Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Sun July 12 2015 11:59:37

Have You Tried eBay Promoted Listing Ads?

More eBay sellers are receiving invitations to participate in eBay's Promoted Listings advertising program as it opens up to more sellers. The company had tested the program last fall and announced the program this spring, but it's still by invitation only.

There are advantages to paying only when you get a sale - but instead of paying an insertion fee, you pay a higher commission.

The way the program works is that sellers set a rate for each item they're willing to pay - "the percentage of an item's sale price you're willing to pay to promote it." And, eBay explains, "When we charge your ad fee, we first look at the time of sale, then look 30 days back for the click that led to the sale. We charge the fee based on the ad rate that was in place at the time the ad was first displayed."

We'll be writing more about the eBay Promoted Listings advertising program in Newsflash - if you've tried it, let us know what you think - and how would you compare it to other advertising programs?

And if you've received an invitation and decided not to try it, let us know why.

Perminate Link for Have You Tried eBay Promoted Listing Ads?   Have You Tried eBay Promoted Listing Ads?

This user has validated their user name. by: LDS Brother

Sun Jul 12 13:09:23 2015

As a matter of fact I have and the result is $0

I think the best strategy is to close eBay down forever !

It lasted 20 years, it is a ghost town, I am so grateful to have moved on and salvaged my career on other sites and brick and mortar.

Had I of not, I would be on the street corner asking for donations and homeless !

Top Rated = ZERO Benefit of sales
My excellent placement in Best Match = ZERO benefit in sales/growth
Promoted Listings has equaled = ZERO sales

And I declare, for me Being TRS + Great Best Match Placement has netted me 1 sale per week this entire summer !

This site is dead, no traffic, no buyers, the few that are there get funneled to where eBay wants them to.

I am not here to bash eBay for the sake of bashing it, I am just telling the truth, it is DEAD !

Top Rated, Promoted gets me $15 a week this summer, the show is over folks ! Donahoe came in and ruined at as we knew he would, as we said he was year after year after year, I can say MISSION ACCOMPLISHED !

Please Devin, close her down, that is the best option so another site can really thrive, you guys have ran eBay into the ground, and she ain't never coming back, time for you to put this site out of comission !

Best Promotion would be to pull the plug on eBay, so another site could grow or be created, and I say all this from the bottom of my heart becuase it is true on my account, there is NOTHING, and I repeat NOTHING to help my sales, so again if TRS, Gret Placement, and Promoted for 20% commission gets me 1 sale per week, there is no hope for ANY seller !

So long eBay, it has not been nice knowing you !

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Sun Jul 12 14:27:44 2015

Too little, too late ebafia.

Now an utter waste of time and money. How about just re setting the default search to Ending Soonest? That worked well for most sellers.

However, it didn't make ebafia any extra money by gouging sellers for services not rendered so it's unlikely to return.

On another note, I see Toys r Us and ebafia have parted company.

Good riddance to a bad rubbish seller whose business model represented one the major reasons why ebafia has failed.

Many of ebafia favored sellers have the worst customer service records and yet they remained as The Ho's darlings.

Damn! I keep forgetting that The Ho's goal never was to strengthen ebafia but to line his own pockets.

The fact alone that The Ho continues with PayPal should be enough to prevent any investor from buying PayPal stock.

Ebafia's corporate sociopathy, and The Ho delusions carry on.

The very definition of insanity.

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Sun Jul 12 15:25:20 2015

"it is a ghost town".....as evidenced by the fact that I have,apparently, bought EVERY SINGLE ONE of a particular item, of which there should be plenty more.
Should be Hundreds, if not Thousands of this item, and now not a single one can be had.
There are no more in existence. I have them ALL.
Maybe the only people left selling are mostly Ebay plants.

This user has validated their user name. by: LDS Brother

Sun Jul 12 15:37:46 2015

I have a warning for all other venues that you need to heed !

That is as you continue to grow ( And you will eBay is almost totally sunk ) Remember the great example learned from eBay !

Never get to big for your briches !

eBay used to laugh at us sellers when we said we are going to this site or that site ! eBay used to smuggly basically say " Good Luck ! There is no buyers on those sites !"

Well since the slap heard around the world ( Google Search Demotion in 2014 ) there is no buyers on eBay !

Auctions = Pathetic Final Price, so I can no linger run auctions, as winning bidder can buy my items cheaper than I can

"Buy It Now" even with Top Rated Plus, awesome placement in Bets Match, and now even offering 20% of final sale price to promote my listing = ZERO

I have never seen eBay so dead in my life selling on it since almost it's beginning in 1995

I am not here, just to run eBay down to the ground, the site is worse now in 2015 then it was in 2014 after a hack, and Google demoting them !

