rinse and repeat....

This user has validated their user name. by: bitbybit

Sat Nov 5 22:20:17 2016

''What we've got here is failure to communicate'' cool hand luke

I guess eBay has finally answered the conundrum of allowing sellers to communicate to buyers by having no communication.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Sat Nov 5 23:19:37 2016

Ah, yes but we have a newly re designed sign in page that works perfectly if you don't mind signing in a half dozen times or so daily.

Such improvement.

To be expected from the gang who couldn't program straight.

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Sun Nov 6 05:07:17 2016

As a buyer (when I was using Ebay) I never got a notice that my offer was accepted. Sometimes I would forget to look at "My Purchases" to see if my offer was accepted. Of course if I didn't respond right away , it made me look like a potential deadbeat.
Ebay has made us look bad in one way or another.
Ebay needs to die off and make way for a Modern, Functional, Affordable Auction Venue. Don't "Re-invent" Ebay, don't "Re-imagine" Ebay, just kill it.
BTW : Not one real signed Tiffany item can be found any more. It's officially dry. NONE of the good things I used to buy can be found. It's all gone.
Now, there's an entire untapped market out there again. People would rather sit on their stuff than contribute to some undeserving idiot's golden parachute.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Sun Nov 6 07:56:27 2016

As said so well by Nelson Muntz (Simpsons) "HA-HA!"

Stupid eBay ... ecommerce ISNT for kids!

by: gizmo This user has validated their user name.

Sun Nov 6 08:52:52 2016

So , what has changed?

by: Snapped This user has validated their user name.

Sun Nov 6 09:42:17 2016

."This new dashboard is your source of truth for technical issues related to the eBay platform."

Well Bob, we always knew the truth of eBay to be technical incompetence, disguised by falsehood, and flavored with hypocrisy.

Thanks for confirming it though.

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Sun Nov 6 11:48:34 2016

ALSO > Caught the ol' John Donahoe making a speech the other day.
Seems he's now going around to these elite brain washing institutes selling the idea that You, the Undeserving, deserve that for which you did not honestly labor. And don't feel guilty about grabbing up all you can get your undeserving hands on and to hell with everybody else.
This is a very dangerous mindset.
We need to euthanize it immediately.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Sun Nov 6 13:41:51 2016

@ The End

John Donohoe is a narcissistic clinical sociopath so this concept is perfectly consistent with his behavior.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Sun Nov 6 14:41:59 2016

I was actually going to write ecommercebytes about this.  Any time I have ever had a buyer file a case for a return I have had a message in my inbox. Do you know when that email arrived?  AFTER the return was closed in the buyer's favor. I never even had a chance to respond because I never got an email or notification.  I guess now I have to go to past solds every day to check 30 days back for cases.

And people wonder why I never have anything good to say about ebay.

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Sun Nov 6 15:04:02 2016

To : Ming the Merciless  >
What You said  :o)

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Sun Nov 6 15:27:50 2016

@Rexford - Whenever I hear about something like that, I wonder if it was intentional so you couldn't dispute the case. You have to keep those buyers happy and coming back to buy more that eBay will get FVFs on.

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 7 05:30:28 2016

I didn't have a problem answering questions.  I think it's a browser issue.  I never use IE - only if I have to.  I use FF or Vivaldi and have no issues.
I think this bashing of EB is unfair.  Every website has glitches, every single one, even AMZ.

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 7 05:31:18 2016

^^
That would be counter productive. And bad business.

by: frustrated This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 7 06:24:32 2016

Well it wouldn't matter if they DID send a message about a buyer escalating a case, they decide in the buyers favor in less than 5 minutes.  So unless you sit ALL DAY just refreshing your messages, you'll miss it.

Makes me understand why I see many sellers saying "HEY I just refund them all right away. No sense losing $1,000 in sales over a $22.00 item....:

More serious though, is that I am not getting about 20% of my offers to my inbox. I stopped even checking there, and just use the Selling Manager Pro dashboard. Too bad they decided for some idiotic reason to do away with that.

WHO TOLD THEM WE WANT THAT??

I assume they couldn't care less.

by: Flying Childers This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 7 07:42:27 2016

I thought it was just Etsy that had the make believe tech staff.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rural artist

Mon Nov 7 07:57:23 2016

This is where small sellers should not use automatic refunds. I had a buyer who bought a doll dress, when she got it, she thought the doll came with. She explained in her auto refund it was her fault ect. I communicated with her and sold her the doll too. Just a side note, hope it helps.

by: blaumann This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 7 09:14:17 2016

On the subject of only certain browsers working. I was using sea monkey. A Firefox variant. One day I could no longer print ebay labels. Not in Firefox either. I now have to use Opera browser.
A billion dollar company with $1.98 IT.

by: val2525 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 7 11:23:51 2016

A couple of years ago I was on the phone with an eBay tech and he mentioned that part of the problem was they only had IE on their computers and weren't allowed to install any other browsers. He said that was a big reason why the techs couldn't recreate the issues eBay members were calling in about.  Wouldn't surprise me at all if this is still the case, especially if the same person in charge of internal IT is still in charge.

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 7 12:03:45 2016

Only  on FleaBay  does  "Business not at  all"  mean "Business as  usual".

I  "get"  that they want NO  communication  between buyer and seller because they are TERRIFIED  that  a seller might  go  rogue  and  sell  OFF OF EBAY.  (Clutches  pearls----)     But--do  they  FAIL to understand  that  if a buyer  NEEDS   more  info--of  whatever kind--and they don't GET  that info--they are NOT GOING TO BUY ON  EBAY?

Are  they  seriously THAT stupid?

No---don't  answer  that.

(I  have had  only  one  Q  from  a potential  buyer very recently  and  as far as I  KNOW  the info-in both  English and Spanish- went  out  OK--but--how would you KNOW  if  this were SO?  I  am  on  Win10 CHROME here.)

@ming  and @ The End::::   Donahoe  is a shill for a certain  political  party  that  wants  to  piss  on  us  and pray  we  think  it is raining.  IT  is headed  now  by a mangled marmalade moron.  As a Public  Service  Announcement  I am here to say::::  VOTE as if  your life and your  business depends  on it.  Because  THIS year--it  really DOES.