Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Thu Jan 7 2016 10:30:06

Calling All eBay and Amazon Experts

Over the years I have had readers ask if I could recommend an Amazon, eBay or ecommerce expert to help them with their online selling strategies. It's always a challenge to guide people in this area since the crop of experts seems to change constantly.

It sparked the idea to ask readers who they turn to for ideas, and how it has changed over the years.

Who do you pay for services to help your ecommerce business? Whose Facebook groups do you belong to? Which vendors turn out helpful advice in their blogs or guides? Which resources do you follow (or pay for)?

Which experts do you think have the chops to answer questions about the various aspects of selling online?

Perminate Link for Calling All eBay and Amazon Experts   Calling All eBay and Amazon Experts

This user has validated their user name. by: Shop and Ship

Thu Jan 7 10:50:13 2016

Oddly enough some of the best advice I've followed was posted in eBay Forums by other Members, such as word choices and word order in listing titles. Major on-line retailers heavily invest in market research to support the content, organization, and appearance of their web pages so use it as a starting point with white background, short simple phrases, and sharp clear images.

by: 1beck3 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jan 7 11:03:50 2016

Whole-heartedly agree with the second part of Shop and Ship's post. Whatever you're selling, find a couple successful sites that are similar to your category & incorporate the best from those. No need to reinvent the wheel!

This user has validated their user name. by: White Rabbit

Thu Jan 7 11:32:00 2016

Sometimes it is a great idea to get away for the support help the venues offer themselves. at least in some cases. So you asked.. i will tell you

Sellergroup.com/forums.html

has a generalized support for most of this and a framework available for all of it. FREE. including 3rd party websites and basic coding if you want to do it yourself. it is a Tiny site and a lot of the posts are hidden from visitors. ''all are welcome'' but it is a niche site created for vintage, handmade, vintage collectibles and handmade supplies. It is a general support forums and a joint member co-op website with individual shops. the forums and website are run by the members - for the members. a free co-op of sorts :-)

I hate to spam but the thread did ask. I do think the best sites are free for this sort of thing. most questions are not so advanced. but if so at least members can lead you in the right direction.

by: JordanMalik.com This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jan 7 16:30:52 2016

I know this is self-promotion, but my blog and podcasts have been helping Amazon and eBay sellers for 7+ years. Lots of free information, tools and more for both Amazon and ebay merchants on my free resource page at: http://jordanmalik.com/blog/resources

by: cupnw This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jan 7 18:47:36 2016

I am a member of OSI Rockstars. It consists of experienced eBay and Amazon sellers. Membership requires an annual membership fee.

Besides this on LinkedIn, the ebay powersellers group and eBay Sellers - Official eBay Group
are useful too.

Regards, Naren

by: sasikat9 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jan 7 18:53:39 2016

by: ilikespaghettios This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jan 7 19:20:07 2016

''Ebay powersellers group is a useless bunch of know it alls who think that their way is the only way to be and if you think otherwise you are treated like so much useless trash.''

I don't know, these days it seems to be mostly genuine people just trying to sort through the mess that ebay has become.

Most of the blowhards are gone, like the t-shirt guy.

Hey, t-shirt guy, how is that turnaround working for ya?

Thought so, too bad you recommended people to stick around 'cause things were a changing!

I know you think you're super special and had the inside track/ear of the ebay insiders, but now you know you were just another schmuck and happy to dispense the koolaid.

It's one thing if you want to believe every word they told you, but it's quite another when you affect the livelihoods of untold others with your ''advice''...and that is nothing but pure ego.

Sorry for the hijack.

by: Cathleen CafferyBizCat This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jan 8 01:48:05 2016

I have been following a few for many years. For Ebay I recommend
Lynn Dralle

For Amazon and Ebay Skip McGrath

and Jim Cockrum

by: LinneyPinney This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jan 8 02:01:43 2016

I sell vintage and there is a Facebook group called Got Vintage Shops that is amazing. So many knowledgeable people in the group and everyone helps each other. Sellers are from all platforms and all over the world. There are subgroups where members can help each other with specific subjects. It is great to have friends to share challenges with. This group has been such an asset to my business.

by: val2525 This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jan 8 02:10:15 2016

Lisa Suttora's webinars are awesome.  And I belong to a seller forum with many very knowledgeable sellers.  Virtualsellers.proboards.com.

by: Will This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jan 8 06:13:21 2016

Another thumbs up for Lisa Suttora. She's been there since pretty much the beginning of Ecommerce. She helps your business - all segments of it, not just eBay.

by: Bidonmine This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jan 8 10:56:11 2016

Read - Read - Read....
Read all the help and user blogs on the selling sites such as Ebay, Amazon and others.
Make reading a part of your work day. I use breaks from work to read the blogs. Over the course of your workday you will be able to keep up on what people are doing and saying.

I have learned more by reading than I could have by experimenting.

by: Moonwishes This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jan 10 10:58:21 2016

>Read - Read - Read....

I have learned more by reading than I could have by experimenting. <

I agree wholeheartedly with this one. My biggest recommendation to anyone searching for a new venue is to take the time to read up on the venue and visit the forum and read as much as possible about using the site and how happy or unhappy the sellers are. I don't mean read for about 30 minutes, call it a day, and sign up to sell either. Take a week or two. Put thought behind what you are about to do when starting to sell. Do you want to get rid of one thing or do you want to start a long term business? Read up on small business and what you need to know, including tax implications.

On eCRATER we have a great forum with a core of people that answer questions quickly and efficiently. So newbies and even experienced sellers can swap ideas and get questions answered. As to writing listings, titles and photos the advice from one forum to another is pretty much standard. You can always tell a newbie by their listings and you can always tell a newbie that thinks they are brilliant and the rest of us are wrong by the advice they get that they refuse to follow! To me the funniest/saddest/worst store I ever saw was someone selling photographs (I think) of flowers. The titles (and on eCRATER you can have 100 characters) consisted of 'rose 1', 'rose 2', 'rose 3' etc.! I don't think the listing had even ten words including no measurements nor do I remember that they mentioned that what they were selling was a photograph. How does one expect to sell anything? So if you have a good forum going where you sell, pay attention to the advice being given.

by: Toledo Maude This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jan 10 13:36:33 2016

I agree with ''Moonwishes'' about ''read, read, read''.

And I learned a hard lesson. Yes, do buy used older reference books cheap on what one sells.  But unlike me do read them.  I found that reference books sitting on a shelf does not do a seller much good if they remain unread.  I do read them now.

Buy old reference books cheap or go to the local library and read and learn from them for free.

Another ''no, no'' is setting up a website and then putting faith and 10 to 20 bucks a month in ''experts'' pockets who swear that they will fix your website to double and triple your sales. All for a few bucks a month.

After a year or so of seeing my website sales decline, I told my ''experts'' to cancel their service.  Their response made my jaw drop when one ''expert'' wrote and admitted the if their service works, it may take years and years and years.  A good way to make a ''small fortune'' out of a large one.

Good Luck to All Nice Sellers (even Toolguy)!