Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Tue Jan 5 2016 09:43:30

Are You Trying New Selling Formats and Venues?

January is traditionally a time for online merchants to assess their business. Whether it's changing inventory, hiring help, or trying a new marketplace, this is when sellers kick the tires on selling venues to either replace or enhance existing channels.

That's why we hold our Sellers Choice Marketplace Survey at this time every year. Sellers Choice gets over 12,000 responses and has brought many new marketplaces to the attention of our audience.

If you have a new marketplace that you're trying - let others know here!

So what changes are you planning in 2016? New marketplace? New stuff to sell? New job altogether?

Perminate Link for Are You Trying New Selling Formats and Venues?   Are You Trying New Selling Formats and Venues?

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Tue Jan 5 10:55:57 2016

As usual I'll be selling tools on eBay. But new for 2016 is my medical cannabis grow. This should supplement my eBay very well and may indeed replace eBay in due time. I'm making what I call "Cannacreme"

by: Randy This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jan 5 11:43:36 2016

Well, I'm closing my eBay store in June, that's for sure. I was going to close last year, but decided to give it one more year and downgraded instead. This year I will be concentrating more on Amazon. I upgraded to a Pro seller last year and that seamed to work out great!

This user has validated their user name. by: White Rabbit

Tue Jan 5 12:03:00 2016

a couple shops on Ecrater with lots of self promotion. Free is nice and if i get a sale thru their market place i will be fine with that too. Have Stripe there also with PP but stripe is by far the preferred payment choice. Just be prepared to promote yourself.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Tue Jan 5 12:57:24 2016

eCrater (2 stores), Amazon, Poshmark, Tradesy, etsy (2 stores).  THESE VENUES DO NOT HIDE OUR LISTINGS.

Will also open a Facebook store and will be looking for other venues as well in an on-going effort to continue to move away from eBay.

I'm excited that I finally found a manufacturer for a product that I design and their work is exceptional.

As you can see we could no longer wait for Wenig to reconnect with small sellers. I have never seen eBay slower than it currently is and when you check completed listings of very popular high end brand products it appears that we are not the only ones experiencing this. Lots of unsolds on great merchandise.

We saw lots of commercials over the holidays for Wayfair and Zulilly but not one from eBay.  Apparently eBay think that they don't have to advertise.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Tue Jan 5 13:15:09 2016

For years I've been telling sellers where to source GREAT merchandise.

Look at eBay seller: marknmandee

They're mining the same Gold Mine I've been talking about for years.

This user has validated their user name. by: RKTOYS

Tue Jan 5 13:20:24 2016

I decided to start winding down.  Closed the eBay store a few days before Christmas and won't be reactivating listings at Amazon.  We'll see what sells through non-store eBay and eCrater throughout the year.  Concentrating on live shows with just enough new inventory trickling in to keep the booth from looking stale.  2015 was pathetic; 2016 will have to be incredible to change my mind.  Someday, when all of this is over with, I may give manufacturing another shot.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jan 5 13:34:56 2016

As I've said in posts here previously, I'll be using seller cloud or similar to expand the venues I sell on.

eBay continues to lag and be problematic, so why contribute to DW's $23 million gd parachute unless need be.

I'm shooting for Jet, Best Buy and Wallmart.

eBay for me will continue to exist but on a much smaller scale.

by: DingDong This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jan 5 14:46:38 2016

I have 2 shops on eCrater. Love it and can be a shop owner.

I 2 stores using TicTail.com.

Still using eBay, the free listings.

Will go and use eBid.net and Webstore.com when I want to do extra auctions.

DON't USE
* Addoway:  No traffic, or new upgrades, but can be ok for those just wanting to have a free site with payment processing.

* Bonanza: Too many glitches that they won't tell you. The upgrades make it harder to use to even try selling there. Too long for customer service and it's poor. (Copy paste answers just don't work)Dead traffic unless you pay for it and promote their site.

* Zibbet: Just dead.

This user has validated their user name. by: Shop and Ship

Tue Jan 5 14:47:47 2016

We knew ToolGuy was smoking something but no one knew just exactly what until today's confession.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Tue Jan 5 15:01:09 2016

@Shop and Ship - I was just about to post the same thing! He's obviously sampling his wares while he's praising eBay.

I'm sticking with my one store on eCrater. My sales are great, and I don't have any complaints about how the site is run.

by: JQ This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jan 5 16:15:31 2016

I have been selling on Amazon and eBay for 14 years now. When my eBay sales crashed in early 2014 I expanded into Bonanza. That has worked out well for me. Last year I made about 15% as much there as I did at eBay. Those sales have helped make up some of the sales that I no longer can make at eBay given the much more limited exposure my items now receive at that site.

Last year I expanded on to Etsy. After a few months my sales there started to come around as well. I did very well there in December and am hopeful about 2016.

Back in 2013 eBay accounted for 87% of my on-line sales, Amazon 12%. Last year eBay was down to 70%. I would not be too surprised to see them dip below 50% at some point in 2016.

