Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Tue Oct 4 2016 10:09:39

Amazon Sellers Panic over Email Warning

Amazon users can have only one account used for selling unless they get pre-approval from Amazon to open multiple selling accounts. So it came as a shock to many sellers who believed they were in compliance with the policy when Amazon sent them a warning letter.

We've seen two versions of the letter, which we're copying below.

VERSION ONE:

Dear Seller,
Our records indicate that you may own multiple seller accounts. Amazon's policies strictly prohibit operating or maintaining multiple accounts. Exceptions are granted on a case-by-case basis based on each seller's circumstances. If you currently have multiple seller accounts, have operated or maintained more than one seller account in the past, or if any members of your household (besides yourself) have operated or maintained a seller account, please reply to this email with the following information:

- The email address(es) associated with each account you own
- The email address(es) associated with each account owned by members of your household other than yourself
- The reason(s) why you need to operate each account

Failure to disclosure your accounts may result in a loss of selling privileges.

If you only own one account, have never owned more than one account in the past, and no one else in your household has or has had an account, please disregard this notice.

Best regards,
Seller Performance

VERSION TWO

Dear Seller,
Amazon's policies prohibit a seller from operating or maintaining multiple accounts; however, we understand that in certain circumstances, sellers may need to own multiple accounts.

We would like to ask you a few questions:

- Do you have multiple Amazon selling accounts?
- Have you opened or operated more than one seller account in the past?
- In addition to your seller account, do any other members of your household also have a seller account?

In order to protect your account, please reply to this email with the following information:

- The email address(es) associated with each account you own
- The reason(s) why you need each account

If you own just one account, have never owned more than one account in the past, and no one else in your household has or has had an account, please disregard this notice.

Best regards,
Seller Performance

The Amazon boards are full of questions from sellers about what they should do about Amazon's latest effort to crack down on sellers.

Perminate Link for Amazon Sellers Panic over Email Warning   Amazon Sellers Panic over Email Warning

This user has validated their user name. by: FEEbay

Tue Oct 4 10:37:59 2016

I just laugh when I see stuff like this from Amazon.... We have been off of Amazon for the past 2 years (suspeneded for "seller performance"), and it has been a godsend. Unless a seller uses FBA efficiently and makes 40+ pts in margin, it is a cruel joke to sell on there...lol

by: FeelingFroggy This user has validated their user name.

Tue Oct 4 11:32:47 2016

Amazon like Ebay needs a road map to the bathroom. Why would I think that if I had more than one account that they would be smart enough to put two and two together without coming up with the answer of 5

by: shut1968 This user has validated their user name.

Wed Oct 5 11:18:50 2016

It's not so much of a crackdown on sellers, there are many who are posting that they've only had one account, we have only had one account and still got that letter.
I do think I have narrowed this down to an issue with Amazon, the day before we got the letter we got a package from Amazon Warehouse Returns for another seller, best I can figure is there has been some mix up in their system and it's generating return addresses through Amazon Warehouse that are going to the wrong sellers. That's the only thing that makes any sense to me.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Wed Oct 5 15:43:25 2016

Another possibility is that The Ho and Brian Burke are moonlighting at Amazon to enhance the "seller experience."

by: zenbreeze This user has validated their user name.

Wed Oct 5 23:39:00 2016

Got it and I spent pretty much a day and a half on & off the phone with Amazon.  Each person I talked to assured me that I only have one seller account and one customer account.  The problem seemed to originate that the Payment by Amazon migration email was sent to both my seller and customer accounts and that's why I then got the ''multiple accounts'' email.  Not that I can resolve it but I see what happened.  Still scared stiff over it.  Here we are going into the holiday season and, even though my sales on Amazon have dropped dramatically over all the sweatshops they've let in this year, it's still the most profitable venue for me.  Figures...they don't care at all that sweatshops are blatantly stealing my art and listing it on their site.

by: kilogirl78 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Oct 6 01:11:06 2016

Got my sellers privilege revoked today because one of my employees signed up for amazon prime but accidentally used the company's amazon email address. Since we are a business account, Amazon suspended us just like that until he could send a fax with his drivers license, and a utility bill showing his physical address. Costs my company $2,000 a day until Amazon can resolve this.  Per Amazon " Our request for information does not suggest any wrongdoing on your part."  Really? Sure feels that way.  And of course a seller cannot talk to anyone at Amazon about the problem.  Just have to wait for the email that never comes.  And the silliest part is I was sitting in a webinar to start exporting items to Amazon UK.  Not going to happen now.  I couldn't imagine the expense to get my product back from Europe if Amazon decides to permanently revoke our privileges.

by: Biglouis This user has validated their user name.

Thu Oct 6 04:33:03 2016

I would start by giving your employee his/her marching orders!

This user has validated their user name. by: RKTOYS

Fri Oct 7 09:03:04 2016

So Amazon doesn't have any kind of "are you sure you want to use this e-mail?" warning prompt, immediately suspended you (not the Prime registration) over that mistake, drags its feet requesting documents by _fax_ (and probably did so one at a time instead of telling you everything upfront), and you'd take it out on your employee?

by: kilogirl78 This user has validated their user name.

Sun Oct 9 14:27:47 2016

No way I would let an employee go over this. It's irksome that amazon obviously has a broken system but no way to tell amazon about its broken link. I canceled my business purchasing account so it wouldn't happen again. And we had a brain storming session on how to replace the 75 orders a day we get on amazon. They had really good ideas that we started implementing. It's sad we have to treat amazon like at any time, we can be discarded like yesterday's trash.

by: Susan Barnes This user has validated their user name.

Wed Oct 19 22:46:14 2016

They are probably trying to crack down on stealth accounts that are typically sold by some sellers. There is even articles on how to get back on within the Aspkin forums and on the Auction Essistance website.

But it kind of baffles me on why they would disallow multiple accounts, they make money off them anyway.