Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Thu Nov 3 2016 21:57:11

eBay Explains Its New Browse Pages

eBay talks frequently to Wall Street about what it sees as the benefits of its Structured Data Initiative, but not so much with sellers. On Thursday, however, it took to its blog to explain its new Browse pages.

The new pages are made possible by eBay's requirement that sellers add Product Identifiers to their listings (UPC codes, for example). eBay gave an example of how it uses the new Browse pages to provide a different experience to shoppers.

For visitors who came to eBay after typing a term like "toaster oven" into a search engine like Google, it now shows them a new Browse page.

"In the past, that click might have landed you on an eBay search-results page full of random toaster listings with no context or purchasing guidance. You might have even been overwhelmed with the options and no closer to determining what toaster to buy.

"Not anymore. With our new browse pages, the results are organized in a way that helps buyers see what's broadly available on eBay, but also equips them with the information needed to move quickly from consideration to purchase.

"They can narrow down their selection based on Brand, Features, popularity, and more. And, if they're curious about how other buyers rank a certain model, they don't have leave eBay to do their research - they can access product reviews and even guides from this one page."

eBay described 4 benefits to sellers  - but this applies only to listings where sellers have added UPC codes, ISBNs, or other Product Identifiers that would connect the listing to a product Browse page:
  • Your item will get more exposure.
  • Browsers will be exposed to items they didn’t know they needed.
  • Shoppers will have all of the information they need to make a purchase.
  • eBay Browse pages will come up more naturally in search.
You can read the full post here.

Have you noticed eBay's new Browse pages? What do you think of them?

Perminate Link for eBay Explains Its New Browse Pages   eBay Explains Its New Browse Pages

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Fri Nov 4 00:00:35 2016

I'll reserve final judgement until I've used it, but one thing I know for certain when I'm looking to buy something.

I DON'T NEED or WANT ebafia's "purchasing guidance."

I suspect this is just another way of funneling more sales to ebafia's preferred sellers.

by: funkygrrl This user has validated their user name.

Fri Nov 4 09:14:30 2016

Sounds like they are trying to add filters like on Amazon, which I think is a good thing. I looked at their blog post and then did a search in Ebay and no browse page came up. So I guess this is only affecting certain categories?

by: hopeforthebest This user has validated their user name.

Fri Nov 4 11:38:36 2016

All I know is that on Amazon when you type in a search term, you don't see all the offerings available, only the ones THEY want to show you, at the price THEY like.

I'd prefer to make my own choices, thank you.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Fri Nov 4 12:56:36 2016

If they want to do filters fine, but let me have control of them.  Give us a check list to use if we want to, don't make decisions for me.  I'm a big girl and can do that myself.  I resent it when they think they know more than I do about what I want.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Fri Nov 4 13:05:26 2016

"Browsers will be exposed to items they didn’t know they needed."

Excuse me, eBay, but I know the items I need or want. I don't need used aircraft tools. I don't need dog leashes. I don't need stiletto heel boots. Just let me find what I want to buy!

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Fri Nov 4 16:24:54 2016

Just more manipulation.  This is why I do not buy anything on eBay.

by: Snapped This user has validated their user name.

Sat Nov 5 06:54:44 2016

"Browsers will be exposed to items they didn’t know they needed."

"We talk and listen to customers, but for this kind of technology, customers don't always know whatthey want." - J. Donohoe, Sept. 2007.

Ahhh, the ghost of arrogance past.  And present.  And future.

Be afraid.  Be very afraid.

by: Jester This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 7 03:28:26 2016

I have seen it and while I think it will help buyers find what they want faster as a seller doing research it's a slight pain for this to pop up for every search I am doing. I wish as a seller eBay would give me a chance to opt out to a cleaner shopping experience call it research mode.

This user has validated their user name. by: bitbybit

Mon Nov 7 05:31:00 2016

and once again, the antiques and collectibles are being treated by eBay as dust in the wind.

by: blaumann This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 7 09:24:24 2016

I sell older items. No UPC no numbers at all. Moe nothing from ebay.

by: sickandtired This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 7 14:05:03 2016

I despair of what my potential customers see when searching for the kind of items I sell....flatware, china, antiques and collectables.

I research prices before I list a lot of my pieces so I see what kid of results are being foisted on shoppers.  If a person is looking for a particular china pattern, I fail to see the value of showing them things that bear no resemblance to their search criteria while at the same time hiding some items that actually match the pattern or maker they are looking for.

One of the biggest mistakes ever in search was eliminating wild card search. It was an invaluable tool for buyers and sellers both.

Ina ran the experiment of "what do you see" when searching and I'm sure many of you have done the same kind of thing on your own. Bottom line is that ebay is manipulating search in many ways and sellers are victims of this underhanded practice. Would likely be illegal if not for the fact that we are forced to agree to be boned in the TOS if we want to use the site.

by: Cindy This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 7 17:25:58 2016

Funny when you type in "toaster oven" in Google, eBay doesn't even come up on the first page.  Amazon is first.

by: AmzBay Seller This user has validated their user name.

Wed Nov 16 01:51:19 2016

Has anyone else noticed now that if you list using product details (i.e. eBay's catalog) they default turn on the "add additional info". If clogs up the top folds of your listings and looks awful.

We've had to stop using it now until something changes. A/B and Peer testing resounded that it was a total turn off.