Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Sun July 26 2015 21:06:27

Another Frustrating eBay Promotion

eBay is experiencing problems with its promotions. In Monday's Newsflash, we cover its response to its June coupon fiasco. Another longstanding issue is with its Spin and Win promotion, a sweepstakes encouraging users to sell items.

Winners report on the eBay boards that they are having problems receiving or redeeming codes after they win. The sweepstakes is also by invitation only, prompting one seller to wonder if that was legal.

Another seller said they were unable to click through to the official rules to find out how to participate. "eBay is running a "sweepstakes" promo for sellers to have a chance at spinning a wheel after listing an item to win prizes," they wrote. "Sweepstakes are required by law to have an alternate entry where no purchase is required to enter. eBay has chosen to do this through a link in the official rules, that of course is not working." (The link is now working for us.)

The eBay discussion boards are full of threads dating back for a few years complaining about the Spin and Win promotion. Some sellers said they had won prizes but were unable to figure out how to get them.

"I recently played the eBay spin the wheel game twice, and I won two $5 eBay gift cards, however I did not receive an email or anything telling me their codes or how to use them," one wrote. "I won a couple $5 gift card from spin and win but how do I redeem it? Are they gonna send a code via email," was another comment.

One seller received a code but said it didn't work. "My Spin and Win eBay code does not work - After checkout I get this message from PayPal: There is a problem with the following redemption code: XX. They can't be used for this purchase. Your other discounts can still be used for this purchase."

In response to a seller in another thread where they said they were unable to get the code, a seller wrote, "I got the same email, listed, sold an item, and finally got an email to "Spin to Win" $5 to $15. Only problem is when I click in the links to do it, it takes me to an eBay themed "Spin to Win" page with an "Invalid Link" error message.  Sucks even more I can't contact eBay about this issue."

One eBay user offered the following advice over a week ago: "If you want your prize you have to contact the people that run the awards. I won $10 without listing anything (as per the fine print) contacted them and after several emails got the money. Contact: customersupport@ prizelogic.com. They will confirm you've win and then tell you what to do. When I finally got my confirmation and tried to use it on PayPal it did not work. I had to contact them again and they give me the actual codes to input on PayPal. Be persistent and you will get your money."

The bottom line is that eBay needs to supply buyers - that's a much better incentive to sellers than a $5 coupon, but it's the biggest challenge it faces, CEO Devin Wenig told shareholders earlier this month thanks in great part to its Google problem.

eBay seems to be spending a lot of resources on promotions and on coupons (including apology coupons). Have you gotten any - and if so, are they winners or duds?

Perminate Link for Another Frustrating eBay Promotion   Another Frustrating eBay Promotion

by: Massachusets Howler This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jul 26 21:20:45 2015

Has an ebay "promotion" ever worked?
Not!
MH
(Planned THEFT).

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Sun Jul 26 22:47:45 2015

Why does eBay have to run “a sweepstakes encouraging users to sell items”? Don’t they now have all those Johnny Ho-acquired internationally-known “brands” selling on the eBay marketplace and shipping via the eBay Enterprise Unit.

Oh, that’s right, the eBay Enterprise Unit looks like it’s about to be disposed of at a $1.5 billion loss—well done Johnny Ho. And, for displaying such brilliant business acumen, Johnny Ho has received and additional $23 million and the opportunity to apply his destructive skills directly to the newly independent (and hapless) “PreyPal” …

Will someone please explain to me what is going on in the eBay/PayPal boardroom? Did they all get a cut of Johnny Ho’s $23 million? …

Regardless, are people really so desperate and/or naïve that they think they could actually get anything, even $5 to $15, out of eBay? And would eBay really want such desperadoes anyway; Johnny Ho certainly did not want them …

Face it people, Johnny Ho has delivered eBay a “near death” experience; if eBay is to recover to its pre-Ho state it is going to take some years, as it did to establish eBay in the first place.

