Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Mon Jan 25 2016 21:51:00

Self Defense against Amazon Seller Crackdown

With all the reports about Amazon increasingly cracking down on sellers, how do you protect your Amazon selling account? We asked an expert in this area to share her expertise in a guest column in EcommerceBytes to be published on Tuesday.

Cynthia Stine founded Online Sales Step by Step to help suspended sellers get their Amazon businesses back up and running. We expect this series to be extremely popular, as sellers find once you get in trouble on Amazon, it's very difficult to rebound.

One area Cynthia covers in the article is the gray market - sellers who legitimately purchase items but who aren't authorized by the manufacturer to resell them.

Also of interest - Cynthia encounters clients who are sure they're being plagued by lying buyers, but in fact, discover with her help a real issue that is impacting the buying experience. There are some real lessons here - areas you might not have thought of until reading her anecdotes from real clients.

I suspect there are some things sellers won't want to hear, but, she writes, "It doesn't matter whose fault it is when customers are complaining."

She also writes about a new Customer Dissatisfaction Metric that all Amazon sellers should pay attention to, as it may soon begin to count against seller accounts.

In September, Amazon provided answers to questions we asked about seller suspensions - be sure to take a look at that article as well, and let us know what you are seeing with regard to Amazon suspensions.

You can find the fulltext of the article with Cynthia's advice now on the EcommerceBytes website.

Perminate Link for Self Defense against Amazon Seller Crackdown   Self Defense against Amazon Seller Crackdown

This user has validated their user name. by: Shop and Ship

Tue Jan 26 02:17:08 2016

Thanks for the article and the links. I recognize these same issues as applied to eBay Seller Accounts - especially the gray market designer clothing issues. I don't recall where they were actually buying these items in bulk but their "proof of authenticity" was viewed with a jaundiced eye.

by: mcposty This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jan 26 14:13:32 2016

Which is why I dont dell or buy on amazon. As a consumer I dont want some entity telling me what is good or bad for me to buy.

It also is ridiculous because it assumes buyers are honest or capable of telling what is a good or bad product. In my experience, buyers are ignorant. They will gove you bad feedback or say something is not right because a lighter doesnt work, not even realizing it doesnt have fuel in it.

Basically amazon and ebay can go to hell and I would not care

by: mcposty This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jan 26 14:13:53 2016

Basically amazon and ebay can go to hell and I would not care

This user has validated their user name. by: laurengrace

Wed Jan 27 02:05:16 2016

Amazon put mass quantities of sellers under seller account reviews January 21 due to the fact that their sales spiked in December. Really? Aren't sales supposed to spike in January? Isn't that what we all hope for? All the sellers under this review are having the previou 2 weeks sales proceeds withheld until their review is complete which can take a month to 6 weeks. One seller on the Amazon forums is reporting having 12,000 held, and when sellers are suspended which is a regular occurance, they hold all the sellers money for 3 months. I don't know how this can be legal. Amazon and Ebay get away with things no one else can. They are both ruthless and corrupt along with the entities that allow this to go on.

This user has validated their user name. by: VV

Wed Jan 27 07:54:11 2016

"Gray Market".  Funny that is technically viewed as a negative until you want to buy at cheapest price (buyers).  Can't have it both ways.

by: Toy Boy This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jan 27 10:52:46 2016

Lets not forget those cases where product listings get hijacked and turned into a different product !
You listed product A and it showed, a month later a customer orders product B from you that you never even had listed !
Now you get a DING in your statistics because you cannot deliver what you never had !
BS system and Amazon does NOT really care, they are too big for that.

by: Moonwishes This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jan 27 11:02:18 2016

My son and I both sell on line. While I pretty much stay within my niche of inventory he sells a broad range of goods and also a lot of the same type of things as I do. We have had many discussions about listing practices. Whenever I list an item on Amazon if it already has a product page, I fill in everything I can since most sellers are lazy bums when it comes to this. When something doesn't have a product page I fill it out (all five pages) to the best of my ability. He doesn't do this. As long as he sees an item is selling he figures it is good enough. Which is why he can list so much more and faster than I can. My listing takes a whole lot longer. But a thorough product page helps very much to keep from having a buyer disappointed. One of those things that can lead to bad feedback and suspension. So you can either be meticulous in listing or dash through it and take your chances with a product page that isn't real clear about what someone is buying. It is one of the reasons why I hate seeing sellers with a pat comment under condition. One in particular has a statement about their DVDs under condition/comments when they have a sewing pattern for sale. I mean really? Don't they know what they are listing. Talk about confusing a buyer.

by: Monsooncommerce This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jan 27 14:41:43 2016

This is a great article that covers many great points to avoid getting suspended. Thank you for writing it.

If you do get unlucky and Amazon suspends your account, we want to share a blog post we have written to help you get your account re-instated. ''The Art of Appeal: How to Successfully Overturn Marketplace Suspensions.'' The post is available here: https://www.monsooncommerce.com/2015/08/the-art-of-appeal-how-to-succe
ssfully-overturn-marketplace-suspensions/

Happy
selling and we hope your account never gets suspended.

by: sanddogg This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jan 27 18:22:06 2016

Amazon sells their own items through a Warehouse and you cannot rate these sales. They are usually 'opened' or slightly damaged goods. I got something from that warehouse site and it was a total waste of time. 'Opened' box was actually damaged items. They can dish it out but they cannot take it. Bezos wants it all. You Amazon sellers keep lowering your prices. Keep fueling Bezos' human job-ending hobbies and other expensive eccentric endeavors.

by: blaumann This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 8 02:41:21 2016

Of O were to sell on Amazon, I could not buy from retail stores or liquidators? INSANE

by: cayenna This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 8 14:42:45 2016

I closed my Amazon seller acct. Way to many bad things happening why take the risk...and who has the time and energy to deal with it all...