Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Tue Oct 18 2016 16:50:40

PayPal Tells Us It's Clearing Up Email Notification Issue

A PayPal spokesperson confirmed the company had an issue beginning on October 15 that caused a delay in email messages, push and payment notifications to consumers and merchants. "The issue has been resolved," he told EcommerceBytes.

He said PayPal expects the backlog of notifications to be caught up by October 19 at the latest.

The Ecommerce EKG board has been lit up with reports of the problem, and PayPal had previously acknowledged via Twitter that it was having a problem with email notifications.

Today we received an email from a seller that indicates the opposite problem may now be occurring: "There seems to be some weird crap going on with eBay - PayPal,...I'm getting payments from PayPal but they are not being registered at eBay as "paid / ready to ship"... Weird and making it hard to do business." We have not confirmed others are experiencing this issue and eBay has not responded to our inquiry.

Also note that eBay announced this afternoon that sellers in Canada were experiencing problems when attempting to create shipping labels on PayPal, which eBay said was investigating. Not clear if it's a Canada-only problem.

Update: We heard from PayPal that the issue on eBay has been resolved as of earlier today.

Perminate Link for PayPal Tells Us It's Clearing Up Email Notification Issue   PayPal Tells Us It's Clearing Up Email Notification Issue

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Tue Oct 18 18:14:25 2016

PayPal is SO BAD OFF > 1) nobody I speak with uses it. 2) A potential client called about my product and berated me for not offering PayPal. 3) PayPal is a DINOSAUR, being outshined by the Credit Card issuers and banks.

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Tue Oct 18 18:17:49 2016

R.I.P Phil Cohen

by: FeelingFroggy This user has validated their user name.

Tue Oct 18 18:25:46 2016

How many months before paypal and ebay finally get a divorce.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Tue Oct 18 19:10:53 2016

Now if PayPal can just fix MultiOrder Shipping so I don't get an XML error every time I try to print a label....

by: Pangie777 This user has validated their user name.

Wed Oct 19 06:32:36 2016

Unacceptable!

I have just spent three days trying to find out why I am not getting PayPal invoices. I logged into my PayPal account to see if there was something there. Isn't that where a standard homepage message should have been put by PayPal? No, instead, they rely on Twitter! Well, not everybody uses Twitter - myself for one!

PayPal is doing this once too often. They need to get their act together because if they do not, they are going to lose a lot of customers.

I am not prepared to waste energy on a hasbeen company that does not seem to realise their responsibilities to those who pay their high fees!

Since splitting from eBay, they have become lazy and unreliable.

PayPal, inform your customers when things go wrong and do it professionally, via the PayPal Website, as others do!!!

by: FeelingFroggy This user has validated their user name.

Wed Oct 19 06:38:05 2016

As usual paypal talks with fork tongue AGAIN.

Its 6 am here and I have 44 emails that paypal should have sent about payments. I have recieved nothing since 10 pm last night.

At least the fork tongue comments are getting through to someone. Now if only these fumble bums could just send the emails.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Wed Oct 19 06:38:15 2016

John Donahoe is there now.  Nuff said.

by: Golddustwoman This user has validated their user name.

Wed Oct 19 09:12:22 2016

Honestly, I'm still not seeing how PayPal and eBay are separate entities. They continue to be up in each other's business . . .

by: gizmo This user has validated their user name.

Wed Oct 19 11:11:26 2016

Smoking mirrors. Theyre only separate when it suits them. A CSR can reach out to each other when they want. Put them on the spot , WE have nothing to do  with them , youll need to contact them yourself. BUGUS BULL FROM DEADBAY
They are both crap companys.

by: Bidonmine This user has validated their user name.

Wed Oct 19 11:16:35 2016

If the issue is resolved, then why did I receive emails that were generated Monday? I am still waiting for Tuesdays and this mornings messages!
I have long since stopped relying on PayPal/Ebay messages and I always check the sites multiple times every day.

by: lindysthings This user has validated their user name.

Wed Oct 19 16:24:34 2016

I totally agree with Rexford. I've had a few complications with Paypal that easily got rectified with one very short call to Paypal in the past. Very courteous CS that understood the problem and handled it right then and there. No script reading, no, ''I'll get back with you'', etc. Just courteous and prompt customer service like one would expect.

Now it seems there are glitches right and left that were never there before. And takes weeks to fix. Makes one wonder, since the timing of the switch over in personnel was right when everything started happening.

by: Frank F This user has validated their user name.

Thu Oct 20 07:55:12 2016

Still receiving delayed emails, and what is more troubling is the format of the emails is not what it was in the past.. This started about 2 weeks ago.

Emails were always with a from: the customer email address, so they were in separate email thread in your email client.. Now, since the title is identical for all with no unique character, ALL these emails stack up in one email thread.. I have one thread with over 75 different emails in them. I used this as a tool to send a confirmation to the buyer, to update my business documentation and to update quantities on listings. Now the links in the emails don't work either... What gives?!

Quit changing things for the sake of change and without notifying your customers that have back end business processes that rely on consistent inputs...... FIX THIS PROBLEM PAYPAL!!!!!!!!!

by: sickandtired This user has validated their user name.

Thu Oct 20 11:11:36 2016

Not only do I have email notifications missing, I CANNOT PRINT MY POSTAGE LABELS.
Had problems creating and printing labels yesterday, but several trys would get it done. Last evening could not print them at all.
Called c/s and was told they are working on it. I ship Canada Post and rep said they are doing us a favour by offering the service of printing postage directly from our PP accounts after I pointed out that it is unacceptable for a site that has OP's money to not be reliable.
She suggested workaround of trying another browser...have tried printing in 3 different ones and no luck.  GIANT PITA
On the subject of the "non breakup" of the 2 sites.....the automated message you get when calling ebay or Paypal help is exactly the same recorded voice....the hideous music that plays while you are on hold is the same.......are ebay/PP reps sitting in each other's laps :)

by: SoniaD This user has validated their user name.

Fri Oct 21 10:06:04 2016

My emails have finally caught up.