Remember, when eBay initially IPO’d it had a staff of less than one hundred and it literally “ran itself”; but look at it now: fat and bloated and with all those pigs with their snouts in the trough …

The eBay executive suite—where the incompetent mingle with the disingenuous, the malevolent, the unscrupulous, and the outright criminal, and the just plain stupid … http://bit.ly/11F2eas

by: Massachusets Howler This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 27 00:17:37 2015

At least ebay is consistent-LOL!
MH

by: Massachusets Howler This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 27 00:21:01 2015

Maybe they will give you a new non-working coupon for last months non-working coupon.

That would be NICE.

mass howler
PS: Who has time for this??

by: Ebay Seller-Ebay Buyer This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 27 00:23:12 2015

Stop all the childish promotions and get serious Ebay.  Drop listing fees and you'll see tens of 1,000's of great sellers come back to ebay. Or keep playing these silly games with promotions and watch more and more sellers quit ebay to join Amazon and other sites

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 27 00:36:58 2015

Until about 5minutrs ago I did not know ebay even HAD such "Sweepstakes"!  After all I HAVE only sold on the site steadily since 1999--guess I must not be as "valuable"  a customer to them as the last guy who signed up from China.

And since they are NOT allowing my items to be SEEN--how ELSE can you explain a sales TOTAL across 5 accounts for the month of July of--THREE items sold?

Not 3 per account--which would be bad enough--but--THREE ITEM ACROSS ALL ACCOUNTS TOTAL.

And all to the SAME area--Florida--so this also means the items I sell geared towards a more Northern exposure cannot SELL if they are ONLY shown to southern area viewers.

Yes--where ARE those BUYERS Devil?

They ARE out there--just not shopping on ebay--because they CAN'T SEE US.

This way to the egress.

by: Volvo351 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 27 05:30:54 2015

Since eBay under Johnny The Hoe has never delivered what customers pay for, namely equitable search placement and item visibility, why should anyone be surprised that Devil Wingnut isn't delivering what he promises?

Remember folks: The Hoe personally assured us that this criminal enterprise was in good hands as he jumped ship to PayPig's board, where all the filthy loot - literally billions - has been stowed. eBay is the wormy, debt-laden hulk, set adrift without a prayer.

by: Volvo351 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 27 05:41:45 2015

@Comet

I don't have multiple accounts but I can tell you that since The Hoe and his band of Bain pirates commandeered this ship, sales for me have likewise gone from three a week to three a MONTH.

Why would new buyers open an account when they have a well-founded fear that their personal, UNENCRYPTED info is wide open to hackers?

And, from your post I can see that the new headless, or at least clueless, CEO will be popularly known as 'Devil' and may I add that the appropriate surname is 'Wingnut." Another out-of-his-depth [mis-]manager with no ecommerce experience but no doubt well versed in stuffing his pockets [and probably offshore bank accounts] full of the sellers' dough with the blessings of the deaf, dumb, and blind BoD.

by: Volvo351 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 27 05:49:32 2015

@Comet

I'm no expert on networking at the macro level but maybe someone can tell us if it's possible that your items are on a server that's somehow limited to traffic from a particular region or ISP? Or, as some would speculate, the available buying activity is being doled out grudgingly; ie. they're spreading the pain?

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Mon Jul 27 07:02:12 2015

Comet and Volvo351, I have noticed these patterns too. Someone turned off the server in late May, and not only did orders fall, the number of watchers fell. I have no doubt that this is due to manipulation. We have multiple eBay sites, and we have seen this situation on all of them

I have also noticed that most of the sales we get are from the surrounding states.  I am guessing that eBay is doing this so that sellers meet their very unrealistic shipping expectations.

As I have said before, don't listen to what eBay say they will do, look at what they actually do.

I'm putting 90% of my efforts on sites that don't hide my listings and manipulate search.

by: GotToGetOut This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 27 07:06:46 2015

Ebay needs to find buyers -- not sellers!

I've been an 17 year seller on Ebay. Always sold $4000 - $8000 a month for many years until the last few. Had the lowest sales ever this month -- leaving for vacation tomorrow and this is it for me -- $1670 with a $179.99 discounted month store fee of over 11% before I've even made a sale. the only winner in this scenario is Ebay!

