Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Sun Oct 30 2016 13:27:32

Where Have All the eBay Promos Gone?

"Where the hell are any selling promotions," an eBay seller asked recently in this thread on the eBay boards. But while the seller said they hadn't seen any in a long time, some others piped up and said they had received invitations to participate in free-listing promotions, including the following:

500 free auction listings (Aug 24)
500 free auction or FP listings (Sep 7)
500 free auction listings (Sep 19)
500 free FP listings (Oct 26)

But while some sellers are receiving invitations, it's not your imagination if you think there are fewer seller promotions than in the past.

As we reported in our 411 coverage of eBay's October 19th quarterly earnings call, eBay CEO Devin Wenig told Wall Street analysts that he's doing fewer seller incentives and concentrating instead on brand advertising on TV and social networking sites.

What may be of greater concern to sellers is that Wenig also said eBay is running fewer buyer incentive promotions. As we reported, "Wenig explained eBay was shifting marketing spend away from buyer coupons, seller incentives, and inventory incentives towards top of the funnel marketing to work on eBay's brand image among consumers."

If you were in charge of eBay marketing and had only a fixed budget, where would you spend it? Attracting sellers or buyers or both? And what approach would you take to bringing more buyers to the site?

Perminate Link for Where Have All the eBay Promos Gone?   Where Have All the eBay Promos Gone?

by: Frank Abagnale This user has validated their user name.

Sun Oct 30 13:52:56 2016

"eBay's brand image among consumers".

Are you kidding me?

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Sun Oct 30 15:26:09 2016

A few World Series ads wouldn't hurt

Why Strike Out on other sites?

"Hit a Home Run with eBay"

by: Mongoose This user has validated their user name.

Sun Oct 30 15:33:28 2016

The thing we have to remember is Unlucky the Winner is a paid ebay troll, so like the vast majority of people that work for ebay, he lies for a living.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Sun Oct 30 15:56:20 2016

Once again ebafia and The Devil know exactly what's needed to re vitalize this sorry marketplace.

They just refuse to implement and re implement these things in favor of instituting lame changes in favor of self glorifying bravado and techno babble that will never revitalize ebafia.

They are in breach of their fiduciary responsibilities, Wall Street.

by: FeelingFroggy This user has validated their user name.

Sun Oct 30 17:00:12 2016

Gee give the people something for free and they expect it all the time. Maybe they should try paying for something instead of having their hands out all the time.

by: alaska This user has validated their user name.

Sun Oct 30 21:40:52 2016

Maybe eBay has finally figured out that the free listings have ruined the site with excessively overpriced items and extremely boring junk, especially in the vintage collectibles and antiques categories. Searching eBay for quality vintage collectibles and antiques is now such a painful experience that most of the serious collectors don't bother to search or browse anymore.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Sun Oct 30 22:41:03 2016

"funnel marketing to work on eBay's brand image among consumers"

there isnt enough money on this planet to fix eBays reputation.

eBays bad rep comes from the top down, and if they would just stop hating sellers (ie using them, condoning theft from them, allowing companies with no "real reason" to VERO them (my last VERO challenge came from a company that used Wikipedia as a legal source and VERO saw nothing wrong with that) and stop all the other nasty things they do .. then MAYBE their reputation would improve.

Since when sellers like me, regale the stories of theft and fraud ... buyers go running!

As for promos .... as said above - too many free listings promos cheapens the value of a listing since "it was free".

Large companies dump via XML entire inventories and the Chinese just pile on as well.

The question is really thoguh ... "what value do listings have to EBAY". We know how sellers feel - are they important to eBay or is it a marketing ploy for Wall St to show how much "content" they have?

There are many good sellers here and other places - small ones that get ignored. Maybe spend some of those millions investing in those smaller sellers, promote them, give them top of the page treatment etc .. then things will improve.

Until then its %3 city!

by: BobNJ This user has validated their user name.

Sun Oct 30 23:40:01 2016

I've been on eBay since 1999 and have been collecting eBay bucks every quarter since it started. This is the first quarter in all that time that I probably will not find enough to buy on eBay to unlock my eBay bucks. My category used to have 2,000 to 3,000 items all the time but now only has about 400-500 and of those only 60-80 are recent auctions and all the rest are recycling fixed priced items that never sell. I moved to Delcampe and there are over 10,000 items in my category there.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Sun Oct 30 23:51:22 2016

@ Pace

You say: "Maybe spend some of those millions investing in those smaller sellers, promote them, give them top of the page treatment etc .."

If there are 340,000 long black dresses on ebay how could every one of them be even near the top?

If they are 30 day listings and there are 200 per page each item could be on the 1st page for 25 minutes once in the 30 days. And if they scrolled each item would be on the top 10 seconds!

Talk about musical chairs. . .

