Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Sun July 19 2015 09:34:53

eBay Adds Shipping Delivery Component to Feedback System

eBay began testing a new component to is feedback system in the spring that's now rolling out to more - possibly all - users. Now when buyers rate sellers on a transaction, eBay presents them with a new question: "Did your item arrive on or before..."

Buyers are already able to leave "Detailed Seller Ratings" (DSRs) on a seller's shipping time ("How quickly did the seller ship the item?"). But now eBay displaying an "Estimated Delivery Date" (eBay calculates this date, not the seller) and is asking buyers, "Did the item arrive on or before (date)?" Buyers can answer yes or no.
Sellers have weighed in on the new question on EcommerceBytes and the eBay boards since they first observed testing as far back as May. Some issues and questions raised included: how eBay would interpret the information; why eBay would ask buyers about delivery when it already knows through shipping-carrier tracking information; and whether it indicated eBay was allowing buyers to rate sellers on the performance of shipping carriers rather than sellers.

On this discussion board, a seller said eBay's estimated delivery dates were aggressive (this is a common grievance), and another wrote, "Just by asking it in that way, at that time, it makes it seem even more like a promise instead of an estimate."

We wonder how sellers feel about this new aspect of eBay's feedback rating system. Please take a few moments to take our survey on Survey Monkey. We'll share the results in a future issue of EcommerceBytes.

And in the meantime, let us know if you're seeing the new "Did your item arrive on or before" question when leaving feedback, and if you've had any communication from eBay about this change.

Perminate Link for eBay Adds Shipping Delivery Component to Feedback System   eBay Adds Shipping Delivery Component to Feedback System

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Sun Jul 19 09:49:35 2015

Is is eBay rating the shipping service or the seller?  Oh, the seller of course.

Despite the fact that sellers can mail packages immediately, eBay continue to look for ways to punish the seller. Moreover, looking for more ways to cause resentment between buyers and sellers.

Wenig had a chance to make a difference, but we all see that eBay is up to the same. "Connecting with small sellers."  How did the man even utter that with a straight face.

I really hope that Wenig is not under the same misconception that John Donahoe was under, and that is, that eBay can survive without its small sellers.   Look at the current state of marketplaces as JD makes his much anticipated (by sellers) exit.   Nuff said.   The noise will not stop until eBay does right by those who built it from the ground up.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Sun Jul 19 09:55:51 2015

I wonder if sellers will be able to view the results?

I ship same day or next 99% of the time. It would be interesting to see if I'm making the grade or if USPS is hurting me?

by: ssusannss This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jul 19 10:44:15 2015

Ebay heads of state seem to continually forget that buyers are not always sellers, but most sellers are (or in my case, were) buyers on ebay. The more they punish me and make me jump higher, the more I buy product from Amazon. They are trying to woo me back as a buyer by beating me to death. Not working.

by: brokentoys19 This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jul 19 10:54:56 2015

Are buyers able to be rated for how fast they pay? Or IF they pay? Oh nevermind... hahahaha

Once again, he says one thing then does another. They're looking for more ways to connect with your pocketbooks. Another hegalian contrivance to place your funds on hold or cheat you from discounts. LOL.

But rexford, the noise will stop. When all but the most brainwashed, gullible, koolaid quenched  American Mom-Pop ooak/genuine vintage sellers are purged then replaced by quiet chinese child slave laborers who make the fake vintage and poison plastic crap for Devil Weanie's new eBay.

(But they'll still be welcome to buy stuff.)

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Sun Jul 19 11:03:07 2015

What if buyers lie about this?

Doesn't eBay already have this info from the shippers?

by: PattyR This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jul 19 12:22:17 2015

Well eBay has finally won, It costs me more to sell on here than I make. The new Kastope (sp?) is not going to get anymore money from me after this week. I would go to Bonanza but they are connected to eBay, so no help to me. As a small Weing I am gone.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jul 19 13:00:53 2015

@Rexford :) You (in my opinion) are %100 correct.

eBay just loves to create chaos for no reason. They love to be anti-seller, they love to make the relationship between seller and buyer adversarial instead of friendly and warm.

ANYONE who thought Wenig would be different then Donohue is out of their skull.

eBay has 32,750 employees and this is the best idea they have?

by: val2525 This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jul 19 13:11:15 2015

What is incredibly stupid about the question is on the same screen, just above the FB box and question, eBay shows THE ACTUAL CONFIRMED DELIVERY DATE.  So if eBay already knows the delivery date, WTH is this question even being asked?

by: brokentoys19 This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jul 19 13:21:33 2015

@val2525

To borrow a quote:

"Diseased nature oftentimes breaks forth In strange eruptions."

by: comments This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jul 19 13:32:18 2015

As a buyer I feel it is more like a survey then leaving feedback. There are so many questions to answer. Why not just let me leave my honest feedback and be done with it? Thankfully they don't yet require me to explain why I bought it and what I did with it. Thats about the only thing they don't ask.......

by: gizmo This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jul 19 13:59:07 2015

Seems like they question their own estimates. Maybe checking themselves. End result , will be sellers fault , not carrier.

by: Troy Stiffler This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jul 19 13:59:39 2015

I was optimistic that the ''improvements'' coming were going to be meaningful.