Other sites out there, that will grow when eBay is soon finally no more even open, learn from eBay, learn that even though you need buyers, as do the sellers, you need sellers also, are there are no buyers to come and browse/buy.

Learn to treat the sellers with respect, come up with FAIR ways to identify and punish the real offenders ( Bad Sellers ) Don't just say ok, 3 bad apples, lets punish the other 97 also !

In my opinion, Donahoe is an untalented failure of epic proportions !

Sure his net worth would disagree with me, but what did he do to improve eBay ? To help get rid of bad sellers, rather than most good sellers also ?

He lined his pockets, but nothing to help the loyal, dedicated sellers who cherished eBay grow. he virtually all but exterminated us !

Oh sure eBay will help remove a defect now, if you call them 10 times in a row, but that option should of been available when the defects first came out for fairness.

I do not believe John Donahoe has a fair, or compassionate, or empathetic bone in his whole body !

Now Uncle Griff, who said it was the sellers faults for all the changes at eBay, is asking us to help with a catalog to make or break eBay

Griffster, my non friend, it is broke beyond repair !

Even IF as Ming said, rolling back time ending soonest as default was implemented, it is to late ! Why ? Google is not sending any traffic to eBay

That was the definitive blow to eBay, the Google demotion ! Or call it the knockout punch !

The site was reeling from Donahoes mismanagement and abuse of his sellers, but Google was the straw that broke the camels back for sure !

So I can only warn you other sites, you must have RESPECT for your member, buyers and sellers !

11 main was joke in my opinion, and here is why !

I applied to sell on their site ! Almost 20 years as seller, 17,000 feedbacks, and Top Rated, and I was not accepted, and told to try back again some other day !

Guess what ? I never did, I said to H*LL with that elitist site !

And look it has what been sold ?

The next site to win, will be fun, fair and respect all members, and punish those users buyers and sellers who truly do deserve to be suspended, punished !

eBau you have treated us like SH*T way to long, forgive us if we think you can take Griff's Catalog and shove it the darkest cavern in his bottom orifice !

Wenig, please just announce the closure of eBay, we all have moved on, and many more need to, and when that evil cancer eBay has closed, others will be motivated to create a fun, safe, fair selling environment and remembering that treat the sellers with respect and dignity also !

by: Orwellwasright This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jul 12 16:29:03 2015

Ebay :

Will only the highlight the sellers who provide the best service, the best product, who have the best record , and who provide the value and products ebay buyers want:

Or :

Invited junk dumpers who pay a "premium" fee to get to the front of the line

Any pretense of respectability has been thusly eradicated.

Also there's a fascinating catch 22 here : For the most part , the sellers will have to pass this "premium" onto the buyers wither through higher prices, or by selling lower quality (cheaper) goods so much for a high quality "buyer experience"

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Sun Jul 12 16:29:29 2015

“… but instead of paying an insertion fee, you pay a higher commission.”

Hmmm, no listing fee but a still higher FVF percentage? In reality, eBay’s FVF percentage has over the years increased to the point that it now approaches that of traditional auction house commissions, and eBay does (so it claims) nothing but provide only the venue.

I understand that Invaluable.com charges an additional ~3% (usually passed on to the buyer if the sale results from Invaluable) for aggregating traditional auctions and providing those traditional auction houses, that actually do much of the work, with a most professional online presence …

Is it any wonder that the eBay marketplace is continuing to atrophy—well done, Johnny Ho; now, let’s see how much damage this cretin can do the already clunky “PreyPal” …

The eBay executive suite—where the incompetent mingle with the disingenuous, the malevolent and the outright criminal, and the just plain stupid … http://bit.ly/11F2eas

by: gizmo This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jul 12 19:37:09 2015

OK lets try this. Ebay is dead. Deadbay I call it. Pay per view ? why would I ? No more pain , run if you can. This venue is done. No-one can do anything. They have lost trust. PERIOD !

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Sun Jul 12 19:46:34 2015

Just remember that the ex-Bain cretin that has caused all the problems on the eBay marketplace, having completed that task apparently to the satisfaction of eBay's board or directors, is removing himself to the equally clunky "PreyPal"—Look out PayPal users, Johnny Ho is coming ...

by: Volvo351 This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jul 12 19:55:30 2015

We're already paying the crooked "ecommerce platform" Out the Wazoo! Listing fees. Final Value fees. PayPig Fees. "Final Value on freakin' SHIPPING COSTS!

For what we're forking over, we should have TRAFFIC on the site, and VISIBILITY of our items to that traffic. Demanding that we pay MORE, just to get what we got for less than HALF the price a few years ago, is Highway Robbery. Gouging the paying customer base is how The Hoe & His Forty Thieves got stinkin' rich.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Sun Jul 12 19:56:53 2015

Congratulations John Donahoe. Just as sellers predicted, you killed it.  I don't know how many millions you have made over the years, but in my opinion you are a multi-million dollar empty suit.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jul 12 19:59:42 2015

I'm STILL confused about this whole thing.

