Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Thu July 2 2015 22:37:19

Griff Calls on Sellers to Save eBay with Catalog Initiative

Everything is riding on eBay's new catalog strategy, according to longtime employee Jim "Griff" Griffith - in fact, it's make or break for eBay, he said. On Monday, June 29th, the marketplace began requiring sellers to add Product Identifiers to their listings, such as UPC codes and ISBN numbers, in order for eBay to build out its product catalog and get more exposure in Google.

After explaining the requirements and then listing the advantages of adding identifiers in a post on Wednesday, Griff wrote, "All of these points are why I believe that this is the most important project we have launched in years. Its success is critical to our being able to compete. And we cannot do it without you! Your contribution in providing this information - Brands, MPNs, and GTINs when you list - will determine whether or not we continue as a major marketplace in the world. THAT is why we have launched Product Identifiers."

He called the project "literally, make or break," and asked sellers to pitch in by adding as many Product Identifiers as they could to their new and existing inventory.

Incoming CEO Devin Wenig had told Wall Street analysts in April that adding a structured data catalog would give eBay persistence and link equity in search engines like Google, making sellers' inventory more discoverable, both on and off eBay. "We'll move toward becoming the world's first online global marketplace to use structured catalog data at scale for all listings," Wenig said at the time.

Sellers discussed Griff' plea for them to help eBay create a catalog on an eBay discussion board.

"Sounds like Griff is saying the writing is on the wall for the end of eBay and the product identifiers are the last hope to salvage this sinking ship," wrote one seller.

"eBay is building a catalog that they are going to make money off of and they are asking their indentured servant-uh sellers to do all the work for them. And are dangling the carrot promise of better sales to motivate us," wrote another.

Another seller said Griff's explanation made it sound as though eBay wanted to focus more on new items and distance themselves even more from older items, "even though they've been talking a bit like they want to rebuild the old eBay. It's rather ominous actually."

Tomorrow's Newsflash (available now) has more information, and let us know what you think.

Perminate Link for Griff Calls on Sellers to Save eBay with Catalog Initiative   Griff Calls on Sellers to Save eBay with Catalog Initiative

by: comments This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 2 22:50:40 2015

If griff wants it then it must be no good. This guy is more anti seller then JD was.

by: sasikat9 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 2 22:57:51 2015

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

Hey Jimbo it isn't April 1 but your joke was funny anyways

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

Excuse me folks but it was so funny.

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA  HA HA HA

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 2 23:11:40 2015

Griff is just jealous and hanging in there hoping eBay will find $23 million for him.

NEWSFLASH JIMBO - they arent going to, stop wasting your time.

Had you not wasted the last 5-10 years playing chearleader to every STUPID idea JD had - you would be in a better position then you are now.

Of course over at eBay ATM you're a fat cat rich guy, making LOTS of money - so I as a seller YOU HELPED STEAL from - dont feel bad for you OR eBay.

wHAT rubbish "And we cannot do it without you! " SURE YOU CAN.

Amazon did it, Sears does it, Rakuten does it, why cant eBay?

Why force this cr@p on sellers? Why make them do YOUR WORK.

Stop being so G-D D@MN CHE@P and use ICECAT.

DUMB GRIFF - heres the URL for it, since you cant seem to find it!

Open Icecat is a worldwide unique open catalogue with product data-sheets in co-operation with high tech sponsoring brands and online channel partners. Open Icecat data-sheets are fully approved by the sponsoring manufacturers and are distributed for free to the online channel.

Thanks to the direct connection between Icecat and the sponsoring manufacturers, everyday Icecat is able to import their portfolio of products which will then be controlled and standardized by Icecat’s editorial team.

Open Icecat contains more than half a million datasheets of IT, CE, Telecom and Office supply brands standardized in 2 online formats for easy implementing, categorizing, filtering, searching and comparing of products. The most popular and new products are quickly described as soon they are in the market.

What rich content is included in an Open Icecat data-sheet?

*Brand name
   *Manufacturer Part Number
   *Categorization (UNSPSC based)
   *Product images (unlimited)
   *Multimedia content (demos, product video’s)
   *Multilingual marketing text
   *Standardized specifications for search & compare
   *Leaflets, User manuals (PDF)
   *Options (related products)
   *Alternative products
   *General Data: release date, modification date
   *Logistic data: EAN/UPC code, weight & dimensions

They have 2684807 data-sheets and 11156 brands.

People PLEASE stop believing every thing eBay says ... %99.9 is NOT true!

by: aim04744 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 2 23:22:36 2015

The only problem with this is, used items dont have these kinds of numbers. And a whole lot of stuff on Ebay is used.

by: Bloggo This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jul 3 00:00:28 2015

23 Million Dollars would have gone on long way in helping eBay to build its product catalog.
Idiots.

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Fri Jul 3 00:25:10 2015

Too funny. Finally, "Greif" is telling the truth (and you know things must be desperate when they do that): he's implying what many already know, that eBay is indeed on its knees and is now pleading for help from those that the cretinous Johnny Ho has been dumping on for the past eight years. ...