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Mon Oct 31 00:02:45 2016

Where have all the ebafia promos gone?

Long time passing.

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 31 00:33:23 2016

The free listings help me a lot.  I don't want to see them go away.

by: Tiffee Jasso This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 31 04:29:54 2016

I like the Free listings too. Having to run auctions cuts into my sales as many do not want to bid and then get outbid by fifty cents. They would rather buy it now. Also for antiques and collectibles, postage costs are so high that many cannot sell large or heavy antiques, etc., online anymore. Shipping can easily add $40 or more cost to an item. I take my better items to the annual collectible street fairs in our area a couple of times a year.  Buyers are happy and so am I, and there are no returns.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Mon Oct 31 06:49:48 2016

Let them eat funnel cake.

(He loves that word "funnel".)

by: HappyOne This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 31 08:14:30 2016

I believe what was almost regular monthly 500 free listings were an attempt to get me to upgrade my store from Basic to Premium. I am a hobby seller (I never use any of the 250 auctions included with my month allotment). Normally I list about three new items per day (100 a month); the balance of my 250 fixed price listings are used to ''selectively'' relist previously unsold items. Normally I sell 50 to 60 items a month; 40 new listings and 10 to 20 relisted items. So each month my unsold items increase about 40 or 50 items. When 500 free listing are offered I relist 50 or 100 items per day depending on the promotion. I have kept records of these listings and found on a regular bases only 15 of these 500 old items sell. This sell through rate (3%) does not warrant me up grading store for an extra $40 a month. Interesting (to me) items that sell during these listing are things I would not have selectively relisted or was getting ready to put in our flea market inventory. Having a Premium store for November and December with 1,000 listing would be good but the other ten months with vacations, other activities and slower sales would not be worth while for me. So I use some of this $480 I am not paying to buy additional ''Holiday'' relistings at 20ΒΆ. For me $19.95 a month (plus $9.95 for Ink Frog) is an inexpensive ''hobby''.

by: DingDong This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 31 08:49:49 2016

I don't have a store, but I agree with @HappyOne. I like the free listings and if eBay would change their CANSEEME search engine, I wouldn't be relisting so many items. During the free 500 free listings, I always sell some of the ''relisted, relisted'' items. There must be ''an opening'' in the searches. I almost have used up my free 500 listings and I have sold 3 of the older items. I always try to get some new items listed, too.

EBay needs to clean up that search engine so people can actually search for things and buy what they want. If I had to pay for my listings, I wouldn't sell here because I would be loosing of the search engine.

And I am sure those that I have purchased from, would of never list ''JunK'' (per Alaska's term) if they had to pay for their listings. I love ''junk'' when I am looking for crafting/artwork stuff.

I am just grateful for having the 500 free listings when they come and try to make use of them.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 31 09:32:03 2016

Tool - if sellers with 18 yrs on eBay, are professional sellers, have %100 feedback arent on the top - then who should be?

On Amazon you get the buy box based on your price (%2 lower then the lowest guy) and on your record.

If eBay is all "only about" "you only get to be on top IF you do all the jumping (30 day returns etc) then why would anyone even bother "doing anything else"?

Why cant Cassini be ORGANIC like Google is?

by: Barbbie This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 31 10:01:39 2016

I have done all the jumping, but my sales are half what they were last October which was half what it was the October before that. Despite adding about 2000 items and lots of new Halloween items.
Ebay needs to do something, because it is not me. It is Ebay.
If people do not come to ebay, they will not buy.
I do not care about the free listings as I pay for a store. I do want some ads on TV though. I also do not want more sellers. I think there are enough sellers for the amount of buyers they attract. I doubt they will get the old sellers back that they soured thus getting rid of good buyers as well.

by: gizmo This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 31 10:21:35 2016

The promos , left with the sellers.  Theres no use to try & figure , these over paid execs. There is nothing left at deadbay , for me. I just closed my final account . Its sad , I was a long time user , & just plain gave up on them. I only keep in touch here , to see how stupid they really are.
I cannot even use them for research . They offer nothing. They are dead to me. I do not trust them . I cannot , & will not , do business with people I do not trust.

by: Volvo351 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 31 11:20:43 2016

@Froggy:

Sorry, but the 'listings' have to be free now, because 90+ percent of the time, that's what they end up being WORTH!

Sell-thru is dismal, and they gouge you on the Back End, so why should I get nickeled-and-dimed just to list something?

This user has validated their user name. by: RKTOYS

Mon Oct 31 11:33:16 2016

Listings have ZERO value as long as visibility is manipulated.  Had a store for year, never realized any benefit from it.  I'll close my account before I pay to list.  All of these knuckleheads want guaranteed rewards for maybes and guesses.

@toolguy
eBay would not have 340K listings for black dresses or anything else if it enforced the duplicate listing policy on Chinese sellers.