Luckily, I just became eligible for full social security. August 17 will be my first check and will end my need to depend upon Ebay for any income. I'm on the road to finally getting out!! Yeah.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Mon Jul 27 08:43:59 2015

Ditto the lowest sales ever this month (July 2015) GotToGetOut.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Mon Jul 27 10:54:46 2015

My sales are the same as they've been for the past decade. Same old eBay.

by: maribellr This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 27 11:02:51 2015

I sometimes wonder if perhaps that are just too many sellers on ebay.  Is there a place where we can see how many items for sale on ebay and how many sellers.  Just curiouss.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Mon Jul 27 11:10:08 2015

maribellr, if search worked properly, and one had great products, it would not matter how many sellers are on eBay. When a company plays games with visibility and actually hide listings...well no one can rise above that.

A buyer can not find items, now matter how great they are, if eBay hides them.

by: Volvo351 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 27 11:31:50 2015

Poster 'Maribelle' wonders if there are "too many sellers" on eBay. That's like asking if a newspaper has "too many subscribers" which of course these days they don't! Sellers are the PAYING CUSTOMERS. We count on a service to push merchandise out the door at a profit. A REASONABLE fee for that service is expected and acceptable.  Gouging on fees [more than doubled since about 8 years ago] and NO PROMOTION in return isn't acceptable.

You should of course be LISTING here with the expectation of SELLING the item, and the PROFIT is its own and sufficient reward. I wouldn't mind if eBay turned that "sweepstakes" around and offered a prize to BUYERS. That would at least make biz sense. These guys did go to "business school," right? Of course, they opted out, or slept through, Biz Ethics 101!

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 27 12:09:29 2015

@ Rexford and Volvo351---

Yes this is THE most dismal I have EVER seen it----I could probably place my stuff on a table at the end of my driveway on my quite rural road and sell MORE.  Probably for better PRICES too.

I am NOT going to give this stuff away--I already have very competitive prices on all of my items--and I KNOW that WHEN they are SEEN they SELL.

On one account I am seeing bizarrly HIGH "view"  numbers which even in the Olden Days of ebay would have been strange--over 100 Views on a BELT?   Over 200 Views on a Ralph Lauren coat--with NO offers;  I think it has 2 Watches on it--and it has been on there for WEEKS.  I researched it (and have sold similar items in the past)  and it is square in the middle of prices for similar.  NOTHING on that account has SOLD.

On one of the other accounts I got one "Offer"  for LESS than half price on the ONE item I "stock";  it killed me but I made a counter offer and never heard back;  not giving this stuff away AND if they should--as they did awhile ago----SHOW the Best Offer Price--then I would be screwed and never able to ASK the real price again as long as that artificial price showed!

The other accounts sold that grand total of THREE items--for the ENTIRE MONTH.

The problem is NOT "Too many sellers"--it is EXPOSURE.  They could have the Hope Diamond listed and if no one KNEW they could not SELL it.

This is the FIRST thing you are suppossed TO learn in B-School--but I think they musta bought their "diplomas"  off of ebay.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Mon Jul 27 12:21:43 2015

Good post Comet, and I could not agree more.  We also will not give our items away.  It is shameless what eBay does.

And mean while we get the "Top Tips For Selling Your Items On eBay" emails from them. What a joke that is.

I guess the Chinese and eBay's enterprise darlings are getting all of the exposure.

Yep Wenig, you are really reconnecting with small sellers.  JD's shoes fit you perfectly.

by: ebayisscrewed This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 27 12:33:37 2015

eBay just misses the entire point over and over again.  Their small sellers are their buyers. Give them no visibility or sales and they have no money to purchase on the site.  Pretty simple.  Good video about this:  Transactional Reciprocity vs Transactional Hijacking

by: Owen This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 27 15:22:08 2015

toolguy-

I said it before and will say it again. You would do well, even on your own selling website. You have very, very specific items that you sell, and you are an expert in them. Buyers would seek you out, no matter where you are. You really don't need eBay. You certainly could go it alone. You have a list of many, many followers, I am sure. eBay got you going, but you could continue on without them for sure, and keep more money in your pocket. To compare yourself and your sales to others who are not as specific, and rather rare, is like comparing apples and oranges.