Just one question Greif, what did Johnny Ho do to deserve that last $23 million, other than bring the eBay marketplace to its knees, that is?

The eBay executive suite—where the incompetent mingle with the disingenuous, the malevolent and the outright criminal, and the just plain stupid … http://bit.ly/11F2eas

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Fri Jul 3 00:34:33 2015

99% of my items have NO UPC or ISBN numbers.

Most of my stuff is American made over 50 years old.

Sorry Griff, I'll be of no help to your catalog. . .

by: Volvo351 This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jul 3 00:58:22 2015

What TF?  eBay appeals to SELLERS to bail it out?  After they've done WORSE than nothing to help US since The Hoe [many would say Meg] was running this chicken-crap outfit?

Unfreakin' believable! Do these people have no shame? [That's a rhetorical Q!]

by: Frank F This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jul 3 01:09:20 2015

Ebay, I would add them and have tried, but when a listing ends and I try to list it again using 'sell similar', you remove the UPCs.. Remember, you are the one with Cassini (and even in your promos) to do sell similar, as relist you will be at the bottom of the search.

You need a new option called 'sell again' or something like that , that doesn't remove the UPC... C'Mon man, get it done and maybe I will add them.

I even took some GTC and created auction listings and it removed the UPC. And all your tools need to take care of this. And how about a way to mass update theme too, so you don't have to do them one by one (or fill in a field one by one).... I have many that have the same upc and would love to fill it in for all of them w/o doing a 100 cut/pastes.. Make it simply and easy and it will get done...

We am not going to keep inserting them over and over again, that is assinine.

This user has validated their user name. by: Bill

Fri Jul 3 01:25:24 2015

The whole thing is too little too late. Other marketplaces have been doing this for a few years now. eBay could have done this 10 years ago but the idiots at the top were more interested in lining their pockets then to make eBay a truly dynamic marketplace.
Very, very sad,

by: Santini This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jul 3 01:56:21 2015

Maybe Jim Girth and DW can run some donuts up to Mountain View, that will fix the "discoverability" issues for sure. It's only about a dozen miles.

by: gramophone-georg This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jul 3 02:26:59 2015

There's one simple way to fix what's wrong with eBay, and that is to turn the clock back to the day before Comrade Ho took over- in other words, bring back the fun and enthusiasm that was eBay before Comrade Ho began his still unfinished three year plan, now to be continued at PayPal.

by: ebay-dreckfresser This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jul 3 06:52:12 2015

I hope Walmart doesn't steal Uncle Grief away from ebay in the course of Walmart's ongoing theft of ebay's ''talent.''

Walmart's theft of ebay's technical talent will cause glitches and technical problems on ebay's flawless website.

And Walmart's theft of Uncle Grief will jeopardize the positive ''seller experience'' which ebay's small sellers now enjoy.

This user has validated their user name. by: LDS Brother

Fri Jul 3 07:27:27 2015

You know where can I begin ? Griff calls on sellers to save eBay with catalog initiative ?

John Donahoe destroyed us sellers on eBay, and destroyed eBay, now Grig asks us to save eBay with the latest failed attempt to bring it back from the dead ?

I am so grateful I have found greener pastures, as I would be bankrupt if I had to live on 2015 eBay income

In all honesty 2015 has been the worse ever, and I did not think it could get any worse than it was in 2014 after the Hack and Smack !

The smack that was heard around the world ! You know, Google demoting eBay !

But somehow it has !

Now I am still Top Rated, but won't be much longer, as there is no sales on this dead, OR Manipulated site !

There is 2 things going on for me on eBay, either it is so dead and irrelevant, that nobody truly is visiting eBay these days to buy, OR eBay is controlling my views, smaller sites, alternatives have generated me hundreds of sales this year, but the biggest baddest site on the planet, nets me 1 sale every 7 to 10 days ?

Something is seriously wrong with that !

I think it is dead, compared to pre google traffic, but I still think they are hiding the listings of small Top Rated Sellers, to funnel  shoppers to where they want to, Big Box and Chinese !

I truly cannot like an other poster I read, cannot say enough bad things about eBay, and all deserved !

Make or Break ? Donahoe broke eBay, and lined his wallet along the way !

Unless Mr. Wenig restores it to it's old unique and fun site it was governed by the peoples feedback, and people able to make their own choice on whom they wanna purchase from, or what they wanna pay for shipping, they seriously may as well close it down for good !

I don't care at this point, I will keep plugging away on other sites, and brick and mortar, the now $15.00 profit a week I average in May, and June and July won't be missed, it will be more of a blessing to see this site just shut down !