On-line sellers really need to expand beyond eBay and Amazon. eBay plays with seller's exposure rates quite a bit and you just cannot trust the site to provide you with anything like steady predictable traffic. I started diversifying much later than I should have, but am very glad I took the steps to do so when I did.

I've been thinking about expanding onto Atomic Avenue, but have not heard anything good or bad about the site yet. Does anyone here know if it will be worth the trouble to list there?

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Tue Jan 5 16:46:22 2016

I found Etsy through eCommerceBytes.
'Til some thing akin to Ebay (only not userous)comes along, I'm staying put....

by: Terry in Texas This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jan 5 17:32:52 2016

i played around on ecrater and bonanza a couple years ago but nothing. planning on setting up on Etsy for my collectible pottery, Tradesy (already there but only 1 sale in a year but listing is free) for higher end clothing and i just opened a store on ToucanDeal.com. right now all listings are free and they imported my paltry few ebay listings extremely quickly. gonna take some time for that website to grow but i think it could be a very very very good selling site. one day.

i do have my own site on Big Commerce but traffic is super slow as i'm on the basic plan so i don't think google sees my stuff. i'm thinking about moving the site over to Shopify. anyone have any experience with Shopify?

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Tue Jan 5 18:51:36 2016

I currently sell on Ebay, Etsy, Amazon and Bonanza.  I may be adding Ecrater to the mix, but I'm not sure yet.  Once I get past correcting all these sites for the upcoming USPS price increases, I'll give it more thought.  But right now, there is plenty of work preparing for these big increases.

None of the sites I currently sell on did very well this holiday season.  Ebay's was the worst I have ever seen and I've been selling since 1999.  Amazon was better than last year, but still not near good enough.  Etsy did very little and Bonanza even less than that.

I will be considering other venues this year.  It is a lot of work managing all these sites, but somewhere out there are the sales I'm missing.  I'm just not selling in the places my future customers are at, therefore my mission is to seek them out and satisfy their needs.  May the force be with me!  LOL

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jan 6 00:45:24 2016

Thanks for sharing TOOLGUY---thanks for sharing.

Apparently he does not remember he has shared his site/shop names on here----

by: BobNJ This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jan 6 00:52:07 2016

I was selling on eBay since 1999 but finally gave up and now have over 3,000 items listed on Delcampe with great success. Much lower costs, totally free to list and I can close sales if I trade or sell something elsewhere, no hassles and lots of sales. I sold more on Delcampe in the last month than I sold in my last 5 years combined on eBay. My category on eBay is down to about 400-500 items at any one time and most are constant relists of the same items. My category on Delcampe now includes over 6,000 items and growing daily. And I've met a number of similar collectors on Delcampe who have become close friends similar what went on in the early days on eBay. I'm not looking back, Delcampe is my new home for the foreseeable future.

by: margo This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jan 6 00:56:21 2016

Hey toolguy where to  source GREAT merchandise ?

by: salukisal This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jan 6 01:00:45 2016

Great to see a lot of folks becoming more aware of the Ebay fiasco.  I'm on Bonanza, Webstore, ECRater and have had sales on all of them.  Easy to use sites.  They're getting better with traffic.  Also, use Discogs, Atomic Mall is nice but very little traffic.  Addoway - great site - no sales.  Unisquare - really nice site - but no sales.  Gave up on EBid.  Don't buy the new hype.  And Delcampe is definitely the place to be with stamps, coins, postcards, and paper items.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Wed Jan 6 01:11:29 2016

@ Margo

govliquidation.com

The best bang for the buck is: Triwall or Triwalls

It's all US Military Surplus

This user has validated their user name. by: IDKwhoIare

Wed Jan 6 01:49:14 2016

I closed the eBay store on Dec 1st of 2015 on it's 12th year anniversary. Total of 15 years on eBay.  Bye Bye eBay.  I opened a store on Etsy in March of 2015.  Sales there started to surpass eBay sales in October.  Not that it was all that hard to do, eBay is dying.  Etsy sales have not been near eBay's Hey Day sales, but I am seeing steady growth and will continue to add inventory.  I also went back to having a few cases in a B&M Antique Mall at the beginning of Sep.  Pretty nice sales there - steady and no returns and time invested is very low.  Some weekly re-arranging & cycling merchandise for an hour and a bit of dusting...easy!

I have not sat down and gone over my business goals and planned out the year as of yet.  Came down with Shingles last week. Egad. I am tired.  I have been debating eCrater for collectibles for awhile.  Need to get on with that.

I certainly want to hear about other venues; especially where Indie types shop for jewelry.  Looking forward to the release of the Sellers Choice Marketplace Survey!

CannaCreme?  That 'splains some things.  I am sure I would have been more laid back with eBay glitches if I had thought to get mellow the entire month of October!  Short sighted of me.  Have had arthritis since I was a kid, result of Scarlatina high fevers, and I just might be your first customer, Tool.  Problem I see - you can't list IT on eBay.  Where are you going to hawk that?

1 2 3  [Next Page]