Seeing this ''improvement'', I actually feel a little bit of pity for Ebay and their ''development'' team.   They just don't ''get'' what will make their platform desirable again.

Three days ago, I believed what Devin told stock holders about reconnecting with small businesses and making things work.  If this is an indication of what's coming, they should put efforts into leaner operations and prepare to stay profitable in a much smaller market.

by: serioussellers This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jul 19 14:03:50 2015

It is ultimately a moot point for many sellers whose items are never (or are only very rarely) shown in search results.

No visibility = No sales = No need for dealing with eBay's contrived FB system.

But since the occasional rare ''sale'' is often to one of the eBay criminals/buyers, this new FB question gives those in the wonderful & nefarious world of eBay institutionalized crime another ''club'' with which to threaten, abuse & ultimately destroy (the rapidly shrinking pool of legitimate/experienced/diligent) small sellers.

Obviously, it provides a very efficient & blatantly contrived tool that can be used to almost instantly remove the remaining small seller ''noise''.

On almost all of our many listings the delivery dates so optimistically declared by eBay are virtually impossible.  Even magical drones and private chartered jets could not meet the almighty eBay deadline dates -- unless they were parked right outside of our door & we instantly handed the couriers the items without wasting any precious time to even pack them properly (& if eBay got the Federal Aviation Administration to clear airspace for their almighty customers'/buyers' purchases)!

Maybe there should be a third answer (and it would certainly be the universally correct one): ''No, of course it did not arrive on or before that date -- since some idiots totally unfamiliar with the realities of ecommerce and the shipping industry live in eBay corporate La La Land and lack both basic common sense and business acumen''.

At least in future business & marketing classes, the eBay debacle/demise will provide professors with a plentiful supply of mind boggling examples of total INSANITY and corporate self-destructive sabotage (accompanied by cleverly facilitated unjust enrichment).  Smart students will be writing theses & dissertations analyzing the suicidal implosion that we have sadly been witnessing from the trenches.  Maybe some of the small seller ''veterans'' will still be around to be interviewed (for ''oral histories'') and to provide their files & business records for documentation -- of the rise and fall of a visionary American enterprise.

by: gizmo This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jul 19 14:13:08 2015

business > "What not to do" The rise & fall of an american icon.

@serioussellers : DITTO

by: Michael in BC This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jul 19 16:03:02 2015

Although I sell on the US site, I live in Canada, with most of my sales being to the US or international.  The CHEAPEST tracking method for anything sent from Canada to the US starts at about US $20, so trackable methods are not an option for most of my items.  Almost all of my packages bear actual postage stamps which are hand-cancelled with a clear date, so buyers can see when a package was sent.

Will the ''did this item arrive on or before (date)?'' question show up on international sales ?

Any delivery dates suggested by eBay for overseas shipments are pure pie-in-the-sky given the variables involved (local postal/customs work slowdowns are just one factor,... packages being delayed at a central sorting hub as in the UK is another factor).

How will eBay use the results ?  It's not as if they can speed things up once they're in the mail stream.  Must sellers deal with feedback and with DSRs and with defects and now mail stream delays ?

I'm looking forward to reading the cheerleaders' positive take on this one.

by: P.Dorf This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jul 19 16:32:53 2015

Cribbed from Amazon.

Ebay has NO new ideas.

by: Santini This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jul 19 16:48:16 2015

Again with the questions?
See, this is absolutely one of the reasons I rarely buy on ebay, I know it's not required but I don't buy to feel obligated to fill out a census form for every purchase. What's it we're asked to do now, give feedback, 1 to 5 stars for each of 5 categories and now this? Just shut up and GET OUT OF MY HEAD ebay, enough is enough!

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Sun Jul 19 17:43:12 2015

ssusannss says "The more they punish me and make me jump higher, the more I buy product from Amazon."

Same here ssusannss.  In the old days I probably spent $1000 per month on eBay, but then again, it wasn't unusual for me to make $5,000+ per month.  Due to how eBay treats me as a seller, and due to the complete lack of respect, I don't spend a dime there anymore, and I haven't in years.

Are you listening eBay?  How many seller/ex-buyers think like ssusannss and me?

by: Jane Dough This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jul 19 18:21:53 2015

I hate them so much. I sold my first item in Oct. 1997 and my last item in Nov. 2014, when I closed my PayPal account. The PayPal return policy was my last straw. The assault on the seller will never end!

by: Volvo351 This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jul 19 18:30:52 2015

As already pointed on on various 'net forums, this simply paints another TARGET on seller's backs. While presumably the yes/no answer doesn't Ding a DSR or count as a "defect" it just MAY cause the buyer to reconsider shipping time in light of the "expected" delivery date; ie. he remembers or perhaps just imagines that the item got there "late" and By Golly! he plants a Big Fat "1" or "2" next to Shipping Time DSR.

Now, eBay knows perfectly well, from on-line TRACKING, whether the item got there within the time that Devil Wingnut, and NOT the seller, estimated. So, this is WORTHLESS as far as a metric collection measure, especially since it depends on human error. Technically, eBay is too busy breaking stuff to actually analyze the data they already have available. Also, just plain too stupid.

1 2 3 4 5  [Next Page]