It is sad, what Donahoe was allowed to do to this site, it's sellers, and get rewarded for it, but what's done is done, and there is no turning back !

I am just thankful I finally took all of your advice, and found my exit strategy, and I hope all you hanging on find yours !

eBay sucks, it is a waste of any small to medium sellers, time, talents, effort etc.

The small gain is no where near worth the pain a small to medium seller must endure !

CLOSE IT DOWN WENIG !

eBay's time has come, thanks to Donahoe, and good riddance to eBay !

by: maxmad This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jul 3 08:00:32 2015

IMO only an arrogant, irresponsible company would allow this clown to continue to represent their brand,

The ebay brand is tarnished, Not believable, not to be trusted, not for me.

Our website outputs structured data, and google has been finding our products quite well, even WITHOUT UPC,

We have UPC and ISBN for ALL our products we manufacture, it did not make one bit of difference to ebay with or without them, ebay listings go straight into a black hole, I can GAURENTEE ebay will use your UPC input to hurt your sales even more,

What Biff is saying is an outright LIE.

by: Donkey This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jul 3 08:01:04 2015

Let's all add UPC codes and identifiers so ebay can hide them like they do the item descriptions.

Ebay just keeps getting dumber.

This user has validated their user name. by: LDS Brother

Fri Jul 3 08:07:16 2015

Oh, LOL I forgot to mention, I thought I read where they might want to charge for more exposure ?

That is really funny !

I am Top Rated, till I am not from lack of sales, but still appear to get excellent placement, and it gets me $15.00 a week profit !

So I think I will pass on pay for more views !

That sounds just like 1 more quick scheme from eBay to line Managements pockets for short term gain, before they announce the site is closing down !

Another funny thing is when I found some time away from my other selling venues, and brick and mortar sales venue, to call eBay, and ask why I am making $15.00 aa week, the CR tells me you have no restrictions, your account is in good standing, you have good keywords, and good placement in Best Match, but never an answer on why I strived to get all that for $15.00 a week ?  LOL

I predicted on here a few years ago, that the time will come when eBay will announce: Thank you for all the years of buying and selling, and making eBay the first online ecommerce giant, but the time has come to close it down !

And seeing Griff taling about make or break time, I know it is really close now.

Anyone with a low IQ could of seen starting in 2008 that Donahoe was the Grim Reaper for eBay, he has succeeded.

Again, Wenig I ask you put eBay out of it's misery, and just close it, no need to rip any sellers off with pay to get views schemes, the site is dead, when Google demoted eBay, that was the final fatal blow !

Even though I no longer need eBay to make my living, I still am very upset about what it did to me, you and all sellers. The lack of respect or care for small t medium sellers, the hiding listings, hiding descriptions, it is all madness, rotten, cruel and just not excusable.

After Pay Pal and eBay split, eBay will sink rather quickly, and I am optimistic there will be another site that will give all the sellers who lost from eBay's treatment and destruction of us.

Good Riddance to eBay CLOSE IT DOWN ! It is a waste of everyones time !

by: ajeweler This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jul 3 08:54:59 2015

HaHaHa, now it is clear that big hole in the side of ebay shows that the ship is indeed sinking with greed

help them with the catalog Cassini that is what I have always thought people disagree but 6 months ago I posted this is coming

I do not think with the way they have treated their sellers that they will indeed receive any help from them,
may I suggest that ebay call on the china sellers to help with their catalog they are supposed to be leading in the industry

now if you are a seller and you indeed help them you are not helping your self because once ebay gets finished with you , your account will be Defected out of existence watch and see how many more drop ebay after this message I am so glad I jumped off this half sunk venue now over 8 months and I can say it is indeed stress free other places

@ phillip what do you still predict the 0-5% growth on ebay stocks I would venture more on the line of 0-1% at best

to all the remanding sellers left there this is clearly writing on the wall! and just think how many times you have pleaded for help with bad buyers, and the hold times and responses you received from ebay almighty

my advice tell them the same thing they told you for years

"I can feel your frustration however the sellers spoke and we listened " NO Not now never will the people you so rudely treated will help you now the bridge is burnt up and gone!!!!

2015 the end of ebay

we ban it like you ban the others the old sellers are the new VERO against ebay

by: Volvo351 This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jul 3 09:04:36 2015

Add me to the chorus of eBay sellers who deal in USED items...many over 30 years old. I deal in marine parts and even when I am the price leader, good merchandise goes begging. I won't make the mistake of running 99c auctions b/c there simply isn't the traffic to bid items up to fair value. I can't afford to ship and pack a heavy piece of equipment for nothing. I'll list on Craig's List for two weeks before I'll pay The Hoe's fees and risk his scamming buyers.

by: Volvo351 This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jul 3 09:08:26 2015

BTW, if Grief doesn't get the needed co-operation from his "fellow sellers" will he turn in his stock options?

I didn't think so!