Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Mon Oct 3 2016 11:00:59

Look out, eBay - Here Comes Facebook Marketplace

Facebook launched Marketplace, a way for people to buy and sell things in their local area. The feature launched on Monday in the US, UK, Australia, and New Zealand and is only available on mobile - for now.

Users who open the Facebook app on the iPhone and Android devices can tap on the shop icon at the bottom of the Facebook app.

Importantly, Facebook says it does not facilitate the payment or delivery of items in Marketplace. But it did say, "We'll continue to build new options and features to make this the best experience for people."

It looks like Craigslist has the most to worry about with Facebook Marketplace's focus on local items for sale, but will this impact eBay now or in the long run?

We know from our annual Sellers Choice Awards that sellers already use Facebook to sell - let us know what you think of the new Facebook Marketplace and what kind of threat it poses to others in the ecommerce space.

Perminate Link for Look out, eBay - Here Comes Facebook Marketplace   Look out, eBay - Here Comes Facebook Marketplace

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Mon Oct 3 11:16:58 2016

I use Facebook for about an hour each day to communicate with friends and family but I don't see myself selling on that platform.

Most of my time is devoted to eBay

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Mon Oct 3 11:23:37 2016

Good luck with your enterprise sellers eBay.

There's a new kid in town.

by: FeelingFroggy This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 3 13:23:12 2016

@Rexford

I doubt that. One has always been able to buy and sell on Facebook. Nothing new.

by: Linda This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 3 14:34:20 2016

Facebook is a great platform to direct people to my shop page. I just don't involve family & friends!

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Mon Oct 3 15:29:34 2016

FeelingFroggy, time will tell.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Mon Oct 3 16:36:27 2016

I don't think eBay has much to worry about until Facebook Marketplace expands beyond a local area. When Facebook opens up selling across the country (or worldwide), then eBay will have cause for concern.

by: DZT This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 3 20:02:38 2016

Trying to sell anything on ''Flakebook'' is nearly impossible.

Lots of ''Fakebook'' members will waste your time & say they want to purchase items but, very rarely do they follow thru on their commitments & actually pay for anything.

Facebook is an absolutely terrible venue to try to sell anything.

by: Ebay Seller-Ebay Buyer This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 3 22:51:43 2016

I don't think this will impact ebay much.  Maybe a little bit, but not much

by: nothingnew This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 3 23:38:44 2016

I sell my art on Facebook from time to time. But I agree many say they want or love it. But few come through

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Tue Oct 4 00:59:44 2016

We  have sold and bought  on  FB  here  in Cow Town==but--yeah;  some  transactions  are prolonged and  weird.  Some  have zero  experience  in selling anything.  So  they have  no  clue that  time is  of the essence;  no one wants to wait  around  no one wants  things sold  out from  under  them;  and  insisting  on delivering  the item--when it is a large  item that the buyer is perfectly  willing to meet  you to pick  up---is  just  creepy and weird.

I  am  more than willing  to give it a go--since  ebay  is  not really  interested  in promoting either the  company or  individual  sellers---but--it  might not be a cure  all.

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Oct 4 06:36:43 2016

Ditto - EB doesn't have much to worry about.  Patrons can buy local on EB too, and I sell a lot on CL when it won't move on EB.  When FB goes international sales like AMZ and EB then we can worry.  When FB figures out how to exchange money and how to settle disputes, then EB can worry. Does FB really want to get in the middle of a buyer-seller dispute over a product that's damaged or not working? The big boys like EB and AMZ have no competition from FB.

If FB launches marketplace locally, how does it get its cut of money?

This user has validated their user name. by: Ina

Tue Oct 4 09:31:28 2016

Making headlines today: items for sale on Facebook Marketplace that are banned.

From the UK's Telegraph: "After discovering the flaw that allowed some users to post illegal and adult items that violate Facebook's terms of service, the company apologised and said it would fix the glitch that had stopped its filtering system from working."

by: trader_chris This user has validated their user name.

Tue Oct 4 09:39:58 2016

I sold my first item on Facebook last week. I had purchased an old, unopened bottle of whiskey for $25, but couldn't sell it on eBay due to the restrictions they have in place. Within a day, I found and joined a whiskey collector's group on FB, posted my bottle, and sold it for $500. It's definitely a sales venue that I will be giving more consideration to in the future as a result.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ina

Tue Oct 4 10:00:24 2016

How did you go about finding that group, Trader Chris? Any tips on finding quality niche FB groups?