You hide your sellers listings with Cassini, then tell them you will give them MORE visibility (is this the visibility they SHOULD have had to start with?) and they expect someone ??? to "go for it"?

There's NO ONE THING that eBay does for anyone but itself, ever.

There's not one program that has remained constant (they have always slid into becomming a money magnet), and theres never been a process that has been even handed.

Even if this program "sorta worked" ... how could i EVER trust eBay?

I know GSP doesnt really work (they have been loosing way too many items lately (since they shifted from using Fed Ex to the destinations countries mail system)).

I know Seller Protection doesnt work - there is none.

I know that VERO doesnt work - its play for pay.

I know Managed Returns dont work - its just an eBay profit center

I also know that if GIS and Paypal "worked", eBay would be selling them off - after all what for? WHo would jettison the money making parts of an operation? (makes no sence at all). They even sold off the craigslist stuff (what ever the issue was) .... ok Ina and every one else - how bad IS the cash flow over in San Jose? And, where is it all going?

I wouldnt DARE try a program like this - I dont trust eBay at all.

I do know that instead of fixing eBay, it was turned from an ecommerce site into a money making scam center - and thats enough to make me wary of ANYTHING eBay says - ever!

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jul 12 20:01:36 2015

eBay wouldNT be selling them off

typo - appologies

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jul 12 20:06:17 2015

Ming mentions Paypal stock - and how right he is.

Buying Paypal stock is like gambling.

Paypal cant bring in ANY revenue on its own - or they wouldnt have forced eBay to agree to give them %80 of their current revenues!

PLUS, Paypals entire business model is based on an upside down pyramid scheme.

Everytime Paypal lets a seller win - it costs them (actually their factor/insurance co) money. They have ZERO incentive to be honest - since being honest and taking a sellers side will literally put them out of business.

They are actually betting that sellers will loose these cases and they will get to keep their fees!

Its bizzaro land. They are betting their sellers will fail - and if they dont they will simply rule against you.

If they cant force it - they can tell the buyer to open a case in eBay and "get you there".

The WHOLE THING is worse then playing poker with the triads in a dirty Chinatown basement - you KNOW you are going to loose ... no matter what!

by: Owen This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jul 12 20:52:57 2015

I thought we were all paying money now, to get visibility--Oh, excuse me, my bad. NOT

Why would anyone throw good money after bad? If someone paid a visibility fee now, in a little while, eBay would up the ante and start hiding your listings again, unless you pay more. The hook would be in and set, they just have to reel you in.

It's a nasty game with no end in sight.

Sellers are nothing more than cash cows. Pay money for nothing, no views, no sales, no advertising, no nothing.

eBay will just want more and more and more.

FEED ME!!

This user has validated their user name. by: bitbybit

Sun Jul 12 21:45:15 2015

It's pretty obvious the eBay well has run dry in looking for ways to steal more money from sellers. So now they are down to this pathetic listing ads promotion IF your item sells. This is a big IF and it appears to be out of desperation.

Not sure if I am understanding this convoluted promotion. ''eBay explains, ''When we charge your ad fee, we first look at the time of sale, then look 30 days back for the click that led to the sale. We charge the fee based on the ad rate that was in place at the time the ad was first displayed.'' So a buyer clicks to what just look and then later buys sometime in that 30 days? Too confusing with too many hidden variables and besides... how many sellers left trust eBay?

Yes you have to pay to play but on eBay you have to pay again and again and again.....while sellers profits go down, down, down.

by: moto-science This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jul 12 23:27:41 2015

Buy it
Break it
Return it or Not
Get your Refund Anyway
- Ebay.....

It's been a good year in the Titanic control room, they just threw the small sellers overboard......again.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Sun Jul 12 23:32:34 2015

I'll pass on the promotion.

I'm happy with the exposure I'm already getting on eBay. . .

by: rachel This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 13 00:32:11 2015

Best to just have a sale since that moves one up in listings but repeated sales can backfire as buyers watch and wait. At least that way though you would be giving it back to customers who buy and may favorite your items in the future...not back to the master eBay who has been hiding listings in order to force sellers to do what they have to do. Yes eBay you do have competition from other venues (besides Amazon).

by: Tim This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 13 00:32:21 2015

Another mimic-Amazon "idea" done poorly for the benefit of a chosen few. Instead of ripping off Amazon's policy ideas, that you don't understand enough to actually implement, how about if the drones at eBay instead get an original idea, or at least mimic the successful overarching Amazon ethos?

by: rachel This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 13 00:33:32 2015

You blew it! Lost momentum, lost uniqueness adn forced sellers into cookie cutter products...

1 2 3 4  [Next Page]