And did anyone object to you trying to sell there?

by: Whatever This user has validated their user name.

Tue Oct 4 10:42:04 2016

How many times have we been down this road? How much wasted effort have we put forth? Been doing Facebook for a long time - have 5000+ "friends" posted lots of stuff over the years - haven't sold a thing. And you think ebay has some control issues? Really? Think about it. I'll stick with the devil I know and just keep on trucking.

by: queenfloraday This user has validated their user name.

Tue Oct 4 11:11:29 2016

I sell on FB and found that to be successful. It takes searching for groups that focus on the item you are selling. I use the search bar to find them. You must ask to join most of the groups and will get an email notice when you are accepted.
Most groups that I am a member are like small communities of buyers and sellers. Many time re-sellers buy
in these groups as well as collectors. Items usually sell for less than eBay/Amazon but you don't have the fees on FB. I require Paypal for payment...that is the only fee I pay. These groups generally will ban anyone who does not pay or is rude or unethical. I have much better success at repeat and multiple sales on FB than on eBay/Amazon.

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Tue Oct 4 18:46:12 2016

Thank  you  @Ina;  @queenforaday  and  @trader_chris!!!!!

We  have sold  bulky  things  like  kids  yard  toys  and  furniture  on  FB;  and  some  of  thee same  sort of things  on  CL--in  fact we got rid  of a LARGE  (120 gallon  stone  lined)  water heater  via  CL--and learned the value  of owning a  winch! Cars  and  that sort of thing.  We  bought a kayak  via  FB  a  few weeks ago--this was the transaction  where the SELLER  insisted--adamantly--that  she DELIVER  the item---a  two hour round  trip!  We offered  many  times to meet her in a neutral  spot  near  her  house--nope!  Weird!

But--I  am not so sure  that  out here  in  Cow  Town  you  can  sell  things  like  sports  wear  and clothing  ---maybe  FB  for  any  "collectables"  I  might come up  with--and  I  have  40+  years of this sort of stuff  to get rid  of!  I  just  wonder  tho  on HOW TO FIND  THESE  NICHE  SITES!   I  looked  on  FB  for  a few  a while ago;  got "permission"  to join  one;  NEVER got a single  post  from  them;  and then  a year  or  so later when  I  had  completely forgotten  about it got a  Notice  that  there  was  either not a site  any  more  or  I  was no longer a Member?

Maybe  as  FB  matures  in the selling/buying  market  these  sites  will get  easier to FIND  and post  to. But--how MANY of them are we  all going to need to JOIN  to  sell varied  things?

And--I  do wish  there was ONE central  location ON  FB  that  existed TO  post FOR SALE  items--with  your  general  location  so  people  would know  if  pick  u-  was feasible or  shipping would be involved.  I  live  too far  to be schlepping  stuff  around to "show and tell"---I have done that a few  times for ebay  and  I  was not  thrilled  with  the results--a lot of wasted  time and gas.

by: Scotty This user has validated their user name.

Wed Oct 5 09:41:06 2016

I think the point of the Marketplace is to centralize items for sale and those selling them....thus eliminating the need to join various groups and gain more exposure to the greater FB user base.  Really nothing to lose as it does not seem difficult to list items.  Personally, I will list items with shipping therefore eliminating the local pick-up variable.  If they go nationwide and/or global with the exposure of your items for sale, this will be the only way to sell....screw ebay.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Wed Oct 5 11:09:19 2016

@ Scotty

You would trust a FB member over an eBay seller with 1000's of positive feedbacks?

The scammers will be on FB just like they are on eBay but it will be much easier to scam on FB. . .

Buyer beware!

by: Volvo351 This user has validated their user name.

Fri Oct 7 02:40:13 2016

What does C/L have to worry about? They aren't charging for their ads - YET! Which actually surprises me, b/c it's not like they aren't well-known. I wouldn't mind if they did charge something on a subscription basis, though, IF it would provide protection against their 'flagging' army. That Tinfoil Hat Brigade, as I call them, are pests.